Butty's challenge

OK and that's it! No more poems to be posted and I now throw this thread wide open to comments on all the fab pieces you guys have graced this challenge with.

Wonderful stuff :D I'd like to thank everyone for their entries, and hope you are as pleased having written them as I am having read them :kiss:

Thank you PG - you quoted before my editing :) -

Interesting exercise - which is better? I thought the version you've quoted was a bit misleading in the 3rd and 4th lines.

I expect Annie and Butty will relate too - unless you're very lucky British school stifle any individualism or creativity.

God I hated school for all I passed the 11 plus and was supposed to be one of the gifted ones

I like Champagne's, Tzara's third, and EroticO's poems, but probably EO's the most because it seems to have the most personal detail.

This is smart. Not sure, however, about L8. Still.........

2/46

On blueprints drafted before birth
Are bodies modeled. God erects
A framework built of bones and breath,
Then flips a coin to fix the sex.

If that sounds arbitrary, well,
It is. In almost all respects
We differ mainly in our Will—
Not dangly bits found below decks.

But vive la différence, dear God,
For blessing concave with convex
As complement. Your greatest Good
Glues intimate to intersects.

Can I like them all? anyway will say more later I've bust me glasses and typing in sunglasses ruins the concentration

Hey, can anyone tell me what this means: "Full/Queen Duvet Cover Mini Set" I ordered it from my cousin's wedding registry and I want to pretend like I know what it is when my wife asks about it.

Also, when you gonna tell us who wins this contest, ChipButty?

Hey, can anyone tell me what this means: "Full/Queen Duvet Cover Mini Set" I ordered it from my cousin's wedding registry and I want to pretend like I know what it is when my wife asks about it.

Also, when you gonna tell us who wins this contest, ChipButty?

i have no idea! what's a -over mini set? sorry, right now my keyboard's not letting me type the letter that is after b. it goes right to search (wtf? it just typed but jumped text to top of page) this is not a new problem.

i will announ-e my favourite tomorrow night, after giving some opinions about the entries :)

my washing ma hine broke overnight, both my keyboards are freaking after no2 son's been on the puter, and i got home from work, kna kered only to be greeted at the door with "there's been a bit of an a ident with the toilet. it's blo ked and overflows every time i flush it"

thanks, son. :rolleyes:
water through the landing eiling, two sopping wet big towels that were lean in there before leaving for work this morning, and having to remove about half a loo roll of paper before it would empty as per. and the keyboard's still messing me up :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's it. Can someone describe to me what that is exactly? What's a duvet? What's a duvet cover? And what do you think the 'mini' means?

a duvet is the down/fibre filled pad (the size of your bed with overhang) (like the inside filling of a sleeping bag) and used instead of blankets widely throughout europe; the duvet 'k'over is its linen (like two sheets sewn together that you insert the duvet into).

lord only knows what the mini part refers to. :confused:

a duvet is the down/fibre filled pad (the size of your bed with overhang) (like the inside filling of a sleeping bag) and used instead of blankets widely throughout europe; the duvet 'k'over is its linen (like two sheets sewn together that you insert the duvet into).

Oh boy.

Mini means that it doesn't include the sheets.

I think Ange is a nerd for doing a form poem. Just sayin'...:D

None I don't like (can't say the same for all the new poems, though).
My favorites are Tzara's 1st and Tristesse2's 1st.

Trying to think if I ever wrote a hair poem. I'm blanking there.
Wind's Fingers
<snip>

Motionless waiting, without a lover
to comb my hair with supple fingers,
smoothing out the night's snags.
</snip>

Does this verse of a longer poem qualify me as nerdy enough? It's about hair, kinda.

Wind's Fingers
<snip>

Motionless waiting, without a lover
to comb my hair with supple fingers,
smoothing out the night's snags.
</snip>

Does this verse of a longer poem qualify me as nerdy enough? It's about hair, kinda.

Yes, you are a nerdy girl and drive it drives me crazy how easy forms come for you. And your snippet reminds me of memories that should help me write a blurt with hair as a major reference. If I get there.

:heart:

2/46

On blueprints drafted before birth
Are bodies modeled. God erects
A framework built of bones and breath,
Then flips a coin to fix the sex.

If that sounds arbitrary, well,
It is. In almost all respects
We differ mainly in our Will—
Not dangly bits found below decks.

But vive la différence, dear God,
For blessing concave with convex
As complement. Your greatest Good
Glues intimate to intersects.

this was an absolute joy to read. Its humour, construction, voice and message are all delivered neatly wrapped and with a bow tied on top. My only quibble is with the 'dangly bits' line, which might be more about the difference in english/american pronunciation throwing me off stress-wise - something generally not a problem as i adapt to read a phrase but it still trips me each time i read that line. my brain keeps swapping that line to read 'not bits that dangle below decks'.

i guess that might seem picky, but the rest is so 'perfect' ... having said that, a part of me likes the trip as it also underlines those small imperfections in our genetic make-up!

Last edited:
one question .. your title? is it a genetic ref? i don't understand :eek:

Last edited:
Her body is a place of mirth,
Hands and feet sprung from the Earth.

While I may be a piddling serf,
She was made for higher berth.

"Why dost thou pine and suffer dearth?"
She's gone with Paris to the church!

Some folks learn to measure worth,
On blueprints drafted before their birth.

love your nod to shakespeare with that abbreviated L5, and L6 makes my brain play around with all manner of thoughts - including Paris Hilton and Charlotte Church!

I like your containment within this write, and your final couplet speaks a universal truth :)

Last edited:
Chipbutty, you could highlight and copy a 'c' in your browser's 'edit' menu and then hit ctrl-V whenever you needed a 'c'. Or maybe your plot is more nefarious and you're trying to re-Germanize the English language and create a race of poetic Übermenschen to worship you as Priestess of Poetik.

Best Picture

James Cameron drew up the Na'vi
From blueprints drafted before birth
With expertise, computer savvy,
A ball of loot big as the Earth.
In 3D, Jimmy's film's amazing,
At his Pandora we're star-gazing
Enthralled by luscious technical
Screen wizardry that's epochal.
But here's the twist—the Oscars mostly
Bypassed Jim's expensive flick
In favor of one by some chick
Who's his ex-wife—one much less costly.
And so, this headline (though it's mean):
King of the World trumped by Ex-Queen.

I didn't see anything that said you can't enter more than once, so I'm trying to stuff the ballot box in case it's judged like a Lottery drawing. :)

This is an Onegin Stanza, by the way. I think. I didn't double-check the rhyme scheme.

thanks for the introduction to this form's name, Tzara :D

irreverent, relevant, and has that glitzy plastic feel to it that's Hollywood through and through.

Last edited:
Back