The Long Road Home (closed)

Sarah let out a long sigh as Shia suggested that she return to Derry or Cork. She would have loved to, but she didn't think that she could. It was too painful to think about Ireland and all that she had burned to get where she was today.

"I don't know that I could go back." She said softly, sadness clouding her voice as she looked towards Ian. "There wouldn't be anyone in a hundred miles that would welcome me back to Ireland."
 
"I would," Shia said softly. "But wherever you go... I will come, I will see that you are taken care of."

"Welcome t'the club, my friend," Ian offered him a smile.
 
Sarah let out a long sigh as she glanced towards Ian. "We're going in the wrong direction if we're heading to Ireland."
 
"We'll go wherever you go," Ian told her firmly. "If you want to go to Ireland, I'll see you there safely."

"As will I. I may not be much use for a few days, but I will protect you with my all as I always have," Shia insisted.
 
Sarah thought on that promise for a long moment. Two men that would protect her with all that they had against a world that wanted to see her dead. She wanted to tell them that they were foolish, but she bit her tongue.

"Ireland it is then." She said softly, looking out across the woods around them. "Somewhere no one can find me."
 
"I know the perfect place... if you don't mind more of my kind for neighbors," Shia offered. "They are the sister tribe to my own, all kind people, mostly werewolves."

"Is that safe?" Ian asked, and when Shia looked at him with confusion, Ian explained, "I don't know a lot about your people... but I've heard most Irish werecreatures don't like humans."

"We don't like those who treat us as if we are lesser people."

"Oh."
 
"I don't mind, Shia." She said softly, glancing towards Ian as he asked if that plan were safe. "Shia has guarded me my entire life. If he says that it's safe, then I trust his judgement."
 
"If you trust 'im, so do I."

"Then we'd all best get plenty of rest today, because tomorrow will be tough on us all with the rising winds from the west," Shia told them. "It's not a good idea to move today... there is more freezing rain coming."

"I'll make th' camp a little hardier then," Ian rose to go gather wood for the fire and building up some kind of rain- and wind-breaker.
 
Sarah watched them work as the weather turned dreary and a little bit colder. It almost seemed to reflect her mood as she retired to the original tent and settled in to wait. Her mind was full of bad thoughts, reflecting the mood that she had been in for a long time.
 
Ian eventually had to join Sarah as he just couldn't take the cold and rain. But Shia took shelter under a tree and was entirely fine. It was the greatest part of being of wolf descent with fur- warmth and no care for rain.

Morning came in intense fog, but the sun was rising in a clear sky and soon cleared most of it away, but it still kept close to the ground around one's legs. Shia awoke Sarah gently the way he always used to, by coming to her side and sitting by her, laying a hand on her arm and kissing her forehead. "Lady Sarah. We have to get going soon," he said softly, that soft voice bringing back all the lovely mornings she used to open her eyes to his kind face. He was like an older brother, sometimes even fatherly.
 
Sarah let out a soft sigh as she heard Shia's familiar voice and the touch of his hand against her arm. It reminded her of better times in Ireland when she hadn't had to worry about anything. Her eyes fluttered open and she stared up into his eyes, letting out a soft yawn.

"Alright." She said softly, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Give me a moment and I'll cook breakfast before we leave."
 
"Ian already has," Shia smiled and slipped out. As she began to waken, she could smell and hear the sizzling meat and some sort of sweet fruity scent that could only be the wild berries from the forest. Shia knew well how to live off the land.
 
Sarah let out a little sigh as Shia left the tent and she stared at the canvas above her head for a long moment, simply trying to get her wits about her. How had her life suddenly taken this turn, she asked herself as she swiped at a few errant tears that threatened to escape. She hadn't cried in pity in a long time. Inside, she simply felt cold...numb...

She pushed herself off her pallet and made her entrance to the world, taking in the scent of cooking food and her belly let out an appreciative rumble.
 
Ian was settled at the fire, keeping the food warm as he finished up the last bits, and Shia was taking it slow, packing up a few things for them as he had nothing himself but what was on his person.

The three settled down to eat, and it was quiet for a while before Ian spoke up, "You're still sure y' want t' go back to Ireland, Sarah?" He just wanted to know if she'd still rather go to France.
 
"Wherever I go doesn't matter." Sarah said softly, taking a bite from the plate that was placed in front of her. "There will be people that want to kill me either way."
 
"And we will defend you," Shia added softly. "You will know peace. I promise this."

"I'll see ya settled an' safe, Sarah, don' you worry. An' even after y'don't need me anymore, I'll protect ya as best I can."
 
"What makes you assume that I won't need you anymore?" Sarah asked out of the blue as she looked at Ian with that piercing gaze. "Perhaps I'll never let you go back to your little farm."
 
Ian looked at her with clear confusion, raising an eyebrow. "Y'were so adamant about me no' followin' you..."

Shia simply smiled to himself, knowing Sarah's liking to change her mind on a dime.
 
"I changed my mind." Sarah said simply, shrugging her shoulders as Shia laughed at her ever changing moods and thoughts.
 
"I'm guessin' I'd better get used t'that then, eh?" Ian shook his head with a chuckle.

"You should," Shia nodded.

"Well, we oughta get goin' soon. Unless y'want t'change yer mind again, Miss Sarah?" Ian grinned.
 
Sarah simply looked at Ian and she managed a small smile as he grinned at her. "I suppose that would be alright. I don't see any objection with continuing on our journey to Ireland."
 
"A'right then." Ian rose from his place to check the horses over one last time. Soon, they were on their way with Shia riding with Sarah. They stopped in a near village and Shia bought himself a horse with money that Lord Monaghan had sent him with. The journey to the west Scottish coast was only a couple days, and the ferry across the Irish Sea was simple until they landed in Downpatrick and several city guards halted them.

"Lady Sarah Monaghan," one spoke up gruffly. "Lord Stephen Monaghan requests your presence in his keep." How had her father known she was coming back? He always knew everything that Sarah didn't want him to find out.
 
Sarah stared at the guards for a long moment, mulling over her options as far as going with them were. She could go, possibly be captured and killed, or she could turn her back on her own family forever.

"Take me to him." She said softly, trusting Shia enough to not let her be killed by the guards that would escort them to her father's keep.
 
Shia was incredibly wary of the men he used to work with, and he kept Sarah between himself and Ian. It was only a day to Monaghan, and when they arrived, they saw Stephen waiting for them at the gate to the keep. His arms were crossed and he stood his thick fur cloak in the rain. But when he saw Sarah, he took a deep breath as she came and stood before him. And to everyone's surprise, he suddenly wrapped Sarah in his arms.
 
Sarah wasn't prepared to see her father outside the town gates. She most definitely wasn't prepared for the fierce hug that he wrapped her in when she approached. She stiffened for a moment before she pressed her cheek against his shoulder and hugged him back. He hadn't hugged her in so long, she thought to herself.

"I can't stay here, Da." She murmured for his ears only.
 
Back
Top