Comments

T
It never occurred to me that you couldn't reply. And I can't imagine anyone wants to use email- I don't even have an email account linked to my account, I don't think. Like another user pointed out, it's cumbersome.

I was honestly just hoping that you guys knew something I didn't! I'm bad to overlook things.
You need an email address to register an account name at Literotica, so you will have one linked to your account. And a lot of folk do go "off-Lit" and use email for communication.

You can choose to be notified every time there is activity (like a comment being left), and any feedback you receive (not comments, someone contacting you through Feedback - if you have it enabled) will be sent to the registered email address. Someone sending feedback can choose to include their own email addy, if they want a reply.

But a sophisticated comment/response trail? No, not here - it's an old-school operating system held together with sticky-tape and string, with no bells and whistles. It's quite endearing, once you get used to it.

Sorry, I don't get it. I don't get that an author replying to a comment put on his/her story is doing something different or being "coded" differently by putting a responding comment on the same story. And I don't see why responding to a comment right where it originally was made isn't a direct response.

Someone puts a comment on your story. You directly reply by referencing what comment you are responding to either in your comment head or the body of your comment. You have directly replied to the comment where it was originally made. I don't get what the issue of that is. That's the most direct place to respond to a comment on your story--putting your response in the same comment stream. I have done this. What's the problem with that? Why isn't that direct response? Maybe it doesn't work on some device other than a computer interface, but that would be a technical problem by someone trying to something more fancy than a basic computer--and it doesn't affect writers like me who do this only on a computer. It looks to me like someone is trying to make something complicated out of something that's simple--and direct.

Often when someone gets their nose up when they've asked a question and someone's taken the time to try to answer it, they either don't like the answer or they are butthurt about something unrelated to that question. Either case, they are the ones wanting the help and those trying to seriously respond to the question are taking their time and effort to do so. They don't deserve to be shat upon by the OP nor is it legitimate for someone else who is butthurt over something else altogether to drop in on the thread attack for nonrelated reasons.

Traffic at Literotica is, I believe, higher than at most or all the other erotic story websites. Your story probably will have more readers here than elsewhere. Since trying to reach an audience with my stories is one of my main goals, I like knowing that my stories are getting readers even if the great majority of them will never comment. I can infer the overall level of approval by the comments, favorites, and votes I get.

I will post a comment to my own story to reply to reader comments in certain ways, such as to thank everybody in general for commenting on my story, or to provide an update on when another chapter is coming (although I should stop doing this because I'm always wrong and it irks some readers), and replying if someone has made a statement or allegation about my story that is incorrect and that I want to be corrected publicly.

It's nice to see that people want to reply personally to comments where they can. I think every little bit helps encourage readers to be engaged.

One way to encourage interaction between authors and readers would be to give authors the option of having a blog page. Has anyone ever discussed that? It would be a great way to enhance author-reader interaction. It would provide a central place for fans (or critics -- I guess we have to keep them in mind too) of certain authors to go to interact with them. It would provide a platform where authors could promote themselves. I suppose it would make the site more cumbersome to manage.

See, we have two different reasons for posting. Yours is to attract a wide audience and mine is to learn how to write. If I don't get feedback there's no point in me posting, because all 'high traffic' would mean for me is that people read a bad story from a stagnant author who has no idea how to grow because readers won't tell him.

A million people could read it and it wouldn't make it any better. I don't think a blog would really help with that either? I think the best thing would just be to change the code so we can reply to comments.

You can already get a blog all over the internet and link it to Lit if you wanted to- I'm pretty sure that there's a place in the profile to do that. You can just go get a wordpress or tumblr or some other easy-to-use blog. I've used both of those and really recommend wordpress- it's free and you don't have to code at all if you don't want to. They've got a bunch of templates so you can make your site look like anything. Wordpress.com is free, but you can also pay to host it and then you can put ads on it and maybe make money. I don't know how much you would make, though. I've never used the paid one.

I'm actually trying to keep my erotic work on the down low. It's subject matter isn't exactly stuff that I can have getting linked back to me, IRL. I don't want a lot of exposure, I just want to improve.

You need an email address to register an account name at Literotica, so you will have one linked to your account. And a lot of folk do go "off-Lit" and use email for communication.

Yes, you do need an e-mail address but apparently it can be a fake one. About a third of the comments I receive by e-mail--even ones asking specific questions that seem to be begging an answer--get kicked back as not a functioning e-mail address. In my attempt to be fully comprehensive in my original response to TriadWriter I tried to make this observation.

Yes, you do need an e-mail address but apparently it can be a fake one. About a third of the comments I receive by e-mail--even ones asking specific questions that seem to be begging an answer--get kicked back as not a functioning e-mail address. In my attempt to be fully comprehensive in my original response to TriadWriter I tried to make this observation.

The e-mail used to register had to be legit in order to complete registration as lit sends a verification e-mail. So either they delete the e-mail afterwards(not sure how to delete one the sites try to make it difficult) or maybe if there is no activity in a certain amount of time it shuts down?

I know a lot of people create an e-mail just for a site like this so its not their main account to be traced to them(or a snooping spouse s/o). Authors want e-mails from here in the form of feedback, the people who come here just to post and read don't care.

Sorry, I don't get it. I don't get that an author replying to a comment put on his/her story is doing something different or being "coded" differently by putting a responding comment on the same story. And I don't see why responding to a comment right where it originally was made isn't a direct response.

Someone puts a comment on your story. You directly reply by referencing what comment you are responding to either in your comment head or the body of your comment. You have directly replied to the comment where it was originally made. I don't get what the issue of that is. That's the most direct place to respond to a comment on your story--putting your response in the same comment stream. I have done this. What's the problem with that? Why isn't that direct response? Maybe it doesn't work on some device other than a computer interface, but that would be a technical problem by someone trying to something more fancy than a basic computer--and it doesn't affect writers like me who do this only on a computer. It looks to me like someone is trying to make something complicated out of something that's simple--and direct.

Often when someone gets their nose up when they've asked a question and someone's taken the time to try to answer it, they either don't like the answer or they are butthurt about something unrelated to that question. Either case, they are the ones wanting the help and those trying to seriously respond to the question are taking their time and effort to do so. They don't deserve to be shat upon by the OP nor is it legitimate for someone else who is butthurt over something else altogether to drop in on the thread attack for nonrelated reasons.

You're using the terminology wrong, because you say that you honestly just genuinely don't understand it. We're not used to people not understanding it, so to us it seem trolly. Probably because you're older than we are, so what doesn't seem like a big deal to you, because you grew up with it and are used to it, seems like a massive oversight to us, because we grew up with the easier, better system.

The difference is that a "reply" is a real word with a real meaning. When you reply to a parent comment, it makes a new comment thread. Lit doesn't do that (because, as the user above you explained, it has an older interface). That means that you CAN'T reply to comments. That's what I was asking- not if I can post a new comment. So your reply is actually off-topic.

But to YOU, a reply just means, "Putting out a comment they can see" (from what I understand? I might be wrong but I think that's what you're trying to say.) To us, that's a New Comment. Not a reply. Because that's what those terms actually mean, in this day and age. But not in your day. We're using the same terms to mean different things- and therefore not understanding each other.

Unless you really DO know, and you're being frustrating on purpose. Which is how I think the other user felt.

Again, look at my diagram I tried to make, because I don't want to retype it. It keeps the comments streamlined, and the user will always know that they've been directly replied to. They don't have to wade through new comments posted in chronological order- it'll be right there, a "child" of their "parent" comment. That's a reply. Just making a new comment with their name @ed or whatever is a new comment, not a reply.

The e-mail used to register had to be legit in order to complete registration as lit sends a verification e-mail. So either they delete the e-mail afterwards(not sure how to delete one the sites try to make it difficult) or maybe if there is no activity in a certain amount of time it shuts down?

I know a lot of people create an e-mail just for a site like this so its not their main account to be traced to them(or a snooping spouse s/o). Authors want e-mails from here in the form of feedback, the people who come here just to post and read don't care.

Yeah, I think a lot of people use email bots that delete after like 24 hours. That might have been what I did. I can't imagine ever emailing a user. What, are we at work? Are we on an inner-office-intranet? This is the year of our lord 2018. We IM or use comment threads.

You're using the terminology wrong, because you say that you honestly just genuinely don't understand it. We're not used to people not understanding it, so to us it seem trolly. Probably because you're older than we are, so what doesn't seem like a big deal to you, because you grew up with it and are used to it, seems like a massive oversight to us, because we grew up with the easier, better system.

The difference is that a "reply" is a real word with a real meaning. When you reply to a parent comment, it makes a new comment thread. Lit doesn't do that (because, as the user above you explained, it has an older interface). That means that you CAN'T reply to comments. That's what I was asking- not if I can post a new comment. So your reply is actually off-topic.

But to YOU, a reply just means, "Putting out a comment they can see" (from what I understand? I might be wrong but I think that's what you're trying to say.) To us, that's a New Comment. Not a reply. Because that's what those terms actually mean, in this day and age. But not in your day. We're using the same terms to mean different things- and therefore not understanding each other.

Unless you really DO know, and you're being frustrating on purpose. Which is how I think the other user felt.

Again, look at my diagram I tried to make, because I don't want to retype it. It keeps the comments streamlined, and the user will always know that they've been directly replied to. They don't have to wade through new comments posted in chronological order- it'll be right there, a "child" of their "parent" comment. That's a reply. Just making a new comment with their name @ed or whatever is a new comment, not a reply.

So what you're saying is reply to comments in the way that you do on twitter where it then becomes its own thread?

You don't have to read the story. Just go to the story comments. A reader asked a question in a story comment. I responded in the same story comment section. This was a direct response to the comment in the same place the comment was given and no coding or anything else prevented it from happening. It was done. I did it. What is the issue with that?

And why when I noted that this direct response mechanism works did this become a federal case of a possibly nasty response to the OP?

https://www.literotica.com/s/escaping-the-lighthouse?page=3

Last edited:
So what you're saying is reply to comments in the way that you do on twitter where it then becomes its own thread?

Or facebook, or AO3, or like... every other site on the internet. But yes, similar to that. I just assumed there was a way to reply and thought yhall would know how. But I guess there's not.

I have no idea why Triadwriter pulled out. I do very much know why Awkward is choosing to attack me. I don't see why the DIRECT response to a comment posted to a story isn't an answer directly in the comment section where the original comment was posted. If there are some forms of hooking into Lit. that don't permit an author to put comments on his/her own story, I know nothing about that. I only use the computer. My response was in good faith to respond to the question. Awkward isn't going to drive me off the discussion board. I don't attack her this way.

This is what the user was talking about. See how I'm commenting directly to you and not just replying in the text box at the bottom of the page? Like Facebook, Youtube, Reddit. Which creates a threaded sub topic, instead of everything flatplane- which is how most forums are. Comment sections are usually a threaded view. That is what they were talking about. You can comment in the comment section, but it's not a direct reply, where you can comment to one reply without throwing off the rest of the comments.

You don't have to read the story. Just go to the story comments. A reader asked a question in a story comment. I responded in the same story comment section. This was a direct response to the comment in the same place the comment was given and no coding or anything else prevented it from happening. It was done. I did it. What is the issue with that?

I think I get what the OP is saying. On social media if you comment on a photo or video or post and someone replies to that it becomes its own thread within a thread so....you would see me comment "That pic reminds me of..." then you'd see x-amount of replies to me as in a number, but you'd have to click to see the comments, meanwhile the original comment thread goes on...so its like separate conversions within the main thread.

I think...I'm not exactly up to speed with this stuff.

See, you have to understand how infuriating this is getting. Like... if you don't understand what I'm asking you don't have the answer.

Again, on Lit, there is NO WAY to reply to comments. You can ONLY create new comments. I asked and it was answered. We don't need to keep doing this dance. Replies and new comments are different things. A reply turns the original comment into a parent command and acts as a child command to start a new thread. A new comment is what you're talking about, and have been talking about, and KEEP talking about.

Or facebook, or AO3, or like... every other site on the internet. But yes, similar to that. I just assumed there was a way to reply and thought yhall would know how. But I guess there's not.

There's not. Only thing you can do is "@" someone.

If someone titled their comment "You suck" you can title yours "@ you suck" or if they have a user name "@lovecraft68" and of course no guarantee they come back to look

Maybe so, but none of that is in the OP post. I responded to what was actually asked in the OP post.

Implication of "leave a comment" is that it was put in the comments field of the story. The direct way to reply to such a comment is to post your own comment to the same comment field, and that's what I answered. I answered the question actually asked. There's nothing in the OP about the greater social media world.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but none of that is in the OP post. I responded to what was actually asked in the OP post.

You did, but they were asking in the context of thinking this worked in a different manner than it does.

I think I get what the OP is saying. On social media if you comment on a photo or video or post and someone replies to that it becomes its own thread within a thread so....you would see me comment "That pic reminds me of..." then you'd see x-amount of replies to me as in a number, but you'd have to click to see the comments, meanwhile the original comment thread goes on...so its like separate conversions within the main thread.

I think...I'm not exactly up to speed with this stuff.

Yes. Those are replies. That's what I was asking. The answer was "no". Asked and answered.

Yes, it explicitly was. This is what I mean. This is why this feels like trolling. You told me how to make a new comment. I asked how to reply or respond. You keep acting like those are the same thing, when they are NOT. And there's no reason for you to think that they are. And it's such a simple concept that it's starting to make me want to pull my hair out to have you keep pushing it.

The answer was "no" to my question. I am the OP. I know what I said.

Implication of "leave a comment" is that it was put in the comments field of the story. The direct way to reply to such a comment is to post your own comment to the same comment field, and that's what I answered. I answered the question actually asked. There's nothing in the OP about the greater social media world.

THAT'S NOT A DIRECT REPLY. WORDS MEAN THINGS.

Edit: Oh my god. You know what? I'm not quitting the site, but he's run me out of my own thread. It's not worth it. I'm not going to keep arguing with someone who is just trying to be an ass for no reason.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked- if it has, I can't find it.

I was wondering if there was a way to reply to comments? On other sites when someone leaves a comment I always reply to thank them. I can't find a reply button, but I'm really bad to overlook stuff.

Here's word for word what I said. Did I ask how to make a new comment? Which you explained how to do several times- or did I ask how to reply to a comment?

Yes. Reddit does this, so does facebook and youtube. Imagine if you will, that all the quoted comments to Pilot were in their own lil subthread versus filling up the main thread typically how most messageboards work(excluding Reddit).

For starters, I was responding to TriadWriter's question, but no, in fact the only explicit part of your OP was what you actually posted. And what I answered to TriadWriter was a good answer to what you posted as well. You posted nothing of a social media network outside of the story comment function on the stories right here on Literotica.

Incidentally, "I know what I wrote" is in the top five fallacious statements writers make when editors point out that, no, you didn't actually write what you thought you did.

Last edited:
No, nothing other than was actually asked is explicit in your OP. And this feels like you are trolling me. A writer thinking they know what they wrote and not actually have written what they thought they wrote is a basic reality of the writing world. A response to a comment most certainly is a reply or response regardless of it being a new comment.

No worries, though. Next time I'll just assume that you're asking something other you actually asked and I won't waste my time trying to help you with what you actually asked.

I LITERALLY ASKED HOW TO REPLY TO A COMMENT AND YOU TOLD ME HOW TO MAKE A NEW COMMENT.

Yes. Reddit does this, so does facebook and youtube. Imagine if you will, that all the quoted comments to Pilot were in their own lil subthread versus filling up the main thread typically how most messageboards work(excluding Reddit).

Also, do you see how this is better? How the main thread would then be answers to my ACTUAL question- but there would be a subthread of trying to explain what terms mean to someone that you could read if you wanted, but wouldn't HAVE to.

I LITERALLY ASKED HOW TO REPLY TO A COMMENT AND YOU TOLD ME HOW TO MAKE A NEW COMMENT.

Last time. A new comment can be a reply to a comment. the content of it tells you whether it is or not. Are you a native English speaker?

Back