Helping trans relative

temp256

Literotica Guru
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Posts
548
A relative of mine is trans, and needs help. She's about 13 years old, and eager for hormones. Unfortunately, her parents are not great people. They're very resistant, mostly for very stupid reasons.

She's not very good at keeping track of everything which is going on, but part of the problem seems to be the doctor prescribed what I think is an unusual drug: leuprorelin (lupron). It's about $1000 a month, which her family can't afford. Why she's on this instead of spironolactone, I don't know. Is anyone familiar with this drug in relation to transwomen? I haven't found much info.

I'd like to go with her to the doctor, but I'm not nearby. How can I help?
 
Short of monetary support wired over, or mailed by check, the biggest thing she needs is support and understanding. People to talk to. I know that's not a helpful answer, but that kind of thing sustains you when other things feel like they're falling apart.

Note: I'm drawing this advice from my own experiences of being far from my support network after suffering PTSD. Talking helped keep me sane, and sanity helped me find solutions.
 
Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm not a pharmacist; I have a small amount of pharma training but it was a long time ago, and there was no trans-specific content.

She's not very good at keeping track of everything which is going on, but part of the problem seems to be the doctor prescribed what I think is an unusual drug: leuprorelin (lupron). It's about $1000 a month, which her family can't afford. Why she's on this instead of spironolactone, I don't know. Is anyone familiar with this drug in relation to transwomen? I haven't found much info.

Some discussion here says that lupron gives better outcomes than spironolactone for adolescents. It may also be because lupron is considered a puberty blocker.

You probably know this stuff, but for the onlookers: a trans girl ("assigned male at birth") who doesn't receive medical intervention before adolescence will go through male puberty, with consequences like deepening voice, masculine facial features etc. That has serious consequences in later life - trans women who are easily identified as trans have greater risk of discrimination/violence/etc.

On the other hand, some people don't believe children are capable of knowing for sure whether they're trans. (And, yeah, some people don't figure out their gender identity until long after their teens... but even with kids who are absolutely certain, parents/doctors/etc. may not be certain.)

Blockers give a way to bypass that argument by delaying the onset of puberty until the kid reaches adulthood, and then has more legal rights to decide for themselves whether they want to proceed with transition, or stop the blockers and undergo male puberty after all.

That said, a drug you can't afford isn't going to be very effective. Importing might be an option but that also has risks, and I'm not a good person to advise on that option. Probably an idea to talk to the doctor about alternatives, or look for another doctor who's willing to prescribe something affordable.

I'd like to go with her to the doctor, but I'm not nearby. How can I help?

As AwkwardMD suggested, the main thing I can think of is to be a contact. Just by existing as a trans adult you're giving her some validation and reassurance that her identity is valid.
 
Back
Top