Number formatting gripe

MindsMirror

Really Experienced
Now that the new interface is the only option, having to hover over large numbers to see them is the norm. What is the point of this useless feature? How many characters are in these two versions of the number
169528 (6 characters)
169.5K (6 characters)

What's the difference? They take up nearly the same space. Why not give all of the information instead of hiding it until hovered over?

Rant off... return to your regularly scheduled reading .
-MM

Last edited:
What's the difference? They take up nearly the same space. Why not give all of the information instead of hiding it until hovered over?
Two observations - firstly, that's the way the NCP has always done it, so why is this new? Only the rounding has changed (4.5 instead of 4.50).

Secondly, some folk (I'm one) actually get more instant "information" out of the truncated numbers because I can see at a glance the quantum, whereas the whole number is actually less meaningful if there are many of them. For me it's the difference between "data" and "information" - they're not the same thing. Remember also, some writers have stories with millions of views, so I imagine they find the truncated form useful.

Still, it's a bit of a First World "problem," isn't it? :)

Two observations - firstly, that's the way the NCP has always done it, so why is this new? Only the rounding has changed (4.5 instead of 4.50).

The old control panel used to display unrounded numbers for view counts. With the new CP, they're only visible via mouseover.

This is a nuisance for transcribing story stats; used to be I could just keep my story info page open in one window and read off that while writing the numbers into a spreadsheet, now I have to keep jumping between windows to get the view counts.

Secondly, some folk (I'm one) actually get more instant "information" out of the truncated numbers because I can see at a glance the quantum, whereas the whole number is actually less meaningful if there are many of them. For me it's the difference between "data" and "information" - they're not the same thing. Remember also, some writers have stories with millions of views, so I imagine they find the truncated form useful.

Agreed that truncation can be useful, but it'd be nice if there was at least an option to switch it off.

The old control panel used to display unrounded numbers for view counts. With the new CP, they're only visible via mouseover.

This is a nuisance for transcribing story stats; used to be I could just keep my story info page open in one window and read off that while writing the numbers into a spreadsheet, now I have to keep jumping between windows to get the view counts.

If you're short on the time it takes to mouse over the views number, then you can just download the stats sheet. It isn't rounded there.

Personally, unless I have a new story up, I can take the 0.75 seconds (approximately) that's needed to mouse over the views number.

What I would wish for is for the score to be cited to thousandths, or for a mouse-over on the score to give the total number of stars voted (the latter is preferable). Either one of those would lift the 100-vote limit on being able to accurately track voting.

Agreed that truncation can be useful, but it'd be nice if there was at least an option to switch it off.
Ahh, yes, I forgot Luddites. Let me just go put another record on, let the valves warm up, and we can enjoy some good music while we contemplate progress ;).

Now that the new interface is the only option, having to hover over large numbers to see them is the norm. What is the point of this useless feature? How many characters are in these two versions of the number
169528 (6 characters)
169.5K (6 characters)

-MM

The second one is easier to read. It doesn't strain the eyes when looking at it.

The downloadable spreadsheet is a very useful tool for me.

I don't mind the ks either, though I already use them quite often.

If you're short on the time it takes to mouse over the views number, then you can just download the stats sheet. It isn't rounded there.

It's less the time than the back-and-forth mousing, which isn't friendly to my wrists. The stats sheet is a good thought though, I'll have to give that a shot.

It's less the time than the back-and-forth mousing, which isn't friendly to my wrists. The stats sheet is a good thought though, I'll have to give that a shot.

I reformatted my "views" spreadsheet so all I have to do is copy the views column from the stats sheet and transpose it into the spreadsheet. The whole process now takes a few seconds. I also reformatted my "votes" spreadsheet so I just copy part of one row from the stats sheet and paste it in. That saved a little time, and it avoided manual typos.

169528 (6 characters)
169.5K (6 characters)

-MM

The second one is easier to read. It doesn't strain the eyes when looking at it.

Unless commas are placed in long number, they are very hard to read. So...

169528 becomes 169,528 and even 169.5K is easier to read than either of the others. And as far as storage goes, it really, really cheap nowadays.

All this stuff was hashed out way back when I was but a pup in the computer science field. Study after study was done on what was the perfect number format and what text face was the easiest to read. (by the way, Times Roman 12 point, a serif font is always easier on the eye and brain than a sans serif fort, except where numbers are concerned, then you use a sans serif font)

I used to obsess on numbers. A massive 1-bombing erasing many Red-H's cured me of that. I like when I get more views-votes-faves-comments but I don't wrap my life around the numbers. Stories emerge (or don't) despite statistics.

Back