Butty's challenge

i think it's great that you've given us a new form (not that i'm au fait with loads of others :eek:) and you need to write more to firmly establish it! :D

why does saying which piece touches you most inspire the wibblies, annie? it's not like people can say you're wrong! if you like something then you like something. are you afraid of maybe hurting others' feelings :confused:

yep!!

that's not good.
to feel you are unable to express your personal opinion in case it hurts someone's sensibilities is restricting your emancipation as a human being. :(

More than likely but you don't know my history of one the crappiest childhoods around and with those sort of beginnings as much as I would love to put it behind me it will always haunt and colour the person I am now, not that I think any of you are going to beat the shit out of me for disagreeing with you I also know only too well what barbed words can do. :rose:

More than likely but you don't know my history of one the crappiest childhoods around and with those sort of beginnings as much as I would love to put it behind me it will always haunt and colour the person I am now, not that I think any of you are going to beat the shit out of me for disagreeing with you I also know only too well what barbed words can do. :rose:

change the things we can change
accept what we can't
have the wisdom to know the difference ... {hugs}

for what? :confused:

i put my challenge out on the monday - and closed it friday 8pm our time. was that the time you meant?

yes thanks the time is what I wanted
ok I've typed it out watch this space! or the other space or whatever

Last edited:
change the things we can change
accept what we can't
have the wisdom to know the difference ... {hugs}

Those words, in the form of the Serenity Prayer, have been quite valuable for me.
Doesn't take care of everything, but helps one keep focused on what we can do today.

Fine words to live by but I can't let it go and believe you me I've tried in many many ways, oh sure I bury it deep but it still creeps out. Maybe that's why I'm not afraid to die, I've already had my hell

and here we get swept in a totally different direction, once again! how wonderful an experience to be along for the ride here, poets :D

strong, strong voice grounding this piece, that wavers (for me) in only one place and that's where the priest's words are being conveyed. it still threw me out a little, making me have to readjust mentally to the accent as i read on.

"Staying warm Chrissakes till March
Would make me think of girls again,
Though I’d never tell the priest
Whose church on Sunday warms my feet
Sweet Jaysus five degrees at least
Worthy of his five Hail Marys
He says to pray ten times at night
To chasten all those teenage dreams."

Not sure if the following addresses your concern, but for me it's better anyway:

Staying warm Chrissakes till March
With dreams of Coney Island Beach.

Thanks for doing this thread; alot of work on your part. I enjoyed thinking about your perspective on all the poems submitted and once again felt I learned something.

BTW, the oblique references in the title "Triangle Shirtwaist Factory" and the poem's last stanza have to do with the fire at the factory of the same name in New York City where in March, 1911 146 workers, mostly young Jewish, Italian, and Irish immigrant girls perished. It outraged the citizens and was the catalyst for building safety reform for business and slums in which many immmigrants then lived.

and here we get swept in a totally different direction, once again! how wonderful an experience to be along for the ride here, poets :D

strong, strong voice grounding this piece, that wavers (for me) in only one place and that's where the priest's words are being conveyed. it still threw me out a little, making me have to readjust mentally to the accent as i read on.

"Staying warm Chrissakes till March
To chasten all those teenage dreams."

Not sure if the following addresses your concern, but for me it's better anyway:

Staying warm Chrissakes till March
With dreams of Coney Island Beach.

Thanks for doing this thread; alot of work on your part. I enjoyed thinking about your perspective on all the poems submitted and once again felt I learned something.

BTW, the oblique references in the title "Triangle Shirtwaist Factory" and the poem's last stanza have to do with the fire at the factory of the same name in New York City where in March, 1911 146 workers, mostly young Jewish, Italian, and Irish immigrant girls perished. It outraged the citizens and was the catalyst for building safety reform for business and slums in which many immigrants then lived.

Ah, yes, that does sit more comfortably for me too :) The transition of voices from the narrator's own to repeating the priest's words seemed too big a jump. I'm not even truly sure why this should be - it ought to work. Maybe because it makes me hear a more cultured, possibly English accent whereas I expected the priest to be Irish too! Your rewrite (and bringing 'Chrissakes' together into the single word more familiar form) smooths out any issues of accent and so no interruptions mar the scenario for me. :D

I'm sure i saw a documentary about this once; when i read the title there was an immediate connection somewhere in the depths of what i call my mind. It's nice to read a piece grounded in real history, however tragic its events.

Thanks cb for taking your time to review every poem in the challenge. My kids are on spring break and my parents are here, but I will try to go in and leave some reflections....

first off, thanks for letting me know about the lack of form and stuff, hehe, and since it is a no stockings and corset affair i hope you don't mind me sitting here in bathrobe and fluffy slippers commenting on it :p

this write slips a sucker punch with these lines:

such pain right there! it's hard, i think, to write it in a way that really hits the reader, to make them feel the vicarious pain, but you have accomplished that with such economy of language. a pain fit to take the breath away, tying in perfectly with the phrase "self suffocation". in fact, that part leaves me so breathless, what comes either side of it seems less important and fades for me.

Ay-men!

This is oh so good. Nothing like it, that that says everything to me.

If I had to pick a favorite, this would be it.

Maryann feckin’ oirishes pushcarts
To dicker for some day old kale
And pullet eggs, two pennies saved
For hot cross buns on Sunday.

No Bowsie I, I look for work
And eat my oats by five a.m.
Like all the milk cart horses do
Whose shite I’ve shoveled once or twice
Not far from Greene and Washington
Where Da he works a factory
And got a job for Maryann.

Staying warm Chris sakes till March
To chasten all those teenage dreams.

But dreams one time were little more
Than blue moods drafted before birth
Of footprints on an earthen floor
In a County Galway house
Himself and Mother talk about.

They say this doesn’t stink as much
With smells like Mother’s soda bread
Whose songs I hear at half past ten
Unless she says the rosary.

She’s goin’ for the ride tonight,
For Da brought home some pay today,
And Maryann will work next week
At the shirtwaist factory.

I could really see this one, Tess.

my only twinge was the rapid fire metaphor, all good, but in a row, hard to handle

swam tides
manacles slipped
flowering

but the poem makes me want to say YES! And that is a good feeling.

We were the unwanted ones
dispatched to the lower forms.
Given the greenest teachers,
easily rebellious, resistant to punishment,
abandoned as hopeless, our future
on blueprints drafted before birth.
We swam against insurmountable tides
and only in adulthood as the manacles of
modern schooling slipped off did we flower.
Artists, architects, writers,
designers and entrepreneurs,
on the blueprints drafted before our birth
there are no directions, no hints
of things to come.

Thanks cb for taking your time to review every poem in the challenge. My kids are on spring break and my parents are here, but I will try to go in and leave some reflections....

I'd like to second the first part of anna's message, butty, and also thank anna for critique-ing while surrounded by assorted spring breakers.

I'd like to second the first part of anna's message, butty, and also thank anna for critique-ing while surrounded by assorted spring breakers.

You are quite welcome. I wish I could have commented more, but I suppose we all do what we can when we can.

Back