The Isolated Blurt Thread II

Dillon_Mary_Belle_And_The_Mermaid_sj.jpg

I have just enough experience in that area to know when I'm being played for a fool. Now hit me w/that shit again.

That stuff only happens when I'm here or shortly thereafter.

Like the little shitstain thinks I don't know this. :rolleyes:

Did I tell you about Mrs. K. ? Wonderful woman. Took me years to figure out she was from Poland. Her name wuz so hard for me to pronounce.

In keeping with the day, I'd like to repost a blog post I wrote a couple of years ago. I posted it on Lit some time ago, but thought I would share it again.

The Clamdigger

I wish I were a painter. I have a picture I want to paint. A vivid image in my mind that I long to share.

I wrote recently about my mother, and all the things she did to provide for our little family when I was growing up. It brought back a strong childhood memory.

I was 7 or 8. My mother was making some extra money digging clams. The thing about digging clams is that your schedule is set by the tides. If low tide is in the middle of the night, that's when you go to work on the clam flats.

My mother woke up my brother and I one night. I don't know what time it was , but it was a cold starry night. She bundled us, still in our pajamas, into our coats and hats. With sleep still in our eyes, we carried our blankets and pillows out to the car. We had an old station wagon, and we made beds in the back. I drifted off to sleep while we drove. When we got to the shore, she woke us again and told us to stay in the car, that she would be back in a while, and I went back to sleep.

I woke up some time later. My brother was still fast asleep. I had to pee, so as quietly as I could, I climbed out of the car and shut the door. The sky was beginning to lighten.

I shivered a little in my pajamas and coat, nothing on my feet but my slippers. There were some low bushes nearby, where I squatted and relieved myself. When I finished, I wandered around a little. We were parked just off the side of the road, just above a short rocky drop to the beach. I carefully climbed down, hoping to find a sand dollar or a glittery piece of sea glass on the muddy flat.

After a few minutes I decided it was too cold, and climbed back up to the road. When I reached the top, I turned and saw that sight I wish so much I could share.

The sun had broken the horizon and a band of rose colored light stretched across the bottom of the sky. Silhouetted in the light, a figure was walking slowly towards me. I watched my mother, waders to her hips, trudging back from the flats, a bucket filled with clams in one hand, her hoe and headlamp in the other. Her shoulders were slumped with fatigue, but her long hair rippled like ribbons in the wind.

Maybe the image has grown more beautiful,more magical in my memory over the years. I don't think it has, but I am alright if that's the case, because it's the way I will always see her.

I wish I could paint, so others could see it too.

Back