Content question

LindsayMurray

Virgin
I have a question about content. I'm working on a book that has a chapter that includes a minor. It is implied that she experiences some sexual assault but it is not written out, explicit, or erotic in any way, and is more like a backstory that is hinted at. I would like to include this chapter in the story because I feel like it ads a lot of character development. Could someone clarify the specifics on what I can safely include, or perhaps take a look at the chapter in question and let me know if it's acceptable for Literotica?

Thanks!

A single sentence is about it on Lit, with any detailed sexual content (not involving the minor) many hundreds of words away.

The following is a summary of Literotica's rules on under 18;

Was there an underage (under 18 years old) sexual relationship in my story?

This is non-negotiable and has more to do with site policy than an unrealistic view that teenagers don't have sex. A character can refer sex at an early age (eg I lost my cherry at 14), but cannot describe it.

If your story comes across as pedophilia, it will probably be rejected.

Make sure that your characters are over 18 or at least a senior in high school to fix the problem. END LITEROTICA PUBLISHED RULE

This has been discussed a lot here, and another important element of not describing the sexual encounter is that there should be no sexual arousal or titillation of any kind — no interior dialogue/thoughts that imply sexual enjoyment by any charater, etc.

Based on what you've said about what you want to include, I would think what you want will be okay. Just keep it as brief, dry and to the facts as possible. The worst that can happen is the story gets rejected and sent back — at which point you can delete the "history" parts.

Generally, I'd say that you can't get away with it. That said, I have similar backstories that play important parts in two stories. Laurel initially rejected one and then accepted it without changes when I explained the setting.

I couldn't possibly say that doing it my way would get your story safely through, but PM me, and I can point you to those as examples.

I have a question about content. I'm working on a book that has a chapter that includes a minor. It is implied that she experiences some sexual assault but it is not written out, explicit, or erotic in any way, and is more like a backstory that is hinted at. I would like to include this chapter in the story because I feel like it ads a lot of character development. Could someone clarify the specifics on what I can safely include, or perhaps take a look at the chapter in question and let me know if it's acceptable for Literotica?

Thanks!

Your description sounds similar to a character from one of my own stories. This is the passage I wrote that was deemed acceptable. I assume a similar treatment would pass muster.

###

"Quinn?" I asked, "When did you lose your virginity?"

"...I was 15. At summer ballet camp."

"With Dylan?"

"No," she laughed, "Dylan was not a dancer."

"...What was it like? The first time, I mean? Did it hurt?"

She didn't answer for a long minute.

"It's not a very nice story, Leslie... I'd rather not talk about it."

"I'm... I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I... made peace with it."
###

It would be worthwhile adding a note in the “Notes to Admin” field highlighting the passage and providing some context, like what NotWise did after the rejection.

It would be worthwhile adding a note in the “Notes to Admin” field highlighting the passage and providing some context...

This. If there's anything borderline, a note up front can often prevent rejection.

The policy is firm, but not entirely inflexible. LoquiSordidaAdMe's example is more than I myself would have ventured, but it got through, so good on them for trying. I've had my characters reveal that they lose their virginity at 15 or that they were amazed at how much attention their developing body received from classmates as an adolescent, but nothing erotic and generally as part of a backstory.

Alternatively, you could PM Laurel now and explain your dilemma. I've done that a couple of times and she's generally been open to reason.

The fact of under-age sex (consensual or otherwise) can be referred to as having happened, but can't be described at all.

I've got an entire long 'first time' story where the point is that it isn't the protagonist's first time and it takes months to get over the actual first occasion. No problem.

More tricky was a story where the narrator is talking about sexual attractions as a teenager, given that Lit counts any sexual thoughts as sex (and the age of consent in Britain is 16). I ended up with a couple rather clunky sentences in the end, like this:

"Of course, he was about three, possibly four years younger than my almost twenty-three. A lot, when you considered an equal four years younger than him might be as young as fourteen -- when you're excited but terrified by the idea of sex; obsessed yet so relieved to be under age so that no-one should be confronting you with the reality..."

My original draft ended more like 'obsessed, yet glad to have a cast-iron excuse for chickening out when the reality of sex seems more scary than what you wanted', but the idea of 14yos wanting sex at all is too much for this site - the quoted section is probably only OK because the story is very much about young adults, and consent, age, and staying safe.

Back