New Year's Poetry Resolutions

WickedEve

save an apple, eat eve
My new year's resolution for poetry is to actually write a darn poem! :D I can't remember when I last wrote one of those things.

What's your resolution?

to read your damn poem and praise it mindlessly:rose:
You were up late last night and you're still groggy, right? lol
Well, I want more Mr. 12 poems!
And more poems from everyone. Even though I may not participate as much lately, I'm still lurking around and reading what you people write.

You were up late last night and you're still groggy, right? lol
Well, I want more Mr. 12 poems!
And more poems from everyone. Even though I may not participate as much lately, I'm still lurking around and reading what you people write.
no i was playing russian roulette and true to form i was out of bullets, so i went to bed, alone...
but i did think about you...
don't go there...
seriously for the last two months I've been trying to write sonnets - I'm not joking - came acrossed some Edna St. Vincent Millay's translastions of Baudelaire, so I guess I should finish one or two, how is that for a resolution? Finish some of the crap I've been working on.

no i was playing russian roulette and true to form i was out of bullets, so i went to bed, alone...
but i did think about you...
don't go there...
seriously for the last two months I've been trying to write sonnets - I'm not joking - came acrossed some Edna St. Vincent Millay's translastions of Baudelaire, so I guess I should finish one or two, how is that for a resolution? Finish some of the crap I've been working on.
I avoid writing sonnets. I do like the terzanelle but not the villanelle. I'm weird that way. I want to read your sonnet when you finish it.

I'm going to edit my jazz poems and try to get them published, either in journals or (much better) as a chapbook. I'm also toying with the idea of writing a novel, but I'm sure I'll manage to squeeze some poems in, too. :)

Happy New Year.

:rose:

I avoid writing sonnets. I do like the terzanelle but not the villanelle. I'm weird that way. I want to read your sonnet when you finish it.
that's not weird, that's normal

Hey Ange if you write 14 one line haiku and arrange them so they rhyme, wouldn't that be a sonnet?

I'm going to edit my jazz poems and try to get them published, either in journals or (much better) as a chapbook. I'm also toying with the idea of writing a novel, but I'm sure I'll manage to squeeze some poems in, too. :)

Happy New Year.

A novel about what?

A novel about what?

Well either autobiographical (I think I do much better when I write about what I know, like uh me) or a novel about a fictional group of jazz musicians in the 1940s through post-World War Two. If I do the latter though I might want to do it as a play instead of a novel. I think it would work best as a play, but my ability to write dialogue and stage direction pretty well sucks so we'll see.

Well either autobiographical (I think I do much better when I write about what I know, like uh me) or a novel about a fictional group of jazz musicians in the 1940s through post-World War Two. If I do the latter though I might want to do it as a play instead of a novel. I think it would work best as a play, but my ability to write dialogue and stage direction pretty well sucks so we'll see.
For you, autobiographical would work out beautifully.

I'm going to try to write more ambitiously. I sent a few poems out to an editor who called them "enjoyable little poems" but who was looking for something more ambitious, larger in scale, more transformative. :eek:

So I figure I'll drink some whisky in a dirty glass, play cards with revolutionaries, and read some books on modern poetics and see what happens by December. :)

I hate writing resolutions. I try to be resolved to do things each day. I have some acquaintance with the way life can do damage to our desires, so I am hesitant in committing my hopes to paper.

I can say how much I want to write, want to be heard, want to be better at poems and at living but in my personal book of dreaming, I know that a page remains blank until a stylus meets paper and words appear in place of ephemeral ideas.

So, poetically speaking, I plan to continue sending out my poems and working on their poise, so that when they traipse down the stairs at their debut, they won't have to worry that their heels will snag their hem and that their ass will meet the floor.

that's not weird, that's normal

Hey Ange if you write 14 one line haiku and arrange them so they rhyme, wouldn't that be a sonnet?

I just saw this. You'd have a sonnet-ku, I think, although you'd probably have more trouble convincing the haiku fanatics than the sonneteers that it was a legimate form. I'd be down with it. I've written a Bob, you know. :)

I am making a resolution not to make resolutions because all the things I should give up like smoking and staying on the internet too long (thus driving my husband to the brink) I enjoy (not driving my husband etc lol) amd all the things I should be doing like the ironing (is there really a sofa under there?!) are an abomination to womankind. Ohhhhhhhh you mean poetry well I dunno it seems to be slipping away from me right now I see all the other contributions and think I will never be that good so why bother? When I was writing all that rhyming stuff before I came on here and folks loved it well it seemed so easy ....... give me a subject and I will write you a poem ..... just sit down and it just flowed. So now I am lost in a big pond of talent and maybe best I just leave it alone for awhile. But you folks are great and I still love to read you

I am making a resolution not to make resolutions because all the things I should give up like smoking and staying on the internet too long (thus driving my husband to the brink) I enjoy (not driving my husband etc lol) amd all the things I should be doing like the ironing (is there really a sofa under there?!) are an abomination to womankind. Ohhhhhhhh you mean poetry well I dunno it seems to be slipping away from me right now I see all the other contributions and think I will never be that good so why bother? When I was writing all that rhyming stuff before I came on here and folks loved it well it seemed so easy ....... give me a subject and I will write you a poem ..... just sit down and it just flowed. So now I am lost in a big pond of talent and maybe best I just leave it alone for awhile. But you folks are great and I still love to read you

You know, I feel this way too. Although I've noticed lately that I really get into all those domestic things (cleaning, cooking, hmmm maybe not ironing lol) a leetle too much. I went to this ultra-feminist college, and they'd probably throw rocks at me and make me give back my school ring if they saw me in the kitchen now.

And I get jealous of poetry here all the time and think "I could never produce that." Tzara, Bijou, Annaswirls, Champagne, Eve, Liar (to name a few): I read stuff they write and think "I'll never be able to match the quality of these poems." Hell, I even get jealous of stuff Tathagata writes sometimes and he's like my best buddy. :rolleyes:

But I will force myself to put my piddly (to me) poems up here, even if they make me look dumb cause I know I won't get better if I shut down. And I've read what you write--you're good! So don't make me feel this way alone! :D

You're a honey do you know that? I am going to force myself offline now and go and do some ironing and packing. I am going to Spain on Saturday so after I have had a rest (if sorting a holiday for myself my husband and my sister and all the problems that entails can be called a holiday!) perhaps I will come back and fill the site with flamencos!

You're a honey do you know that? I am going to force myself offline now and go and do some ironing and packing. I am going to Spain on Saturday so after I have had a rest (if sorting a holiday for myself my husband and my sister and all the problems that entails can be called a holiday!) perhaps I will come back and fill the site with flamencos!

Take me with you? I speak Spanish (well only in the present tense, but who wants to discuss their past anyway and the future is so iffy). Also, I know a poet in Portugal we could visit.

Ok, you'd have to take eagleyez too. I can't go anywhere without him. His Spanish is even worse than mine, but he's very sweet.

Take me with you? I speak Spanish (well only in the present tense, but who wants to discuss their past anyway and the future is so iffy). Also, I know a poet in Portugal we could visit.

Ok, you'd have to take eagleyez too. I can't go anywhere without him. His Spanish is even worse than mine, but he's very sweet.

As long as you are pretty good at not packing too much I have only booked three cases onboard!

Back