Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just have your lines cleaned once a year and you should be able to leave the tree, maybe more than once if the roots grow aggressively. Glad you figured it out. :)

The plumbers who came out yesterday said there might be a problem with the roots closer to the house, so we'll have to see. The problem last night was actually out towards the sidewalk, on the far side of the front lawn from the house. We have a large tree in the middle of the front yard (and two others as well), and all of them are probably 30-40 years old (as old as our neighborhood). I'd hate to cut it down, although OTOH, it'd be a lot fewer leaves come fall.

I've noticed a number of front yards in the neighborhood over the last few years where people got rid of trees. Some may have simply been old and/or dying, but I can't help but think some were because of things like this.

Determined blighters, aren't they ?

Indeed. :)

The plumbers who came out yesterday said there might be a problem with the roots closer to the house, so we'll have to see. The problem last night was actually out towards the sidewalk, on the far side of the front lawn from the house. We have a large tree in the middle of the front yard (and two others as well), and all of them are probably 30-40 years old (as old as our neighborhood). I'd hate to cut it down, although OTOH, it'd be a lot fewer leaves come fall.

I've noticed a number of front yards in the neighborhood over the last few years where people got rid of trees. Some may have simply been old and/or dying, but I can't help but think some were because of things like this.

Indeed. :)

Another consideration is shade. Check and see how much they shade the house in the heat of the afternoon. Getting rid of them might play hell with your electric bill during the summer.

Another consideration is shade. Check and see how much they shade the house in the heat of the afternoon. Getting rid of them might play hell with your electric bill during the summer.

Our house already seems to hold the heat, especially the living room which is in the front, regardless of having the trees. I don't think it'd make a lot of difference, honestly. And even if it did, we might have to weight that against potential house damage from the roots.

Out of any trees we might need to get rid of (and I'd rather not right now, in part because of the expense), the one in the backyard probably takes precedence. It's closer to the house.

Tree roots can be trimmed; provide you know where.
There's a rule locally that if the Electricity or Gas people what to do things with the underground routes, they have to get special permission if the root they want to cut is thicker than 5 inches; and it takes an expert tree surgeon to sort that out (for a given type of tree).

Last edited:
This morning I dreamed that an older Italian woman was trying to climb into my second story office window. Reflexively I shouted, "What the fuck are you doing?" while throwing a water bottle right over her head. This startled her so much she fell back out the window and her scream sounded like she fell ten floors instead of one, followed by the thump of her body hitting the ground hard. I woke up scared shitless from that.

After falling back asleep I also dreamed that I was at the airport trying to check into a flight to Vegas when I didn't have a boarding pass, my jack, or any luggage...

I didn't sleep well last night...

This morning I dreamed that an older Italian woman was trying to climb into my second story office window. Reflexively I shouted, "What the fuck are you doing?" while throwing a water bottle right over her head. This startled her so much she fell back out the window and her scream sounded like she fell ten floors instead of one, followed by the thump of her body hitting the ground hard. I woke up scared shitless from that.

After falling back asleep I also dreamed that I was at the airport trying to check into a flight to Vegas when I didn't have a boarding pass, my jack, or any luggage...

I didn't sleep well last night...

You and me both. My dream was that I was hanging out with the Mythbusters during the zombie apocalypse. Then at another point I was on horseback trying to make it across the state before nightfall.

You guys need to have a serious think about what you eat or drink in the evening, I reckon.
:)

Sorry for the nightmares, guys. :( Hope you don't have any tonight.

Had an interesting exercise last night. PennBoy was asking me about writing, and we talked a bit, and I explained how I'd originally had the idea for one of my stories, but it had taken a long time before I found the framework and could then write it. It involved a vampire and a witch, and he wanted to read it.

So I spent time last night editing to make it as kid-friendly as possible (he's 10). I removed all the "kissing stuff." ;) This also allowed me to play around with Mac's Pages app, and I was pleased to find out you can export to ePub format. I'll be curious to see what he thinks; this will be one of the few stories he's read, I think, that is not YA fiction and centered on kids. It's on his Nook, so now I guess I just wait....

Sorry for the nightmares, guys. :( Hope you don't have any tonight.

Had an interesting exercise last night. PennBoy was asking me about writing, and we talked a bit, and I explained how I'd originally had the idea for one of my stories, but it had taken a long time before I found the framework and could then write it. It involved a vampire and a witch, and he wanted to read it.

So I spent time last night editing to make it as kid-friendly as possible (he's 10). I removed all the "kissing stuff." ;) This also allowed me to play around with Mac's Pages app, and I was pleased to find out you can export to ePub format. I'll be curious to see what he thinks; this will be one of the few stories he's read, I think, that is not YA fiction and centered on kids. It's on his Nook, so now I guess I just wait....

Thanks. I'm just hoping to not be waking up every two hours tonight.

That's really awesome what you did for PennBoy. Was he mainly interested in Mom's writing background or was he interested in writing short stories of his own?

Weird dreams again, but nothing memorable. Slept better, but not nearly as long as I would have preferred.

Also, it took me over an hour to make the narmally 20 minute drive to my poker game last night. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'm just hoping to not be waking up every two hours tonight.

That's really awesome what you did for PennBoy. Was he mainly interested in Mom's writing background or was he interested in writing short stories of his own?

How'd you sleep?

I think he was interested in both. He's been reading some fan fiction for one of the series he likes and said he might want to write one of his on fan fics on that. So he was asking sort of how one writes.

For my stories, as a 10yo boy, he of course doesn't have much interest in the romance and obviously the explicit scenes are inappropriate. So I took out those scenes, and lightened up on a few other things. I hope he likes it, but I don't exactly expect him to.

How'd you sleep?

I think he was interested in both. He's been reading some fan fiction for one of the series he likes and said he might want to write one of his on fan fics on that. So he was asking sort of how one writes.

For my stories, as a 10yo boy, he of course doesn't have much interest in the romance and obviously the explicit scenes are inappropriate. So I took out those scenes, and lightened up on a few other things. I hope he likes it, but I don't exactly expect him to.

I don't remember anything from my dream last night, so I can assume it was not a nightmare. I guess that's progress. I slept decently even though I didn't get to bed until late.

We yeah, of course you hide the romantic and kissy kissy stuff. :rolleyes: Actually, some of my family knows I publish stories on Lit, happy with the good reviews I've been getting. But, they won't read the naughty versions. So I'm trying to figure out when I would have the time to create a clean version.

But that's super cool that he's getting inspired by fan fiction.

Well, the gadget works, but not as well as I think it should.
Oh Drat; and double Drat!

I don't remember anything from my dream last night, so I can assume it was not a nightmare. I guess that's progress. I slept decently even though I didn't get to bed until late.

Sounds like an improvement to me. :)

We yeah, of course you hide the romantic and kissy kissy stuff. :rolleyes: Actually, some of my family knows I publish stories on Lit, happy with the good reviews I've been getting. But, they won't read the naughty versions. So I'm trying to figure out when I would have the time to create a clean version.

But that's super cool that he's getting inspired by fan fiction.

My son has next to no tolerance for kissy stuff. It's pretty hilarious when we watch movies and he's there saying, "No! No kissing! Aarrrgghhh!" He covers his eyes, the whole bit. It's entertaining sometimes, and annoying at others, but that's okay.

He knows I write stories, and he knows they are "romantic," which leads to the question, "Geez, Mom, why do you have to write romances?" :) When he was little I made some children's books for him, and my daughter is always pressing me to make up a story at bedtime about fairies. In addition to the stuff I want to write for me, I have ideas for those types of stories too. Just not enough time.

I'm pleased he wants to write, too, and will encourage it as best I can. I think he'll find, though, that's tougher and more time-consuming than you expect, so I won't be surprised if his enthusiasm wanes.

We've had this letter from the Society for the Protection of Dragons. . . .

LOL I think any dragons would be good ones. He's quite taken with stories like "Eragon," Chris D'Lacey's series ("The Fire Within"), and "Dragonsdale," where the dragons are friendly. I'm still trying to figure out a plot. I suppose it'd be a quest type of thing; he likes those.

LOL I think any dragons would be good ones. He's quite taken with stories like "Eragon," Chris D'Lacey's series ("The Fire Within"), and "Dragonsdale," where the dragons are friendly. I'm still trying to figure out a plot. I suppose it'd be a quest type of thing; he likes those.

For more years than I care to think of, I have reckoned that the Dragon gets a bad deal.
Drawn with 'evil' intent writ large on the face, take the Disney dragon, for example.
What many artists fail to realise is that a Dragon, much like an Angel, is actually a 6-limbed creature, which can make illustration somewhat difficult.

And I like Eragon.
And the Legend of Huma (interesting, this one; the dragon transmogrifies into a woman)

More weird dreams, though I don't remember them fully. Last night I stuffed myself with Doritos while watching UFC though, so that might have had something to do with that. I haven't been sleeping well though, aside from the dreams. I just feel tired all week...

More weird dreams, though I don't remember them fully. Last night I stuffed myself with Doritos while watching UFC though, so that might have had something to do with that. I haven't been sleeping well though, aside from the dreams. I just feel tired all week...

Have you considered talking to your Doctor ?
Is it time to examine the stuff you eat & drink? For example, we had a time in the UK when "E number", chemicals added to drinks, were reckoned to be the source of several problems in people.

Good Luck, TGP.
:)

I am beginning to wonder if half of the people on the roads have real drivers licenses.

I am beginning to wonder if half of the people on the roads have real drivers licenses.

Probably not. :rolleyes: I honestly think that race driving school should be required for a license so people will actually understand the concept of car control.

LOL you and I should start a dream analysis thread on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back