What's cookin', good lookin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sadly gluten free, so the cornbread is a little hard to come by. :(

But I might have to add chicken next time I make chili!

I have a spectacular GF cornbread recipe, if you're interested. IMO it's as good, if not better, as any cornbread I've ever had. There is 1/3 c brown sugar in it, if that's an issue.

Yep. Chili is pretty darn lean and big on flavor, so true. I actually like to make chili with chicken, I just think it goes better with tomato than beef does. I just add cooked chicken at the very end just to heat it through so the chicken doesn't get dried out or stringy/tough.
And of course, homemade cornbread on the side.
Ok! Now I want chili! :)

I have some leftover chili, but it might be to far to travel.:D
I don't use any tomato though. Just beef, garlic, spices and beer basically.

Question about mushrooms

(I'll pretend I'm not talking directly to seela) :p

Hi all - I'm wondering what the best way to keep fresh mushrooms might be? It usually takes me about a week to eat a package, and by the end of the week they get iffy sometimes, and of course there is no keeping them beyond that... Anyone know how to make them last longer? Thanks!

Hi all - I'm wondering what the best way to keep fresh mushrooms might be? It usually takes me about a week to eat a package, and by the end of the week they get iffy sometimes, and of course there is no keeping them beyond that... Anyone know how to make them last longer? Thanks!

Buy fewer of them at a time. Just a thought.

Zip-lock bag, get as much of the air out as you can and store in the fridge.

Zip-lock bag, get as much of the air out as you can and store in the fridge.

I tried that, it's actually the worst method I have tried :( They seem to get slimy right away. So I added a paper towel to soak up some of the moisture. That worked better, but not fantastic. I graduated to using a paper bag, which soaks up almost all the moisture, but still looking for something better.

Tonight: Chopped sirloin patties with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, veggie medley and freshly baked bread.

I tried that, it's actually the worst method I have tried :( They seem to get slimy right away. So I added a paper towel to soak up some of the moisture. That worked better, but not fantastic. I graduated to using a paper bag, which soaks up almost all the moisture, but still looking for something better.

Tonight: Chopped sirloin patties with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, veggie medley and freshly baked bread.

You could always try cooking them all up a day or two after you've brought them home.

Fresh mushrooms are actually alive and they need to be able to breathe, so definitely don't seal them tightly in a plastic bag. Keep them in a box very lightly packed with the lid slightly open and place the box in the fridge. I like to put a couple of pieces of kitchen roll to the bottom of the box and on top of the mushrooms as well. Check them daily, if they look like they are getting too dry, you can lightly dampen the paper on top of the mushrooms, if they look like they're sweating, replace the papers on bottom and top and take the lid off entirely. They should be in a colder part of your fridge and definitely not get mushed by the lid.

How long mushrooms keep ok varies a lot. I don't use a lot of storebought mushrooms, so I'm not sure how well they keep, but a week, even two should be ok for the dense types of mushrooms. The mushrooms with softer flesh tend to go bad faster.

You can also freeze the extra mushrooms if you wish. Chop them up, place on a tray and let them freeze, then put in a bag. This messes up the texture on most mushrooms, but the taste works. A better way for most mushrooms I use is to fry them on a dry pan until they've released all of their water and then freeze. I like to have finely chopped and dry fried mushrooms in the freezer, that way I can thaw them out and add to meatballs without having to do anything to them. :)

Or you can dry the mushrooms, or you can can them, or...

Last edited:
Chilly season is chili season on this thread.

I made turkey chili, and it warded away the gloom.

Yup.
Light is slowly returning here but it's too slow. The world seems dirty somehow and in a drab way, not the fun way.
Chili does help.

Seriously? Your stores don't sell mushrooms in bulk? Or is there some other factor keeping you from buying, say, 3 ounces of fresh creminis or 2 ounces of fresh shiitake?

Yes. I buy them from a specific vendor at the farmers market, available only one day a week.

Yesterday was great. Packing up my kitchen after a month and moving it back home, so there were no meals yesterday. It's was bits of that and bites of this every hour or so all day long to use up every last bit of comestibles. Pure decadence! :)

Last edited:
Yes. I buy them from a specific vendor at the farmers market, available only one day a week.

Yesterday was great. Packing up my kitchen after a month and moving it back home, so there were no meals yesterday. It's was bits of that and bites of this every hour or so all day long to use up every last bit of comestibles. Pure decadence! :)

I see. Silly me, thinking you used grocery stores like the rest of us. ;)

We've been having minimal meals lately. I haven't done the weekly produce shopping so we're having whatever I can make with what we have. A friend had a small gathering two weekends ago and served up a veggie platter with carrots, celery, broccoli and such and at the end of the night gave me the rest because she doesn't use them in cooking. So our meals have had a lot of broccoli and I've been adding carrots and celery to just about everything.

>.< I really need to do the shopping, but the weather is so~ icky.

A week is already the maximum you can reasonably reach in a refrigerator with fresh mushrooms. I grow my own mushrooms. If you want to keep them longer, you need to process them - you can dehydrate them in the oven for 6-8 hours at 140°F or 60 °C or preserve them. You can also freeze them, but you should blanch them then.

Not cooking, but preparing...

Cucumber sandwiches. Never had them before but I had a twist of mind to try one. It wasn't bad. I think it would have been better with dill and lemon juice.

cucumber-sandwich.jpg

(not my picture but I used it as a reference)​

Broiled wild-caught sockeye salmon steaks, marinated in a mix of chipotle peppers, lemon-infused vinegar, sesame oil, Sauvignon Blanc and fresh lime, and encrusted with crushed almonds.

Mushrooms, 1 week, or dry, or blanch and freeze. Got it, thanks :)

Tonight - Tiny meatballs (round disher scoop # 100) made of chicken, beef, caramelized shallot, parm cheese and fresh bread crumbs in a mushroom cream sauce with fresh broad noodle pasta, flash pan fried calabaza squash with prosciutto, and a fresh salad. Honey dew melon. Yum!

We had caprese salad with prosciutto and olives yesterday and I wish there was some left for lunch today as I'm eating at home.
You all gave me lots of inspiration though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back