Arizona says 1864 law banning nearly all abortions is enforceable

Shouts of ‘Shame! Shame!’ erupt in Arizona House as fight over abortion ban engulfs lawmakers​

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-abortion-ruling-1864-law-b43757f9a53848138c4d13e4315527ce

I wonder how many of these men who want to ban abortion have ever been pregnant. It is guaranteed they have zero interest in the well-being of women and society.
from this link:

Three Republican legislators openly oppose the ban, including state Rep. Matt Gress, of Phoenix, who made a motion Wednesday to repeal the law. In a statement, he said the near-total ban “is not reflective of the values of the vast majority of our electorate, regardless of political affiliation. ... This issue transcends all.”

According to AP VoteCast, 6 out of 10 Arizona voters in the 2022 midterm elections said they would favor guaranteeing legal abortion nationwide
. The state recorded 11,530 abortions in 2022, the last data available, according to Arizona's Department of Health Services.
at least some are smart enough to understand what a losing move this is

About 52% of the population which votes have XX chromosomes. Ignore them at your peril gentlemen!
Lest we forget, 53% of white women voted for Trump in 2016.
I understand the inclination to view the abortion issue as a battle of the sexes, but it just is not that simple.

I understand the inclination to view the abortion issue as a battle of the sexes, but it just is not that simple.
Bodily autonomy, or more precisely "lack of bodily autonomy" appears to be an issue that transcends loyalty to a political party.

The district replacement election earlier this year in Alabama (of all places!!!) showed us how much so....a +30 Trump red victory in 2020 became a +3 Democratic pickup.

College-educated women have always been "slightly anti-Trump" but the exit polls showed massive Republican defections from women in virtually all income- and education- classes.

Fun times ahead!

https://time.com/5422644/trump-white-women-2016/

Donald Trump Didn’t Really Win 52% of White Women in 2016​

The idea that 52% of white women voted for Trump—compared to 43% who supported Hillary Clinton—comes from the 2016 exit polls, an in-person survey in which Election Day questioners ask people at polling places across the country how they voted, then adjust the results to match the actual tally reported by election authorities. But exit polls, which are conducted by Edison Research for a consortium of news organizations, suffer from systemic biases and are notoriously flawed.

Exit polls tend to overrepresent the kinds of people who are likely to stop and agree to talk to a pollster, and underrepresent the ones who don’t. They’re also conducted on the fly, attempting to snapshot the electorate in real time, so they’re naturally not going to be as accurate as an analysis that combs through voter files and other data that show who actually turned out. (Ironically, the thing the exits are worst for—determining the demographic breakdown of the electorate—is the thing they’re most often cited to illustrate.) Later, more careful analyses have corrected many of the exits’ snap judgments, busting many myths about the election along the way.

The 52% statistic appears to be one of those myths. According to a later analysis that experts consider more reliable, a study published in August by the Pew Research Center, the percentage of white women who voted for Trump was actually 47%, compared to 45% for Clinton. That’s still a plurality, and still makes white women more Trump-positive than the overall electorate, which supported Clinton by a 48%-46% margin. White women, who will again be a critical demographic group in the 2018 midterms, were considerably more pro-Trump than nonwhite women, who went for Clinton by a huge margin, 82%-16%. But it’s essentially a tie, which makes for a very different story than a 9-point margin for Trump.

Bodily autonomy, or more precisely "lack of bodily autonomy" appears to be an issue that transcends loyalty to a political party.

The district replacement election earlier this year in Alabama (of all places!!!) showed us how much so....a +30 Trump red victory in 2020 became a +3 Democratic pickup.

College-educated women have always been "slightly anti-Trump" but the exit polls showed massive Republican defections from women in virtually all income- and education- classes.

Fun times ahead!

The Demographics They Are A-Changin’…

👍

I sure hope so.
Two percent fewer Boomers each election cycle now through 2044. They used to have the numbers dating back to 2004 (58%). 2020 was the tipping point: only 50% Boomers. They are the backbone of MAGA and the White Patriarchy. 2024 is essentially their "last gasp" as the "majority minority", they need to rely on coalition-building (HA!) or voter suppression (much more likely) from here on out.

AZ 'Pubs Vote Dem to repeal

Some Republicans join Arizona Democrats in vote to repeal controversial 1864 abortion ban

abcnews.go.com.ico
ABC|57 minutes ago
Three Republicans on Wednesday joined Democrats in the Arizona House to vote to repeal the state's controversial 1864 ban on nearly all abortions, which was revived by a court ruling earlier this month. The final vote was 32-28. The legislation next heads to the state Senate where it could be taken up next week.

AZ 'Pubs Vote Dem to repeal

Some Republicans join Arizona Democrats in vote to repeal controversial 1864 abortion ban

abcnews.go.com.ico
ABC|57 minutes ago
Three Republicans on Wednesday joined Democrats in the Arizona House to vote to repeal the state's controversial 1864 ban on nearly all abortions, which was revived by a court ruling earlier this month. The final vote was 32-28. The legislation next heads to the state Senate where it could be taken up next week.

Repealing the 1864 law will make another Arizona law (Complete ban after 15 weeks gestation) the ruling law. The 15 week ban was previously signed into law but was declared superfluous because of the harsher 1864 ban.

Remember, "Cruelty Is The Point".

The issue of the potential for eliminating women's reproductive rights was mostly a very surreal topic until the Dobbs decision and the lightning-fast actions of hyper-conservatives in several states. This election will prove the backlash to such actions. Women nationwide realize that the threat is now real, imminent, and universal. Reproductive rights have now become the number one voting issue come this November, especially now that the economy is booming and inflation is calming, even overtaking the illegal immigration boogeyman the Republicans have been fear-mongering about for decades. I'm not projecting a "Bluenami", but I am predicting that Biden wins, and the Democrats increase their majority in the Senate and retake the House, primarily as a result of the abortion issue.

Repealing the 1864 law will make another Arizona law (Complete ban after 15 weeks gestation) the ruling law. The 15 week ban was previously signed into law but was declared superfluous because of the harsher 1864 ban.

Remember, "Cruelty Is The Point".
it still has to make it through the senate, though there's hope it may pass.

having said that, there's something about a 90(?) day pause before a bill can be made law after the end of a sitting, which could result in it being passed but not enforceable for a period of time? i'm a little fuzzy on the details and it may be that the ruling can come into practice before it's actually made into law.

The issue of the potential for eliminating women's reproductive rights was mostly a very surreal topic until the Dobbs decision and the lightning-fast actions of hyper-conservatives in several states. This election will prove the backlash to such actions. Women nationwide realize that the threat is now real, imminent, and universal. Reproductive rights have now become the number one voting issue come this November, especially now that the economy is booming and inflation is calming, even overtaking the illegal immigration boogeyman the Republicans have been fear-mongering about for decades. I'm not projecting a "Bluenami", but I am predicting that Biden wins, and the Democrats increase their majority in the Senate and retake the House, primarily as a result of the abortion issue.
I hope you're right. The catch is, some of us have been telling anyone who will listen for decades now that they were after Roe. Far too many people couldn't be bothered to do anything about it then. Here's hoping they will now.

I hope you're right. The catch is, some of us have been telling anyone who will listen for decades now that they were after Roe. Far too many people couldn't be bothered to do anything about it then. Here's hoping they will now.
A lot of people ignore their doctors' advice until they have a heart attack or a stroke. Hopefully, this is the heart attack America needs for everyone to fight for their rights. At the ballot box, of course. We're not savages.

Despite the repeal, state Attorney General Kris Mayes said the near-total abortion ban will still go into effect as early as June 27. The ban's repeal, once signed by Hobbs, will not go into effect until 90 days after the current legislative session ends.

Arizona's legislative session doesn't have a specific end date. In recent years, the session has ended in late June. However, in 2023, the session didn't end until August. The 1864 ban could stay in effect through the summer and fall.

https://www.newsweek.com/arizona-republicans-repeal-abortion-ban-still-going-effect-though-1896290

Arizona enforcing a law on state's rights from a time when Arizona wasn't even a state.

Also, no education or voting for black Americans or votes for women, native Americans.
I don't necessarily disagree, but if that's your metric for what is or is not valid legal precedent then we might as well shitcan the very concept of American legal precedent, up to and including the Constitution itself.

Granted, I wouldn't disagree with doing that either.

Last edited:
Arizona enforcing a law on state's rights from a time when Arizona wasn't even a state.

Also, no education or voting for black Americans or votes for women, native Americans.
The 1864 law was purportedly codified into Arizona State law in 1913, prior to women having the right to vote.
In any event, it will be gone soon.

Interestingly, two US Congressmen from Arizona who cheered the loudest when Roe got overturned (Schweikert and Ciscomani) are now facing the voters for the first time (Both represent white enclaves in Phoenix).

With abortion amendment on the ballot. These two rubes are Dead Men Walking.

Back