Question re Content Guidelines

JackChandler

Virgin
Hi everyone! New to Lit, moving from another site, waiting for series to be published. My question, though, regards the content guidelines, specifically the statement that "works that promote or focus heavily on politics or religion, or political or religious figures" are prohibited. Okay. No problem. I'm not trying to preach. For background, my series involves a closeted gay kid at a private Christian University. There's plenty of explicit sex. The first 8 chapters should present no issues. Chapter 9 involves a homophobic chapel scene and the emotional impact on the main character. Without reading it, do you think that will fly? Thanks!

I have several stories where religion plays a huge part in describing a character's personality. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do - give the character a personality that will form his or her reaction to a particular situation. Describing how a character feels about something isn't promoting a religion over any others. It's just using a character's religious beliefs to explain why the plot goes where it goes.

I think what Literotica is trying to avoid is becoming a forum where "stories" are written with the intent of generating political or religious discussion rather than written with the intent of providing erotic entertainment. It's bad enough that "Loving Wives" seems to pull the moral judges out of the woodwork. Take a look at the "Politics Board" on the Forum and you'll see how quickly that could happen and how overpowering it could become. There's nothing wrong with espousing your personal views, but they don't belong as the subject of an erotic story.

Should be OK. It's proselytising stories or insults to religion that are what they really don't want. Gay content having some religious-origin homophobia is par for the course.

For reference, my stories include After the Funeral, where the MMC has very mixed feelings about the Catholic church he was raised in, and ends up quoting half the Catholic funeral service during his post-funeral gay sex.

I think it will be fine, as well. It's OK to use religion as a backdrop or as a motivating factor for a character as long as you don't come across as proselytizing either for or against religion. I used religion in this way in one of my stories, frequently quoting scripture, and it was fine.

Hi everyone! New to Lit, moving from another site, waiting for series to be published. My question, though, regards the content guidelines, specifically the statement that "works that promote or focus heavily on politics or religion, or political or religious figures" are prohibited. Okay. No problem. I'm not trying to preach. For background, my series involves a closeted gay kid at a private Christian University. There's plenty of explicit sex. The first 8 chapters should present no issues. Chapter 9 involves a homophobic chapel scene and the emotional impact on the main character. Without reading it, do you think that will fly? Thanks!
Yes, it will fly as long as you are careful about connecting the homophobes to an existing organization/movement and you leave any judgments to the reader.

Back