2022 Literotica Award Nominations: Most Influential Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it isn't. It's about an author being an influence to both writers and readers. From Laurel's post:
Being a great, or prolific, author is not being influential. Their stories being "hot" is not influential. I've read through these posts, except for two, its "They've been here a long time, they have a lot of stories, they're stories are very good."

The title should be most popular author because that's what this ends up being based on, and I think most people would be fine with that. Influential authors help other authors edit and get better, they come to the forums and give advice to readers and other authors, they start author sponsored challenges, they do more than just say "here's my next story, please vote on it." Want to see the influential authors here? Go to the authors forum where the same people come every day to discuss writing and answer questions and help the new authors, not just collect stats.

I see lovecraft’s point.

No doubt I get recognized due to sheer volume. I know there are better writers on here who are indeed much more influential than me.

I get nominated every year. I’ve won, I’ve lost, and in retrospect my wins are indeed likely based on popularity and longevity.

On the bright side, it made me ponder my role on tilt and like a look at the author’s hangout.

Have a good one.

Being a great, or prolific, author is not being influential. Their stories being "hot" is not influential. I've read through these posts, except for two, its "They've been here a long time, they have a lot of stories, they're stories are very good."

The title should be most popular author because that's what this ends up being based on, and I think most people would be fine with that. Influential authors help other authors edit and get better, they come to the forums and give advice to readers and other authors, they start author sponsored challenges, they do more than just say "here's my next story, please vote on it." Want to see the influential authors here? Go to the authors forum where the same people come every day to discuss writing and answer questions and help the new authors, not just collect stats.

I understand what you are saying in your first paragraph, and I agree. What I don't agree with is your assertion that an influential author only influences other authors. If you think an author can't influence readers then I think you are selling yourself and other authors short.

BrokenSpokes has a story underway titled "The Journey". It is a story that deals with race and racism, specifically in America. Reading that story made me take a look at my own unconscious biases and misconceptions in a way that people screaming at me on TV and in social media didn't. I nominated her for this award last year specifically on those grounds. So are you saying that she can't influence me because I'm not a writer here?

After some consideration, and a few emails from other people, the term influential is indeed intriguing. I have had hundreds of people tell me they started writing because of me. I've had many dozen people tell me they made a fantasy come true because of me.

As such, me and pretty much every writer who is willing to publish their stories on this site can be influential.

After some consideration, and a few emails from other people, the term influential is indeed intriguing. I have had hundreds of people tell me they started writing because of me. I've had many dozen people tell me they made a fantasy come true because of me.

As such, me and pretty much every writer who is willing to publish their stories on this site can be influential
I can see both sides of it. You've made a very good point. But if, for example, someone tells me that Cezanne was an influential artist, my mind does not go to the effect his work has had on millions of viewers through the years, I think of how his innovations and style is reflected in the work of Matisse, Picasso and other artists who followed him.

But the readers are invited to weigh in, and that widens the scope. I'm fine with that, but I would be more interested in awards decided by the authors, because the monthly awards are already determined by the readers. I doubt many readers would mind. last year, I won Best Humor/Satire with 17 votes.

but I would be more interested in awards decided by the authors,
The problem with this is that the cliques within the group of us who post stories, would completely rig the whole thing.
Authors like myself and others who don't belong to these groups, would be left pissing into the wind.
It sounds great in theory but it would become glaring obvious immediately.

The problem with this is that the cliques within the group of us who post stories, would completely rig the whole thing.
Authors like myself and others who don't belong to these groups, would be left pissing into the wind.
It sounds great in theory but it would become glaring obvious immediately.

I have to tell you, I have been here going on six years, and I can't identify any cliques among the authors.

I have to tell you, I have been here going on six years, and I can't identify any cliques among the authors.
Really???
You have noticed it in the Coffee House???
Watch who is always talking and chatting with who, not responding to others, leaving people out, etc, etc.

When I first started writing in Spring of last year, I was talking to everyone and everyone was so polite.
My teams season started and I was gone all summer and the beginning part of fall.
When I came back, absolute crickets from EVERYBODY.
The only person who talked to me was Laurel.
That was when I started paying attention to what was really going on, on the different boards and forums.

I'm on-call 24/7 with 2 teenage daughters, so I can't ready everyone's stories though I read as many as I can everyday.

Cliques do exist. You can tell by the way people respond selectively and how they like/support each other's posts. It is not anything radical really, but probably enough to make the voting process biased, same as it is now with readers/followers, so I doubt authors only voting would be more fair. There are certain members here who could write a masterpiece that would put to shame Tolstoy, Shakespeare or Hemmingway, and still not get votes, because they are disliked. In the same way some not so impressive story would likely get voted due to author's popularity.
The only truly fair way would be to bring a couple of competent outside judges to read the stories and decide, but yeah, it is not a very realistic one.

Really???
You have noticed it in the Coffee House???
Watch who is always talking and chatting with who, not responding to others, leaving people out, etc, etc.

When I first started writing in Spring of last year, I was talking to everyone and everyone was so polite.
My teams season started and I was gone all summer and the beginning part of fall.
When I came back, absolute crickets from EVERYBODY.
The only person who talked to me was Laurel.
That was when I started paying attention to what was really going on, on the different boards and forums.

I'm on-call 24/7 with 2 teenage daughters, so I can't ready everyone's stories though I read as many as I can everyday.

I have only looked into the Coffee House a few times so I can't speak to that.

Cliques do exist. You can tell by the way people respond selectively and how they like/support each other's posts. It is not anything radical really, but probably enough to make the voting process biased, same as it is now with readers/followers, so I doubt authors only voting would be more fair. There are certain members here who could write a masterpiece that would put to shame Tolstoy, Shakespeare or Hemmingway, and still not get votes, because they are disliked. In the same way some not so impressive story would likely get voted due to author's popularity.
The only truly fair way would be to bring a couple of competent outside judges to read the stories and decide, but yeah, it is not a very realistic one.

Nothing you have described meets my definition of a clique. If a particular poster is disliked by a number of others, that does not make that group a clique.

I nominate Silkstockingslover. She's one of the most prolific writers on Literotica (the most prolific?), and most of them are sizzling hot in a wide variety of styles.

I would like to nominate CorruptingPower. His Quaranteam series is a delightful work and he inspired my Erotica-brain to not only propose a spin-off, but to come back to the medium altogether and now I'm literally a full-time Erotica author based on that choice. He is wonderful to work with author-to-author, his work is fantastic across all his series, and he deserves the award in my book.

I'd like to nominate BreaktheBar
His three main storylines, AMA the byfriend, Quaranteam North West and Font of Fertily, show a wide range of situations and challenges, a wild variety of sex scenes, and keep captivating the reader in the long run.

I have to agree that HDK should be in the nomination, so many great stories that are real stories, they take you on a journey and most of the time you feel ‘good’ after reaching the end.

However!

I’d like to nominate NoTalentHack, He has written some of the strongest emotional rollercoasters over the past several months and shows a grasp of storytelling that brings the reader into the tale being told!

I have to agree that HDK should be in the nomination, so many great stories that are real stories, they take you on a journey and most of the time you feel ‘good’ after reaching the end.

However!

I’d like to nominate NoTalentHack, He has written some of the strongest emotional rollercoasters over the past several months and shows a grasp of storytelling that brings the reader into the tale being told!
I agree. NoTalentHack is an excellent writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back