Get rid of a headache

cookiecat

Literotica Guru
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Posts
22,045
I rarely get a headache. When I do, aspirin works. Not this time. 2 days into a vise-like headache that won't quit.

I've done the usual. I feel fine other than the demons dancing in my brain. Any suggestions to get them to stop?!
 
I rarely get a headache. When I do, aspirin works. Not this time. 2 days into a vise-like headache that won't quit.

I've done the usual. I feel fine other than the demons dancing in my brain. Any suggestions to get them to stop?!

Make sure you're hydrated. I doubt this is the reason but it couldn't hurt. Have you been stressed out recently? Maybe try massaging your temples or get someone to give you a shoulder/neck rub.
 
I rarely get a headache. When I do, aspirin works. Not this time. 2 days into a vise-like headache that won't quit.

I've done the usual. I feel fine other than the demons dancing in my brain. Any suggestions to get them to stop?!
If you're totally against seeing a doctor -- which you really should do rather than ask medical advice on a n internet forum -- the possibilities are sinus or migraine.

Effective migraine relief is usually prescription so you need to see a doctor.

Sinus Headache/Sinus Infection can often be relieved by a decongestant like Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine HCL, not "Sudafed PE") or an antihistamine like Benadryl, Chlortrimeton, or Claritin (or several other OTC "Allergy Relief" brands.

Ibuprofen (Motrin(tm)) might work where Aspirin won't. Personally, I'm partial to Excedrin Extra Strength (or generic equivalent) because it works best for the kind of headaches/general aches and pains.) The addition of Tylenol and caffeine to Aspirin seems to make all of the ingredients more effective.

Bottom line is that you should see a doctor because a sudden, long lasting headache is often the sign of a more serious condition.
 
Whaaaaat? I thought it was true if I read it here, on the internet. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am wise enough to see a doc.

Just thought I'd check if anyone had a nifty home remedy like, you know, rub mayonnaise or cum on my temples while I hum Sweet Caroline.
 
Whaaaaat? I thought it was true if I read it here, on the internet. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am wise enough to see a doc.

Just thought I'd check if anyone had a nifty home remedy like, you know, rub mayonnaise or cum on my temples while I hum Sweet Caroline.

No mayo or cum that I'm aware of. Although, in the case of the latter... Never mind.

But, have you tried Peppermint Oil?

I agree whole-heartedly with Weird Harold's final statement, that a sudden headache that has lasted for more than 48 hours is definitely reason to see one of those jerks wearing white coats when they get back north from the winter.

But, in the meantime, in addition to a good hot shower, hydrating, and trying to relax your neck and shoulders, I'd try putting some Peppermint Oil in your hair. If you don't have ready access to Peppermint Oil (which can be picked up at most health food stores), I've known of people using a wash rag soaked in apple cider vinegar across their face.

You could also try applying some cayenne pepper to the insides your nostrils.

Or perhaps chewing some feverfew along with a handful of almonds and gingerroot.

Simple chocolate might help some.

Hold (don't bite or clench) a pencil between your molars.

But, yeah. At 48 hours with a sudden onset headache which I can't identify the trigger of, I think even I with my hate/hate relationship with medical professionals would go see one. I only recommended the above as a stopgap while you wait for them to deign to make time for you.

If you have any bleeding from the nose, ears, or eyes, don't fucking wait. Get your ass to the ER yesterday.

Take care, CookieCat. You've got some of us worried now.

Oh, and I would just mention that the wife developed an allergy to MSG (which can also masquerade as "Natural Flavors" and a couple of other names) later in life which would trigger migraines. Just sayin'.
 
Last edited:
No bleeding from orifices, so that's a good sign, right?

I'll get my big butt to doc if the intensity persists past today. In the meantime, I'm thinking looking at tiny letters on my phone isn't helping. I do have apple cider vinegar. And lemons. I'm in for those.

Thanks for suggestions and concern.

:rose:
 
My experience

I am known to get migraines, from time to time. Often, the cause is a nutritional deficiency, or the deficiency is there, and it makes it easier to trigger the headache.

First and foremost, Magnesium deficiency is fairly common. It is so drilled into our heads that we need plenty of calcium, but rarely is it mentioned that in order to use Calcium you have to have adequate Magnesium, to process it. What happens when magnesium runs low?

Common:
Headaches; poor digestion; constipation; muscle spasms and cramps; heart palpitations; poor sleep due to restless leg syndrome, fatigue, insomnia, confusion, poor memory;

In extreme cases: bone spurs, kidney stones, and calcium deposits in other places, due to inability to process Calcium); delirium; hallucinations (visual and auditory);

Yeah, it is that important and it is usually not talked about.

Migraines are largely caused by constriction of blood vessels in the head. What causes that constriction? Magnesium is VITAL for muscles to be able to relax, and this affects digestion and bowel habits, muscle spasms (cramps, charlie horses, etc), and causes other problems, as well.

Migraines are relieved and even prevented, when we supply the muscles that control those blood vessels with what they need, to be able to relax.

My home migraine remedy, that works fairly often:

* 400-800mg Magnesium
* 455-910mg Cayenne Pepper capsules (cayenne is a natural pain killer, if your stomach can take it, and it causes blood vessels in the head to expand)
* A cup of coffee or something else that has a substantial amount of caffeine--preferably without sugar or artificial sweeteners (soda only as a last resort)
* 120mg Ginkgo Biloba (helps improve blood flow to the head)

All the above are easy to find almost anywhere that sells vitamins, and not terribly expensive.

For ongoing maintenance, check this out:
http://www.mgwater.com/migraineletters.shtml
 
My wife had migraines for years. She visited our doctor who prescribed Butabutol capsules for them. The capsules worked, but because they contain controlled substances, she could only get ten per prescription. Sometimes she would use an entire prescription over three or four days.

Then we moved and visited a new doctor. She told our new doctor about her migraines, and he ordered blood tests. The results showed one of her vitamin B levels was low, so he recommended she take a vitamin B complex. She did, and over the next few months her migraines nearly stopped.

There are so many causes of headaches that it's a good idea to contact a doctor to determine if they can find a reason. :heart:
 
I used to get migraines at that time of the month. Dark room, quiet, liquids, little to no food. Maybe a few bites of white rice or applesauce. Really hard massage at the back of the neck and shoulders.
 
It was mostly lack of caffeine. I had that d'oh moment reading a couple posts. Trying to get off the diet coke devil water train. I don't drink coffee or tea. It really didn't occur to me lack of caffeine was giving me this raging vise-like headache.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Much appreciated.
 
Back
Top