English accents?

Do you know...I vigorously debated myself over the question of strawberries v. raspberries. No, really. And, more obviously, the question of cognac v. merlot. I'm odd that way: Sometimes caught up in the intricate details that others might care less about. Raspberries are my preference, as well. I could even hear the sweet tasty sound of "raspberries" rolling from the sonorous English tongue.

But, being the caring, sharing woman I am, I decided that perhaps more women statistically prefer and eat strawberries and would, thus, enjoy that food item over the other. Ergo my decision to sacrifice my raspberries for someone else's strawberries. I should have gone for the gold and listed both, but I didn't wish to appear greedy. ;)

I've always felt raspberries are much nicer, and a more interesting sounding word as well.

Good grief! I cannot believe I actually listened to that. :rolleyes: LOLOL The things I subject myself to in the name of curiosity and fun. Thank you, Matt. **giggle**

'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English)

Do you know...I vigorously debated myself over the question of strawberries v. raspberries. No, really. And, more obviously, the question of cognac v. merlot. I'm odd that way: Sometimes caught up in the intricate details that others might care less about. Raspberries are my preference, as well. I could even hear the sweet tasty sound of "raspberries" rolling from the sonorous English tongue.

But, being the caring, sharing woman I am, I decided that perhaps more women statistically prefer and eat strawberries and would, thus, enjoy that food item over the other. Ergo my decision to sacrifice my raspberries for someone else's strawberries. I should have gone for the gold and listed both, but I didn't wish to appear greedy. ;)

Well, it is fabulous that you are willing to sacrifice your own pleasures for the greater good.

The only question left is how do you role your r's?

Our accents very much vary according to where we come from. Hit me back if you'd like to hear my voice. :D:D

A list of English accents according to wiki. I'm RP, as anybody who listed to the shopping list in the thread above will know.

Northern
Cheshire
Cumbrian (Cumbria including Barrovian in Barrow-in-Furness)
Geordie (Tyneside)
Lancastrian (Lancashire)
Mackem (Sunderland)
Mancunian (Manchester)
Northumbrian (rural Northumberland)
Pitmatic (Durham and Northumberland)
Scouse (Liverpool)
Smoggie (Teesside)
Yorkshire (also known as Broad Yorkshire)
East Midlands
West Midlands
Black Country
Brummie (Birmingham)
Potteries (north Staffordshire)
Telford (east Shropshire)
East Anglian
Norfolk
Suffolk
Southern
Received Pronunciation
Cockney (working-class London and surrounding areas)
Essaxon (Essex)
Estuary (Thames Estuary)
Kentish (Kent)
Multicultural London (Inner London)
Sussex
West Country
Anglo-Cornish
Bristolian

Yawkshaw!

Had a girlfriend who loved my mum's accent. Thought it sounded so 'posh'. Had to explain to her that my mum was a fisherman's daughter from Hull. or 'ull as it is said back 'ome. And that it was about the least 'posh' accent you could get.

The only time a working class accented English person say the letter 'H" is when saying the letter "Haitch". Those of us with nasal Yankee accents say 'aitch' when saying the letter 'H".

Is RP a native accent for some region or do you or your parents have to learn it? Only part of my accent I retain is subdued a 't' at times.

A list of English accents according to wiki. I'm RP, as anybody who listed to the shopping list in the thread above will know.

Northern
Cheshire
Geordie (Tyneside)
Lancastrian (Lancashire)
Mackem (Sunderland)
Mancunian (Manchester)
Scouse (Liverpool)
Smoggie (Teesside)
East Midlands
West Midlands
Black Country
Brummie (Birmingham)
East Anglian
Norfolk
Suffolk
Southern
Received Pronunciation
Essaxon (Essex)
Estuary (Thames Estuary)
Kentish (Kent)
Sussex
West Country
Anglo-Cornish
Bristolian

Thanks for putting Brummie and Black Country as distinct and different accents.:D:D

Yawkshaw!

Had a girlfriend who loved my mum's accent. Thought it sounded so 'posh'. Had to explain to her that my mum was a fisherman's daughter from Hull. or 'ull as it is said back 'ome. And that it was about the least 'posh' accent you could get.

The only time a working class accented English person say the letter 'H" is when saying the letter "Haitch". Those of us with nasal Yankee accents say 'aitch' when saying the letter 'H".

Is RP a native accent for some region or do you or your parents have to learn it? Only part of my accent I retain is subdued a 't' at times.

Think it varies more than that I think, dropping the H is common in cockney (and clearly Hull as well) but not universally working class. Don't think it is a feature of west country accents for example.

I might be wrong about that.

Very interesting and educational. You did say education is your occupation, yes?

Northern
Cheshire
Geordie (Tyneside)
Lancastrian (Lancashire)
Mackem (Sunderland)
Mancunian (Manchester)
Scouse (Liverpool)
Smoggie (Teesside)
East Midlands
West Midlands
Black Country
Brummie (Birmingham)
East Anglian
Norfolk
Suffolk
Southern
Received Pronunciation
Essaxon (Essex)
Estuary (Thames Estuary)
Kentish (Kent)
Sussex
West Country
Anglo-Cornish
Bristolian

Very interesting and educational. You did say education is your occupation, yes?

I am indeed. Picture me as Jack Black in School of Rock, or Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society, or Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr Chips.

It wont be accurate but it might momentarily amuse.

[lips quirking] Three interesting images, to be sure.

I am indeed. Picture me as Jack Black in School of Rock, or Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society, or Robert Donat in Goodbye, Mr Chips.

It wont be accurate but it might momentarily amuse.

Very nice, Matt. :)

Especially the 'butter'. Now, if you could just say 'pleasure' over and over, I'm sure you would get more PMs. ;)

Thank you.

Although, I've listened back to it and I can't see anything particularly interesting/exciting/unusual about how I say 'butter'... what am I missing?

Pleasure... how many times and is that an actual request?

There's a GWA challenge like that Elizabeth... You just need to nudge him in the right direction...

I may be out of touch here, but not sure what GWA means...

Gingers With Attitude?
Great Welsh Airlines?
Good With Aubergines?
Giant Wide Ass?

Thank you.

Although, I've listened back to it and I can't see anything particularly interesting/exciting/unusual about how I say 'butter'... what am I missing?

Pleasure... how many times and is that an actual request?

It's words that end in an 'r' sound that do it. They just sound incredibly sexy.

No request, just a note from a personal experience. ;) It made me melt, perhaps you would also get lucky with it. :rose:

Okay, yes, I've been drinking. It is the fourth after all. I hope that was coherent. :eek:

Back