Anybody know anything useful about Tinnitus?

Go see your doctor. It can be a symptom of many things. Everything from hearing loss on up. Only a medical professional can request all the test you would need to know exactly what you have going on. If yo are trying to save money go to an Urgent Care. Most insurances cover those and they are FAR cheaper than the ER.

Already been to 3 ENTs over a year ago and I've been on TinnitusTalk forums for over a year now. No luck, you just have to get used to it.

I have been dealing with it for years. I have not tried to use any drugs just because I generally try to avoid them anyway, but, I believe mine gets worse as my blood pressure rises. So I have tried to avoid foods and activities that would cause a rise in blood pressure such as staying away from, salt excess sugar and so forth. Large amounts of caffeine also make it worse.

Good luck, I think that being in a slightly noisy environment also helps just as a distraction. Really quiet places make me more aware and then I sometimes dwell on it.
I have noticed the same thing. Tinnitus gets louder as blood pressure goes up. I'm on blood pressure medication and haven't had any psychoactive side effects.

I get it from some medications. I have it now, maybe it's the Celebrex.

I am late taking celebrex, it's still there, but definitely quieter.

I have noticed the same thing. Tinnitus gets louder as blood pressure goes up. I'm on blood pressure medication and haven't had any psychoactive side effects.

One other thing is that I suffer from allergies and when my nasal passages are closed or constricted of course my hearing suffers. When that happens my perception of the "ringing in my ears" goes through the roof. A clear nose and all related passages really helps. Today it sounds like Petticoat Junction in my head, train is just arriving. All day.

I developed tinnitus in March of this year, I distinctly remember the moment it started. I have no hearing loss or any issues that would explain it, as my audiologist said, sometimes people just develop it for no reason. After my appointment with the ear wax doctor i felt great for at least a week, but now it slowly starts coming back.

Last edited:
I have it (pro musician in 80's...ear protec-what?!)...I've heard that GABA may help. Like 2x the daily dose. Anyone validate/invalidate that?

I had it for a few years. It was a constant buzzing. I learned to ignore it and it went away. My son now deals with it as a result of his tour in Afghanistan. It doesn't seem to have easy solutions. The last time I read up about it some weird sounding research was being tried. Something about doing something with the tongue. 😳

Any real solutions that don't involve Psych drugs?
I do know a little. I’ve had it many years. Never had any kind of solution but a few weeks ago my physician suggested this. I’m in the process of ordering it.

“A new treatment approach for tinnitus is called bimodal neuromodulation, which targets the brain by stimulating two sensory systems. In a device called Lenire, patients wear headphones and a mouth device every day for an hour for at least six weeks.”

Excerpted from this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/well...treatment-lenire-bimodal-neuromodulation-duo/

I developed tinnitus that was diagnosed in 1992. My audiologist said it was caused by excessive use of aspirin. Sometime around 1986-87 a hypothyroid condition kicked in. One symptom was constant headaches. I ended up taking 6-10 aspirin a day. My audiologist said this caused nerve damage. My tinnitus is worse in my right ear and it comes and goes. Nothing has helped.

I know that the more time I spend on support group threads, the worse it gets. As Lawerence of Arabia said in the beginning of the film "The trick is not to mind that it hurts." I think the trick to dealing with tinnitus is not thinking about it, Tinnitus is your brain making stuff up when there is a lack of input from damaged nerves. So get yourself a high-end pair of hearing aids so that you can make the best of what you can hear, and wait around until they get the hang of surgically implanting cilia substitutes in your inner ear.

Yes, I have tried herbal supplements that have helped. Don't remember which ones. They tend to come and go out of business.

Back