The Long Road Home (closed)

Oliver looked to Emily, straightening up just a little. "This is Daddy's job, Emily. People must be hurt for the sake of the future."

"A future of no werefolk and absolute rule of men like you," Kell growled. Oliver just smiled at that.

"More or less." Oliver and his men all moved at once, but Kell was between Sarah and Oliver before he could strike at her, and Shia snatched Emily up to keep her safe.
 
Emily screamed as everything happened all at once and Shia scooped her up to get her to safety. The sounds of her sobbing echoed down the hall of the keep as he took her to a safe place. Sarah never once flinched as Oliver came towards her, stopped only as Kell stepped between them.

"I am giving you the chance to stop this madness. Do you not care that she might hate you forever? Do her sobs not mean anything to you?" Sarah asked him.
 
"Everything I do here is for her!" Oliver snarled, clashing with Kell. Steel struck steel and rang out at a vicious pace as each matched blow for blow and parry for parry. "When you and your parents and your blasted King lie dead, Emily will be the last legitimate heir to the throne!" Everything suddenly made much more sense to Kell. Oliver was trying to take over an entire country by making his daughter a figurehead. That meant that Oliver must've been married to some cousin of King Bernard, and probably did so just to expand upon his power and plans.

"And when I have her on the throne, I'll exterminate your precious beast-men down to the last sniveling cub!" With one more strike at Kell, Oliver bolted back and his men secured his escape, four of the five managing to make it out with him.
 
Emily was related to her by blood then, Sarah thought as Oliver declared that she would be the last remaining heir when he was done. Then the fighting was over and he was running away. Sarah was fairly shaking with rage as she looked towards Kell.

"How dare he use that little girl for his own sick game." Sarah said in a voice full of fire and fury.
 
"It's always been the territory of lords and power-seekers to use their children as pawns," Kell muttered, sheathing his dagger quietly. "But now that we understand the real reason behind all this... The King cannot afford to be so uninvolved any longer when the future of his country is in danger as well as the future of a family member. Who's to say Oliver won't dispose of Emily after he secures her rule? Then he will be the last possible choice for kingship in the entire isle with all the King's relations long dead. Cavan is on that list too... I wouldn't be surprised if he was already dead."
 
"The throne is mine." Sarah said as she glanced towards Kell. "My mother is his sister and I am the closest thing to a daughter that he has. Oliver will find that he has a fight on his hands if he thinks I will let him destroy all of this so easily."

She let out a long sigh, calming herself down as Ian came to her side. "Go and tend to Emily. I'm sure that she's upset over what happened." She told Kell, dismissing him to take care of the little girl that was quickly becoming his constant companion.
 
Kell nodded once and slipped away down the hall to where Emily was in Sarin's arms with Shia close st her side. Sarin had taken a shine to the girl as she healed and would often care for her along with Shia when Kell was away. Kell stepped in and carefully scooped Emily up, hugging her close without a word.
 
Emily sobbed against Kell's shoulder, heartbroken that her father would act the way that he was. She had never seen him like this before and she was incredibly frightened. Sarin had tried her hardest to make the tears stop, but it seemed that wound cut very deeply.

"Why does he hate me?" Emily whimpered, her soft blue eyes looking up into Kell's for some kind of reassurance.
 
"I very much doubt that he hates you, Emily," Kell murmured, sitting down with the girl wrapped up securely in his arms. "His hate is for everyone and everything else, and for his plans being waylaid. I know he is your father, but we must stop him. And now you see why, firsthand."
 
Emily sniffles as Kell explained that her father didn't hate her but everyone else around them. He had always been her loving father, the man that she cared for deeply but knew that he was doing very bad things.

"Do you have to kill him?" Emily asked Kell, looking up at him with a broken and sad look on her young features.
 
"I'm afraid I must, my dear girl. But I promise you that I will not do to him what he does to others... And... well... if I can find an alternative to his death... I will stay my hand, if only for your sake. But you may never see him again," Kell murmured. He had never offered to disobey his mistress for anything, but if there was a way not to kill Colton and break Emily's heart, Kell would do all he could.
 
Emily was quiet for a long moment after that, her head resting against Kell's shoulders as she struggled to come to terms with what was happening. She had never known her mother. The woman had died long before Emily could form any memories about her. For her entire life, it had been just her and her father. Sometimes he would be gone for a long time, but he always came back with a hearty smile for her and a gift by way of an apology. He did awful, horrible things to people and she had to live with the knowledge that she shared that blood in her own veins.

"He's my father." She murmured softly, her voice trembling. "And I still care about him even if he does bad things."
 
"You know... I once said the same about my own father, Allegan Aleister... My family has been in the same profession for nearly twenty generations, right down to my grandson... Despite the things my father did, I still cared for him. And my grandson is the same to me despite how little we've ever seen one another. I understand, dear. And I promise I'll do what I can to spare your father's life."

Oliver was in hiding for the next week and the death of Lord Cavan was announced by the fourth day. The seventh, Kell was sitting in the garden with Sarah listening to her go over her defensive plans for about the tenth time trying to get everything in order. During a pause while she was shuffling papers and he was sharpening his daggers, he suddenly murmured, "I can't kill Colton, milady..."
 
Sarah paused in her work, glancing towards Kell as he announced that he couldn't kill Oliver. She had a sneaking suspicion as to why her assassin suddenly wished to go against her orders. She knew that he was growing close to Emily, treating the little girl like the daughter that he never had.

"Is this because of Emily?" Sarah asked him in a soft voice. "Oliver is a very evil person. One that doesn't deserve our mercy, Kell. He would kill us without thinking."
 
"I know that as well as anyone here. But... I promised Emily that if I could help it... I wouldn't kill Colton. I've been trying to find some alternative, but I know he'd get out of even the most heavily guarded jail cell with ease, and even if he was sent far away, he knows the world and how to manipulate it in order to get back as quickly as he pleases..." Kell set aside his dagger and sharpening stone. "Blasted man... How can men like him be allowed to have children?" But he silenced quickly, knowing that to some people, he himself was no better. He was father to one of the most ruthless assassins in the world and grandfather to a cub who'd be forced down the same path.
 
Sarah watched as Kell tried to explain, stopping short of admitting that he himself had been like Oliver. Sarah sighed and set aside her papers, reaching out to take Kell's hand in her own and squeezing it gently.

"The difference between yourself and Oliver is that you have a conscience. You see that Emily is hurting because of everything that is happening. Oliver never will." Sarah said softly. "I do trust your judgement, Kell. If you believe that you can do away with him without killing him, I will have to trust that you do that to the best of your abilities."

She was quiet for a moment as she considered the future after that. "What will you do with Emily after you have dealt with Oliver?"
 
"Depending on the condition of Colton's defeat and whether or not she can still stand the sight of me... I had hoped I could ask her if she would like me to adopt her. But if she won't have me, or of course if you won't allow it... I hoped Shia and Sarin, or maybe some good parents among the werefolk clan or town might welcome her. It would be her choice, but I certainly can't return her to her home town and she doesn't have any living relatives save yourself and King Bernard."
 
"I would never deny a little girl the chance to be happy. If she's happy with you, you have my blessing to seek an adoption." Sarah said, a little stunned that Kell was that attached to Emily. "I think you'll be surprised when everything is said and done. Emily cares about you deeply."

She knew that Kell had a lot of demons that haunted him. He had done horrible things for his job but he did have a heart. Adopting Emily might be his chance to cleanse his soul of all of those horrible memories and deeds.
 
"I suppose where legality is concerned... I'll have to request the adoption from King Bernard. He'd be her legal guardian when Oliver is gone. But if you were to support me... perhaps he would accept." Kell sheathed his blade and put away the stone before rising. "I have never requested anything of you, milady. But... I hope my service merits your help in convincing the king of my good intentions. I doubt he'd trust me otherwise." He had bowed his head humbly. He'd always been like this with her, never asking for help or reward, and never acting as if he deserved anything for his loyalty. Even at her most angry and least caring, he'd remained at her side.
 
"I will make sure that the both of you are taken care of." Sarah said softly, an idea already turning in her head. "That is my promise to you, Kell. For all of your service to me in Scotland and here in Ireland, I will make sure that you will never have to want for anything."

Later that evening as she and Ian sat down for a private meal in the garden, Sarah had full thought through her plans. "What do you think of Kell living in your little house and tending to your lands? He wants to adopt Emily when this is all over. I think it would be the perfect place for the both of them to live and heal."
 
Ian paused, looking at Sarah at her suggestion. He still didn't like Kell at all, but he was beginning to trust that the Wolf was truly loyal to Sarah. "I... Well, it'd be good for them, wouldn' it? I don't see why not, really. Kell seems like he'd keep it well."
 
"I know you have trouble liking him." Sarah said as she looked across the small table at Ian. "He is the most loyal subject that I have. I would trust him with your life, which means much more to me than my own."

She knew that she couldn't simply ask Ian to change his opinions of a person just because she liked them and he did not. She loved Ian with all of her heart, but she was protected by Kell. He did his job without complaint and was professional to a fault.
 
"I trust him, I do. But that doesn't mean I like him. I admire 'is loyalty and I'm grateful 'e's loyal t'you above all else. I jus' have a hard time getting over what 'is job is. But it's hard to hate 'im because 'e doesn't enjoy his job, he only enjoys servin' you."
 
"I think when he is done with this task, he will stop what he's doing." Sarah said as Ian explained what his feelings were towards Kell. "He does care for Emily greatly and wants to keep her protected, safe, and happy. I think it would be good for the both of them. Then you know that your farm will be well taken care of."
 
"I don' think you could ever stop 'im bein' your protector. He loves you as much as Shia does, but in a different way." Ian reached across to lay his hand across hers. "And I 'ave to admit I feel better knowin' he's around t'protect you. Especially now tha' Oliver's ragin' mad enough t' steal Cavan County an' likely makin' plans t'come at us with all 'e's got."
 
Back
Top