THIS is how to work "freedom of religion" and make the conventional folks crazy!

Now that's what I'm talking about! Let these kids have more options.

Its about time we stopped this Christian brainwashing of our kids.....

Good for you Lucien. I had to find my path by buying a beat up Satanic Bible at a yard sale when I was 14.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Let these kids have more options.

Its about time we stopped this Christian brainwashing of our kids.....

Good for you Lucien. I had to find my path by buying a beat up Satanic Bible at a yard sale when I was 14.

And youre a fucking imbecile.

No, imbeciles are the people who look around this world and still try to shove the concept of a "merciful" god down people's throats.

What? So all this time my wife kept telling me, "Keep feeling around, a litle further, no a little to the right, okay, keep going...."

She was just screwing with me?

I feel so used. :eek:

I can see it now:

Wait, what? You mean we have to let other religions pass out their literature as well? That's not what we meant!

Geez, talk about unintended consequences that anyone with any sense could have seen coming a hundred miles away. I think it is great!

ts4gf7.jpg

I'm confused about the wording of one particular part, where it says the judge ruled that if christian material can be distributed, athiest literature could to.

That's... in reference to satanic material being allowed also? I mean the person that wrote the article and/or the judge know Satanists and atheists are not the same thing, right?

I'm confused about the wording of one particular part, where it says the judge ruled that if christian material can be distributed, athiest literature could to.

That's... in reference to satanic material being allowed also? I mean the person that wrote the article and/or the judge know Satanists and atheists are not the same thing, right?

They're not the same but there's overlap, and this particular group do seem to be atheists who use "Satan" as a symbol rather than believing in Satan as a real being.

http://thesatanictemple.com/about-us/faq/

It is the position of The Satanic Temple that religion can, and should, be divorced from superstition. As such, we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan. To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse.

The idea that religion belongs to supernaturalists is ignorant, backward, and offensive. The metaphorical Satanic construct is no more arbitrary to us than are the deeply held beliefs that we actively advocate for. Are we supposed to believe that those who pledge submission to an ethereal supernatural deity hold to their values more deeply than we? Are we supposed to concede that only the superstitious are proper recipients of religious exemption and privilege? In fact, Satanism provides us all that a religion should, without a compulsory attachment to untenable items of faith-based belief: It provides a narrative structure by which we contextualize our lives and works. It provides a body of symbolism and religious practice — a sense of identity, culture, community, and shared values.

Nobody has mentioned Wicca or the beliefs of the Red Man.
[sorry; showing my age, there]

That's all very well and good for those Satanists I suppose. But I don't necessarily think that they're representative of what atheism actually is, which isn't a religion or belief system or denomination at all. It's kind of by definition the opposite of all the above. More like they are one group representing their own ideals.

It was just kind of odd to see it phrased that way I guess. Like saying, "if the blondes and redheads can color their hair, bald men can too."

Kind of strikes you as "?"

IMHO is confusion between anti-theists, who actively disbelieve in deities, especially one specific deity, and a-theists, who don't bother with deities. Any anti-religion literature is likely to be produced by anti-theists; we a-theists are busy elsewhere.

In my THE TOTAL MORON'S GUIDE TO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE I set out a deism table, terms defining deistic paradigms:
* THEIST: a person affected by one or more gods
* ATHEIST: a person unaffected by any gods
* ANTITHEIST: a person opposed to all gods
* MONOTHEIST: a person observing strictly one god
* POLYTHEIST: a person observing more than one god
* AMBITHEIST: a person unsure of which deity to stroke
* ANIMIST: a person finding divinity in all animals
* ONANIST: a person finding divinity in their genitalia
* UNIVERSALIST: a person finding divinity in all existence
* FUNDAMENTALIST: my god(s) is/are better than yours, dickhead
I personally like carving my own deities; they're so much easier to understand and control that are other people's manufactured gods. I will admit to creating a few religions of my own, and even to writing a how-to guide for messiah wannabees: START YOUR OWN RELIGION FOR PHUN AND PROPHET! Maybe I should repost that on LIT. But it would go into the HUMOR-SATIRE section and maybe 500 people would read it. Same if I repost HOW TO BECOME A SEXGOD OR SEXGODDESS WITHOUT HARDLY EVEN BREAKING A SWEAT, or NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS: THE GAME OF UNINTENDED ORGASM, or GOOD GODZ! HOW-2 UNCOVER DEITIES. The only place for these (and others -- I have a million of'em) won't grab eyeballs. Damn.

But I digress. If one faith- or politics- or culture-oriented group can distribute literature, so should all others. Even Scientologists (shudder).

Last edited:
Aye, anti-theist is the word I suppose. Though even that doesn't entirely cover it. I think Hitchens coined that term, or at least made it widely familiar.

I don't think I'd have a problem with any of the religions handing out pamphlets or literature or what not in the schools. So long as they don't attempt to teach it there. It does strike me as... misguided? ... to do all that at the schools. Maybe that's just me, personally.

Levay doesn't see The Devil as a deity, but more like a power source "The Black Flame" and we all have it within us. But he was not adverse to playing up the biblical version of the devil when it suited his needs.

For instance one of his Satanic Statements is that the devil has kept the church in business for years and he's right. With no bogeyman what could the priests/preachers threaten you with?

No way to say this without setting myself up for some snarkiness, but my belief(through a lot of levay and some other influences) is that I am my own god and so is everyone else. We have everything we need within us, we just have to get in tune with it and use it.

However one views deities, I have to admit one thing about them. They make for pleasantly good fiction. I think this was evident with the Greeks and Romans and the Norse. There were always stories of Odin and Sigmund and the Rhine, Chronos and Zeus and his brothers, Mars and Venus. They weren't just deities they were characters, fully equipped with their own stories, strengths, weaknesses.

The seasons changing because of how Hades stole Persephone. The ongoing tricks of Loki. Atlas and the world, the drawing of straws and the end times.

Gotta say, whatever they were, they made for epics. And before we completely understood the world around us, they commanded our attention and our fear. That's a pretty powerful story.

However one views deities, I have to admit one thing about them. They make for pleasantly good fiction. I think this was evident with the Greeks and Romans and the Norse. There were always stories of Odin and Sigmund and the Rhine, Chronos and Zeus and his brothers, Mars and Venus. They weren't just deities they were characters, fully equipped with their own stories, strengths, weaknesses.

The seasons changing because of how Hades stole Persephone. The ongoing tricks of Loki. Atlas and the world, the drawing of straws and the end times.

Gotta say, whatever they were, they made for epics. And before we completely understood the world around us, they commanded our attention and our fear. That's a pretty powerful story.

Agreed and the bible is also a work of mythology that does the same thing and it makes me laugh that people see the bible as the truth and others myths.

Let's see. Pandora is told not to open a box, she does and eveil is unleashed upon the world...Ha ha silly story!

But..Adam is told not to eat and apple and when Eve gives it to him and he does....sin is unleashed upon the world...Can I get an amen? That's the truth brother!

Please.....

Apollo springing from Zues head? Myth! Immaculate conception?:rolleyes:

I can go all day.

Christians really are an arrogant sort

It's kinda why I find it... odd... to distribute such material in schools. They mean well and all, but I just see the pattern that wherever you are raised in the world as a kid, and whoever raised you, typically you adopt that particular religion. You're taught from birth in Alabama for instance to be Christian, and in Syria you're probably taught Islam.

I'm not against providing the kids information at all. But there's this little part of me that would like to give them the chance to decide for themselves after they've grown up in the world.

It's kinda why I find it... odd... to distribute such material in schools. They mean well and all, but I just see the pattern that wherever you are raised in the world as a kid, and whoever raised you, typically you adopt that particular religion. You're taught from birth in Alabama for instance to be Christian, and in Syria you're probably taught Islam.

I'm not against providing the kids information at all. But there's this little part of me that would like to give them the chance to decide for themselves after they've grown up in the world.

Why in hell do you wanna let junior dweebs decide anything? That's the craziest fucking proposition I've seen since LC posted something similar. The little bastards bring guns to school.

But..Adam is told not to eat and apple and when Eve gives it to him and he does....sin is unleashed upon the world...
That's one interpretation of the Adam & Eve story. Here is another:

A&E are wandering around the Garden, where they were instructed not to eat of a certain tree. (If you're Egypt-oriented, it's a date palm; if you're Assyria-oriented, it's an apple. Opinions vary, depending on which of the two or three creation myths in Genesis one prefers.)

Ah, but how were they instructed? {JHWH} didn't appear "in person" to humans -- that reportedly tended to burn out eyeballs and brains. No, {JHWH} sent messengers ('angels') to pass the word. Every single creature A&E had ever encountered in their lives was a creation of {JHWH}; anything that spoke to them was a divine messenger. That was their history.

So, along comes a 'serpent'. (From the ancient Hebrew language context, that could have been anything looking vaguely reptilian, such as a lizard or newt.) And the 'serpent' says, Go ahead! Eat! Enjoy!

As far as A&E know, this is just another divine messenger, relaying the revised rules. In fact, as far as ANY reader of Genesis knows, the 'serpent' was indeed acting on divine orders. A&E heed the word, and are punished with expulsion and mortality. Bummer...

This makes {JHWH} a Trickster, a creepy alien with a twisted sense of humor, which is displayed again in the story of Job. Here in Genesis, A&E follow orders and get fucked over, along with all humanity. That's one pretty sick deity. Sure, it's part of a Divine Plan. We suffer because {JHWH} wants us to. Right.

I'd better stop now. Think I'll carve another deity. From an apple. And eat it. Yum.

That's one interpretation of the Adam & Eve story. Here is another:

A&E are wandering around the Garden, where they were instructed not to eat of a certain tree. (If you're Egypt-oriented, it's a date palm; if you're Assyria-oriented, it's an apple. Opinions vary, depending on which of the two or three creation myths in Genesis one prefers.)

Ah, but how were they instructed? {JHWH} didn't appear "in person" to humans -- that reportedly tended to burn out eyeballs and brains. No, {JHWH} sent messengers ('angels') to pass the word. Every single creature A&E had ever encountered in their lives was a creation of {JHWH}; anything that spoke to them was a divine messenger. That was their history.

So, along comes a 'serpent'. (From the ancient Hebrew language context, that could have been anything looking vaguely reptilian, such as a lizard or newt.) And the 'serpent' says, Go ahead! Eat! Enjoy!

As far as A&E know, this is just another divine messenger, relaying the revised rules. In fact, as far as ANY reader of Genesis knows, the 'serpent' was indeed acting on divine orders. A&E heed the word, and are punished with expulsion and mortality. Bummer...

This makes {JHWH} a Trickster, a creepy alien with a twisted sense of humor, which is displayed again in the story of Job. Here in Genesis, A&E follow orders and get fucked over, along with all humanity. That's one pretty sick deity. Sure, it's part of a Divine Plan. We suffer because {JHWH} wants us to. Right.

I'd better stop now. Think I'll carve another deity. From an apple. And eat it. Yum.

Don't forget, this is also the same being who has a sadistic streak in it. It told a father that in order to show his loyalty he had to kill one of his sons and when he went to do it was told, "Just kidding! We're all good." How sick is that?

If someone did that today we'd call them despicable and a tyrant but in this one case we give it a pass.

Last edited:
Back