so-called spelling errors

K

kpkp555

Guest
Hey guys, I just signed up and have submitted several stories. Excited to be a part of the site.

What to do about squiggly lines under words that are not misspelled? Such as "kinesiology", "diffuser", and "teepee"? TIA!!!
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, I just signed up and have submitted several stories. Excited to be a part of the site.

What to do about squiggly lines under words that are not misspelled? Such as "kinesiology", "diffuser", and "teepee"? TIA!!!

Those come from either your browser or your word-processor, depending on how you're submitting your stories.

Either way, they have no effect on the submission process. But whatever browser or WP you're using should have an option to disable spellcheck and/or add new words to its dictionary. For example, "kinesiology" and "diffuser" get redlined in my browser but I can right-click on them and get the option to add them.

Stories may get rejected for bad spelling, but that's based on a moderator's reading and not on what your browser/WP flags.
 
My issue is that I already had two stories rejected for "spelling errors". The rules say your story will only be rejected for this reason if there are lots of spelling errors that detract from the story. In one of my stories I accidentally added an extra letter into one word, and they rejected it! I just submitted a story with the words "diffuser"and "kinesiology". These are real words, found in the dictionary, so we shall wait and see if this one comes back rejected for, again, "spelling errors". This is just exhausting. And I have had to take out moans like "mmmmmmmm" and "ahhhhhhhhhh" so that my story is not rejected for "spelling errors". A bit ridic.
 
Just an adive for the future. The reader doesn't need to see "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" to understand it was a moan.

"Mmm" "Ah!" - those short variants are much more expressive and easy to read. You should stick with those, and if you really need the moan to be special - add an attribution text to describe how exactly it sounded.
 
Just an adive for the future. The reader doesn't need to see "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" to understand it was a moan.

"Mmm" "Ah!" - those short variants are much more expressive and easy to read. You should stick with those, and if you really need the moan to be special - add an attribution text to describe how exactly it sounded.

I tried that, but the squiggly lines did not go away, so I assumed my story would be nixed for...wait for it..."spelling errors".
 
The other responders are right in that the squiggly lines aren't associated with the Literotica submissions process. Go ahead and submit what you have; the spelling likely won't lead to rejection.

Your system probably has two different colors of squiggly lines--red and blue. Red questions the spelling; blue questions the use in that context. It's true that neither is always right. Computer spellcheck has limitations. Incidentally, "teepee" is a variant spelling of the more accepted "tepee," which is probably why that was questioned. Although "teepee" is in Webster's, it's not the preferred way to spell that word (and that's what it's telling you by saying it's a variant of "tepee").
 
It's also worth nothing that depending on your word processor, it may be underlining very different things, and even mark perfectly normal sentences as errors. It will also get past some real mistakes without noticing them.

If you got rejected by literotica for spelling errors - we can help you only after seeing your actual text. Find an editor if you have this problem.
 
Have you found an editor?

One way to get around electronic checkers is to have a human read your stories and offer feedback prior to publishing/posting. I have years of experience as an editor and would be happy to help out if you choose to go that direction.


Belle
 
Spellcheck only tells you if the word you used is spelled correctly, not if it is the correct word. To help with this problem I advise authors to print out a hard copy of their story then read it slowly. I have seen so many words that are spelled correctly but they were not the word the author meant to use.
 
Back
Top