The Long Road Home (closed)

"I know," he whispered. "But I had to see you again, and tell you I love you still, no matter what. Come inside, just for a little while." Stephen lifted his head to meet her eyes. "Your mother isn't doing well, darling..."
 
Sarah pulled back and looked at her father as he told her that her mother wasn't well. She wondered if it had to do with what she had done in Scotland.

"What's wrong with her?" She asked him softly, her heart readying to break if she was indeed the cause of her mother's heartache.
 
"She's very ill I'm not sure what with, she has been for some time, since just after you left with Annie... but it got much worse two days ago." Stephen took her hands. "Please come see her..." He didn't have to say it for her to know that he thought he was going to lose his wife.
 
Sarah nodded, taking her father's hand and giving it a squeeze as he led the way to her mother. Their room was dark, candles lighting the room as she made her way towards her bed and took a seat next to her and took her mother's hand.

"Mummy?" She whispered softly. "I'm home."
 
"Sarah...?" Jessie asked softly, lifting her head a moment to see her daughter. She couldn't hold her head up for long, though Sarah could see she tried. She let her head rest against the pillow finally bringing Sarah's hand up to kiss it. "My sweet little princess..." she spoke weakly. "I was so afraid I'd never see you again."
 
Sarah leaned down and pressed her forehead against her mother's, taking in the weak appearance. She blew out a little sigh and knew that her mother was in a bad way.

"Tell me what's wrong, mummy."
 
"I don't know what's the matter with me... but I know my grandmother passed away of a similar illness." Jessie sighed quietly. "But I'm glad you're here, darling... you're not staying, are you, though?"
 
"I cant stay, Mummy." Sarah said softly, but she was sure that her mother already knew that. "I want to...but it's too dangerous."

She was quiet for a long moment, her fingers gently stroking her mother's hand as she thought about what this illness might mean for their family. "You won't die, mummy. You're much too strong for that."

She wrapped her mother in a tight hug, tears stinging her eyes as she allowed herself a moment of weakness that she hadn't felt in so long. "If you do see Cassie again, would you tell her that I forgive her?"
 
"If I don't see her sooner, I'll see her later," Jessie said with a smile. "I'll tell her, darling." She weakly wrapped her arms around her only child left and sighed in contentment. She'd been so afraid that she would have to bury Sarah too after all the trouble.
 
"I'll stay as long as I can, mummy." Sarah promised, feeling the way that her mother hugged her so tightly. "As long as you and Da will let me stay."
 
"You know we'd have you stay forever... but I know you can't for your own safety." Jessie sighed quietly and closed her eyes, feeling tears well up at the thought that her daughter was leaving home for good soon."
 
Sarah grew quiet for a moment as her mother held her tightly. She could feel her mother didn't want to let her go. With a deep sigh, she pulled herself back far enough to look into her mother's eyes.

"Then I'll stay forever." She murmured, changing her mind just like that. "For you, I'll stay."
 
"But it's not safe, honey..." Jessie reminded her fearfully, trying to sit up. She simply couldn't, she was too weak and Sarah could see that she was slowly slipping away. Only a healer such as Vincenzo could help her, if at all.
 
"I don't care, Mummy. I'm staying." She said softly, helping her mother to lie back down, her hand never leaving her the entire time.

She sat like that for a long time, simply watching as her mother drifted back to sleep. She couldn't let herself weep. She felt as if she had led her mother to this. She was the reason that her mother was dying and that thought saddened her immensely.

She looked towards the door as her father entered and she couldn't bear the look on his face. Turning back to her mother, she gently smoothed her blonde hair back behind her ear before she let out a sigh.

"Send Shia for Vincenzo. He doesn't need to know that I'm here and I'll be as discrete as possible. Mummy needs me here."
 
Stephen nodded, "I know Vincenzo wouldn't tell anyone you're here anyhow." He stepped out again, and now Ian came in, hoping he might be some comfort to Sarah.

He came to her side and offered a smile. "E'en when yer Ma's not feelin' 'er best, she still looks graceful as can be." He hoped it might help a small bit.
 
Sarah looked up at Ian, trying to figure out just what he wanted from her. "I'm glad that you're here, Ian, but you don't need to try and make me feel better. I know she's dying."
 
"Nothin' says she's dyin'," Ian encouraged. "Jus' ill. She'll make it yet." He laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. He didn't want anything, only her happiness if he could deliver it. He was still in love, that much was clear, but he didn't pursue it.
 
Sarah let out a little sigh at the feel of Ian's hand on her shoulder. He was trying to make her feel better, to take away the ache and hurt that was in her soul, but she didn't know if that was even possible. There wasn't a man in the world that would take away the hatred that she had for herself, which is why she pushed away everyone around her. She wanted to feel that hurt for all the bad things she'd done in her life. It was her punishment...
 
Ian seemed to know how dark her thoughts were, and instead of leaving her alone to deal with all these problems on her own, he didn't go away. No, instead, he wrapped his arms around her from his position behind her, embracing her gently and offering his own strength and support to her. He was prepared to be told off, to be pushed away, but he just wanted her to know that he was there for her.
 
Sarah found it strange that Ian wrapped his arms around her shoulders, holding her tight as she sat at her mother's bedside. She let out a long sigh, her body going rigid for a moment before she relax back into the familiar embrace of a man that she had once loved so much.
 
Ian soon let her go, but he kept near. It was two weeks before Vincenzo arrived. In that time, most of the town had found out Sarah was there. Most didn't like it, a few made protests, and a couple dared to call their Lord daft for allowing the dangerous woman back into Monaghan, even Ireland as a whole. Stephen regarded none of them. Yet.

It was the day of Vincenzo's arrival- he didn't seemed concerned with Sarah's presence- that another guest arrived. It was King Bernard MacHale, the recognized ruler of Ireland, and he was there to find Sarah and remove Stephen from his position.
 
Last edited:
Sarah had heard the news that McHale had arrived to confront her father, but she knew that it would be best if she met with him before that. She dressed in her best gown, one that was demure yet still feminine. It was as green as the shamrocks that grew outside and showed just how proud she was of her heritage. She wore no jewelry and made no airs as she entered the king's chambers, waiting for him to accept her into his presences.
 
MacHale rose to face her with a dark frown. "Miss Monaghan," he grunted. He was a tough old man, though she'd once known him as a dear friend and an Uncle, Jessie being the youngest of his siblings. He was so cold now that it was as if he'd never loved her as he'd once told her when he came to visit her because she was the daughter he never had. MacHale had lost all four of his sons to war and hardship, and his wife to heartbreak. And now he felt he'd lost his dear Sarah. "You're riskin' a fair bit in comin' to me alone, even comin' t'me at all."
 
Last edited:
"My king." She said with due respect, dipping into a low curtsy before him before she rose yet again and regarded the man that she'd known so well.

"I have come to talk to you on my own behalf. You deserve the truth from my own lips...not from someone else." She said simply.
 
"Don't make this any harder for me than it already is, Sarah love..." he half-whispered. As a younger man, he'd been muscled and made for battle, with deep red hair and a fine beard. Now he'd gone grey and he was getting thin. He still wore his armor to show his position, but it only fit thanks to layers beneath that kept the chill away. His once-rich green eyes were dull teal now.
 
Back
Top