Holiday Traditions

The naming and decorating of the real Christmas tree.

Attempts at creating a Charly Brown tree from the lower trimmings of the tree that have had mixed success.

Nog with bourbon, whipped cream and extra nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkles.

Watching A Christmas Story and finding a place in my life where I can casually say "you'll shoot your eye out." in normal conversation. Bonus points if it can go unnoticed.

Donating something every time I am asked.

Playing Christmas copious music. Old school classics like Bing and Sinatra as well as newer indie quirky tunes. Constant.

Entertaining fantasies that involve warm red velveted laps, rosey cheeks, and hearty laughter.

Some others I have held for many years seem to be falling away as I continue to close certain chapters in my life, but this year I am feeling the space of all that I have let go of has left behind and I am hoping to build some new traditions this year to carry me into the years to come.

The naming and decorating of the real Christmas tree.

Attempts at creating a Charly Brown tree from the lower trimmings of the tree that have had mixed success.

Nog with bourbon, whipped cream and extra nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkles.

Watching A Christmas Story and finding a place in my life where I can casually say "you'll shoot your eye out." in normal conversation. Bonus points if it can go unnoticed.

Donating something every time I am asked.

Playing Christmas copious music. Old school classics like Bing and Sinatra as well as newer indie quirky tunes. Constant.

Entertaining fantasies that involve warm red velveted laps, rosey cheeks, and hearty laughter.

Some others I have held for many years seem to be falling away as I continue to close certain chapters in my life, but this year I am feeling the space of all that I have let go of has left behind and I am hoping to build some new traditions this year to carry me into the years to come.

Well if you are looking for new traditions, you are in the right thread :) That's exactly why I started this!

Many of yours really echo my own, eerily so, even! I don't name the tree, but I really, really like that one!! I just might start this year with Johan Catjuggler :D Don't ask. Or possibly Fred. Have you ever made from scratch egg nog? Totally, totally worth it, and you may never drink the stuff out of the cartoon again if you do... Definitely quoting A Christmas Story! Definitely donating time, toys, or whatever is needed. Christmas music, check! I haven't gone the fantasy route though. May have to try that as well... ;)

I think you may have prompted - or at least motivated a fresh burst of - a Christmas AV tradition on Lit! :D

You can't turn around with falling over a new one (Kudos, Meeks! :rose:) I don't remember seeing nearly as many last year! I went back to KoPilot's several times before I caught the color change. One of those, "What the heck is wrong with this picture moments!". :D

For those of you who are incorporating fantasization as a new holiday tradition, do keep in mind that my Santa is just resting up for another round of debauchery. And, yes, he'll put his fuzzy warm suit on again when he wakes up.

For those of you who are incorporating fantasization as a new holiday tradition, do keep in mind that my Santa is just resting up for another round of debauchery. And, yes, he'll put his fuzzy warm suit on again when he wakes up.

:eek:

This type of thing from you shocks me, MWY. I'm not quite sure why, but I always think you have a mind above sex. :eek:

:D

*Swoon*

So, when it comes to this type of debauchery, is it better to be naughty... or nice?

Just Curious and what have you.

:eek:

This type of thing from you shocks me, MWY. I'm not quite sure why, but I always think you have a mind above sex. :eek:

:D

Sneaky that one is. Yes.

*Swoon*

So, when it comes to this type of debauchery, is it better to be naughty... or nice?

Just Curious and what have you.

I like to apply my "mind above sex" to the task of helping both naughty and nice girls understand their proper place in the universe. ;)

:eek: What the hey! Off the board for a few hours and come back to this! :eek:

Bah humbug. Ok fine. I'll wait.

In the mean time, I heard a rumor and curious minds really want to know...

Does your North Pole really taste like peppermint?

I've heard that said. But I've also heard that the finish is more like a warm hot chocolate.

That sounds truly magical. I believe. I believe. I believe.

Today will be the cutting of the tree day, though I won't be participating. Too much cold and too much walking for my deadened feet. Still, by nightfall we'll have a tree on hand to nurture and keep moist until we can get it put up in the house in a couple weeks. Usually we get the tree one day and put it up the next, but we won't be around next weekend and the weekend following is much too close to Christmas to be dealing with all the tree work then.

We celebrated St Nikolaus today. Not a Swedish tradition at all, but something my father broughtwith him.
When I was a child we celebrated with other families and sometimes at large gatherings at some hotel for example.
There would be someone dressed up as St Nikolaus and someone dressed up as Krampus the Christmas Devil. We'd get presents and sweets and run around and play.
We used to have an Advent wreath decorated with a Krampus made from dried plums and steel wire.

These days Nikolaus just knocks on the door and leaves bags of sweets on the doorstep for the kids, but they have never managed to catch sight of him.
We had a little celebration with my side of the family with the Swedish variation of mulled wine (glögg), Cristmas stollen (a kind of fruit cake), gingerbread and raisins and almonds.

During Advent it is tradition to have some kind of calendar for the kids. In our case we have embroiderd calendars with little rings for every date where you are supposed to attach little presents. (My mother in law made them, I'm not that self destructive.)
Now when the kids are older we just make presents for special dates like the sundays and St Nikolaus and then we make it a bit bigger and something useful.
Today the got dresses because they work hard on getting taller and their clothes can't keep up.

Last edited:
We celebrated St Nikolaus today. Not a Swedish tradition at all, but something my father broughtwith him.
When I was a child we celebrated with other families and sometimes at large gatherings at some hotel for example.
There would be someone dressed up as St Nikolaus and someone dressed up as Krampus the Christmas Devil. We'd get presents and sweets and run around and play.
We used to have an Advent wreath decorated with a Krampus made from dried plums and steel wire.

These days Nikolaus just knocks on the door and leaves bags of sweets on the doorstep for the kids, but they have never managed to catch sight of him.
We had a little celebration with my side of the family with the Swedish variation of mulled wine (glögg), Cristmas stollen (a kind of fruit cake), gingerbread and raisins and almonds.

During Advent it is tradition to have some kind of calendar for the kids. In our case we have embroiderd calendars with little rings for every date where you are supposed to attach little presents. (My mother in law made them, I'm not that self destructive.)
Now when the kids are older we just make presents for special dates like the sundays and St Nikolaus and then we make it a bit bigger and something useful.
Today the got dresses because they work hard on getting taller and their clothes can't keep up.

That's cool. I've met Krampus in passing in Austria myself too, but I've never had any up close experience with him. I've put candy in kids' well cleaned shoes that they leave outside their door or window when I've lived elsewhere.

I was going to come mention the calendar thing here as well, but I see you already did. I've never had one big one like IA describes, but they're common here as well. Often there would be one like that for the whole family and everyone would have designated dates when they get to open it and keep what's inside, be it a little toy or candybar or whatever. Every kid would have a store bought calendar of their own on top of the big one.

I still get an Advent Calendar every year myself. I get the picture kind where you open the little numbered windows and get to see a cute picture. The ones with bits of chocolate behind the windows are very popular as well.

Each year there's also Christmas calendar on TV and/or radio as well. There are some that are only aimed at kids or adults, but many are such that both enjoy them. It's a TV series, the episodes are usually 5-15 minutes long and there's one every day until Christmas Eve. The story is christmassy and usually involves tomtes, who are sort of Santas little helpers and protect houses, animals and so on.

Today will be the cutting of the tree day, though I won't be participating. Too much cold and too much walking for my deadened feet. Still, by nightfall we'll have a tree on hand to nurture and keep moist until we can get it put up in the house in a couple weeks. Usually we get the tree one day and put it up the next, but we won't be around next weekend and the weekend following is much too close to Christmas to be dealing with all the tree work then.

We had 90 acres and plenty of trees where I grew up. The cutting of the tree was always a treat! Us kids might try to influence my dad through the year, suggesting this or that tree for a Christmas tree, but it was always his choice. When the day came he would gear up and trudge off, and then all we could do was wait for him to come back with a tree in tow. Depending on the weather and the size of the tree he would take one of the ponies with him to drag the tree back.
Yep, it's about as idealistic a childhood as one can get... :D
Then it was hot chocolate time and decorate the tree!!

Back