category for "sweet first time story with vampires and some graphic screaming nightmares-inducing stuff"

joy_of_cooking

Literotica Guru
Title is how a beta reader described my story. It's a sweet first time story about an awkward, pimply 19 year old with a poorly paid job and a lot of family responsibilities and a fascination with vampires and chupacabras and stuff, none of which help him in the romance department.

The plot twist is that
his girlfriend isn't kidding about being a vampire. One day she goes off and
murders a couple of other vampires in the aforementioned graphic fashion that has him waking up screaming from his nightmares afterward. He dumps her and in a sketchy epilogue sort of way we learn that he finds professional success and his happily ever after with some other girl he meets at work while she bums along working the same dead-end jobs she had before.

Erotic Horror readers are going to be champing at the bit for about 80% of the story wondering when the scary stuff starts.

First Time readers are not going to be amused (or forgiving) when they figure out I've slipped a few paragraphs of literally medieval torture execution into their first time story.

It really is a Romance story, except
he doesn't get the right girl in the end
. Are Romance readers okay with that?

I guess it has to be Nonhuman? Although I feel like they like their vampires cool and sexy, and not kind of pathetic and sad. And all the vampire stuff is played for laughs until the climax. We're 13k words in before he realizes she isn't just humoring him.

Maybe I should spend more time thinking about how I'm going to publish my stories before I write them, instead of writing whatever nonsense I want and then looking for a place to jam them in.

Last edited:
I concur with @onehitwanda
austin-powers-dr-evil.gif

Consider the tone and message of your story. If "be careful what you wish for" is basically the message, you can foreshadow the gruesome climax with ominous clues, and it could fit into Erotic Horror nicely. If the tone is humorous but leads into medieval torture execution, it's going to be jarring for readers no matter which category you choose. I think you can make the humor dark, but you definitely want to give the reader some clues as to what they signed up for.

I'd say Nonhuman otherwise. There are many versions of vampire, and it's a pretty broad category.

we learn that he finds professional success and his happily ever after with some other girl he meets at work while she bums along working the same dead-end jobs she had before.

I see what you did there...

It really is a Romance story, except
he doesn't get the right girl in the end
. Are Romance readers okay with that?

How much attention does the second relationship get, the girl that he ends up with? If it's a relatively minor part of the story, then definitely not Romance.

If it's a large part but the opening lets readers believe Girl 1 might be who he ends up with, and especially if his first time is with Girl 1, Romance might not be such a good fit. In any genre, I usually aim to have the opening of the story communicate to the readers what kind of story they're letting themselves in for, and particularly in Romance readers probably won't want to invest in a relationship that's going to fail.

Might be possible to mitigate that by telegraphing the change in direction early, whether that's non-chronological storytelling or just something like "I really thought I was going to be with Elvira forever, but I was wrong". Hard to know whether that's enough without seeing it.

I guess it has to be Nonhuman? Although I feel like they like their vampires cool and sexy, and not kind of pathetic and sad. And all the vampire stuff is played for laughs until the climax. We're 13k words in before he realizes she isn't just humoring him.

That'd be my default guess, though some of the readers there might prefer for him to end up with the vampire.

Maybe I should spend more time thinking about how I'm going to publish my stories before I write them, instead of writing whatever nonsense I want and then looking for a place to jam them in.

Up to you, but I wouldn't. I struggle with categorisation too, but focussing too much on category can kill some great stories.

Back