Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise

roosevelt dime
The Foodgasms Cookbook is now DONE! Click here for more info. :heart:

•••

Since my backpacking trip was postponed due to inclement weather, I am going to embrace that inclemency and create one of my favorite dishes for a cool, rainy day: shrimp gumbo. Gumbo is a definite labor of love for me, and I completely immerse myself in the entire process, focusing on it with all of my senses.

Prepping the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper, chopped into hearty rustic chunks) is the first step. Next, prepping the tomatoes: always whole, canned, excellent quality San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by my impeccably clean (when I'm cooking, anyway) hands. In no other recipe is the mise en place so completely essential as it is in a gumbo, at least the way I prepare it, but more about that later.

Next comes the roux, and I never take any shortcuts with a roux. Doing so would sully the entire experience for me; it would be like "wham bam thank you ma'am" sex. Equal parts (by volume) flour and oil, slowly cooked to a dark mocha brown, stirring all the while. As it progresses through the various stages of its ontogeny (from almost white through pale blond through dulce de leche through peanut butter through cafe au lait to mocha), it gives off a bewildering array of aromas, redolent of every roasted thing under the sun: almonds, peanuts, marshmallows, coffee, chocolate, peppers; you name it, it's in there. All from two of the most humble, simple, basic ingredients on the planet.

Once the roux has reached its culmination, then comes the most transcendental moment of the entire process for me, probably my favorite moment in all of cooking. The roux is searingly, infernally hot by this point, radiating so much heat that it's almost uncomfortable to keep my hand in close enough proximity to stir. Into this vat of fragrant mocha lava, I toss the entire trinity at once, whereupon I experience my ultimate foodgasm. Heart pounding, I savor the sound of the trinity/roux union first, a sizzle so loud and intense that it's almost an electric roar, a swirling maelstrom of sublime white noise. Then. Oh, oh fuck yes, then. The smell hits me. Hard. Like a crashing, thunderous, aromatic wave. The scent of the naked roux was unbelievably complex, but the orgasmic melding of roux and trinity yields a sensory cloud far too sublime and intoxicating for my powers of description to even begin to capture, so I won't even try. Come to my kitchen sometime and experience it yourself. As I stir and probe with my spatula until the trinity reaches its apotheosis, the aromatic explosion deepens and intensifies.

I will continue this, but I... I think I need a moment alone with my thoughts now.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to share your own foodgasms, whether they are achieved by cooking or consuming. Don't be shy, now. You know you wanna.

•••

I am very grateful to ForeverNAlways for designing this Index. There is a limit on the number of links allowed per post, so I'm splitting the Index into two parts.

Index, Part 1 (part 2 is here)

_pebbles
Black Bean Mole and Coconut Couscous

~Fata Morgana~
Bailey's Crème Brulee
Baguette and Butter Pudding Laced with Baileys
Cranachan
Murphy's and Bailey's Cheesecake.
My own Baileys!

1hotbabe
Cranberry-Pecan Pie
Hearty Salmon Chowder
My Mom's Pork Loin Roast

Adakgirl
Rustic Roast Pig

Angeline
Rigatoni Oreganata

BallinaB
Balsamic Beef Stew
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Mrs. D's "She Ain't Heavy" Chocolate Cake
Rosemary-Sage Pork Tenderloin with Pancetta and Fried Capers

Batchoohus
Apricot and White Chocolate Scones
Aunt Minnie's Lemon Meringue Pie
Mint Cucumber Sandwiches
Mochi
Prune Danish
Rose Butter
SIlKWORM PUPAS WITH GROUND PORK
Sticky Prune Pudding with Spiced Caramel Sauce
Strawberry Mochi
Turkey Jumble (aka "Ginger Not Maryanne")

Bert Notorious
Death By Velveeta

bluntforcemama
Clam & Sausage Tapas
Pomegranate-Glazed Cornish Game Hens with wild Rice-Chestnut Stuffing and Yogurt Sauce

CandyLipps
Chicken Marsala

cheesysusie
Grilled Flank Steak

Cherry
Colcannon Recipe

Collette
Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
Breakfast in a Cup
Cashew Brittle
Cranberry-Filled White Chocolate Cake
Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Duck Breast in Asian Molé Sauce (& Jicama-Haricots Salad)
Grubstake BBQ Rib Sauce
Oaxaca Style Grilled Corn
Pfeffernüsse
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Red Velvet Peppermint Cake
Salty Chocolate-Pecan Bark
Spaghetti With Arugula Pesto and Seared Jumbo Shrimp
Sweet & Spicy Marinade
Torta di Riso
World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

CrackerjackHrt
Great Apple Salad
Scott Peacock's Mama's Chicken and Rice
Rosalea's Green Chile Stew.
Spicy Beef Noodles

Delicacy
Corny Corn Bread
Fruity Steak Sauce
Golden Molasses Cinnamon Cake
Pistachio Biscotti
Potato & Cheese Filled Pierogies
Potato Chip Cookies
Spinach Dip

English Lady
Christmas Cake

fallenupright
Fallen's Meatloaf & Potato Rosti

GiannaF
Muffulletta Sandwiches

going_long
Orange Roasted Veg

gravyrug
Chex Mix
Crack Dip
Hamburger Stew

Hamletmaschine
Cajun Meatloaf

Hester
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Cabbage Strudel
Cold Beet Salad
Cow Cod Soup
Goat and Roasted Vegetative Matter Stew
Hester Greens 1 & 2 =)
Pinapple Cookies
Stewed Pork 'n Apples

honeypot104
Fruit Crumble

impetuous
Banana Bread

KravMaga
Crawfish Etouffee
Crème Brulee
Falafel
French Toast for Challah or Sandwich Bread
Grilled Tomato & Cheese Pizzas
Home Made Marshmallows
Hot Wings
Lamb Tagine w/Prunes, Apricots, & Veggies
Ratatouille & Goat Cheese Salad w/Pesto Vinaigrette
Remoulade Sauce
Rib-eye Steaks w/mushrooms, brandy, & Blue Cheese
Sweet and Sour Sardines: Sarde in Agrodolce
Waldorf Chicken Salad
Wild Mushroom Risotto
Yogurt Mint Cucumber Salad

ksmybuttons
Hot Chocolate
Pumpkin Pie
Ultimate Macaroni & Cheese

Lavared
Chicken Asparagus Casserole
Cinnamon Crumb Apple Pie

leZilla
Blue Cheese, Pear, and Pecan Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Chicken Thigh Fricassee with Mushrooms and Rosemary
Chicken Vegetable Curry with Noodles or Rice
Chive Oil Tagliatelle
Creamy Pesto Shrimp
Dijon Crusted Halibut
Irish Cream Cheesecake
Potato, Rosemary and Caramelized Onion Cakes
Scallops Mascarpone
Terriyaki Tuna
True Blue Potato Salad

LittleJade
Black Forest Trifle
Chili
Hot Spinach Salad

LostBaby
Cranberry Nut Bread/Muffins

LowMurmur
Thai Chicken & Basil
Tom Yum Goong

(part 2 of the Index is here)

Last edited:
fuck you.

i've been thinking of making this very post.

except i go for gumbo ya-ya.

one thing i like about gumbo is that making a good dark roux intimidates the shit out of some high-falutin' chefs, and some illiterate swampers can do it with their eyes closed.

a very luxurious but egalitarian dish.

and the memory of throwing the trinity into the roux--all smell and sound--is one i hope i keep with me until i die.

One of my favorite things is the perfect creme brulee.

I don't like to use a torch, make them in the oven the old fashioned way, dries out the custard a little, I think, and makes the best crust.

The first bite on the spoon, breaking through the sugar into the custard, is my favorite.

I'm desirous of sausage and shrimp jambalaya.

Just dirty rice today.

dolf said:
i have never eaten gumbo...

My daddy's a Yankee, but my mama knows how to make a Roux. Crawfish boils and my favorite, crawfish etouffee, were basics.

It's worth bein' Southern for the food.

CrackerjackHrt said:
fuck you.

i've been thinking of making this very post.

except i go for gumbo ya-ya.

one thing i like about gumbo is that making a good dark roux intimidates the shit out of some high-falutin' chefs, and some illiterate swampers can do it with their eyes closed.

a very luxurious but egalitarian dish.

and the memory of throwing the trinity into the roux--all smell and sound--is one i hope i keep with me until i die.

Could you possibly rock any harder? I think not.

Luxurious but egalitarian. Yes! Oh fuck yes. The more into cooking I become, the more I appreciate the beauty of simple, rustic food. here's my personal cooking philosophy, develped over the years, in a nutshell: take just a few of the finest, freshest ingredients you can get your hands on, and DON'T FUCK THEM UP.

It sounds flippant, but it's not. It's all about preparing the food in such a way that each ingredient gives its utmost to the final dish, achieving its optimum flavor, texture, and aroma.

Freya said:
You have a way with words, turtle man.

Thank you, my friend, and likewise. Your words are even sexier than the rest of you, which is saying a mouthful.

Recidiva said:

I don't like to use a torch, make them in the oven the old fashioned way, dries out the custard a little, I think, and makes the best crust.

The first bite on the spoon, breaking through the sugar into the custard, is my favorite.

Mmm, yes. It's the combination of textures and flavors. Plain custard is meh, but add caramelization and crunch, why, you've got a party in your mouth!

heart stopping delight thank you for arousing my senses.

tortoise said:
Since my backpacking trip was postponed due to inclement weather, I am going to embrace that inclemency and create one of my favorite dishes for a cool, rainy day: shrimp gumbo. Gumbo is a definite labor of love for me, and I completely immerse myself in the entire process, focusing on it with all of my senses.

Prepping the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper, chopped into hearty rustic chunks) is the first step. Next, prepping the tomatoes: always whole, canned, excellent quality San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by my impeccably clean (when I'm cooking, anyway) hands. In no other recipe is the mise en place so completely essential as it is in a gumbo, at least the way I prepare it, but more about that later.

Next comes the roux, and I never take any shortcuts with a roux. Doing so would sully the entire experience for me; it would be like "wham bam thank you ma'am" sex. Equal parts (by volume) flour and oil, slowly cooked to a dark mocha brown, stirring all the while. As it progresses through the various stages of its ontogeny (from almost white through pale blond through dulce de leche through peanut butter through cafe au lait to mocha), it gives off a bewildering array of aromas, redolent of every roasted thing under the sun: almonds, peanuts, marshmallows, coffee, chocolate, peppers; you name it, it's in there. All from two of the most humble, simple, basic ingredients on the planet.

Once the roux has reached its culmination, then comes the most transcendental moment of the entire process for me, probably my favorite moment in all of cooking. The roux is searingly, infernally hot by this point, radiating so much heat that it's almost uncomfortable to keep my hand in close enough proximity to stir. Into this vat of fragrant mocha lava, I toss the entire trinity at once, whereupon I experience my ultimate foodgasm. Heart pounding, I savor the sound of the trinity/roux union first, a sizzle so loud and intense that it's almost an electric roar, a swirling maelstrom of sublime white noise. Then. Oh, oh fuck yes, then. The smell hits me. Hard. Like a crashing, thunderous, aromatic wave. The scent of the naked roux was unbelievably complex, but the orgasmic melding of roux and trinity yields a sensory cloud far too sublime and intoxicating for my powers of description to even begin to capture, so I won't even try. Come to my kitchen sometime and experience it yourself. As I stir and probe with my spatula until the trinity reaches its apotheosis, the aromatic explosion deepens and intensifies.

I will continue this, but I... I think I need a moment alone with my thoughts now.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to share your own foodgasms, whether they are achieved by cooking or consuming. Don't be shy, now. You know you wanna.

I must admit...this post is quite haunting!

FOODGASMS COOKBOOK - Click here for very exciting news about a Foodgasms cookbook, lovingly compiled by Collette.

•••

•••

I am very grateful to ForeverNAlways for designing this Index. There is a limit on the number of links allowed per post, so I'm splitting the Index into two parts.

Index, Part 1 (part 2 is here)

_pebbles
Black Bean Mole and Coconut Couscous

~Fata Morgana~
Bailey's Crème Brulee
Baguette and Butter Pudding Laced with Baileys
Cranachan
Murphy's and Bailey's Cheesecake.
My own Baileys!

1hotbabe
Cranberry-Pecan Pie
Hearty Salmon Chowder
My Mom's Pork Loin Roast

Adakgirl
Rustic Roast Pig

Angeline
Rigatoni Oreganata

BallinaB
Balsamic Beef Stew
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Mrs. D's "She Ain't Heavy" Chocolate Cake
Rosemary-Sage Pork Tenderloin with Pancetta and Fried Capers

Batchoohus
Apricot and White Chocolate Scones
Aunt Minnie's Lemon Meringue Pie
Mint Cucumber Sandwiches
Mochi
Prune Danish
Rose Butter
SIlKWORM PUPAS WITH GROUND PORK
Sticky Prune Pudding with Spiced Caramel Sauce
Strawberry Mochi
Turkey Jumble (aka "Ginger Not Maryanne")

Bert Notorious
Death By Velveeta

bluntforcemama
Clam & Sausage Tapas
Pomegranate-Glazed Cornish Game Hens with wild Rice-Chestnut Stuffing and Yogurt Sauce

CandyLipps
Chicken Marsala

cheesysusie
Grilled Flank Steak

Cherry
Colcannon Recipe

Collette
Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
Breakfast in a Cup
Cashew Brittle
Cranberry-Filled White Chocolate Cake
Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Duck Breast in Asian Molé Sauce (& Jicama-Haricots Salad)
Grubstake BBQ Rib Sauce
Oaxaca Style Grilled Corn
Pfeffernüsse
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Red Velvet Peppermint Cake
Salty Chocolate-Pecan Bark
Spaghetti With Arugula Pesto and Seared Jumbo Shrimp
Sweet & Spicy Marinade
Torta di Riso
World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

CrackerjackHrt
Great Apple Salad
Scott Peacock's Mama's Chicken and Rice
Rosalea's Green Chile Stew.
Spicy Beef Noodles

Delicacy
Corny Corn Bread
Fruity Steak Sauce
Golden Molasses Cinnamon Cake
Pistachio Biscotti
Potato & Cheese Filled Pierogies
Potato Chip Cookies
Spinach Dip

English Lady
Christmas Cake

fallenupright
Fallen's Meatloaf & Potato Rosti

GiannaF
Muffulletta Sandwiches

going_long
Orange Roasted Veg

gravyrug
Chex Mix
Crack Dip
Hamburger Stew

Hamletmaschine
Cajun Meatloaf

Hester
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Cabbage Strudel
Cold Beet Salad
Cow Cod Soup
Goat and Roasted Vegetative Matter Stew
Hester Greens 1 & 2 =)
Pinapple Cookies
Stewed Pork 'n Apples

honeypot104
Fruit Crumble

impetuous
Banana Bread

KravMaga
Crawfish Etouffee
Crème Brulee
Falafel
French Toast for Challah or Sandwich Bread
Grilled Tomato & Cheese Pizzas
Home Made Marshmallows
Hot Wings
Lamb Tagine w/Prunes, Apricots, & Veggies
Ratatouille & Goat Cheese Salad w/Pesto Vinaigrette
Remoulade Sauce
Rib-eye Steaks w/mushrooms, brandy, & Blue Cheese
Sweet and Sour Sardines: Sarde in Agrodolce
Waldorf Chicken Salad
Wild Mushroom Risotto
Yogurt Mint Cucumber Salad

ksmybuttons
Hot Chocolate
Pumpkin Pie
Ultimate Macaroni & Cheese

Lavared
Chicken Asparagus Casserole
Cinnamon Crumb Apple Pie

leZilla
Blue Cheese, Pear, and Pecan Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Chicken Thigh Fricassee with Mushrooms and Rosemary
Chicken Vegetable Curry with Noodles or Rice
Chive Oil Tagliatelle
Creamy Pesto Shrimp
Dijon Crusted Halibut
Irish Cream Cheesecake
Potato, Rosemary and Caramelized Onion Cakes
Scallops Mascarpone
Terriyaki Tuna
True Blue Potato Salad

LittleJade
Black Forest Trifle
Chili
Hot Spinach Salad

LostBaby
Cranberry Nut Bread/Muffins

LowMurmur
Thai Chicken & Basil
Tom Yum Goong

(part 2 of the Index is here)

Last edited:
I love, love, LOVE to crush San Marzano tomatoes with my hands, it's such a squishy, naughty feeling to me! I now feel the need to make a yummy tomato sauce for Sunday supper.

tortoise, you MUST take pictures of said gumbo. :kiss:

in honor of this thread, i will fuck myself today with at least one food or food-related item.

Recidiva said:

Separate the eggs and whisk the yolks after the cream has finished steeping; if left to sit, the surface of the yolks will dry and form a film. A vanilla bean gives custard the deepest flavor, but 2 teaspoons of extract, whisked into the yolks in step 4, can be used instead. The best way to judge doneness is with a digital instant-read thermometer. The custards, especially if baked in shallow fluted dishes, will not be deep enough to provide an accurate reading with a dial-face thermometer. For the caramelized sugar crust, we recommend turbinado or Demerara sugar. Regular granulated sugar will work, too, but use only 1 scant teaspoon on each ramekin or 1 teaspoon on each shallow fluted dish. If you don't own eight individual ramekins, see the related Family Style version.

Serves 8 4 cups heavy cream , chilled
2/3 cup granulated sugar
pinch table salt
1 vanilla bean , halved lengthwise
12 large egg yolks
8 - 12 teaspoons turbinado sugar or Demerara sugar

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Combine 2 cups cream, sugar, and salt in medium saucepan; with paring knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pan, submerge pod in cream, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to ensure that sugar dissolves. Take pan off heat and let steep 15 minutes to infuse flavors.

3. Meanwhile, place kitchen towel in bottom of large baking dish or roasting pan and arrange eight 4- to 5-ounce ramekins (or shallow fluted dishes) on towel. Bring kettle or large saucepan of water to boil over high heat.

4. After cream has steeped, stir in remaining 2 cups cream to cool down mixture. Whisk yolks in large bowl until broken up and combined. Whisk about 1 cup cream mixture into yolks until loosened and combined; repeat with another 1 cup cream. Add remaining cream and whisk until evenly colored and thoroughly combined. Strain through fine-mesh strainer into 2-quart measuring cup or pitcher (or clean medium bowl); discard solids in strainer. Pour or ladle mixture into ramekins, dividing it evenly among them.

5. Carefully place baking dish with ramekins on oven rack; pour boiling water into dish, taking care not to splash water into ramekins, until water reaches two-thirds height of ramekins. Bake until centers of custards are just barely set and are no longer sloshy and digital instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 170 to 175 degrees, 30 to 35 minutes (25 to 30 minutes for shallow fluted dishes). Begin checking temperature about 5 minutes before recommended time.

6. Transfer ramekins to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Set ramekins on rimmed baking sheet, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.

7. Uncover ramekins; if condensation has collected on custards, place paper towel on surface to soak up moisture. Sprinkle each with about 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar (1 1/2 teaspoons for shallow fluted dishes); tilt and tap ramekin for even coverage. Ignite torch and caramelize sugar. Refrigerate ramekins, uncovered, to re-chill, 30 to 45 minutes (but no longer); serve.

Other favorites:

Penne Alla Caprese, fresh tomatoes marinated in garlic and olive oil and basil. Toss with penne al dente. The perfect point is finely shredded mozzerella melting with the heat of the pasta and no more, the tomatoes warmed through and the cheese just at the right consistency.

Pasta Carbonara: Sauce made from the egg yolk heating through from the heat of the pasta, sausage and bacon and cream.

Anise Duck: Duck is dried out for a day or two, the meat left to drain. (Hanging in the shower...might freak some people out, but not if they are staying long enough to taste it) Steam the duck with ginger and rice wine and scallions. Marinate in ginger and rice wine and scallions and anise. Steam again. Bread in flour lightly, then flash fry. Serve with Flower Rolls, Chinese steamed bread that's layered with salt and peanut oil and scallions. Wrap the duck in the bread, dip in fresh ground pepper and sea salt.

tortoise said:
2fbdb2c008a0a549089f9010.L.jpg

God Damned Right.

You can pry my copy of River Road Recipes out of my cold, dead hands and go toe to toe with my daughter for it.

I love expressing my feelings for someone through the food I cook for them.............

We're all born with a box of matches inside us.
We can't light them by ourselves,
they can be lit from a melody, a sound, a caress, our lover's breath,
anything that pulls the trigger and sets off one of the matches.
Every person has to discover what will pull the trigger
and enable him to live.
Because it is the explosive flare of the match that feeds our souls.
If there's nothing to trigger the explosion,
our box of matches becomes damp,
and then we will never be able to light any of them.
Of course, it is important to light the matches one at a time,
because if an intense burst of emotion were to ignite them all at once,
they would produce such a strong brilliance,
that before our eyes would appear a tunnel of such radiance,
showing us the path that we forgot at birth,
the same path that calls us back to our divine origins.​

dolf said:
i have never eaten gumbo...

Come on over!

Adakgirl said:
ummmmmmmmmm.. I like doritos dipped into cottage cheeze.
heh

A fine snack indeed, though I'm on more of a Wheat Thins kick these days.

Fagin said:
I'm desirous of sausage and shrimp jambalaya.

Just dirty rice today.

Oh hell yes. Jambalaya. When each grain of rice is cooked perfectly, just the right cleavage. Mouthwatering. I loves me some dirty rice, too, though.

Batchoohus said:
heart stopping delight thank you for arousing my senses.

My pleasure, sweetness, and thank you for your kind words.

poppy1963 said:
I must admit...this post is quite haunting!

Thank you.

Tatiana0706 said:
I love, love, LOVE to crush San Marzano tomatoes with my hands, it's such a squishy, naughty feeling to me! I now feel the need to make a yummy tomato sauce for Sunday supper.

tortoise, you MUST take pictures of said gumbo. :kiss:

Yes! Sensory decadence. Playing with your food is so deliciously naughty.

Thank you, sweet Tati. Take pictures of your sauce, too!

Okay, now that sentence evoked some yummy mental images!! *adjust* ;) :kiss:

Curried Chicken Salad with Autumn Fruits: (Sarah Leah Chase, "Cold Weather Cooking"

Chicken breast poached in chicken broth, mixed in wiht strips of dried figs, dates and apricot, garlic, almonds, mango chutney and Aioli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back