Art at Burning Man

Comshaw

VAGITARIAN
While there was a political statement behind it (which I will ignore here) the art and execution of it were fabulous. A wooden box set ablaze and as it burned a steel Phoenix emerged. Damn but I would love to go to just one Burning Man before I keel over.

230831090854-02-burning-man-phoenix-ukraine[1].jpg

230831090859-03-burning-man-phoenix-ukraine[1].jpg

Comshaw

Isn't it though? For some reason, this one just grabs hold of me and won't let go. I've been thinking about it since I saw it a couple of days ago.

We have friends who attended Burning Man for 5-6 years. They showed us pictures of the day-to-day activites there. So much art from large, like this one to small. Our friends would shop at all the thrift stores and buy clothes (the more outrageous the better) then take them to BM, set up a shop and give them away. One guy built a truck with old refrigerator doors on it. You could write a note (anything you wanted to) and stick it to a door with a magnet. At the end of that BM the doors were covered in notes people left.

Comshaw

It sounds very cool, though being in August, it must be rather hot. If I remember correctly, Burning Man's a giving thing. Jo and I should look at this for a trip sometime. :kiss: It says everyone is welcome.

I hate to be the downer, but in the period of its nine days, the Burning Man fest emits 100,000 tons of C02 and some moaning mini environmentalist think it's time to move on.

It always was a celebration of destruction in a kinda apocalyptic way and I'd side with the greenies on this. Maybe have a Greening Man and plant stuff instead.

I hate to be the downer, but in the period of its nine days, the Burning Man fest emits 100,000 tons of C02 and some moaning mini environmentalist think it's time to move on.

It always was a celebration of destruction in a kinda apocalyptic way and I'd side with the greenies on this. Maybe have a Greening Man and plant stuff instead.
But I read 90% of that is the private jets bringing rich people there. Maybe it should shut down, and then some kids should do it on their own again, like in 1998, maybe somewhere else. In fact announce the location on Mastodon the night before, like an unauthorized warehouse rave.

But I read 90% of that is the private jets bringing rich people there. Maybe it should shut down, and then some kids should do it on their own again, like in 1998, maybe somewhere else. In fact announce the location on Mastodon the night before, like an unauthorized warehouse rave.
Jets but mostly cars to blame I read. It does sound like it's outgrown its hippy roots

ETA
This year has been a washout with desert sand turning to mud

Last edited:
I agree BM has gotten overly large and has outgrown its roots. Being a motorcyclist to the bone, it's right up there with two other events I watch which have vastly outgrown their beginnings, Sturgis and Dayton Bikeweek. I won't even get into those because it would turn into a rant.

There are good things (other than the art) about BM, like the policy of "leave no trace". They try and mostly succeed in erasing any indication that many people were on that spot. Quite the accomplishment for having so many in such a space.

So it emits 100,000 tons of CO2 in the nine days of its existence? With 67,000 participants (so far. The cap is 82,000 for this year) that makes Blackrock City the 11th. largest city in Nevada. And just how much CO2 does a city of 67,000- 82,0000 produce in 9 days? I'll bet it's as much or more.

But that's a separate argument for another day. I can consider whether or not it should be held, whether or not it's doing more damage than it should, AND appreciate the art and revelry. For me, the negatives of its existence do not take away from the wonder and beauty of the art. I feel sorry for those who can't.

Comshaw

The same amount of CO2 would be expelled if they were there or at their homes. So, that is sort of neutral, isn't it?
I agree BM has gotten overly large and has outgrown its roots. Being a motorcyclist to the bone, it's right up there with two other events I watch which have vastly outgrown their beginnings, Sturgis and Dayton Bikeweek. I won't even get into those because it would turn into a rant.

There are good things (other than the art) about BM, like the policy of "leave no trace". They try and mostly succeed in erasing any indication that many people were on that spot. Quite the accomplishment for having so many in such a space.

So it emits 100,000 tons of CO2 in the nine days of its existence? With 67,000 participants (so far. The cap is 82,000 for this year) that makes Blackrock City the 11th. largest city in Nevada. And just how much CO2 does a city of 67,000- 82,0000 produce in 9 days? I'll bet it's as much or more.

But that's a separate argument for another day. I can consider whether or not it should be held, whether or not it's doing more damage than it should, AND appreciate the art and revelry. For me, the negatives of its existence do not take away from the wonder and beauty of the art. I feel sorry for those who can't.

Comshaw

Back