Can't Contact An Editor

I have had 10 authors (11 stories) contact me within the last month (a couple through the Editor's Forum but the remainder through the VE Program). I answered all of them, have edited 8, 1 is almost done, 1 is waiting and 1 was rejected due to the specific sexual theme (obviously, the Author did not research the stories I accept), very poor writing, very poor spelling, very poor grammar, very poor punctuation, NO paragraphs and short/choppy sentences that made NO sense...it was a total mess, it reminded me of an 8 year old child's style of writing. I would have had to completely re-write it...not going to happen, writing is the Author's job!!

Literotica's VE Program, itself, definitely does work. The Program lists Editors for Authors to pick from. It is not the fault of the Program when: 1) an Editor: doesn't stay current; cannot take on any editing for various reasons; may not be on the site for various reasons; does not reply to editing requests OR 2) an Author feels bad because they don't get replies from Editors.

The VE Program, itself, works...it's the people using it (Editors and Authors, alike) who cause / have the problems.

editing

none whatsoever - some of those profile have not been updated or active in years- and some of the active ones are buried so deep you could never find them.

none whatsoever - some of those profile have not been updated or active in years- and some of the active ones are buried so deep you could never find them.

It's the Editor's responsibility to stay current, if he/she wants to. As for being buried...a very simple fix by updating the Editor's profile...the individual Editor must do this. The name automatically jumps to the first page of Editors.

The VE Program, itself, has no fault here. It's the Editors (not all) that are faulty in the Program.

Don't agree. The Web site has no purge system and the VE program is swamped with dead wood that makes it very frustrating for the authors to try to use. The authors have also complained that they are supposed to receive notification that their requests have gone through and this isn't happening. When a system is this broken, it certainly is the Web site's responsibility to clean it up. Since there's no vetting of "editors," though, it's probably a blessing that it's broken. You don't become a competent editor just by raising your hand.

Don't agree. The Web site has no purge system and the VE program is swamped with dead wood that makes it very frustrating for the authors to try to use. The authors have also complained that they are supposed to receive notification that their requests have gone through and this isn't happening. When a system is this broken, it certainly is the Web site's responsibility to clean it up. Since there's no vetting of "editors," though, it's probably a blessing that it's broken. You don't become a competent editor just by raising your hand.

:) That's the beauty of it all...we don't have to agree. Everyone can have their own opinions about anything and everything. :)

same kind of luck

I've had nothing but negative luck. Apparently what I write about is taboo. Tittyfucking

I've had nothing but negative luck. Apparently what I write about is taboo. Tittyfucking

I would guess it's not the titty fucking. It's more that there aren't enough VE's. Titty fucking is not taboo, unless you added alien tentacles to it. :)

I've been part of the VE list for over a year and a half. I seldom list myself on the board as I usually have stories waiting to be edited. I have several authors I work with, some of them are quite prolific. I do not edit gay, scat or stories where drug dealing is a major part of the plot. I have told authors their story has so many problems that they need to fix before I edit it. Usually these errors are where the author was too lazy to follow the common rules of grammar.

From the a VE point of view, I find when I send a pm offering my services I may or may not receive a response.

From the a VE point of view, I find when I send a pm offering my services I may or may not receive a response.

There's that. About half of the edits I've done on this Web site have gone without acknowledgment of receipt of the edit as well.

I've always found that when I contact people from the VE list, if I contact 10 people then 1 maybe 2 of them will actually get back to me.

There's that. About half of the edits I've done on this Web site have gone without acknowledgment of receipt of the edit as well.

Whenever I work with an editor, I have always made sure that their effort in editing and making my story better is acknowledged. After all a VE put in the work to make my story look better so I always find that it the right thing to do.

Whenever I work with an editor, I have always made sure that their effort in editing and making my story better is acknowledged. After all a VE put in the work to make my story look better so I always find that it the right thing to do.

I don't want to be acknowledged publicly for editing (and don't edit for anyone again who does so without consulting me). The author has the file last in this Web site's system and the editor has no control over what actually is posted. What I was referring to is acknowledging that the edit was received. Much of the time, I send it and never am told that it was even received. Sometimes I don't see it posted to Lit., even, which indicates it was published somewhere else, perhaps for profit, and the author dishonestly got a free edit for a marketed story.

It would help if new authors would dump their story from word to a pdf file and have Acobat read the story out loud for them. Nice way to find and make corrections before looking for an editor.

There's no reason they can't just leave it in Word and read it out loud themselves. A machine can't give them the infliction they intended when they wrote it. Fancy technology isn't the answer to every need--which authors prove daily by trying to send fancy formatted files to publishers that someone has to strip down to basic text because the author isn't the book designer.

There's no reason they can't just leave it in Word and read it out loud themselves. A machine can't give them the infliction they intended when they wrote it. Fancy technology isn't the answer to every need--which authors prove daily by trying to send fancy formatted files to publishers that someone has to strip down to basic text because the author isn't the book designer.

The idea is not in achieving the proper inflection, the idea is to find problems with the sentence structure and apparent logic mistakes - although it is nice to set the voice male or female. Just another way to check before calling it a day.

Back