The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Dammit, dammit, dammit. In the last ten days I've seen news of two high school classmates succumbing to cancer. I wasn't close to either one much after high school, but every one of these losses chips away at one's sense of mortality.

That is so true... I'm sorry to hear about your classmates. I'm at a similar place where it's happening more and more to people I know, and it's depressing and also... challenging to me in ways I had not anticipated.

:rose:

That is so true... I'm sorry to hear about your classmates. I'm at a similar place where it's happening more and more to people I know, and it's depressing and also... challenging to me in ways I had not anticipated.

:rose:

I've gotten a bit leary about opening up Facebook lately. I guess as long as it's not me they're talking about, right?

Dammit, dammit, dammit. In the last ten days I've seen news of two high school classmates succumbing to cancer. I wasn't close to either one much after high school, but every one of these losses chips away at one's sense of mortality. Fuck you, cancer, you slimy-snotted, ball-less, worthless cur.

I'm sorry you have had this hit close to home MWY! As a cancer survivor, I was shaken to my core when I was diagnosed about 18months ago, and I do mean, to my very CORE! I've been lucky, and there a not a day that I don't try and remind myself of that! I've lost a mother, father, and uncle to various forms of this dreaded disease!!!
I'm convinced, rightly or wrongly, that Cancer will not be cured by medical science once because there's more money in it continuing, than in its cure! Big Business isn't stupid!

I'm sorry you have had this hit close to home MWY! As a cancer survivor, I was shaken to my core when I was diagnosed about 18months ago, and I do mean, to my very CORE! I've been lucky, and there a not a day that I don't try and remind myself of that! I've lost a mother, father, and uncle to various forms of this dreaded disease!!!
I'm convinced, rightly or wrongly, that Cancer will not be cured by medical science once because there's more money in it continuing, than in its cure! Big Business isn't stupid!

Glad to hear that you're still here after having battled. Winning feels pretty good, doesn't it?

I follow a few cancer-related discussion boards and get a few newsletters about work on cures and treatments. There's a ton of work being done on genetics-related treatments that would make chemotherapy look like letting blood or using leeches. I know it seems as if Big Pharma is the devil - and in some ways they really can be unscrupulous, I understand - but science is still making headway on this and a good bit of the research is in ways to prevent cancer from happening when people might be at risk.

Lack of energy to do much. Hair loss has increased. My side effects usually last 3 to 4 days, which isn't too bad

The hair loss can suck, though I understand that it can grow back after treatment. Oddly, when it grows back in it might be a little different - more or less curly is common, for example. The lack of energy is almost universal with chemo. That stuff just kicks your ass and the only thing you can do is get more sleep. At the height of mine I was sleeping as much as 15 hours per day.

The hair loss can suck, though I understand that it can grow back after treatment. Oddly, when it grows back in it might be a little different - more or less curly is common, for example. The lack of energy is almost universal with chemo. That stuff just kicks your ass and the only thing you can do is get more sleep. At the height of mine I was sleeping as much as 15 hours per day.

Yeah, the nurses were telling me that it might come back different. I got a short cut so it evened out. I was happy when I was just losing body hair, but eventually the head joined in :)

Yeah, the nurses were telling me that it might come back different. I got a short cut so it evened out. I was happy when I was just losing body hair, but eventually the head joined in :)

My mother had grey hair when she lost it during chemo.
When it first grew back it was like fluffy baby hair. After that it came back much like it was before exept not gray, so don't freak out if you get your baby look back first.

My mother had grey hair when she lost it during chemo.
When it first grew back it was like fluffy baby hair. After that it came back much like it was before exept not gray, so don't freak out if you get your baby look back first.

Oh, that might freak me out at first :)

I follow a few cancer-related discussion boards and get a few newsletters about work on cures and treatments. There's a ton of work being done on genetics-related treatments that would make chemotherapy look like letting blood or using leeches. I know it seems as if Big Pharma is the devil - and in some ways they really can be unscrupulous, I understand - but science is still making headway on this and a good bit of the research is in ways to prevent cancer from happening when people might be at risk.

Uh-huh. Last year I met a researcher who spent almost twenty years working to identify the cause of the cancer cluster that hit my family. Good people, not in it for the money.

After two surgeries-one here in RI and one in December at the NIH- my wife is now free of kidney cancer and still has close to 80% of each kidney remaining.

A far cry from the original diagnosis that the left one would have to be removed completely. A total of 14-not a typo-tumors removed from them....

we were fortunate, many doctors would have had her on dialysis...

Her sister died of cancer 7 years ago, her father last year....but in my wife's case

We can say Fuck you cancer!

Oh man, Lovecraft, that's great.

So great. Thanks for the information.

Congrats to you both, and a major FYC.

Lack of energy to do much. Hair loss has increased. My side effects usually last 3 to 4 days, which isn't too bad

I had similar effects from my chemo almost 18 years ago, though surprisingly I didn't lose my hair. The lack of energy and almost constant nausea, without any vomiting, was horrible. The effects lasted almost 6 days, so by the time I was feeling better, it was time for the treatment again. :mad: This went on for a year.

I wish you luck getting through this!

Oh, and FUCK YOU, CANCER!

After two surgeries-one here in RI and one in December at the NIH- my wife is now free of kidney cancer and still has close to 80% of each kidney remaining.

A far cry from the original diagnosis that the left one would have to be removed completely. A total of 14-not a typo-tumors removed from them....

we were fortunate, many doctors would have had her on dialysis...

Her sister died of cancer 7 years ago, her father last year....but in my wife's case

We can say Fuck you cancer!

It's pretty amazing what the top cancer teams can do these days. This is great news that your wife is now NED. Thanks for sharing this with us.

I had similar effects from my chemo almost 18 years ago, though surprisingly I didn't lose my hair. The lack of energy and almost constant nausea, without any vomiting, was horrible. The effects lasted almost 6 days, so by the time I was feeling better, it was time for the treatment again. :mad: This went on for a year.

Thanks for stopping by with your story. It's great to hear from long-tie survivors.

Thanks for stopping by with your story. It's great to hear from long-tie survivors.

You're welcome and thank you. I consider myself very lucky that it hasn't come back. I had colon cancer at 26, with no warning. I went into the hospital with an extremely high fever and abdominal pains. I was rushed to surgery for an appendectomy and when I came out three hours later, I was told I had cancer. No family history and the doctors were stumped as to how it happened. It was very unusual for someone my age. I had a third of my large intestine removed.

I learned from then on that each day is a gift, no matter how crappy it is. ;)

You're welcome and thank you. I consider myself very lucky that it hasn't come back. I had colon cancer at 26, with no warning. I went into the hospital with an extremely high fever and abdominal pains. I was rushed to surgery for an appendectomy and when I came out three hours later, I was told I had cancer. No family history and the doctors were stumped as to how it happened. It was very unusual for someone my age. I had a third of my large intestine removed.

I learned from then on that each day is a gift, no matter how crappy it is. ;)

That's pretty remarkable. I got my colon cancer at 62 the old fashioned way: a lifetime of cheeseburgers and 20 years of genetic fuckups. I'm now NED after a year of surgery and chemo.

Wow, luckily the nausea isn't bad. Thank you

Back