Nick Cave's Thoughts on Inspiration

HeyAll

Literotica Guru
Read this just now and felt it was necessary to share, to expand the reach of this message. If you're interested in joining this newsletter, look up Nick Cave's "Red Hand Files" and subscribe. Highly recommend. He's a supremely talented writer.

Not saying that I totally agree with this message. I rely on inspiration. But I've always appreciated the concept of a writer being a worker. Cave once said that he puts on his suit and goes to work, meaning he goes to his room and writes. I've come to respect writers who treat writing as a job. Tarantino made a similar comment about how he writes in traditional hours like it's a job.

Having said that, treating writing like a job is what makes it more fun. It feels like the stakes are higher. That it's more work, but more reward. If writing is treated solely based on muse and inspiration, then there will be less, and it will mean less, and it'll come and go.

My muses have left me and I have lost all motivation to create as a film and music maker. Have you ever felt alien to yourself and your identity as an artist?

TAM, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA​

Every time I set foot in my studio, intentions blazing, I crumble with pathetic and flaccid paralysis. Do it, paint. No. Fuck. Why not? I can’t get my brain right in that space anymore, and I thought my whole life was going to be devoted to my art. I don’t know how to reconnect or reconcile making art in a world made of war and cruelty, how would painting a fucking picture ever help. How do you create in this environment?

DAN, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA​

Dear Tam and Dan,
What makes our particular job so exceptional that it requires inspiration or a muse to do it? We are artists and we labour in the service of others. It is not something we do only if and when we feel motivated – we create because it is our responsibility to do so. In this respect our occupation is no different than that of most people. Does an ordinary adult go to work only if they feel in the mood? Do doctors? Do labourers? Do teachers? Do taxi drivers? We are duty-bound to do our job, like everyone else, because the space we occupy depends upon our participation and breaks down if we don’t. A committed artist cannot afford the luxury of revelation. Inspiration is the indolent indulgence of the dabbler. Muses, Tam, are for losers!

The idea that you can’t paint because the world is 'made of war and cruelty' has to be the lamest and most faint-hearted excuse not to work I have ever heard, Dan. How will painting a fucking picture help? — it will help because art is the noble and necessary rejoinder to the sins of the world. When the world rushes toward us with all its streaming wounds – wanting, needing – do we cover our eyes and shrink away, do we sit and wring our hands in despair, do we run and hide, or do we hasten toward it, like we hasten toward an injured child, with our arms outstretched?

If we are to call ourselves artists then we must avoid the myriad excuses that present themselves and do our job. Yes, the world is sick, and yes it can be cruel, but it would be a whole lot sicker and a whole lot crueler if it were not for painters and filmmakers and songwriters – the beauty-makers – wading through the blood and muck of things, whilst reaching skyward to draw down the very heavens themselves.

These are perilous and urgent times. This is not the hour to sit around moaning about the condition of the world — leave that to the posturing inhabitants of that most morbidly neurotic of spaces, social media — and nor is it the moment to fruitlessly wait for inspiration to find us. It’s time to get to work, to reach up and tear the divine idea from its heavenly cradle and proffer it to the world. Create, Tam! Create, Dan! Create like your life depends on it, because, of course, of course, it does!

Love, Nick

Last edited:
I don't know about his writing talent, but I can't say that I agree with his message. Inspiration and motivation are key ingredients for creating art. If anybody needs to force themselves to create something then it will show on the product.

This message reads like typical motivational bullshit to me, no offense.

If you can't get yourself up off the mat no one can.

But these days you can always use Ai like the rest of the hacks and cheats are.

I relate to this attitude, very much. I've spent a few decades in a stressful, difficult career where I'm given projects that involve professional, non-fiction writing and editing, and I have tight deadlines to complete them. I can't just say, "The muse isn't there for me." I have to complete the project anyway, muse be damned. I arrived at creative writing long after the lessons of my profession had become deeply ingrained. I see art as just another thing people do, like bricklaying or phlebotomy, rather than a mystical, muse-driven realm. Don't wait for the muse to show up; write anyway. Be diligent, work hard, make it happen, and see what results. The world doesn't care about your handwringing. Nobody gives a damn when a plumber says, "I feel alien to myself." The same attitude should apply to artists and writers.

Nick Cave is a professional writer, song-writer, and musician. He's doing his art for a living. If he doesn't grind down, he doesn't produce content, he doesn't produce his art.

The rest of us might be able to indulge in a muse (I know I do), but I don't survive from my writing.

His stance reminds me of Sam Scribble - he was a professional writer too, and needed his words to make a buck. So every day, he went to work, just like the rest of us. It was his job, only his job was to write.

I don't know about his writing talent, but I can't say that I agree with his message. Inspiration and motivation are key ingredients for creating art. If anybody needs to force themselves to create something then it will show on the product.

This message reads like typical motivational bullshit to me, no offense.
The difference is when you write/create as a hobby and when you do it for employment.

If you have bills to pay, you work whether you are feeling it or not.

Nick Cave is a professional writer, song-writer, and musician. He's doing his art for a living. If he doesn't grind down, he doesn't produce content, he doesn't produce his art.

The rest of us might be able to indulge in a muse (I know I do), but I don't survive from my writing.

His stance reminds me of Sam Scribble - he was a professional writer too, and needed his words to make a buck. So every day, he went to work, just like the rest of us. It was his job, only his job was to write.
That's the whole issue with universal messages like the one OP posted. It stems from the idea that everyone writes for the same reason, that everyone can just keep doing their "work" and push through it. Well, not everyone does this for work.
Also, since the original post mentions teachers... Being a teacher myself, I know that many times you need to teach even when you think it's futile and senseless, even when you think it's falling on deaf ears... but I also know that I usually do a better job when I feel inspired and motivated, and I'll bet that is important for all those who aren't teaching because it's their job, but because they have something to teach.

The difference is when you write/create as a hobby and when you do it for employment.

If you have bills to pay, you work whether you are feeling it or not.
Absolutely. That was my point as well. The original post makes sense if writing, composing, or painting is your job. If it's not, then it's just sanctimonious and judgmental bollocks ;)

Absolutely. That was my point as well. The original post makes sense if writing, composing, or painting is your job. If it's not, then it's just sanctimonious and judgmental bollocks ;)
It's his job. Does that change your response?

This resonates with me. I don't write for a living, but writing is important to me. It's great when I'm inspired and the words are flowing, but if I only wrote when that was the case I'd fall in and out of the habit, setting it aside whenever it doesn't sound exciting. I find my life more satisfying when I write, so when it feels like work I treat it like work and do it anyway. And often I find I can push through that feeling and get a head of steam and get back to the fun inspiring parts.

It's his job. Does that change your response?
Not really, since his message sounds like one of universal wisdom and I really dislike those. If it's a job for him, it isn't for everyone. I would probably have the same kind of problem with most such messages.

Waiting for mildly to weight in. ;)

While I do agree that "I can't make art because the world is shit" is a lame cop-out specifically, I'm not so sure that I agree with Nick's whole take. Every time that I have ever sat down and forced myself to squeeze something out of my creativity I've never gotten anything good. I mean I've never kept track of any stats but I wouldn't be surprised if not once in my entire life have I ever had a productive artistic session that was forced or otherwise not sparked by inspiration. Most of the time, if the muse is just not there I go do something else (mow the lawn, clip my toenails, etc), but even these days I still find myself trying to force something out. Just last week I worked on a chapter of my novella, forcing and grinding out the prose. Now I have a shit mess of a chapter that will take me longer to fix than if I had just waited for the proper inspiration to write it in the first place. There's a good chance that I'll probably just delete the whole damn thing and start over. When I'm in the inspiration groove I end up keeping almost everything (although I edit and draft in equal amounts). "Don't force it" is probably the single most elemental aspect that I have learned about my personal creativity, yet there are times when I don't heed the lesson learned and it always burns me. Then I see just the other day an Alan Watts video with bold letters on it saying "NEVER FORCE ANYTHING" as if the universe is smacking me in the face to remind me not to be such a dumb bitch trying to outsmart creation.

I'm sure that what works for Nick works great for him (and his body of work is far more prolific than mine so who the fuck am I?) but it's probably not for everyone. I do see what he means about artists and their work ethic, but for me I honestly believe that I am not being lazy. It's not about the effort, it's about the result and I get far far better results when I let it come to me.

Chase it and be forever chasing. Let it go and it will come to you. The meek shall inherit the earth.

Nick Cave is a professional writer, song-writer, and musician. He's doing his art for a living.

He's also in a space where he controls everything in his art.

One has to be careful with this. I've come to regard myself as fortunate to write (not only prose but also music) with complete freedom because I don't have any commissions nor deadlines, nor executives looking over my shoulder - no editors nor producers picking my stuff apart or changing it. I know people in my life who have taken that 'wonderful advice' that we are told when we are young: get a job in a field that you love so you can get paid to do what you love. Most of the time this does not work out very well.

My cousin loved sound and music and so went to recording school and became an engineer graduating at the top of the class. Then there were no jobs since the industry was flooded with young hungry graduates, so he edited cartoon voice actors for minimum wage and repaired all the damaged machines in the studio and went above and beyond. When he asked for a raise they fired him. He ended up totally resenting the art that he loved, hated his life and ultimately went back to school to change careers.

Another friend of mine loved computers and coding so he went to university and became a full on coder. Now he works on automated marketing shit and spends his days talking to clients about website hits and other crap. He does nothing creative. It's just a job to pay the mortgage. He has given up.

Very true. Certainly this last decade.

Superb in concert too. Not only is he one of today's best song-writers, but also one of the best front-men in rock.

Watching him crawl out over the audience like a black spider, singing "Into Your Arms", that alone was worth the price of admission.

Saint Nick...one of Australia's greatest artists. I like his thoughts here, but they don't really apply to what I do at Literotica. I write here solely for my own enjoyment (and hopefully the enjoyment of at least a few others), so if I don't feel like writing, I just wait until I do. I know that's not a very intellectual approach, but I don't view Literotica through a very intellectual prism...no issue with those that do, of course. 😀

I don't think Nick Cave is in a position to be giving anyone advice about anything ....
Last time I looked, he's got a fair following, pulls the crowds at gigs, sells records, sells books, is asked to work with many musicians and film directors. He's got at least half a clue. But if you don't like what he does, that's fine.

Waiting for mildly to weight in. ;)
Imagine my surprise when I found a whole thread about dear Nicholas 😮

Superb in concert too.
His stage presence is quite unmatched in my unbiased opinion.

Anyway:

I'm someone who holds writing close (maybe too close?) to my identity. I think of myself as a writer, so my family and friends think of me that way too. It is the thing I spend most of my time with. With that in mind, the question of whether or not my work makes money isn't that relevant to me: either way, I feel guilty if I go for very long without making solid progress. If days go by without me writing as much as I'd like to, I feel guilty. I feel like I've betrayed myself.

So I am very sympathetic to Nick's perspective. I wish I could be like Nick or SimonDoom; I wish I could get into the bricklayer's mindset. I also strongly believe that you cannot only write when you are inspired or motivated. A problem I run into is that if I am extremely unmotivated for the current scene/moment in my novel, that motivation is almost never tied to my mood. It is tied to the scene itself. I can't sleep on it and be motivated later: I need to rework the scene until it's on a trajectory that inspires me. I could wait a month, but I still wouldn't feel like writing that scene. I have to do the groundwork.

In that regard, discipline has to precede inspiration.

But there is a distinction to be made here between forcing yourself to actually write, and forcing yourself to be a writer. I don't think you should sit down and force yourself to put words onto your manuscript like bricks. As others have said, that will be torturous and your lack of enthusiasm will probably shine through.

But I do think you should force yourself to be a writer. That means looking for the inspiration. I read through my manuscript and all my notes, pen in hand. I brainstorm in a notebook. I read my favourite authors. This takes less effort than writing prose into my story, but it lets me be absorbed in my story, reworking things until I am raring to go.

I'd also add that I am currently in a situation where I want to take my writing more seriously. I have a year ahead of me with very little responsibility or financial burden, and I really want to use it to write. This might be a fool's errand. It will almost certainly stress me out over the year. In any case, it probably contributes to me wanting to force myself to write more than others.

Read this just now and felt it was necessary to share, to expand the reach of this message. If you're interested in joining this newsletter, look up Nick Cave's "Red Hand Files" and subscribe. Highly recommend. He's a supremely talented writer.

Not saying that I totally agree with this message. I rely on inspiration. But I've always appreciated the concept of a writer being a worker. Cave once said that he puts on his suit and goes to work, meaning he goes to his room and writes. I've come to respect writers who treat writing as a job. Tarantino made a similar comment about how he writes in traditional hours like it's a job.

Having said that, treating writing like a job is what makes it more fun. It feels like the stakes are higher. That it's more work, but more reward. If writing is treated solely based on muse and inspiration, then there will be less, and it will mean less, and it'll come and go.

My muses have left me and I have lost all motivation to create as a film and music maker. Have you ever felt alien to yourself and your identity as an artist?

TAM, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA​

Every time I set foot in my studio, intentions blazing, I crumble with pathetic and flaccid paralysis. Do it, paint. No. Fuck. Why not? I can’t get my brain right in that space anymore, and I thought my whole life was going to be devoted to my art. I don’t know how to reconnect or reconcile making art in a world made of war and cruelty, how would painting a fucking picture ever help. How do you create in this environment?

DAN, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA​

Dear Tam and Dan,
What makes our particular job so exceptional that it requires inspiration or a muse to do it? We are artists and we labour in the service of others. It is not something we do only if and when we feel motivated – we create because it is our responsibility to do so. In this respect our occupation is no different than that of most people. Does an ordinary adult go to work only if they feel in the mood? Do doctors? Do labourers? Do teachers? Do taxi drivers? We are duty-bound to do our job, like everyone else, because the space we occupy depends upon our participation and breaks down if we don’t. A committed artist cannot afford the luxury of revelation. Inspiration is the indolent indulgence of the dabbler. Muses, Tam, are for losers!

The idea that you can’t paint because the world is 'made of war and cruelty' has to be the lamest and most faint-hearted excuse not to work I have ever heard, Dan. How will painting a fucking picture help? — it will help because art is the noble and necessary rejoinder to the sins of the world. When the world rushes toward us with all its streaming wounds – wanting, needing – do we cover our eyes and shrink away, do we sit and wring our hands in despair, do we run and hide, or do we hasten toward it, like we hasten toward an injured child, with our arms outstretched?

If we are to call ourselves artists then we must avoid the myriad excuses that present themselves and do our job. Yes, the world is sick, and yes it can be cruel, but it would be a whole lot sicker and a whole lot crueler if it were not for painters and filmmakers and songwriters – the beauty-makers – wading through the blood and muck of things, whilst reaching skyward to draw down the very heavens themselves.

These are perilous and urgent times. This is not the hour to sit around moaning about the condition of the world — leave that to the posturing inhabitants of that most morbidly neurotic of spaces, social media — and nor is it the moment to fruitlessly wait for inspiration to find us. It’s time to get to work, to reach up and tear the divine idea from its heavenly cradle and proffer it to the world. Create, Tam! Create, Dan! Create like your life depends on it, because, of course, of course, it does!

Love, Nick
Bravo.

I think this is another one of those threads where the most "helpful" advice lies between two extremes. I think Cave is stating things in very strong terms in part to get his point across more colorfully, and because the two examples he cites are themselves somewhat extreme examples of a particular sort of attitude.

Most of us are hobbyist writers, so we're not under the same obligation to write that we are to do our day to day jobs. Inspiration plays a role in creative activity. But for me, personally (maybe not for everyone), what Cave says resonates. While inspiration is important, I don't think it's helpful to sit around waiting for inspiration to strike. I think the more you write, the more ideas come to you, and the more inspiration you have. So there's a balance. The two comments to which Cave responded strike me as good examples of what I think of as an unhelpful "I'm an artist and I'm special, and now I don't feel special and can't do art" attitude. It's an attitude that makes me roll my eyes and think, "Get over yourself." Even if it's just your hobby, you won't maximize your achievement by waiting for inspiration or trying to feel whole in your artist-ness. Sit down at the keyboard and play the piano. Or write your story.

One has to be careful with this. I've come to regard myself as fortunate to write (not only prose but also music) with complete freedom because I don't have any commissions nor deadlines, nor executives looking over my shoulder - no editors nor producers picking my stuff apart or changing it. I know people in my life who have taken that 'wonderful advice' that we are told when we are young: get a job in a field that you love so you can get paid to do what you love. Most of the time this does not work out very well.

Yeah. I'm lucky enough to have a day job that I enjoy and a side job which is pretty decent too. I like the people I work with, I'm doing interesting and meaningful work without too much organisational bullshit. But even a good job still takes a certain kind of energy that I need to recharge elsewhere. I don't need writing to turn into a third job.

Last couple of years I've needed to take time out from writing because there was RL stuff that needed dealing with, and it's been important to be able to do that without feeling guilty.

While inspiration is important, I don't think it's helpful to sit around waiting for inspiration to strike. I think the more you write, the more ideas come to you, and the more inspiration you have.
Exactly. Nick Cave has illustrated his point in less fiery terms, too:
In my experience, inspiration is not something that finds you, or offers itself to you, nor for that matter is faith. Inspiration and faith are similar in so far as they both ask something of us. They each require real and constant practical application. For me, inspiration comes only when I practice certain things regularly and rigorously. I must commit fully to the task in hand, sit down each day, pick up my pencil (actually it is a medium black or blue Bic Biro) and get to work. It is not exactly toiling down the coal mines, but it is labour enough, and I undertake it through the good times and the bad, through the dry periods and the periods of abundance, and I keep on going regardless of my successes or failures. Inspiration comes because I put in the work.

But even a good job still takes a certain kind of energy that I need to recharge elsewhere. I don't need writing to turn into a third job.

Exactly. An artist has to put the effort into the craft, but it shouldn't feel like a chore. If it does, you're (probably) doing it wrong. It's work. You will sweat at times. It will wring you out mentally emotionally and physically. But it feels so good, so satisfying to get it all down and get it right. You're one step closer to being able to relax on your deathbed because you accomplished something that you wanted to accomplish and there's an immense joy in that.

This is why I have actually come to prefer a day job that has fucking nothing to do whatsoever with my creativity. I can get into work mode, kick ass for 8 hours, take my pay and go home and be creative, and when I get so comfortable in that job that I can do much of it in my sleep, I can even be brainstorming while I work. My creativity is all mine and I call all of the shots and I take the ideas home and slip more easily into art mode.

If I were writing paid commissions for a magazine with regular deadlines and stipulations for content I would start hating writing. If I were writing jingles fit to specific briefs for corporate ads I would start hating music. I just know that I would.

Last time I looked, he's got a fair following, pulls the crowds at gigs, sells records, sells books, is asked to work with many musicians and film directors. He's got at least half a clue. But if you don't like what he does, that's fine.

He's hurt a LOT of people and been responsible for a lot of tragedy and pain to other people along the way

Last edited:
If you are writing as a hobby on top of a full-time job, then there are times when you have to say, actually for my own well-being I'm going to do another, less mentally demanding hobby tonight. It's easy to get burned out by writing too much.

If you are writing to become a professional artist, then you need to put the hours in, and if you don't have enough inspiration to push you forward into creating something (anything) at least some of the time, that's probably a sign that you're not driven enough.

By the time you get to Nick Cave's level, you can probably work or not work according to your own whim, and there are certainly artists his age who are coasting on one tepid album a decade. (Or, like Billy Joel just come out and say that the audience doesn't want me to play any new songs so why even bother). But you still have a lot of artist who keep the original drive and work-ethic from stage one above and able to keep churning out worthwhile new stuff. (Memo to self, check out what Cave has been up to recently)

Back