The Darkness Within (closed for BeautifulTrauma)

Firmhanded_Daddy

reborn in flame
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Posts
10,067
Enrick sat at the table he had claimed near the door of the Lady Luck Tavern in Daggerford. He knew that being closer to the door, he was less likely to be caught up in a brawl. He had long since tuned out the noise and focused himself inward, turning to the innermost parts of his mind. There he pictured the pulsing power that fed his psychic abilities, encased in a fortress, surrounded by a complex twisting maze, and a shifting labyrinth. He had learned early on how to block unwanted entries from his mind. It was one of the first things he had learned when he had begun exploring his powers.

When you were a powerful Psion it did not just open up new powers and possibilities to you; it opened you up to a whole world of threats. One had to constantly be able to protect yourself from mental attacks. He touched the tendrils of power and felt it vibrate with the anticipation of being formed from raw power into a manifestation. Instead of doing that he simply touched it, let it gather under his fingers.

A familiar voice resounded in his skull, the only voice that could easily penetrate his defenses. “You have as much grace as an Elephant that has just been set on fire. I could do this much better you know.” He ignored the chirping voice of his Psicrystal and ducked instinctively as a mug of ale went sailing over his head. The Psicrystal had given him enough warning that it was coming.

The current of power flowed from the heart of the bastion and ran throughout his mind. This was a meditation practice called becoming Psionically focused. It did not spend any actual power, but it held power in the mind and allowed for a Psionic practitioner to perform acts that were powerful, and sometimes seemed beyond mortal with enough effort and training. As he opened his eyes, their green surface glowed with purple energy for a moment, then the energy dissipated.

A familiar figure entered the establishment just as the brawl behind Enrick began to heat up. He rose from his chair in an attempt to both close the distance to his longtime companion, and friend; as well as get clear of the melee.

A dwarf came crashing into his chair; destroying it. Enrick tried to shift his weight to keep from falling on the dwarf, but unfortunately, he didn’t quite succeed. He went down hard, his short spears haft jamming hard into the dwarf’s armored gut.

Enrick’s unarmored skull bounced hard against the sticky wooden floor and he fought to stay conscious. Blood matted in his short red hair; hair that was the color of autumn colored leaves. He felt the darkness creeping up on him and instinctively released a short burst of Psionic power. He bolstered his fortitude just enough to keep himself to slipping into the inky blackness. He was trying to gather his wits, he felt himself being pushed to his side and then found himself on his back again. His ears were ringing and he turned his head toward the door and noticed a familiar pair of boots, charcoal pants. “Tish, your late.” He stated in a tone that was his trademark lack of emotion.

He didn’t get a chance to say anything else. The dwarf had picked up his spear and drove it down into his gut; point first. It was a testament to the fine craftsmanship of the elves that he was still alive. The gleaming chainmail absorbed a very direct blow and caught the head of the spear. This dwarf was strong. Normally he would have given the bastard a warning before retaliation but the dwarf had already made him bleed and now was legitimately trying to kill him.

His eyes glowed dark red and in front of him, a shimmering shapeless mass materialized It was roughly seven feet and appeared to be humanoid, except for the fact that it had a Rhinoceros’ head. The beast threw its head back and let out a roar that echoed throughout the common room. Everyone stopped fighting to stare at the beast in stunned awe. The beast did not play so nicely. It slammed into the dwarf a bowled him over ass over teakettle.

Enrick’s spear clattered to the floor forgotten.

The creature did not stop there, it charged headlong into the melee of bodies and began grabbing the nearest person, tossing bodies, and throwing them against other people, tables, posts, walls. Enrick stood up on wobbly legs and tapped one of the many tattoos on the back of his hands. If anyone looked closely they would notice all the Tattoos were roughly the same design. The object glowed, then vanished and the skin on the back of his scalp knitted back together, stopping the flow of blood. He then scooped up his spear.

”Smart use of the construct, but no effort put into making it unique or appealing. You just gave it brute force and set it to work. You should have let me design it. I could have made it truly terrifying.”

The Psicrystal was speaking out loud, not using their telepathic link. It rarely did use the telepathic link. It felt that it’s ideas needed to be shared for the entire world. “Shut up.” Enrick snapped. It was never a good sign when he was outwardly showing emotion. He was having to use up resources that he had stockpiled for their mission on a bar brawl? Oh, he was not in a good mood. It showed on his features.

He was not unattractive. He had a strong jawline, broad shoulders and some lean muscle to his figure. What normally put people off was that his features were a bit too perfect, too youthful, add this to the fact that he often tended to have a bland character until you pushed him the wrong direction and people just simply didn’t get along with him.

Also, people did not understand Psions, they feared them more often than not. Where mages and priests were common place, he was an anomaly. Mind flayers used Psionic powers, so obviously he must be evil too, right? Foolish narrow-minded fools; with narrow perceptions of the world. The crowd was now turning on the construct en mass. He commanded the construct to his side and stretched out his hand. “That will be enough. I have not yet killed anyone, but the next time I will not be firing non-lethal shots.”
 
She turned off of Horse Way and skirted the south-western edge of the shanties, a meek construction of poor and downtrodden “lesser” folk, near the southern most point of Daggerford. Across from her, men and boys toiled away at breakneck speed on the Drill Field. She paused only for a moment, pulled the sooty hood of her cloak taut, and closed any glimpse of the obviousness of her lineage; two deep, glowing crimson sclerae with no pupils or irises still gazed upon the pitiful scene. A boy of twelve summers or less, with unkempt blonde hair and a faded blue tunic mottled and holey, paused, pale and swaying. He stared directly at her, gave a weak smile, and fainted. A man came to scoot him over with dusty boot, only to work on the space the child gave up in his moment of exhaustion, ignoring the poor lad’s condition.

“What a town,” she muttered darkly.

Her movements were fluid and agile as she continued onward; her prehensile tail was one of the few things she could not constantly hide, but it helped her to get through rougher terrains and awkward spaces. She turned into the alleyway between the shanties and the common areas of the town and snaked her way through the depths of an otherwise avoided path towards the Lady Luck Tavern. A low humming necklace hung around her neck, buzzing incessantly. She tried all day to ignore it, but it was getting to the point, now, that she could no longer.

She sighed, turned to see if anyone was following her, and found an outcrop between two residential buildings. She fumbled for a moment to pull the talisman from under her black studded leather vest. The object glowed faintly, a soft orange, and vibrated against her bony, pale hands. It was a modest thing, carved and decorated by her: a black oval with a ghostly hand embossed in the center.

“Not now,” she whispered to it. A drunk man stumbled past her outcrop, and she immediately froze and closed her glowing eyes so that she would not be noticed. Her hand clasped tightly around the object which pulsed a faint otherworldly energy. When the drunkard had made his way to wherever he meant to go, she uncovered it again. “Soon though, Keeper. Soon.”

She shoved the trinket back into her vest and continued her way through the alley, eventually spilling onto a side street with no name that led to the marketplace. The red-roofed tavern sat directly across from the main entrance into town, slightly south of the marketplace. Its sign was ostentatious, a near-bare-breasted woman full of glee grinned at passersby while rolling a set of dice. Yeah, this was the Lady Luck Tavern. She knew it well, and knew it often, but there was a strange buzz about, lately. People whispered of nameless fears in the streets. When they saw her they’d immediately stop to stare; it wasn’t particularly strange for a Tiefling to walk among humans, dwarves and halflings, but there was still a silent stigma against her people. She’d nod a silent ado when folks gawked too long, but she could still feel the unease and restlessness.

The universal nervousness of the common folk was always more apparent in taverns and alehouses. Frothy bitters and distilled spirits brought out the worst in people, she learned in her twenty-four summers, but it also brought out a lot of truths. Sober men were apt to conceal, whereas sloshed men were open to revealing their souls. It was always curious to her why it wasn’t the other way around.

As she opened the door to Lady Luck, she felt the rising animosity immediately. The iron taste of a tussle to come etched the crease of her pert lips, and she immediately pulled back her hood. Long raven hair escaped its prison, and her stark features came to light: dark purple horns curled from her temples behind her head and switch-backed towards her elongated ears; her pallid skin shone a soft hue of lilac which darkened progressively at the natural shadows of her sharp cheekbones. It didn’t take long for her companion to spot her entrance, even though she had not scanned her surroundings for him yet; she was more intent on staring at the epicenter of what was soon to be a disaster. Her haunting gaze followed the movement of an ale flying through the air only to shatter dead-center on the back of some brawny man. A low growl set the stage as the man stood, nearly six-foot-three, and grabbed for the dwarf who flung the mug. A strong fist met the stout man’s jaw and sent him flying into the chair that once housed Enrick. A misstep made her friend tumble and land on the struck dwarf, who sought to retaliate his anger on the wrong source.

“Fuckin’ Dwarves,” she snarled as she shoved people out of the way to get to Enrick. She elbowed a gangly looking fellow who tried to step in her way and smooshed his face onto the surface of his table, then crinkled her nose and glared at the other inhabitants of the space as a dare to try and come at her. By the time she reached Enrick the dwarf had already tried to open him up like a fish, only to be deflected by the armor her companion was adorned in.

It was instantaneous. Whatever energy that pulsed through the talisman around her neck was starting to coalesce into her veins. Her eyes shut briefly only to open brighter as her fingertips sparked and crackled with the fires of a plane that was not her own; the crackling formed small beads of fire at the center of her hand that throbbed to the unnaturally calm beat of her heart. The flames immediately changed shape and color, flowing deeply back into her body as a purple bolt took up residence in her palm, glowing violently, ready for its projection towards a very worthy adversary. The readied Eldritch blast popped and lapped around her finger joints, arching pure Eldritch energy towards its epicenter, contained, for now.

Before she could even throw the dastardly gift at the dimwit that attacked Enrick, her companion had already taken up his variation of arms. She caught his visage out of the corner of her vision as his eyes became alight and a beast was summoned before him. As the being tackled the dwarvish adversary, a few people gasped in horror and tucked tail, shoving each other out of the way of what would likely be a shit show that they did not wish to partake in. She widened her stance, slightly, and craned to see what was to come, still ready to let the energy amalgamated in her hand free from her spindly fingertips.

Bodies flew every which way; cries of anguish and fear wrought the tavern as infrastructure and furniture was demolished in the wake of the creature. She saw the barkeep reach for a weapon and she immediately pointed a macilent finger at him; she insidiously watched the emotions play over his face: from staunch determination to unease, and unease to pale-faced terror. He dropped whatever it was he was holding but the sounds echoing through the walls of the establishment lessened its clatter. He immediately ducked behind the bar out of fear for life and limb.

Her eyes darted back to the crowd that was slowly edging towards the construct and Enrick; she consciously chose a spot somewhere within the vicinity of the middle. A tough guy with scars on his face cracked his knuckles. A perfect target for her Precise Shot. She released the Eldritch energy, watched it sail over several heads, and directly impact the man in the chest, as wounds formed at the impact site. His face was stoic, at first, despite the damage dealt, but his eyes grew wide as he was shaken from the energy that formed pockmarks in his flesh.

She lowered her stance a few inches and began reforming the energy in her palm; she ran her free hand methodically around the space, brows furrowed. A few people at the front of the crowd hesitated to step forward, her presence becoming far more intimidating than they previously gauged.

“Any more of your assholes going to attack my friend, here?” her voice suddenly sounded low and echoey, as if two voices were speaking at once through her vocal chords. Her purple forked tongue protruded from her lips as she curled it around her left canine tooth. “Anyone?”

Many of the falsely brave individuals before them decided against it as a few others attempted to help the fellow out that got to taste the true nature of Nethtish’s ingrained ability. Something was unnerving and off about the two beings standing in front of the clientele of the Lady Luck Tavern, but the patrons didn’t have the audacity or the nerve to fight tooth and nail with little more than bare fists and metallic mugs. A collective sigh of relief washed over those fortunate few whose paths did not cross with the construct, and any cowards that remained attempted to pry themselves off of the walls that they had stuck their backs to. The barkeep slowly popped his head up from his counter and stared, wordlessly, at Nethtish and Enrick.

“Well… Sorry I'm late...” she sighed as she palmed the energy back into herself and shook her hand as the tingles remained from holding the energy with no release. “… I suppose this proves that we shouldn’t split up, even in town…”

She snorted in some mucus from her sinuses and spat gracelessly on the damned dwarf’s broken face.

“You alright?” she glanced back at Enrick. Her tail flicked a moment and wrapped around the bottom edge of his chainmail shirt, lifting it slightly to expose any would-be wounds. She knew he’d slap the tail away, so she released it preemptively and turned to appraise him fully, grabbing his shoulders to shake him slightly. “Are you mortally wounded? Do I have to try and convince another suspicious priest to look you over?”

She let his shoulders go, grabbed her face in frustration, and exhaled heavily.

“What were you thinking, exactly? Take out the whole tavern? Before we have to head out on a mission? Really? Did Primadonna even try and dissuade you?” she motioned her hands erratically in his general vicinity. “But, never mind that, you hit your head; how many fingers am I holding up?!”

She lifted her hand and held up her pointer and middle finger; before he even had a chance to answer, she raised her ring finger, then dropped it, raised it, then dropped it.
 
Last edited:
Leave it to Tish to make an entrance. Their personalities often clashed, but there was an unshakable bond between the two that had developed over a singular fact; being outcasts. It was this unique fact of life that bound the unlikely duo together. Even when their goals were different when their motives were different, their ideas differed, they always stuck together.

He watched the Eldritch blast sail over several people to hit the big man and winced. He knew what was to come next and it was not a pleasant thing. She took her place next to him and he felt comforted by her nearness.

He listened to Tish’s speech as she modified her voice and let out a quiet chuckle. She enjoyed doing that to people. Where he was often methodical and succinct she was often the proverbial wrench in the works or the unaccounted variable. More often than not it made them more effective than it would be otherwise. Early on in their adventuring days he had tried planning detailed strategies with Tish and just found that he could talk for days and she was still going to go her own way if she found a crack in the armor. Still, she was extremely smart, so he did not mind her improvisation, she had a surprising mind for tactics when it counted.

He felt her tail probing, looking for injuries. It always slightly irritated him, and he often slapped it away; never viciously but more almost in play. It was just an odd thing to experience. It wasn’t like the two had ever been intimate when she started using her tail to lift his clothing it just felt strange. Still, he knew she meant well. She grabbed him by the shoulder and looked him over. She started flashing fingers and he reached up with his hand to gently touch her face. “I have mended my wounds. Thank you for your concern, my friend. I believe we have more pressing concerns. The fear this rabble had of us is starting to wear thin. Come, let us make a tactical withdrawal and then we can discuss our mission.”

He raised his hand to show her that one of his tattoos of body adjustment was gone from the back of his hand where it had been this morning as proof that he had healed himself with Psionic power. Then he reached out and grabbed a broken piece of a chair, smiling. “Oak, perfect. This will do the trick.” He touched the reserve of power inside his mind again which was somewhat smaller than before and pulled power from the reserve once again. “Forgive me Tish. I need you to buy me 1 minute of time. This power takes longer to manifest than others.”

The Psicrystal crawled toward the shoulder closest to Tish and chirped “I did not try to talk him down. The dwarf did try to kill us and the brawl needed to be stopped. However, he did it with such mundane action. No flare. Like this power he is manifesting, it is going to be hideous! No style or aesthetic at all. Simply function, no flare. Why do I put up with him honestly?”

The wood in Enrick’s hand began to glow green and a similar light started to grow outward from the Astral Construct’s hand. At first, it was small but gradually grew bigger and bigger. As the wood began to take shape it was clear it was a reproduction of oak wood created simply from Enrick’s will. It was starting to look like a door almost with a few differences. Several long and very sharp looking spear-like protrusions sticking out of the front. “Almost done.” He used the table leg to deflect an incoming object, this was not a mug of ail. He pulled it back and noticed a knife sticking out of wood.

The final touch four protrusions on the back side that almost looked like spearheads. They extended out about four inches in length. Not too soon either, the crowd was pushing in and Astral Construct was starting to swing it like a spiked shield. He looked at the door and noted no one had managed to get behind them. He switched to a language he knew they both spoke fluently and he doubted anyone there could understand, Infernal. The words coming out of his mouth were harsh and guttural.

“Alright. All done. We just need to back out. The construct is just going to use this to seal the door shut behind us. It’ll disappear after 2 hours, and they have first-floor windows they can crawl out. This beats having to drop bodies on our way out.”

Someone was getting a little too close, he looked ready to lunge. Enrick hurled the chair leg with the knife still embedded at him without hesitation. It struck him hard on the shoulder and he went down, melting back into the crowd. “I’m running out of non-lethal ways to fight back Tish, we have to go.”

He pulled the crossbow from his hip and loaded a bolt. As he loaded a bolt the crossbow did what it always does when drawn for the first time in a battle, it began to sing inside every mind within fifteen feet of Enrick. ”Fly. Fly away. Into darkness, into light, into heart, stealing might. Set me free and let me sing! All I want to do is fly until I hear the widow’s cry.” It was a risk of making Psionically enhanced weapons. They sometimes became embedded with small fragments of personality, not enough to have an ego or intelligence, but enough to broadcast a low-level telepathic field sometimes.

Enrick turned toward Tish and couldn’t help but laugh. “Great, now on top of everything else they think I’m a murdering psychopathic bard. Cheers!”

They made their way back to the door frame just as someone tried to sneak through on Enrick's side. The man charging forward was human and wielding a short sword. Not the most ideal weapon but he might be able to wield it in the tight confines left. Enrick didn't hesitate, he fired the crossbow. The bolt struck the sword and though it was a light crossbow there seemed to be some extra force behind it. It didn't just knock the blade from the man's hand, it drove it against the post. The blade hit the post and then there was a second impact a heartbeat later and the blade snapped in half.

"Time to go!"

He wrapped an arm around Tish's waist and pulled her out the door first, then followed immediately afterward. The construct exited the door and then pulled the object into place. The door frame groaned and wood splintered in protest, but the makeshift barrier was now set in place. The construct started to follow Enrick and then dissipated. The duration of the power had run its course just with seconds to spare. He let out a sigh of relief and released Tish.

"So, we should go pick up our package then I suppose. You are right though. Splitting up in town is not a good idea."
 
Last edited:
Noting that the tattoo had vanished from his flesh confirmed that he was going to be alright, which set the gears and gyros in motion in her mind. What was to come next? A few of the intoxicated brave folk grumbled among one another and started taking heavy footsteps towards Nethtish and Enrick. Some of them did have weapons, and she noted their aggressive stances in trying to grab them from their various sheathes and containment pouches. She reached behind her back to pull out her heavy mace and beat the handle to her chest as a physical sign of not backing down.

A quirky smile came to her face as the Psicrystal chirped about what came to pass, then asked its question of her. “I dunno,” she shot a glance at Enrick and playfully lamented. “Why do we put up with him?”

She knew, deep down, why. She knew that they, despite being of different racial backgrounds, were misunderstood and considered on par with “monsters” to folk that did not understand the intricacies of their abilities. She knew, especially, she was a double whammy in a world full of God-loving, peace-seeking folk; a warlock and a Tiefling was almost a sure-sign of corruption and evil. That was not so, for Tish, although—if she admitted it to anyone—there was a time when, perhaps, she was enraptured by the concept of pure power from evil otherworldly presences. What always made her wonder was why, specifically, Enrick wasn’t closer to the masses of “normal” folk, other than his abilities. He seemed normal to her, handsome too, and of no formidable dark lineage; yeah, he had weird powers, and, yeah, he had a chirping psychoactive Psicrystal that acted more as a crazed parrot in the eyes of the communities they wandered through. But, still, it was strange; it always caught her off guard that people were uncomfortable with him. With her? Sure. Of course, with her, but him? Really?

She lingered on the thought a moment, seemingly distracted: she had been meaning to ask him about it, for what seemed like the better part of a decade. It came to mind in the heat of some crazy happenstance, though, and she often forgot what she was thinking in the moment between trying to keep herself, and the only person she’d actively admit to being loyal to, alive.

Loyalty, yes; he needed her to distract the rabble before it ruined his trick. She stepped in front of Enrick and flourished her cloak behind her. A group of three were closing the gap faster than the rest.

“You want to play with the Devil?” her voice came back, echoey and sinister, and boomed over the crowd throughout the establishment at three times its normal volume. The man in the center of the trio held above his head a dagger, completely devoid of the fear it would have otherwise instilled in his heart. She cackled darkly and stepped on the chest of the dwarf that started this entire orchestration of intoxicated stupidity. She made a point to grind the heel of her boot into his chest; he groaned, and his body went rigid in protest until she took her weight off of him.

“Alright, then, let’s play.”

She hit her chest again, harder. From her body a small wave of energy emitted from her, unseen. From nowhere and everywhere ominous whispers in her native tongue floated around the men coming towards her and Enrick. They paused for a moment, covered their ears, and tried shouting the sound out of their head; it was no use, Thaumaturgy lasted a minute, and that’s all the time she needed. A few uncertain people out of the range of its effect stepped towards her. One of them had a concealed knife, and he flung it at her with eerily accurate aim, but the Entropic Warding she had recently learned deflected it—straight into the wooden chair leg in Enrick’s hand—where it wobbled back and forth before the momentum faded. She took a few steps back and glanced at Enrick, making sure it hadn’t hit him directly.

“Shit, sorry… still getting used to that,” Her tail tucked slightly from embarrassment.

Before she could turn her head back towards their aggressors, or hit her chest for a tertiary effect of Thaumaturgy, Enrick had loaded his singing crossbow. A few folks looked completely beside themselves, between the singing and the Infernal whispers of death and demise, they seemed tormented and pretty shaken up. Still, a few wanted to set the record straight in their own minds that they were not cowards and continued to descend on Enrick and Tish. She snickered at Enrick’s supposition about the clientele assuming him to be a psychopathic bard. She took careful steps back, further, inching towards the door, where she finally set off the finale of her cantrip with a final smack of her chest: the floor beneath her feet rumbled, gently at first, before spreading forward thirty feet in front of her. Any remaining unturned furniture flipped over, impeding the way of anyone getting too close. It was harmless; the whole joint wouldn’t fall, but it would certainly buy them the few extra seconds they needed.

As she turned, she noted the idiot that decided to try and get behind the both of them; she went to raise her mace above her head only to be thwarted by Enrick’s bolt striking the blade out of the man’s hand. Tish’s tail started flicking as she glowered at the man who looked just as shocked as some of the first few people who got to taste her and her companion’s abilities. She lowered her mace, pointed her free index and middle finger at her eyes, then shifted her fingertips toward him, threateningly.

Enrick wrapped his arm around her waist to pull her to the safety of the exit. Within the same moment the construct pulled the object into place and they were unscathed, at the base of the entrance of the Lady Luck Tavern. She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck with her free hand, rehousing her mace.

“Well, someone had to get some rations for the journey, and I only know one person around these parts willing to sell to me for a decent price, so, y’know…” She shrugged and started walking casually south-east from the Tavern, glancing back at him.

“Y’ reckon Derval’s got it ready, or will we have to wait…?” She turned completely around to walk backwards, her tail tapping the space behind her as if it were a blindman’s walking stick, to ensure she wouldn’t fall or collide with anyone. She turned methodically back into the alleyway where she had wandered earlier. They were essentially retracing her steps, but, instead of taking Horse Way to Hill Road, they were headed towards Kaunth Alley.

Once they were both in the alleyway leading back to the Shanties, she turned around to walk at pace with him, shoulder to shoulder. “I figure, if he’s dragging his feet, we can just go to Silver Flood Inn and grab a bite” she slowed her gait to make sure his head was actually perfectly okay, only to take a double step to keep time. “Otherwise, y’know, we’ll be loitering, and he’ll bitch, like he always does.”
 
Last edited:
Tish had never intimidated him. She had never struck him as bizarre or something to be feared. When he encountered her, he had evaluated her quite quickly and given her a fair chance to prove who she really was. This was a chance she was rarely afforded, and she had shown her quality to him. Despite her quirks, they had become fast friends and the bond between them had solidified back when he had still been human. Little did she know that she had known him before he had made the transition to Elan.

His willpower was tremendous, while those very same small minded fools who feared her fell victim to her simple cantrip, he shrugged off the effect without the slightest effort. She had no fear of using powers like this with him nearby; with a mind as strong as his and all the contingencies and training in place even if he somehow did fall victim to the effect at first his mind was trained to realize he was under the influence of an unnatural effect and to snap himself out of it. It was one of the many uses for autohypnosis, but one of the more useful ones. It even allowed him some small amount of control over his body. If he were unconscious and bleeding to death his body would work to staunch the bleeding and keep him from bleeding out. For him mind over matter was not just a saying, it was a reality.

He had not seemed upset when her power didn’t quite completely deflect the blade the way she intended, he simply smiled at her. “Hey, it didn’t hit my face.” She had done what he asked and purchased the time they needed to make good their escape.

He listened to her reasoning for the delay and nodded. “Fair point. Maybe next time I will go with you to purchase the supplies. It may smooth things over, and keep things like that from happening again. It was not only a waste of time but a waste of energy. I doubt we will be welcomed back in that tavern any time soon, despite the fact that we were just defending ourselves.”

He nodded his head. “We can check, knowing him he is dragging his feet and wasting our time. Remember the last job? We waited for two days because he had to rework a hilt three times. I am not in the mood to have my time wasted after that.” His eyes flickered with the untapped power reserves that he held ready to release; glowing a pale green before he took a breath to calm his mind. It did no good to vent his anger to Tish. She had done nothing wrong, hell she had saved his ass.

He watched her keeping pace with him, watching him to make sure he was okay. He actually stopped and reached out to touch her cheek lightly. It was his turn to look concerned. “You are not injured, are you? I was actually making some preparations of my own. I meant to give you these before people started throwing mugs at me.”

He seemed to be intently focusing and after a few seconds three of the tattoos that he had used to heal himself slid from beneath actually slid across his skin and across her smooth pale flesh. They formed a chain from the contact point on her left cheek down her throat and into her leather armor.

“You remember how to use them right? Just tap them and they activate for a burst of healing. Soon I won’t have to buy them, I’ll be able to make my own. I’ve been studying how to do it. I’m almost there. Oh and you can move them anywhere you want just by thought. If you don’t want them marking up your beautiful face.” He touched her cheek softly, with affection, then pulled away. He often did things like that; showed her warmth and affection that he never displayed to anyone, ever. He never gave it a moment of thought because the transition to Elan had burned some spark of his humanity away, it had created a strange disconnect in how he related to people. It was not that he did not care for her, he did truly, and he meant the words that he said; he just did not think about the impact that they might have, or how they might be viewed by her.

The task done he began walking again and made his way toward Derval’s Smithy. The noise and the smell were enough to make him want to leave immediately. It always affected him that way though. Clenching his jaw he crossed the landing and walked into the shop, with Tish shortly behind him. Dwarves swarmed about working on various projects, but he sorted through each one, he knew each one by name, and a great deal about them actually. A lot of Tish and Enrick’s work came from here, so they spent a lot of time either purchasing supplies from or conversing with the dwarves. Finally, he found Derval himself and as he walked by Aranal he bowed his head in respect; the dwarf mopped his sweaty brow and nodded in acknowledgment. It was only proper to show deference to an elder in dwarven custom. “Derval!” The dwarf was furiously working a piece of superheated metal with a hammer. He turned his filthy face toward Enrick and Tish and grunted.

”It isn’t ready yet. The load was too heavy and the axle for the cart broke. I’m making a new one right now. Come back in a few hours.”

That was it. They were dismissed so simply. He traded looks with Tish, then quickly walked out of the shop. He felt like his ears were going to ring with the sound of hammers striking metal for the rest of his very long life. “So I guess that means we have time to kill. Lunch it is, my treat. It is the least I can do for getting you into a bar fight.” He offered a soft chuckle.
 
Last edited:
“Sure, it’d probably be better if you just wandered into the market, really, we’d get a lot better deals having you hold the coin purse. And I can look at all the cool bobbles from across the sea so I don’t disturb the possibility of those deals going sour.”

His mention of not being allowed back into the tavern made her tail flick erratically, though her face remained stoic—a dead giveaway that she was upset about this: Tiefling’s tails always told the tale of how they were actually feeling and often gave away pertinent information when they were lying, unless they were adamant about forcing their extremities to do their bidding. Tish did not feel it necessary to hide things from Enrick or force her body to do things that would otherwise eliminate the reign of her emotions over herself, but she still didn’t particularly like to seem upset or otherwise vulnerable.

“Shame that,” her voice was dry and unemotional. “I really liked their mead.”

As they continued their journey onward she nodded at the notion of checking in with Old Derval. When he mentioned the last job they took from him, her tail curled inward into almost a question mark shape only to flick outwardly fast, like a whip—a sign of annoyance; she scoffed and shook her head.

“I mean, other than the gold, I really don’t know why we put up with him,” she grumbled, folding her hands behind her back as she continued to step in time with her companion. “Maybe at the destination we’re taking his stock to we’ll find someone worth our time, and Derval can waste some other would-be adventurers time.” She spat on the earth away from them in disgust.

Loyalty was a big thing for her people, and she was steadfast in wanting to do everything in her power to placate, protect, and pursue Enrick, but she held no disillusioned allegiance to the richest tradesman in Daggerford: Derval was just a paycheck to her, and, though lucrative, he annoyed her to no end, but most dwarves did—their arrogance and little man complex really grated against her otherwise carefree personality. She raged inwardly about how much of an asshole Derval was, her tail flicking in larger arching sweeps as if she were trying to smack him around or impale him with the tip of her barbed tail, until Enrick paused mid-step to turn and touch her face.

Her crimson eyes blinked a few times as his kindness washed over her, then the blinking slowed and the glowing red orbs half-closed under heavily lashed lids. He didn’t touch her often, but when he did it meant something important was about to be presented—his touching her face was more than a gentle gesture, to her, it made the heart beneath her bosom quicken and her breath catch. A quirky smile took her lips and she gazed at him with warmth and tender compassion.

“No… No one got close enough to hit me directly, the closest call was that damn knife that I flung into the wood in your hand.” She mumbled as she tried with all her might not to lean into his hand. The transfer of his tattoos to her skin felt like a mirror of her blushing cheeks—a sight to behold, really, with her pale purple visage, a muted cranberry on a canvas of lilac, now adorned with symbols of healing power that ran from cheek to chest. She nodded when he asked if she remembered how to use them, though her thoughts lingered on how his palm and fingertips felt against her flush cheek. As her silent revelry reached its peak her tail finally stopped its wide swings and tucked around her ankles, squeezing slightly to keep her from any possibility of swooning. His calling her face beautiful made her want to giggle, to paw at him, and shyly deny his appraisal of her: there were many beautiful maidens in these parts that would suit him so much better than she; in her thoughts and forced silence the moment faded as he pulled away from her and the desire to girlishly play coy faded with it. Back to business, as per usual, though she knew tonight when they’d bed down she’d linger on the emotions she had toward him and warmth he had shown her; it was a rare treat. Her tail released her ankles and loosely fell behind her, with no provocation to swing or react to how she was feeling. Now was the time that she had possession of its erratic patterns, and she didn’t want to sour the moment with awkward flailing or a compulsion to pull at his clothing again.

She closed her eyes completely before they continued the movements towards Derval’s Smithy; she focused as hard as she could to move them to better locations that would be useful in battle: her biceps, for two, at the base of her neck just under her armor, the third. When she opened her eyes, she saw Enrick had taken a few steps ahead of her and she quickly scampered up to keep time, letting out a mixed-emotion sigh as they went, though it got drowned out by the tinkering at the Drill Field. She glanced over to see if that wee lad was still laying prone on the ground: he was, but a woman had come to his aid, probably his mother, with a water skein and a damp cloth. A sad look took her face as she contemplated why her mother never wanted her, then she remembered, looking down at her hands. The fleeting sadness faded as she focused back on the task she and Enrick had to take on, she slowed slightly behind her companion.

She never understood why he hated the Smithy, but she always noted the clenching of his jaw and how it sharpened the angle of his face. He looked severe like this, and it both scared and excited her in ways she didn’t quite understand. Half of her wish he’d just topple the place to the ground, especially with the snark and sass of the workers that labored away in this dusty, hot, putrid smelling establishment. She hated the smelting components of a smithy—something about iron mixed with whatever they used to harden their steal that made it oh so perfect by human standards always burned her nostrils. As she stepped through the door behind Enrick she watched the exchange from the door, lingering near the front window. She nodded when Aranal caught a glimpse of her and watched him begrudgingly reciprocate a nod.

‘Yeah, there were plenty of pretty maidens in these parts, Enrick deserves better than me,’ She thought quietly to herself, averting her gaze from a couple of younger dwarves that nudged each other at their work stations to gesture towards her and mutter something muted by the sound of crashing hammer on blade on anvil. She crossed her arms and her tail flicked slowly: she was forcing it to do so; otherwise, she’d surely knock down some merchandise and gain the scorn of Derval: they didn’t need that right now, not after what they had just gone through.

Lost in her thoughts, she barely heard what the Dwarf shouted over his work, bits and pieces came to her ears: “Isn’t ready. Axle broke. Come back.” Her eyes shifted towards the back of Enrick’s head just before he turned around to exchange a seemingly exasperated look with her. She released her crossed arms to tuck them back behind her back at the base of her tail and turned sharply to follow him out of the establishment.

“Your treat? Oh boy, I’m going to order the most expensive thing then,” she playfully nudged him with her shoulder and lead the way from Kaunth Alley onto Water Street. She turned into the orange-roofed establishment, larger than most buildings on the block, save for Derval’s, and opened the old oak door.

The inn reeked heavily of sweet tobaccos and spilt bitter beers. The interior had a rustic charm, knotty pine wrapped around the walls with silver bits and bobs suspended on wire as decoration. At the back of the establishment hung a large silver moon, forged eons before Tish and Enrick’s time. People sat at large mahogany tables, obvious travelers in troupes and adventuring parties: truth be told, it was more heavily populated than the tavern Tish and Enrick just fled from. The atmosphere, however, was completely different. Most people were weary and just trying to get a bite before heading out for the afternoon, or they were gleeful about making it out alive from their latest exploits. A small band of bards sang of heroes and fame, playing their instruments with deft aptitude, and people were genuinely at peace and not heavily modified by alcohol. This was better than the Lady Luck, any day.

The Inn keeper was a portly human woman in her late forties. She had a kindly face, though it was etched harshly with smile lines at her lips and eyes. Her messy mousy brown hair was tied in a bun with tiny white tendrils cascading down her cheeks from her temples. She was adorned in a modest pastel frock, despite the reputation and acclaim of her Inn, and a white, stained apron clung to the front of her curvy form. Bright blue eyes hid behind oval-shaped glasses that looked up to see who was entering her domicile and business. Her hands busily worked on cleaning a silver chalice as she stood behind the bar.

“Ah, well if it isn’t Tish and Enrick! It’s been a while!” She smiled warmly; her voice was deep and matronly: she probably hit a pipe since she was a child, the nature of the business that had been in her family for several generations. “Derval wasting your time again, I see. What can I get you two?”

Tish smiled at the familiarity, of someone actually having the privilege to call her by her nickname, other than her companion. She slithered through the sea of people seated close to the door and slid herself onto a barstool right in front of the Inn Keeper.

“Doesn’t he always?” She laughed, waiting for Enrick to join her at the counter. “Not sure, yet; what’s the special today Agnes?”

Agnes’ face turned to contemplation for a minute, she ducked into the kitchen and shouted over the sounds echoing therein.

“Ey, Tristan, you lazy sumbitch what’s the special?”

“’Ell if I know my sweet, we got chicken, we got pork, we got tatties, we got greens; you know we never have a damn menu” shouted a scratchy, muffled man’s voice from inside the kitchen.

Agnes popped her head back out and shouted louder than she meant to, still caught up half-way in the kitchen and her bustling dining room. “Chicken or Pork?!”

Tish shrugged and looked to Enrick. “Pork?” she asked her companion. “We always have chicken.”
 
Last edited:
Enrick had observed the myriad of mood shifts Tish telegraphed as they had made their way toward the smithy. He appreciated the fact that there was no deception between them. There was one person he knew he could trust and count on outside of his own people. He never really went back to his own people often. The Elan were fairly nomadic when they were Newmade and Made. It was not until they reached Eternal or Culler that they started to come back to Elan lands because they became an important part of Elan society. Until then they were expected to journey out into the world and gain in knowledge and strength.

He had wanted to tell Tish for some time now what he was. How would she react when she knew that short of actually being killed he would never die? He would be this age forever, his body would never break down if he chose to as long as he had Psychic power to spend he could choose to never eat or drink again. For all intent and purpose, he looked human, but he was actually far from it. He was not supposed to reveal this information, their race was very secretive about their existence, but he trusted Tish in a way he could not explain.

These thoughts were mulling around in his head and he seemed lost in thought. Even his irritation at the damned dwarves inept ability to properly distribute the load of a wagon cart was gone. Something snapped him out of his thoughts, however. The muttered and looks the two dwarves were giving Tish caught him and pulled him out of his thoughts. A rare flash of emotion crossed his normally neutral face. It was like watching a thunderstorm break upon a beachhead. He closed the distance in three steps, his face dark, turning red with anger. Enrick never lost his temper, perhaps it was the bar fight, perhaps it was Derval, maybe it was just all of it. He was definitely sick of people shitting on Tish.

He was not a warrior, he did not have a warriors strength, but adrenaline gave him the strength to take his spear and drive the point through the wooden goods bench in front of the two muttering dwarves and the snapped their gaze up at him in shock and horror. No one had ever seen the cool-headed Psion in a rage before. His voice was almost as wicked as Tish’s had been in the tavern earlier under whatever wicked effect she had used to augment her vocal pattern. “Do we have a fucking problem? The next person who glares at my dearest friend who I would give my life for is going to find out what it is like to have their mind ripped apart, while their bones are rattled apart by sound waves. If they are lucky I might let them die after that. Do we have an understanding? Good. I’ll be taking this as payment for the insult you have paid this beautiful woman.”

The dwarves were too busy cowering in fear to react to him snatching up a worked silver bangle with a few well-cut onyx stones seated into it, spaced evenly across the surface. It was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and while not magical, was certainly something to look at.

He followed Tish as they turned toward Water street and took a deep, calming breath to regain his composure. He barely saw anything, he felt numb and he tasted ash in his mouth. He was moving in step with her because his mind was able to function autonomously, but inwardly his was struggling with what just happened back there. Why had he reacted that way? People always treated he and Tish with disdain, why had that time set him off? Something was tickling the back of his mind, but he couldn’t quite touch it, something that he didn’t recognize; something from the past.

A familiar voice pulled him from his thoughts and brought him back to the present. The smells were not as offensive as the blacksmith, so he was able to at least relax some. Though even his Psicrystal was eerily quiet. “Hello, Agnes. Yes, it seems that Durval doesn’t understand you cannot load all the weight of a wagon in the middle. So we came for a visit.”

He listened to the back and forth as he settled next to Tish, his eyes flicking to hers for a moment, then flicking far away. Something was eating at him clearly, he was agitated; he was never agitated. Their relationship worked because Enrick was always the calm placid pond and Tish was the chaotic storm. Right now Enrick was turmoil and Chaos. At her question, he nodded his head “Pork is fine with me Tish. Whatever else you want too. I told you, my treat.”

He glanced at Agnes for a moment “Also Agnes can I get a glass of water? I think the heat of the Smithy got to me.”

He waited for Tish to make the order and then produced the bangle he had stolen from Derval’s shop. He handed it to Tish. “Here. I thought you might like this. I wasn’t sure if you’d want to wear it or not. I mean you have armor on, but you could also put it on your tail I suppose if that wouldn’t be uncomfortable. If you don’t want it I can always give it back.”

He paused, looking into her eyes again, drawing a heavy breath. “I’m sorry about that. I don’t know what came over me. Those fucking dwarves expect us to respect them, but we bust our asses to deliver their goods, we risk our lives so they can turn a profit and they look at you like you are a pit fiend when they know you really are a good person. I just wasn’t going to take it from them, not from them. They know better. If Derval gets his granny panties in a bunch about it I’ll work the job for free, that should sort it. You deserve better than that, not just from them, but from everyone. I wish they could see you like I do.”

He let out a quiet sigh. “We live in a world of small minded people, Tish. They see only what they wish too. The idea of broadening their perspective is so terrifying that it would completely destroy their worldview. Well, all we can do is make them look the fool.”

Agnes arrived with a cool glass of water and he thanked her. Handing her a full piece of gold despite there being no charge for the water which she graciously accepted. Agnes had found out very quickly that serving outcasts and treating them as equals was quite profitable. Providing them a place to feel welcome where they did not feel threatened or persecuted was something they paid well for. She arrived shortly afterward with their meal which he also tipped heavily for. “Thank you, Agnes, as always you are a wonderful hostess.”
 
It all happened so fast she didn’t quite get a grasp of the situation until they had walked out of the smithy and took up residence dead center at the bar. He stood up to them. He called her beautiful. Conflicting metadata roamed rampantly in her musings, trying to find solutions in whether or not lies were being told by Enrick or lies were being told by someone else.

‘He stood up to them for me?’ the thought echoed in the hallways of her mind, bouncing off of ornate marble columns and rumbled across a dark crystalline floor. A young Tiefling girl stood in the center of the architecture; her face was wrought with tears and bruises, lashings on her arms and torso, beneath a modest black smock and far too large of pants. The small lavender Tiefling girl was barefoot and dirty, hair matted and untamed, tail restricted by an unfathomably heavy load—a manacle binding her to a large relic of stone: punishment. Tish saw her former self and closed her eyes as the memories flooded in, memories that didn’t make sense for the given moment, memories she often forced away with feigned laughter, reckless grace, and unwavering devotion to her companion sitting not even a foot away.

“No one will save you, beast,” a hate-filled voice hissed in the hall, cutting the thought’s echo. Her mother appeared from around a pillar: a seemingly human woman with only one similarity to the young Nethtish—a raven black mane. “No matter how much you scream, no matter how much you cry… no one will save a hideous monster like you… You are nothing… And you never will be.” A whip dangled from the woman’s hand and she cracked it against the floor.

The sound ricocheted over the quiet sobs of the broken child who knelt and cowered in terror.


---

“Stupid Sod…” Agnes sighed. “I could’ve told ‘im that one, and I’m just an inn keeper; maybe he should hire me on as an engineer.” She laughed at her own joke, though she knew it hung stale between her two otherwise tormented looking guests.

Tish’s jaw was tight as if she were holding a word at the back of her throat. She absently toyed with a strand of her raven hair that tumbled down from her temple: twirling it in clawed fingertips, twisting it in silence. When she finally glanced at Enrick she noticed his own variant of turmoil plaguing his features—something she hadn’t witnessed cognitively in a long time, if at all--and it quickly shifted her from her own affliction. She dropped her hand from her hair to touch his arm gently to try and stir him out of it. A kind, but concerned, expression played over her face and her tail wrapped instinctively around him and rubbed his back to try and soothe him. His pointed glance alerted her that he wasn’t quite over the stunt he just pulled, and her tail fell away from his back, though her hand still remained on his forearm and squeezed softly to try and pull him away from whatever it was that was fueling the fire.

“So… Pork, Tish?” Agnes’ voice pulled Tish’s concentration for a moment.

“Pork’ll do us just fine, Aggie,” Tish responded coolly without taking her eyes off her dearest friend. When he ordered a water she quickly doubled the order with a fleeting thought: “And a glass of sweet mulberry wine, if you still have some, please.”

Agnes nodded and popped her head into the kitchen once more to shout over the gregarious crew and her boisterous husband: “Two Porks, all the fixin’s; don’t keep my best customers waiting with your antics!” then she went to fetch three drinks for the two of them.

As Enrick produced the bangle and presented it to Tish, she immediately withdrew her hand from his arm to take it. A child-like grin came over her face as she tried with all her might to pick up the heaviness that surrounded them in their melancholy.

“Gods, it’s beautiful…” she fawned. She flipped it over in her hands a few times and noted the craftsmanship—yeah, it was dwarvish made: a small inscription of runes spelling out ‘Derval’ were tapped into the backside of the bracelet, but it was still a sight to marvel over. As he fumbled with his thought of whether or not she wanted to keep it she slipped it around her tail until it fit snugly enough to stay on, then she stood and swung her tail in the empty space in front of the bar to ensure it would remain affixed. “Thank you, Enrick,” she beamed and slid back into her chair, leaning in to plant a quick, delighted kiss on his cheek. “I’ll cherish it, despite the means in which you got it.” She giggled and patted his back playfully with her tail.

As his seriousness continued the conversation, her smile softened. She reached to squeeze his forearm again and nodded.

“It’s fine, really…” she whispered, although she knew very well that it wasn’t. “I’ve been around the block a time or two; I’m used to it.” Another fib; it still stung, like the whips that struck her in her mother’s fine home. She immediately rejected what she said with a wave of her free hand. “I mean, it’s not really fine, and I'm not really used to it, but I don’t want you getting into trouble for someone like me.”

The words ‘someone like me’ burned her lips like acid as they fell from her mouth. She tried to recover with a swallow, but it was no use. Her eyes grew glossy as tears pooled at their edges.

“What I mean to say is… Thank you. I appreciate the effort, but, really, Enrick, you can’t fix stupid.” The next thought spilled out of her lips like an over filled water skein. “I can’t lose you in your attempt at righting injustices with folks like them. I’d have no one; I would be alone, again.”

His next words: “I wish they could see you like I do.” produced a single tear from her glowing red orbs and the catch in her breath from earlier, when he showed her kindness in the alleyway, came back full bore. She shook her head in disbelief: the words were real, weren’t they?

Her mother’s harsh voice echoed again in her mind: ‘hideous monster.’ She closed her eyes tightly and tuned out the memory as he spoke again. She nodded, eyes opening once more, a devilish grin taking her face. “I mean, if it’s Derval’s crew, I’ll have my wits about me to help next time…”

She wiped the dripping tear off her cheek just as Agnes came back with the drinks, setting one water at Enrick’s spot, and a chalice of wine and a water at Tish’s.

“Thank you, Aggie,” Tish recovered with a giggle and a smile. She raised the goblet as a salute and took a large sip of the sickly-sweet wine.

“Food’ll be up soon, you two,” responded Agnes, palming the coin and nodding warmly to Enrick before falling away to help another guest. “Always a pleasure to serve you two,” she called over her shoulder.

“And then we have to eat reeeeeeeal slowly or we’ll have too many hours to kill, still,” Tish laughed, setting down the silver chalice of wine. “Unless you’d risk venturing back towards the Market to look at bobbles?”

Her voice dropped to a whisper, and she leaned in closer to Enrick. “Or we can go somewhere to talk about whatever else is bothering you?”
 
Last edited:
Her warmth did not go unnoticed. He did not even protest to the presence of her tail touching him. He seemed to actually be enjoying the touch and her warmth. The turmoil in his façade lessened just a bit and he closed his eyes. Tension he hadn’t realized he was holding in his shoulders melted away; she could feel it fall away as his back relaxed. Then she drew the prehensile digit away and he almost told her that he did not mind it. Something kept him from opening that door.

Her delight as he offered the gift eased the shadows that played over his features quite significantly. This was by far the most emotion Tish had seen Enrick display in a single week, let alone one day. There must be a significant burden on his mind to keep him so unbalanced. The man was normally an unflappable monolith of calm, yet now it seemed something was awakening inside of him that she had never seen before out of him. That was not entirely true actually. If she thought back far enough in their friendship just before his month long absence he had been more emotive than he was now. He had told her he was going for some special training, but that was a cover story for his transformation from Human to Elan.

When he had returned there was an aloof nature about him that had not been there before. He was the same intellectual that he had always been, but without some of the warmth and emotional range he once had. Those emotions had not really surfaced even when they were in dire circumstances, though it seemed now that something was stirring inside his soul that was calling to what humanity still remained inside of him.

“I am pleased you like it. I truly am.” The kiss on his cheek was well timed. He seemed to want to say more but had no real way to say what he wanted to say. Normally so articulate he found himself reaching for something with a phantom limb and trying to use that limb to lift a boulder. In the depth of his heart and even in his mind he knew that he cared about Tish. His mind processed it as a friendship, a kinship brought about by mutual circumstance. Two loners who finally had someone to rely upon; yet his soul suspected something deeper than that, and it was rare that he let his soul do any talking. This was a strange sensation.

She spoke, telling him that she was fine with his treatment but he knew the words were hollow even before she rambled on. He knew that each person that treated her that way bit into her soul and though he was no mighty warrior a piece of him wanted to shield her from that pain as much as he could. He knew that it was much harder for her to blend in than it was for him and he felt a deep sorrow for her. What must her daily life be like having to mask herself constantly? He felt a pang in his heart for her. As she spoke it was his turn to squeeze her hand in offerance of comfort.

”someone like me

Bile and rage rose in the back of his throat but he masked it well as he held onto her hand. However, the Psicrystal that she had so aptly named Primadona chirped and gave away his mask. ”Oh Tish. He took offense to you saying that. He is trying to hide it the poor fool, but to him you are more precious than anything. Hearing you speak about yourself like that breaks what little of a heart he has.”

Enrick turned to the crystal and fixed it with a firm glance. It glowed as if it started to say more, but was cut off mid sentence. Clearly Enrick did not like having his inner most thoughts laid bare like that. The crystal floated back into his tooled leather holder on his left breast. “Of course I can fix stupid Tish, and I would burn the world for you to do it. However, I do not think such drastic methods are required. You have proven to these people that you are a good woman and they simply need reminding that boorish behavior will not be tolerated just because they are in a foul mood. Educating stupid people is well within my purview. I’m quite smart you know.” He offered her a playful smile.

She seemed really frightened that something was going to happen and he was going to be taken from her. He squeezed her hand tighter. “Don’t worry. I’m not going anywhere. That does not mean I will tolerate letting people who we know spit on your good name. I refuse to allow it. You have worked too hard and done too much for too many people. You deserve recognition for your deeds, not derision because of your lineage. Just because some of your kin choose a darker path does not mean you walk this path, and they know this about you. The simple truth is Derval was working them extremely hard to forge a new axle. I saw them working on it. They were pissed off and knew they could not badmouth him, so they spat their venom at you. Cowardice is no excuse to mistreat you, which lets face it is often the root of most hatred.”

He smiled as Agnes returned and took a few sparing sips of water. He found that the talk with Tish had managed to soothe him and the water was not really what he needed, just a way to work through what had happened. Still she knew him well enough to know there was still something bothering him. He smiled slightly and nodded his head. “I’m happy to speak with you about what is on my mind. I think it is well past time. I have been wanting to share this with you for a while but…” he paused, glancing around for a moment with a soft sigh. Then he continued. “You will understand when I explain.”

Agnes returned with the prepared meal and once more Enrick paid as well as for a handsome tip and on top of it he said: “Agnes after we are done we’d like a room for a couple hours if you could arrange that unless you are full?”

He had paid for a full night despite only requesting for a few hours and Agnes went off to fetch one of the maids to prep a single room. She didn’t give them any looks, or question the single room. Enrick and Tish always shared quarters wherever they went. Just as they had found out earlier today splitting up for any reason was simply a bad idea.

Enrick at his meal without heart, his mind obviously focused on the conversation to come. He finished most of the plate and then pushed it to the side. When Agnes came to ask if the food was alright he nodded and then she informed him the room was ready.

Once Tish had finished he stood slowly with a deep breath. “Shall we?” He glanced at the key and followed the stairs up with Tish in tow until they reached their room. He entered the room and waited for Tish to enter and then locked it behind them both. He set his pack down on the bed and ran his fingers through his short fiery red hair. Patting the bed next to him as he looked up into her eyes. “Sit please? What I have to say may be strange, might even upset you. I need you to understand I am not supposed to tell you. I am sworn to secrecy, but you are the most important person to me in the world. If I cannot tell you this secret then it was not worth it.”

He waited for her to sit and then he turned his gaze toward those crimson orbs which many people found so terrifying, but he just found entrancing. “I am not human Tish. I was human when we first met. When I left for that month long Psionic training, that was a lie I was supposed to tell all my loved ones. Turns out the only one I had to tell was you. The rest of my family had long since disowned me for my natural powers. Psionics manifest in a young child that have the natural gift almost like demonic possession. Strange smells, objects moving at random, things appearing then vanishing at random. One time I was angry with my father and he went to strike me, I pushed him telekinetically across the room. When they finally figure out that you are not a demon if they figure that out they just assume you are some unnatural creature like an illithid. Which is stupid of course, Psionic powers manifest randomly in all races. I manifested unusually strong, but and I began honing my skills, that was when we met, when I was living on the streets. I was working small jobs for the adventurers guilds on occasion but not much, no one would work with me long. Everyone is scared of Psions. Who wants to work with someone who has the power to read your mind? I don’t have any of those powers, I have not attained them or focused my efforts in those areas. Still this is the sort of things people are afraid of. So I sought out people who are natural Psions. There is a race called the Elans that seek out powerful and gifted Psionic humans. They cannot reproduce sexually so this is the only way they can create more of their kind. They take humans and perform a ritual on them that changes them from human into an Elan. When I came back I was an Elan. I looked the same but I was completely different.”

He paused for a moment then he continued. “There are many reasons to choose this path. What I did not anticipate was two things. The first was how much I would come to cherish your friendship. Keeping this secret from you has been a festering wound in my soul. The second is that living forever sounds fantastic on paper, but I didn’t realize it would cost me something in the process. I think I have lost the ability to feel emotion as much as I used to.”

He paused again and then frowned “I think I buried the lead there. Outside of death by some manner of murder or accidental death I’ll never die. I won’t ever age, my body will not break down, technically as long as I have psionic energy to burn I do not have to even eat or drink.”

He turned to her completely and took both of her hands in his. Staring into her eyes, his gaze full of sorrow. “Forgive me for not telling you sooner. I am not supposed to tell any non-Elan about my identity. They are extremely secretive and unless I have great need I am not even allowed to return to the Elan capital for another eleven years. We are supposed to go out and seek power and knowledge, then return with it to keep our society current with the world.”

His voice became softer. “I made this choice before you and I became close like we are now. I think perhaps I would have chosen a different path now. Though I’d be nearing thirty five years old by now if I were human. I’d be slowing you down as an old man at this point. My life would be half over. It would have been worth it. I have spent it with the only person who has never given up on me, or betrayed me.”
 
The emotions he was exhibiting (although muted by attempts to seem mindful and level-headed), in response to her kindness, seemed out of nowhere and almost lashing, like a whirlwind violently whipping within her very psyche; she took every rare moment of his gentleness to gather and absorb the compassionate words he fed her, while still trying to appear engaged in him being… well, warm… warmer than she could rightfully recall him being in what seemed like eons of time. As his words carried her through her self-sabotaging rhetoric, she earnestly hung on to every syllable that escaped his mouth. Her eyes focused on his lips, the way they moved, the aperture of certain syllables. Lost in the moment, the phrasing, everything she knew to be true up until that point: hammered in by a horrendous upbringing, paired with the outside world adhering to the notions crammed into her younger, impressionable mind, she felt almost outside of herself.

When Primadonna piped up Tish immediately shrunk into herself, that feeling of being an outsider looking in on the conversation vanished. Her cheeks flared into a familiar blush, and she awkwardly rested her elbow on the edge of the counter so that she could cover her mouth with her palm. Her eyes remained on him, as she watched him take control of the Psicrystal, though the words it had uttered echoed ceaselessly in her mind.

“…to him you are more precious than anything…”

“…you are more precious than anything…”

“...you are… precious…”


She immediately snapped out of it as soon as his words flared into her mind; she curled her fingertips down towards her chin in an attempt to appear thoughtful. She nodded as he dismissed her bleak outlook on how many mortal beings perceived her. His bid to fix stupid was admirable, even more so, now that she knew—exactly—how he felt. When he squeezed her hand before assuring her he wasn’t going anywhere, a familiar lump gathered at the base of her throat. She swallowed, in an attempt to control it; her eyes blinked slowly to avoid the tears coalescing at the edges of her eyes. She nodded again and dropped her hand, smiling softly.

“You’re right,” she laughed, clearing her throat forcefully before knocking back the entire glass of water. “And, of course, you’re the brains of the operation. I’ll follow your lead, wherever you may take us; although, I think crusading for my honor can sit on the back burner for a little while longer.”

She tittered again and placed the cup down just as he indulged in her suspicion: there was something bothering him, and it had been for a while. A nervousness roused in her stomach as she wondered whether it was something she had done. Before she could ask for clarification Agnes brought their meal to them. An exchange of more coin and an inquiry into a room set Tish’s thoughts alight, and like wildfire they burned deep in the accesses of her mind, where logic held no sway.

This could surely be the end of the two-man outcast team she had come to rely on and thrive in. Her shoulders fell slightly and her tail, once swinging with its shiny new bobble, fell limp, then tucked intricately around her barstool. The Psicrystal’s words echoed once more in her mind, but she forced the thought away, hell-bent that whatever needed to be said was directly related to something she must have done that she either forgot about or childishly dismissed. Stupid notions flooded her mind, she tried to recall moments that may have been awkward: she never was very good with emotional control, and he was, could that be it? She never was good at calculating a situation before running in recklessly while he was mindful and cautious, maybe that was it?

She couldn’t make a scene; no, not here. She eyed her food and started methodically cutting her portion of meat, scraping the potatoes and green vegetables away from touching one another. As she dragged her fork carelessly against the plate, which scraped at just the right frequency to induce a teeth grind within her clenched jaw; she flinched for a moment, then realized what she had done, awkwardly shoveling food into her mouth before Enrick noted her regressive behavior.

She wasn’t really hungry, anymore, but she wouldn’t let the food go to waste or make Enrick feel that she may be on to him. She kept her eyes down, steady on the task at hand, occasionally sipping her wine to wash away the rather dry potatoes. When he finished his plate, pushed it away, and Agnes informed them that the room was ready, Tish hesitated. Her tail clung to the chair and she felt almost frozen from the fear of what was possibly to come. Where would she go after this? Didn’t he just say he wouldn’t go anywhere? Was that a ruse? She glanced at Enrick as he slid from his seat, then she forced herself to do the same. Her tail held onto the leg of the stool for a moment longer, until it was obvious she was walking away, and it hung limp on the floor; the barb of her tail scraped as she walked, her shoulders continued to hang low, as if the backpack on her back weighed several times over her carrying capacity.

Once in the room, she could swear he could hear her heart beating hard in her chest. She almost seemed winded, though the stairs weren’t steep or otherwise difficult to climb. As he locked the door behind him she stood tentatively near it, watching him set his pack down and run his hands through his fiery mane before patting the bed beside him. She glanced back at the door handle for a moment: if she made a break for it, now, he wouldn’t have to say anything. She was good at running. She’d been running all her life.

“Sit Please?” he offered the spot beside him.

She clenched the strap of her backpack, staring down at him, unmoving.

“What I have to say may be strange, might even upset you…”

She began to gnaw on her bottom lip: long canines dragged against the muddled purple surface of her mouth. Something in her screamed at her: “GO! NOW!!!! BEFORE HE HURTS YOU!” yet something otherworldly was making her stand there uneasily, staring at him as fear contorted the elegance of her otherwise pointed features.

“…I am sworn to secrecy, but you are the most important person to me in the world…”

Her sigh of relief was louder than intended, and she allowed her backpack to fall at the base of the door with a loud thud. She immediately shifted to sit beside him and turned to him, listening intently. Her tail curled around him, in an attempt to make the space seem more nurturing and convey that she was open to what he was about to say: no judgement, no fear, just two grown humanoids sharing a private conversation.

Her eyebrow arched for a brief second when he admitted to lying to her, though, after he explained, it fell back into her stoic expression. She let him speak truths that he’d been dying to share. She blinked slowly and kept her emotions in check, which was rare for her; she nodded when she felt it was necessary, but otherwise just let him continue his train of thought. She swallowed back an uncomfortable lump in her throat when he mentioned being near-immortal, though when he grabbed her hands the tension she had built inside of herself was sated. She shook her head.

“There’s nothing to forgive… How could you have possibly fathomed we’d be as close as we are, now?” a faint smile crossed her lips. “I’m not upset, a little dumbfounded, but not upset.”

She looked down at his hands squeezing hers, then repositioned their hands so that their fingers could lace together; she leaned in, rested her forehead on his, and closed her eyes.

“Truth is, I care about you, too, Enrick…” she whispered softly. “In ways that, I suppose, you can no longer comprehend, in not being able to feel emotion the same way you once had…”

She pulled her forehead away from him and looked down at their laced fingertips.

“We all make choices in our lives that perpetuate our own stories, right?” Her gaze rose to his eyes, and her smile grew. “I have a nameless deity talking to me through a damned talisman that I carved with my own two hands, for goodness sake; I never thought I’d be a Warlock, when I was growing up…”

The thought of her childhood flashed fear over her face for a brief second; she shook it off and sighed, her eyes falling for a moment before returning back to his.

“What I mean to say is: we all do things to better ourselves, right? Or, I reckon, we’re supposed to; just because you’re never going to age, and just because you have special powers that make you anything but human doesn’t mean I’m going to run away screaming. Your secret is safe with me... I’ll take it to my grave.”

She laughed at the notion: she’d surely die before him, even if it was by her own stubbornness to take a hit that may well take him out. Mortality was a foolish thing to fear; she knew, eventually, she’d be gone, and although she was nearly eleven years his junior, it didn’t bother her so much. There was too much to be done, too many things to see and do, a part of her wanted such a life where she wouldn’t age or grow weary, another part--seeing Enrick as he was, tormented by the prospect of potentially losing her--knew better.

Beneath her leather vest the familiar vibrations started up against her sternum, she immediately released one of his hands to place her palm against the leather protecting her talisman.

“Well, I don’t plan on giving up on you or betraying you in any foreseeable future, so…” She giggled and gripped the leather as the talisman continued to rattle beneath her hand. “So… thank you for informing me of your past transgressions, but I don’t plan on going anywhere for a very long time.”

Her other hand released his as she stood, she turned her back to him for a moment so that she could pull out her talisman and stare at it. She sighed and whispered fiercely in Infernal: “What is it, now? We’re going to be going soon!”

The Talisman shined brightly within her clawed hand, she frowned and scoffed at it, pulling her leathers open enough to put it back, when suddenly she went rigid. A heavy breath fell from her, and she took a knee, as blinding white light penetrated her eyes (a phenomenon only affecting her—the talisman still shone as it had, with no more intensity than when she pulled it from its prison). She fell away from the room, from Enrick who was still sitting on the bed, as if she were being projected from her body.

Up she flew, straight up, past the interior of the Tavern, straight into sky and through the atmosphere. Rocketing forth, into the void of the stars and all the blackness in between. The pressure on her skin made her curl into herself, she reached to grasp her knees to her chest and her tail tucked around her, protectively. If she could scream, she would, but the bewilderment and momentum of whatever was forcing her through all of time and space made the idea of breathing near impossible. A sudden stop on the other side of what was known, and unknown, brought her to a shadowed being floating in the empty void between worlds.

“Nethtish…” the voice echoed and swelled in her mind, taking all forms of thought or fear from her entire conscious and subconscious. “I suppose this is the only way I can get your attention…”

The entity was impossibly large, perpetual, a single shaded mass that could only be fathomably seen in shadow from the backdrop of an ridiculously bright star behind it. The voice that projected from it was hollow, deep, and reverberated in her chest. She floated, stoic, in its presence; neither afraid nor abjured by it. She blinked slowly as it continued its tirade.

“I have been calling to you for many years… Nethtish… You test my patience…” it boomed over the empty void. “And here you are, still in utter silence… SPEAK, CHILD!”

“What would you have me say?” her voice was foreign to her, ethereal.

“Why have you been ignoring me? The one who granted you such powers? The one who saw to it that you would leave your awful upbringing to rise in ranks as a master of my raw energy?!?!”

“I haven’t had time to commune…”

“BECAUSE OF THAT ELAN?!!” The darkness swelled larger than even the sun behind it could penetrate, then lessened, diminished, smaller and smaller until the blue giant star behind it dwarfed its conceivable size. The light from the star, and the heat, was dashed instantly as the star went out from the entity’s temper tantrum; then he appeared, in a similar bright blue hue, though his illumination had been dimmed so that Tish could observe him.

The entity had humanoid characteristics not unlike Tish’s, though he was lithe and otherwise unfathomably handsome. Even in the weightlessness of space, he strode up to her, his luminescent hair floating behind him in waves that mirrored what one could only consciously consider to be star dust. His eyes glowed a white-blue hue, pupiless and irisless, and his horns mirrored Tish’s, in that they appeared ram-like and curled behind his head only to switchback towards his ears. He reached out and touched his follower’s cheek, gently, and sighed; his demeanor seeming almost mortal: compassionate, and warm.

“Make time for me, in your grand adventures, despite your feelings for that inferior creature… There is so much work I’d have you do, little one.” His voice was velvety, soothing.

“I will not stop caring for him, Keeper…” she retorted. He chuckled, shook his head, and kissed her forehead.

“I didn’t say not to, but I will not have you die for him, either…” He whispered in her ear and pressed his palm against her chest. “When I call for you, answer me… That is all I ask… Or I’ll take away everything you’ve ever known and loved…”

He shoved her backwards, through the cosmos, past stars and galaxies: past the atmosphere, the sky, and back into the tavern room where her astral body slammed back into her physical body; she awoke, face against the hardwood floor, body draped and limp on the same surface. She took in a sharp gasp of air and frantically looked around.

“Enrick?!”
 
Last edited:
As they neared the top of the stairs it was clear that apprehension; no perhaps abject terror marked every step she took. Perhaps she thought he was going to dole out some sort of punishment instead of confess what was in his heart? She looked like she was about to bolt at any moment like a terrified rabbit. She gnawed nervously at her lip. He had no idea what was going through her mind, but it took a moment to finally get her to relax. Once he finally did the words had come tumbling out like a rushing water fall. She curled her tail around him and created a circle of intimacy to share this one real secret he had from her and out the words came.

When she finally spoke it was his turn to relax and let the tension ease out of his shoulders. “Thank you Tish. I never imagined that our partnership would bloom into a lifelong partnership. Before I met you no one stuck with me for more than a mission or two. I truly regret having to deceive you, but when I did I assumed it was inconsequential anyway. I certainly never expected you to be around when I returned. “

He let out a chuckle and then looking inwardly he spoke quieter “No one has ever been there when I returned before. It was a new feeling.” He quietly traced his thumb over the back of her delicate hand. Admiring the contrast between her violet skin and his lighter pale tones. As their fingers laced together he let out a smile. She is beautiful. Even if the rest of the world does not see it I do. She is beautiful not only because of her looks, but because of who she is. She lives with such a burden and she carries herself with a ferocity and passion that I never had. Even when I was human I always lived such a restrictive life. She lives wild and free like a primal elemental force.

He listened to her talk about how she felt and he smiled. Shaking his head ever so slightly he corrected what she said. “I still feel emotion. It is just deeper inside me than before. Though when it comes to certain things that emotion is easier to reach. You are a special case. My emotions for you are about as close to the surface as any emotion ever will be. I think that may be why sometimes I send confusing messages. Or when the emotions come in short bursts. I am learning to access them all over again. It is like learning to talk all over”

He smiled at her word and nodded. “We all do what we must to change our fate. We are both in a better place than we were right? Even if we were presented with measurably bad choices, they were obviously better choices than staying how we were. Our power gained have allowed us to carve out a life together, to seek out our own goals, to keep each other safe. We have both paid a price sure, but for these things I think they were prices worth paying.”

He paused and frowned as she clutched the medallion, but then continued. “I never expected that my confession would cause a betrayal. I know you very well Tish.” He absently brushed a lock of raven hair behind her horn and smiled. “I wanted to tell you the truth because hiding it from you felt wrong. You are the only person in the world who I give a damn about. You deserve to know the truth.

He saw her eyes flicker brightly and her body go limp. Though he did not have the ability to astral travel, he recognized the signs well enough. He quickly took her limp body in his hands and gently cradled her in his hands. He was concerned, she had never done this before that he was away and there was some agitated conversation with the necklace previously before this happened.

He knew the rules of Astral Projection and she was safe as long as he protected her body and the dimension she went to was a direct pocket dimension. So he draped her across his lap gently and simply held her until her journey was done. There was nothing else he could do as much as the knowledge tasted like ashes in his mouth.

He was not privy to the conversation that was happening between the Deity and Tish. All he could do was stroke her face gently and wait for her to wake up. It was either something he did, or a message the God wanted to send to his disciple, either way he was not sure, but without warning the medallion around her neck lifted from between her breasts and touched him on the chest.

Unprepared and pinned beneath her body he had no way to dodge the attack. It discharged eldritch energy into his body and blasted him against the wall hard. The haphazard push did not damage Tish, but it did deposit her upon the floor. He released the stored Psychic energy in his mind while spiraling through the air to allow him to twist in the air with dexterity he normally would not have possessed. Even using a hand to vault off the floor he helped cushion the blow to the back of the wall as he prepared for it. The air rushed out of his lungs loudly and sparks danced in front of his eyes.

He didn’t have time to let his guard down or be knocked senseless, he could already sense another attack gathering energy and he was hurt badly. He wrapped his hands around the fountain of power inside his mind and formed it into a barrier of force around his body, covering himself in an invisible suit of armor. The next attack was absorbed by the armor, the wicked beam crashing into the invisible force and simply being absorbed.

The disembodied voice he had never been allowed to hear before offered an amused chuckle. “Not horrible Elan. You are quick on your feet. I can see why she likes you. Still you distract my disciple too much. Why shouldn’t I just kill you now?”

Enrick raised his hand and gathered the psychic energy, preparing to shatter the damned amulet and be done with this meddling God, then he stopped. As long as Tish was in his pocket dimension she was a bargaining chip. If he destroyed the Amulet Tish would die instantly.

”Very impressive. You know quite a bit about astral travel. You will be a useful tool as long as you no longer obstruct Nethtish’s progress. If we have to talk again I’m going to rip you apart with Eldritch Power.”

Enrick pushed himself off the wall slowly and took a few shaking steps forward. He spoke in the infernal tongue so there would be no miscommunication. “kasssh k’nilk abi kabika balhibin bahdi bo.” (The next time we talk my constructs will be gangbanging you) He spat and he heard more laughter as the presence faded. That was when he heard Tish’s frightened voice and he staggered away from the wall and collapsed next to her with a groan.

Coughing to the point that he had to mop blood away from his lips he clutched her against him. “Hey, hey. It’s okay. Your back. I’m here Tish. Everything is okay.”

Contrary to his attempt to reassure her things were not ‘Okay.’ His shirt had been all but destroyed by the Eldritch blast, his skin was blackened, and several of his ribs were obviously broken. Despite his obvious discomfort he ignored it all through force of will and clutched her tight against him. “Are you okay? Being involuntarily ripped from your body like that can do permanent damage to your psyche. Though perhaps because of the link you share with your deity there is a special circumstance, I don’t know. I just know that if a mortal tried that you could kill someone, or drive them insane. Well more insane then you already are my dearest friend.”

With a rueful laugh he kissed just in between her horns and stifled a cough. “You had me scared to death. I can’t Astral Travel. I guess I’ll have to learn how so you can’t leave me behind anymore.”

When she looked at him he shook his head. “You didn’t do this. Your Deity is just the jealous type. So I’ve added killing a God to my to do list. No big deal.”
 
Nethtish had only been to the sea on holiday once in her youth, before her father died. She often traveled near it, but never fully enjoyed the sound of crashing waves, the saltiness on the air, or the caw of seabirds. Such pleasantries were often concealed by a conscious effort to find shadows lurking in plain sight; beauty was washed away from peripheral in order to protect cargo, or people, on trade routes. So, when she came to, even though she could easily identify her own voice crying out for her companion, she consciously noted the sound of tides crashing against sandy shore, and a brief sense of nostalgia washed over her. Her vision was muted from the event, whatever it may have been: the curious meeting with her God. In all her research, in all her studies, she never read of being flung from her body to give audience to the devoted; visions, yes, voices from the void, absolutely, possibly even dreams, but to be released from the body in a spirited form was difficult for her mind to comprehend. Each detail of the event started to fade, the visage the God presented in, the Star He decimated in a blind rage, just the echoed words: “Make time for me, in your grand adventures… there is so much work I’d have you do, little one,” in a velvety, caring voice remained and played on repeat in her mind.

She blinked several times and pulled her torso off the floor, leaning heavily on one hip and steadying her weight with her arms. She scooted closer to close the awkward gap she had given herself in sitting up, then rubbed her eyes. The room had a dull white hue, ghostly figures of furniture and Enrick clouded her vision. She grunted a moment, shut her eyes tight, and opened them again. Though cloudy, she could see the damage dealt to her friend. She immediately scooted over closer to him, flinging herself off her hip so that she was kneeling over him, appraising the damage done. He assured her everything was okay.

“The Nine Hells it is…” She gently pulled what fabric was still stuck to his burnt flesh away from the wound. She knew what this was… her specialty… she frowned as thoughts flowed through her mind, endless loops of what she must have done to her friend while she was jettisoned away from the Prime Material Plane.

“Are you okay? Being involuntarily ripped from your body like that can do permanent damage to your psyche…” Enrick began, though the rest of his sentence was lost on her, in her panic.

She didn’t respond, instead, continuing her check of him, she tilted back his head slightly—palm pressed gently against the bridge of his nose, and her thumb placed against what some would call the third eye between his brow—and sat on the back of her calves, closer to eye-level, to see if one of his pupils was permanently dilated from the blow.

With a rueful laugh he kissed just in between her horns and stifled a cough. “You had me scared to death. I can’t Astral Travel. I guess I’ll have to learn how so you can’t leave me behind anymore.”

Her eyes shifted from one of his eyes to the other, then she raised an eyebrow.

“Astral Travel?” She was puzzled by the notion. She had heard of it, sure, but someone of her persuasion wasn’t known to do such things, willingly. She had heard of spells that could locate people or things, but those magics were well beyond her grasp—and if she could recall correctly, they were known as ‘scrying.’ “I don’t know what that was… but clearly… I… I…” her shoulders fell. She must have hurt him, somehow, someway: this was clearly Eldritch damage.

When she looked at him he shook his head. “You didn’t do this. Your Deity is just the jealous type. So, I’ve added killing a God to my to do list. No big deal.”

“Wait, what? The Keeper did this to you?!” She looked down at her amulet and frowned at it. “How? Why?” She shook her head in disbelief and sighed heavily. “I need to commune more… I… I’m so sorry this happened to you… This is all my fault.” Her lip quivered a moment as regret washed over her: how could she have let this happen? Her eyes fell and paused on his hand. She quickly grasped it in hers and tilted it so that she could see it better—the one he mopped the blood away from his lips with—and sighed heavily again.

“I don’t see us going anywhere today, unless we can convince a cleric to assist you…” She patted her left hip for her coin purse and pulled it off her belt. Her head remained bowed as she pulled it open and started thumbing through what little coin she did have. “We could manage it… but… can you walk?” She eyed him again, his labored breathing, his attempt to stifle coughs. She shook her head. “I don’t want to leave you to fetch someone, but I may well have to… Unless I can convince Aggie to send one of her staff for us… How do we explain this, though?”

Her brow furrowed.

“Fuck it; it’s no one’s business, anyway… Will you be okay long enough for me to attempt to wrangle someone to fetch a Cleric?” She forced herself to stand and glanced at her pack. “Actually…”

She quickly rushed over to her pack and started pulling things out, emptying it to the bottom of the main compartment, then started in on all the side pockets. With each item she pulled out, her exasperation and impatience bloomed. Things started getting tossed all over the bed, the floor, across the room. She muttered angrily at herself. “I know I have one; I always keep one for emergencies…”

Finally, she pulled out a small vial of red liquid; swirling it within its glass container, the red glimmered slightly, reflecting the light in the room. She slung herself back down onto her knees and handed it to him.

“Potion of Greater Healing… I’ll have to get a spare before we leave town, or at least a couple of the more common sort… but… take it… Please, I insist. If you need more healing, we can walk to a cleric; I have a feeling that house calls are pricier than going to the source.” She forced the vial into his hand and wrapped her hand around his so that he’d grasp it. “You can’t do me any good barely holding onto a thread, Enrick.”

She released his hand once she knew he knew how serious she was about him having her last healing potion, then she grasped her amulet, tucked it haphazardly back into her vest and stood again, collecting the things she had thrown all over the room and packing them away neatly into her bag. She eyed the coin purse she tossed in front of Enrick and sat back down in front of him, tying it back to her belt; her eyes scanning his wounds.

“I suppose we need to get you some new clothes, too…” her shoulders fell again. “Although, everyone in this town knows who and what I am, and will assume I did something to you, if they know anything at all about my abilities.”

“And how long was I gone for, anyway? Shops close up by sunset… if we dally, you know what Derval will say…” She shook her head. “This is all my fault… I’ll take the blame, and his ire if need be.”
 
She seemed to be having a hard time with sight when she first came back to the Prime. If that was the only ill effect she suffered she was damned lucky. He let out a sigh of relief and immediately regretted it. Wincing in pain was his scorched skin pulled against his bruised ribs. The urge to cough was ever present and his breathing rattled in his chest. There was some internal bleeding that had settled in his lungs for sure.

She cleared her sight and reacted to his condition with urgency “The Nine Hells it is…” she pulled his tatted shirt away from the wound to get a better look at it. He relaxed and let her continue her inspection. He knew better than to protest the ministrations. There were very few times that Tish got pushy, but when he was wounded she went to great lengths and tended to throw caution to the wind to aid him. He knew better than to bother halting her now, this was going to happen, and besides, she was an expert in working with Eldritch magics. It was better to have her expert eyes examine it to see just how bad things were, she would have a better chance of appraising the damage than anyone other than an actual healer.

“Astral Travel?” She questioned. Then she stammered out “I don’t know what that was… but clearly… I… I…” He shook his head with a smile. Gently touching her forearm as he made an attempt to sit up that ended in a fit of coughing, but he managed to make it to a better-seated position. “Your mind and spirit were forcibly removed from your body and transferred to the Astral plane. The Astral plane is one of the easiest planes of existence to travel through, it links almost every plane in existence. You can get almost anywhere from there. Not only does it support most forms of life, but you can also get to the Elemental planes, The Nine Hells, The Abyss, Celestia, Pocket dimensions. I don’t know much about the Deity you worship, but I imagine he’s not got enough juice to have a very large plane. Likely a pocket dimension.” He paused for a moment to force down a cough and then continued. “Not even a Godly feat that, I could create a pocket dimension if I gain enough power. So can arcane spellcasters of sufficient power.”

“Wait, what? The Keeper did this to you?!” She looked down at her amulet and frowned at it. “How? Why?” She shook her head in disbelief and sighed heavily. “I need to commune more… I… I’m so sorry this happened to you… This is all my fault.” Her lip quivered a moments regret washed over her: how could she have let this happen? Her eyes fell and paused on his hand. She quickly grasped it in hers and tilted it so that she could see it better—the one he mopped the blood away from his lips with—and sighed heavily again.

“How well I was holding your unconscious body and the amulet just floated and hit me straight in the chest. It flung me against the wall. I managed to use my Psychic focus to cushion the impact and avoid some of the damage, but the initial eldritch blast I was totally unprepared for and couldn’t have evaded even if I was prepared for it, I had your unconscious body in my lap. The second attack I managed to deflect.” He paused and met her gaze and let that sentence hang cold in the air. He was injured, but there was a second attack that he had completely negated. She might have woken up to worse damage, or a corpse.

He continued, squeezing her hand gently. “The why of it I believe this was a warning. He claims I am distracting you, but this was not him dealing out a punishment. This was a warning shot to stay out of his way. He told me the next time we talked he would kill me. Meaning of course if we had to talk again there wouldn’t be a talk.” Again he let it sink in for a brief moment, then continued in a wry tone with a smile. “Not wanting to be outdone I told him the next time we talked my constructs would be gangbanging him in infernal.”

“I don’t see us going anywhere today unless we can convince a cleric to assist you…” She patted her left hip for her coin purse and pulled it off her belt. Her head remained bowed as she pulled it open and started thumbing through what little coin she did have. “We could manage it… but… can you walk?”

Before he could reply a fit of coughing finally broke through and overcame him, this one was violent. He saw sparks of light flash over his eyes as he struggled between the need to cough and the need to breathe as well as the sharp sparks of pain that shot through his body from the burns and the injured ribs.

By the time he could make sense of worse again he could feel the cool glass of a potion in his hands. For a long moment, he didn’t say or do anything but just breathe deep and ragged breaths. Then he set the potion on the floor next to him. He was listening to her, but he was still gathering himself. The blood that he wiped away from his lips was not as dark as the crimson liquid of the option.

“I have clothing to spare. That is not a problem. There was no real damage to the room so we won’t have to pay Aggie for anything or explain anything. Take this back, Tish. I am more than able to walk to the temple. It will be much cheaper to go to the temple than to replace a potion. You have inspected the wound, some bruised ribs and some burns, I’m not going to die if I move. I can suppress the effects of the injury with a skill until we make it to the temple. No one will even know I am injured.”

He glanced at his pack and then to her. “You were not gone long. Less than half an hour.” He closed his eyes and seemed to gather himself. Not only did his breathing sound better, but the color of his burn looked less intense. The area around the injuries was flushed with fresh, oxygenated blood. The color returned to his face and he reached back to pull off his ruined shirt. As he moved he did so with no indication of any pain at all. He pulled off the shirt and tossed it into the flames of the small fire.

Then he got to his feet and took a poured some water from the pitcher that had been set out for them into a mug. He took a long, deep pull to of the cool liquid, then he walked toward his pack. There was some bruising on his back but it wasn’t that bad. She could see old scars, most that she had been there when he received them and she had stitched up, or helped patch. This was not the first time she had seen him without his shirt.

“Autohypnosis won’t heal me unfortunately and it only works on me, but it is very good for ignoring wounds, breaking fear and charm effects once they have taken root. It can even work if I have taken a wound that would be near fatal and leave me to bleed out. My body will automatically work to stop the bleeding, just as if you were there trying to do it. All I’m doing right now is telling my mind to ignore the pain.” He pulled out a neatly folded shirt and slid it on easily. He didn’t bother to tuck it into the top of his pants, the priest would just be taking it off shortly anyway.

He extended his hand and motioned to Tish. “Come on. Let's head out. We still need to check on the dwarf after this, unless you want to put him off until tomorrow and take the day?” He shrugged “Either way let’s head to the temple of Tempus. It is the closest, and the most likely to not balk at the sight of a Tiefling. We can go half and half on the cost, this really wasn’t your fault, but I know you feel guilty.”
 
Back
Top