advice, please, on categories, especially novels

GrushaVashnadze

Really Experienced
I would appreciate some advice from those who have been here longer than me, in regard to categories - particularly "novels".

I have spent the past several months writing an "ambiquel" (= sequel + prequel combined) to my novel Alison Goes to London. The original novel is structured according to plot content and character development, rather than according to the sexual content / "tags". When I first published it here, I managed to shoehorn most of the chapters into one category or another - though I have noticed that the lowest-voted chapters tend to be those where my adherence to the category norms is more liberally interpreted: Lit readers seem not to like the sexual palette of a chapter to extend too broadly beyond the category label.

On the presumption that sequels (let alone "ambiquels"!) tend to appeal more to those who have read and enjoyed the original than to newbies, I have decided, for this work (working title: Young Cunts), to forget about trying to pound a square peg into a slippery wet hole (as it were), and let the structure be driven by the plot, the character development, and the world building, both prospective and retrospective. The result is a work in five "acts", each of which contains several scenes, and includes a variety of sexual emphases. For example, Act One starts with a wild filthy squirting interracial assfuck, later features a loving wife-on-husband condom-clad blowjob, and ends with a lesbian cunt-eating humiliation fuck; Act Two includes a futa-on-futa throatfuck and upside-down anal scene, a food fuck with sausages and mash (and gravy, naturellement), and a background in-the-dark drunken open air orgy; etc. Seriously, the work is very carefully structured - but I wanted the sex to be part of the style, the setting and the background rather than the main driver of plot.

So, I am considering putting all five acts of this sequel into the "novels" category, eventhough the original was not. I am aware that this category tends to get fewer reads than some others, but that doesn't bother me massively as, being a sequel, I think this work is going to appeal most to Alison fans anyway. But I wonder if I am right in thinking that the general expectation in the "novels" category is of a "slow burn", slow build-up sort of story? Neither the original novel nor its sequel are like that at all: it is straight in with the fucking, and said fucking creates the world in which the characters learn and grow. So, I suppose my question is: is "novels" really the right place for this sequel?

If you think I'm fussing about nothing, don't go to the trouble of replying. But if you have any potentially useful thoughts, let me know! Many thanks in advance...

Grusha

Part of the appeal of the N&N category is that anything goes. There are plenty of front to back sexcapades, as well as more plot centered stories.

Bear in mind, you will be able to sort them all into a series on your author's page.

If you have a lot of kinks that don't necessarily play well together within the various categories, a long slow-burn story, and don't mind that the readership in the category is light, then I think N&N is more or less tailor-made for what you're writing.

You've already tried category hopping and found that approach to be lacking. ( Which I wholeheartedly agree with ) The choice of N&N is pretty clear IMO.

Back