The Raiders of the Scarlet Sails (IC)

“Captain Isabelle … but everyone calls me, Red” She told the half-elf, as she shook his hand. “And this is my pet lizard, Lennix” She said nodding towards the ever present lizard on her shoulder. The lizard just stuck his forked tongue out at Luca, tasting the air. Red then gestured towards Nya. “Nya is our sail master.”

“Pleased to meet you” Nya answered back while she shook Luca’s hand. She had been tempted to use one of her tentacles, to freak the half-elf out, but did not want to run counter to whatever, scheme Red had going on. Nya suspected, more like knew, the Captain was up to something.

“Please ask the ship’s officers to assemble in the wardroom … to include Blade.” Red ordered, as she looked up to the crow’s nest a small frown on her face.

“Aye, Aye, Captain!” Nya said and hurried to inform every one of the Captain’s request. Meanwhile Red, showed Captain Luca the way to the wardroom. On the way, she told Luca, “If we seem a bit jumpy, we recently had an attempted mutiny. The mutineers were subdued and sent ashore via one of our long boats. You may have noticed the empty davits on our port side.” Red explained.

As they entered the wardroom, someone had already set the table and the fresh fruit was pilled up in a bowl. Red continued to talk. “Perhaps you wish to use the davits to pull your craft from the water and make repairs? I’m afraid we have no carpenter onboard to assist you. We lost him, the ship’s doctor and quartermaster during the mutiny.” Red told Luca.

Jura was the first officer to arrive in the wardroom. His massive minotaur body almost plugging up the hatch, but he squeezed himself into the room. His eyes fell on the half-elf “Fresh Half-elf! … YUMMY!” He grunted in pleasure, and licked his mouth.

“Jura!” Red said quietly but firmly. “First lesson, in being a good creature. Don’t eat intelligent beings, unless … well … unless they are evil. This half-elf has done nothing to you, so you can’t eat him.” Red explained.

Jura looked at the busty redhead Captain “But half-elves taste best when their blood is still warm!”

“Jura!” Red warned the black dragon minotaur.

“GRRRR … I understand … you “good” people eat beef. They are intelligent and not evil … but you eat them?” Jura pointed out.

“Well …you see … steers are not intelligent …” Red started to explain.

“I’m half bull … I’m not intelligent?” Jura protested, slightly hurt by her words.

“No … you are very smart. Let’s continue this discussion later. Please say hi to Captain Luca and shake his hand … GENTLY” She stressed. Red turned to Luca and quickly said “Jura, is our Master gunner’s mate … he is in training to be a “good” creature. He is sorry for his comment about eating you.”

“Sorry” Jura said as he stuck his big hand out to shake Luca’s.
 
Blade

He watched the whole meeting and even though he was sure that Red had good taste most of the time, his sharp eyes did not miss the fact that the half-elf whom she admitted on-board, was not all he wanted them to be. He had seen the horns and now the creature seem to looked different, most likely some sort of spell. That one would have to be watched. He knew that he was under surveillance as well, but he was not bothered, he was not a threat to Red and that was it.

The call came for him to join the other officers in the wardroom, with a grumble of discontent he agilely made his way down to the deck, checked that his daggers was in place and walked to the wardroom where he found Red, the new-comer and Jura. On first glance the huge minotaur half-ling seemed ready to devour the half-elf, with the hungry look in his eyes and his hand stretched out. Blade grinned and sat down in a chair, "Welcome aboard captain."
 
Amlugeth was strolling around town when she saw Jabnil. She was a very unusual person. She didn't seem to realize that her type of clothing was way too revealing for this type of town, either that or she just didn't care. Either way Amlugeth knew there was something different about her since watching her last night and realizing she wasn't getting drunk because she was healing herself magically. She decided to follow her at a distance to see what she was up to today. She saw one of the local pirates approach Jabnil and talk her into playing a game with his friends. Amlugeth had a feeling this may not be a good thing so continued to follow. They started to play nine pin and then two of the men went to grab something out of the river, probably some rum. Next thing she knew the men were jerked into the river and Jabnil jumped in after them, pulling two knives out as she hit the water. Amlugeth was shocked and amazed when Jabnil came out of the river and saved the two men and then took all three men behind the building to "help them with their problem". This was definitely a person she would have to get to know a little better and figure out what her story was. With someone like Jabnil on her side she wouldn't have to worry so much about dying, just whether Jabnil would be too busy fucking someone in order to save her!

Amlugeth saw Jabnil head to the steward's home and decided to go check out the market to see if any new ships were expected to dock soon. She had been walking around and not really paying attention when she suddenly bumped into someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, are you..... oh, it is you!" Amlugeth said when she realized that the person she bumped into was Jabnil. "You are new to town, but I saw you at the bar last night. Are you here visiting someone?"
 
Jabnil meets Amlugeth

The small open air market had a lot more things for sale than Jabnil first thought. There was clothing and food, but there were also a lot of weapons, and some magical items and potions. She could also tell some of the items were illegal and some of the merchants were a bit shady. One of them tried to sell her shoddy products. She also got the impression many of these merchants were here to avoid the scrutiny of the trade guilds in a larger towns.

Nevertheless, she was having fun shopping. She had already bought a white cloak, some leather leggings and matching corset and some excellent tall black boots. She presently had two cloaks in her hands, a silver one and a golden one. She had been holding them up, trying to decide which to buy, when someone bumped into her from behind. She turned around to see an elf with red hair staring at her. The staring part she was use to by now. Seemed everyone stared at her. The elf asked her if she was visiting someone in town.

“No” Jabnil said with a smile. She was not sure what she should tell people about herself. So she decided to stick with the same story she had told the steward. “I’m kind of lost actually. I’m one of Chauntea’s high level clerics trying to help the good people of this place fight against evil.” She said. A strange look appeared on the elf’s face and Jabnil knew she had said too much or something wrong. She decided to change the subject.

“More of an answer then you expected I can see" She said. "My name is Jabnil and I’m glad you are here … I need your help, which do you think looks better on me, the silver or the gold?” Jabnil asked hold up the two different cloaks for the elf to see.
 
The short jaunt from coming aboard to entering the wardroom was informative, Luca now knew the that the ship had recently had a mutiny, there was a place to fix his little boat up a bit and the names of both the beautiful captain and the peculiar squid woman... or octopus woman, how does one ask if what lurks beneath a womans skirt is a squid or a octopus? Luca could conclusively say that the etiquette on that one was unknown to him having never met either before, such unexpected challenges the sea had to offer.

The next sideshow attraction Luca was to meet on this madhouse boat was a far less complex creature, part one of its origin was obvious, Luca knew what the touch of dragon blood looked like, the second part escaped him though, Ogre perhaps? No, he had neither the slouch or the paunch expected of an ogre descendant, and he wasn't a giant either, not tall enough. The conversation between Jura and Red shed light on the matter though, minotaur, without all the shaggy hair Luca never would have guessed.

"Don't worry about it Jura" Luca returned the handshake without hesitation, this Jura fellow might have been an imposing one, but Luca had a good feeling about him. "You're not the first thing to jump to the plan of eating me and you've done far less to make it happen then most than most of them do."

"Welcome aboard captain."

The new person who had slinked in with an unmistakeable grin that marked him as a roguish type had spoken up, drawing more attention to himself than the cursory note Luca had paid him upon entry. "Oh, hello" Luca replied, putting a note of surprise in to his voice "didn't see you there, must have gotten lost behind the big man here" he gave a quick laugh and playfully slapped his palm to Juras shoulder, a risky move considering Juras earlier attempt to eat him, and not exactly in keeping with the more formal front he had been putting on for the captain, but he doubted that front would have worked on Jura or the man he didn't know the name of, neither seemed the type.

That bid for comradery with Jura out of the way though, staying on good terms with the captain came back to mind "Well lets all take a seat then shall we?" he spoke as he walked, making sure he was close to the head of the table when he finished, then pulling the chair out for her with the slightest tip of his head just like a good gentleman should.
 
Jura did not seem to mind that the half elf gave him a clap on the shoulder. He actual barely noticed. He was probably a good 4 to 5 times the weight of the small half-elf and solid muscle. So the clap was a bit like a fly landing on a hill … the hill did not notice.

"Well let’s all take a seat then shall we?" Luca suggested and gracefully pulled the chair out for Red, adding a slightest tip of his head just like a good gentleman should. Red was impressed.

“Why thank you, Captain Luca” she said to Luca and then turned to Blade “finally, a real gentleman is aboard, that knows how to treat a lady.” The remark clearly designed to needle Blade, who was anything but a gentleman. Nya slithered into the room and grabbed a seat. Red looked at the sail master, and she shrugged her shoulders.

Red looked back to Captain Luca “We are missing two of our officers, boatswain mates; Flitter and Reaver, they must be busy right now.”

“I have introduced our gunner, sail master, but I have not introduced Blade … he is our …” Red paused for a second and then said “ship’s chaplain and purser”

A ship’s crewmember entered and showed Red a bottle of rum.

“That is the right one ... Thank you, fishgut” Red said

“The rum is here … please everyone have some food and Fishgut will pour you a glass.” Red said.

“Please Captain Luca … tell us of your adventures” Red asked.
 
Chaplain and purser... Nope, couldn't see it, this Blade fellow was a man lacking in drive and motivation, or had it all directed at something else and just masked it with a flippant attitude. A man of god (or godess) and a bean counter he was not.

But that was not Lucas problem, dealing with and seeing to the issues of the other crewmen was funnily enough Blades responsibility as chaplain, and it would be rude to impinge upon that, so Luca just sat down to the Captains left without another thought. Now, the smart thing for Luca to do would be decline the rum, a nice drink was all well and good, but not when one is dehydrated and underfed. Luca however, despite his being quite intelligent, is not always a smart man.

"Why thank you fishgut" he said as he graciously took a decent helping of the rum and eagerly took a gulp, glad to be enjoying the perks of civilization once again, or at least the perks of this little imitation of civilization.

“Please Captain Luca … tell us of your adventures”

"My adventures? Well, I wouldn't know where to start" Luca took a sip of his rum, a delaying tactic as he thought up which story to spin "I mean, the beginning is generally a solid option, but my whole life story will probably take a little long for busy individuals such as yourselves" another sip to buy himself a few seconds "not to mention we'll probably run out of rum"

"Oh I know, the story of how I became captain of my own ship" he straightened up in his chair and recollected the tale in his mind, not a difficult task given it happened a number of days ago, but there's nothing worse than an unplanned pause in a story, ruins the pacing. "So I found myself with the rather dire need to get out of the country I was in, long story short the local lord wanted me dead because of some minor disagreement involving his wife and daughter. I maintain that it was a misunderstanding, given the lack of clothes I can see why they all jumped to the conclusions they did."

"But moving on from that, I managed to buy my way on to a royal merchantman vessel, lovely ship, little bigger than this one, even had a small set of light cannons, two a side and one mounted in the bow of the ship." Luca paused to take a piece of fruit from the center of the table and start cutting it in to smaller bite sized pieces "I was on there as the previous captains guest for just over a week, bit of a boring old man, but good at chess, when one night, I decided to take a night time troll across the deck" in actual fact, he needed to take a piss, but it didn't sound as good.

"To my surprise however, the small amount of crew on the night watch were all dead" which was a rather unpleasant discovery to make while relieving oneself, but at least it means it wasn't going to happen later when he learned why. "I chased around the ship, searching for the bodies, but all I could find was blood, until I reached the bow of the ship, where I saw Jenkins, the poor boy, dead and being dragged over the side of the ship by blue scaled beasts."

"Unfortunately, the beasts had some kind of otherworldly perception abilities, so my attempt to slip away and warn the other of this attack was spotted" By which he means he freaked out slightly, swore, and they saw him instantly. "Luckily they were slow, probably not used to chasing an enemy on solid ground, so I managed to get away and ring the alarm bell, which on one hand, alerted the crew, who would be able to swiftly come to my aid at any moment, on the other, it meant that the ones I had eluded, as well as quite a few others that were now starting to swarm over this sides, knew exactly were I was, and were all somewhat miffed that I had ruined their attempt at subtlety."

A small pile of fruit now neatly chopped up in front of him, Luca decided to pause for a quick bite and a bit more rum before continuing, draining his glass with a smile "oh that rum is nice" he mused, turning to the captain "mind if I have another?"
 
As Captain Luca told his story Red paid close attention to his every word. It was a fun story and it was well told. She nodded to Fishgut to pour more rum into the half-elf’s glass. She needed him to keep drinking and talking.

“This is a jaunty and spirited tale, if ever I heard one! I find it most entertaining. But I find myself wondering which Lord you had this misunderstanding with.” Red stated back the Captain Luca.

Immediately Nya jumped in the conversation with her analytical mind. “Yes Captain Luca … I too was wondering the same thing … Based upon your location, the merchant shipping routes, the prevailing current and a Lord with a wife and older daughter … I can only think of 2 people that could be responsible for Captain Luca’s sudden departure from country.

Lord Rupert, Duke of Badger's Mount, a generous man, but he is known for fooling around. His wardrobe is too risqué, in my opinion, for a Lord and his wife may have wanted to get back at him for his infidelity.” Nya commented.

Red nodded “Also the way he wears his hair … chopped and spiked on the top … it reminds me of a horse's mane. I can see his wife getting pissed at him.”

“He is rumored to be hung like a horse too. But I think he has paid people to spread that fact!” Nya added. Then she mentioned the next Lord on her list.

“Lord Ernest, Baronet Florey … the man is menace like a shark! The slightest infraction and he’ll have you hanging from the main gate of his castle! His wife and daughter are beauties ... that is certain!” Nya concluded.

“Nya … what of Lord Euan the Count of Bog Head? Or Lord Tarquin of Blackadder? Each has older daughters and living wives. And in Lord Tarquin’s case, he has no sense of humor and as fed many people to his pet alligators!” Red commented.

Nya shook her head “I missed Lord Tarquin, so that makes 3 … but I discarded Lord Euan. That human is just plain silly. I’m not sure he would do anything … even if Captain Luca was found in bed with both his wife and daughter!” Nya stated.

Red turn to Captain Luca “So which Lord did you offend?” She asked directly, trying to figure if the half-elf was telling the truth or not.
 
Last edited:
Caitwyn scaled down the the staircase in Rickety's Squibs' lone tavern with careful, deliberate steps. Standing just two inches shy of three feet, the halfling girl always dreaded the walk down in the morning. Going up wasn't usually as much of a chore as there was almost always someone at the end of the night willing to carry her up the steps... in last night's case that would be Jorge and his current girlfriend Alina. Nice girl, probably too nice for this pirate's haven, was one of the more friendly barmaids here. And Jorge? Not terribly bright, but well built from working lumber in the shipyards. Unfortunately a night of whiskey had rendered him unable to raise himself to "full mast", but oh well. At least he saved her a long climb and Alina made for a warm bedfellow, so she would count the night as a win anyway.

The room below was only a quarter full this early into mid-meal, but conversation was loud and unified -- there was a woman in town. Hair spun from silken silver and tits that could fill a giant's hands, from the way the salt dogs were howling. Caitwyn, of course, knew better and downgraded the men's claims a thousandfold. But that was still an impressive enough woman to warrant her attention.

And 'attention' was the name of her game. As a traveling bard, the halfling made her livelihood with attention. She wielded it like a weapon as surely as any swordman's blade. And she kept that weapon honed with a razor edge -- whereas most of her kin practiced the arts of remaining unnoticed among humankind, Caitwyn was quite the opposite. She may be short, but her figure was anything but childlike. Tight leathers hugged the curves of her wide hips and round bum. Her midriff was left bare, while her top squeezed a pair of breasts that would fill even human-sized palms and looked downright voluptuous on her tiny frame. She liked to leave her laces loose just to challenge human-sized men to maintain eye contact as they looked straight down at her to talk.

"Mornin', Catie," the man behind the bar greeted her with a smile.

"And a good morning to you, Tom," she smiled, all bright eyes and dark curls. "What's all this talk of a newcomer in town? The lads are making it sound like Shelyn herself came prancing through last night."

"Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself, Miss Catie," the man replied head shaking slowly and eyes wide with disbelief. "And the lads aren't during her half her justice, believe you me."

"That a fact?" Caitwyn grinned.

"Tis a fact. Sandy Pete just said he saw her in the market. Go see for yourself."

"Don't mind if I do..." the halfling mused with a smile, shouldered her pack and lute, then walked out to the streets of Rickety's Squibs.
 
Chandra Bristlewick was not stupid. She had been around for a few years and knew many things. But this woman? creature? spirit? whatever it was named Jabnil was something she had never seen before. Chandra long brown hair bounced behind her as she made her way to the market. She was the steward of this small village … and it was her job to keep the people safe. This normal involved keeping the hungry animals of the jungle from preying on the workers at the dry dock. Today, however, she needed to keep an eye on Jabnil.

She was just about to enter the market when she saw Caitwyn, the busty halfling bard approach. Chandra older eyes sparkled with cleverness as she came up with a better plan to keep an eye on Jabnil.

She hurried to intercept the Halfling.

“Caitwyn, I’m so glad to run into you. I need a big favor. Do you see that half naked woman over there holding up the cloaks?” Chandra asked.

There was no way to miss the platinum hair beauty showing cloaks to an attractive red haired elf. Caitwyn simply nodded her head that she saw the naked human woman.

“She just healed a man’s arm with a powerful cleric spell … and then for payment she wanted rum and sex! I don’t think she is dangerous … but she is really weird. I need to tell Rickety about her. Can you watch her and figure out what she is up to … or what she is? Thanks” Chandra asked, but she did not wait for an answer as she hurried off to find Rickety.
 
Nya was clearly in possession of a steel trap of a mind, a dangerous thing to be around when its working against you "Lord Ernest, though technically I offended his daughter first, she was quite enamored with me, but I politely declined her advances by claiming to be in love with another, a romantic tale that she fell for without question. When she walked in on me giving her mother a massage though, she immediately thought that we were doing something far more illicit." Luca took a swig of his rum and sighed "I must say, there are few things worse than being run out of town for something you didn't actually do."

"But enough about the time I didn't sleep with a noblemans wife, what about you two then? How does a pair of seafolk such as yourselves become so knowledgeable on the subject of noblemen and their spouses, I would have thought it wouldn't be an issue out at sea."
 
Blade

He took a sip of his rum and placed it on the table, then reclined and propped his feet up on the table, wiggling his toes as he looked anything but a preacher and stock keeper. With an idle flick a gleaming blade appeared from under the leather bracer on his right wrist and he used it to clean the already clean nails, after a short study he started to trim the already short nails. Satisfied with the result, he kept toying around with the blade. Flipping it into the air and catching it, the dangerously sharp edge never coming even close to touching him.

"It is even better to not get run out of town at all. Getting caught, that makes you a bad criminal, not getting caught, makes you a respected citizen." The grin he favored the half-elf with was filled with mirth. "Same goes for the good ladies, they like a good jaunt between the sheets...as long as their husbands never find out. Of course if the husband do, she's the victim and you're the rapist. The same thing seems to apply to daughters, not sure how that came to pass."

He shrugged and with an almost casual gesture the blade disappeared into the bracer once more, "But as the captain said, I am not to understand the failings of man, only to pray for their forgiveness and give rest to their souls."
 
Red’s poetry is worse than her puns!

Red looked over to Blade. “Well said Chaplain Purser … However some of us ladies have never experienced your good jaunt between the sheets ... We have heard many stories of your skill, but these may have been exaggerated.”

Nya also jumped in “yes … like the time the crew claimed you satisfied all the whores in Port Peril in one night!”

“Nya please … we have a real gentleman at the table. Captain Luca does not want to hear about Blade’s exploits … he asked about us and our knowledge of nobles.” Red said then her eyes looked off in the distance. Her voice became musical “I shall answer his question with a poem I have just constructed. This poem is about you … Captain Luca … but it will answer your question about us.”

Everyone in the wardroom, knowing what was coming, covered their ears except Captain Luca who did not know any better.

“To and fro, to and fro
In my little boat I go
Sailing far across the sea
All alone, just little me.
And the sea is big and strong
And the journey very long.
To and fro, to and fro
In my little boat I go.

Sea and sky, sea and sky,
Quietly on the deck I lie,
Having just a little rest.
I have really done my best
Into the hands of pirates I fall,
Captured, but good for all.
Sea and sky, sea and sky,
Quietly on the deck I lie--

“To and fro, to and fro
I no longer have to row
Away from all I have ever known
My character is yet to be shown
This journey is a test
Will I complete this quest?
To and fro, to and fro
I no longer have to row

Far away, far away
I have found a place to stay
On a journey without ends
The pirates are my friends
And should I betray them or me
I will be fed to the kraken in the sea.
Far away, far away
I have found a place to stay

Red’s eyes turned to look directly into Luca’s. Below the table the point of Red’s cutlass poked Luca in his belly … there was just enough pressure there to make sure the half-elf did not try anything. “I’m a free captain … you have been captured by pirates. I could claim your vessel as mine and we could sell you for ransom to Lord Ernest. I’m sure he would pay a handsome sum. However, I think you are far more valuable as a friend and a member of this crew. We are shorthanded and could use your help. Staying alive in that thing you call a boat was an amazing feat. So I know you have skills. I’ll make you this deal … you can think about my offer to join this crew as you repair your boat. Talk to the crew to find out more about me, if it helps you to decide. They will tell you I’m firm but fair. I need your decision one hour before the sun sets today.

Should you decide not to join us, we part ways, each having a secret on the other. Should you join us, you will be cut in at an equal share of the riches based upon your efforts and contributions, standard pirate contract. Should you decide to double cross us … we’ll feed you to the Kraken!

So do we have a deal? You’ll think about my offer” Red asked and waited for an answer.
 
Last edited:
Well, pinch my toes and call me a jelly roll... Caitwyn thought to herself when she reached the market square and saw the source of all the morning's commotion holding up two silk cloaks before an elf. Were the lads at the bar exaggerating? Yes, but not nearly as much as she was expecting. The woman was practically shimmering in an aura of otherworldly beauty. Caitwyn found it hard to look away but noted how the others in the market kept their distance... unusual for a lot like this that tended to favor blunt action when faced with treasure... or, dare I say, 'booty'.

Perhaps she was projecting some manner of aura... one of fear or awe that kept the more base creatures at bay. Of course such magics rarely affected halfling-kind... innate curiosity had a way of ignoring such barriers.

"I need your help, which do you think looks better on me, the silver or the gold?”

"I don't think there's a wrong answer," Caitwyn smiled as she approached the two women chatting in the market square. "Sorry -- don't mean to butt in," she offered her apology to the elf, "I'm sort of the Official Unofficial Welcoming Committee around this little village. My name's Caitwyn."

The little halfling paused to give them both an opportunity to return the introductions, should they choose, before continuing. "So, word around town is you like rum and sex. For some reason they think that makes you odd, but to me that makes you sound exactly like every other salty dog in this port."
 
Amlugeth picks up a deep purple cloak that has a nice shine to it, but just as she is about to show it to Jabnil someone steps up and says, "I don't think there's a wrong answer. Sorry -- don't mean to butt in," she offered her apology to the elf, "I'm sort of the Official Unofficial Welcoming Committee around this little village. My name's Caitwyn."

Amlugeth puts the cloak down and nods to the half-ling. She had seen her in Rickety's but still hadn't figured her out completely.

"Hi, I am Amlugeth and this is Jabnil. How do you become the Official Unofficial anything?" Amlugeth asked quizzically.
 
"Hi, I am Amlugeth and this is Jabnil. How do you become the Official Unofficial anything?"

It was a fair question, and somewhat unsurprising given then more literal nature of elves... at least the ones Caitwyn had known. "Dumb luck and a lady in a rush, apparently," Caitwyn answered with a soft laugh and shrug of her little shoulders. "Nice to meet you both."
 
Last edited:
Jabnil ... cloaked in mystery?

“Oh Wow … an unofficial official welcoming party. I feel honored. Everyone I meet here is so nice. Well, except that jerk that was trying to sell me the shoddy necklaces over there. He claimed they were made of gold … more like gold painted rocks.” Jabnil answered in her cheerful happy voice.

She saw the purple robe/cloak Amlugeth had been holding and then placed back in the display pile.

“A deep purple … cloak! That is a great idea!” Jabnil squeaked in excitement, grabbed the cloak, and turned to Amlugeth “This clothing wearing stuff is FUN! But I thought purple was only to be worn by royalty? No wait, that is the rule in the Kingdom of Palamar. So that is not a problem here." Both the halfling and the elf looked at her strangely again.

"I said that just to keep up the mystery that surrounds me ..." Jabnil said proudly. She slipped on the robe and did a small spin showing it off to her two admirers.

“I think it is wonderful! What do you two think?” She asked.
 
Last edited:
This Blade fellow was a bad Chaplain, well no, he wasn't a Chaplain at all that much was obvious, but still, he could at least fake the part a little better. If there was one thing that Luca hated, it was a bad actor... And porridge, and sea monsters, and ancient elves, and gods. Ok, Luca hated a lot of things, but a bad actor was the thing sitting across from him.

Luca sat back and enjoyed Reds poem, the pacing could have used a little work, but honestly it wasn't that bad, especially if she was just making it up now, the plot twist in the fourth stanza was a little predictable though. "Sure, I'll be a pirate" Luca replied, as nonchalant as if they had asked him if he would like a slice of bread, speaking of, he was hungry "I have my conditions though."

He popped a piece of the fruit he had diced up earlier in to his mouth "put simply, I don't fight unless I chose to, you see, I view violence as a last resort and have no interest in inflicting it upon those with no interest in inflicting violence upon me. Of course, if we were to be attacked by those who seek to do us harm and violence does become my only option, I will contribute quite considerably to the ensuing chaos of combat."

"Now I can see how this would be quite the deal breaker, but like you said, I have skills and I can guarantee that they make me a worthwhile investment" Luca downed the rest of his rum and stood up, ignoring the blade poking against his abdomen on the assumption that the good captain Red would be kind enough to not skewer him. "On that note, I do believe a demonstration is in order, so if you'll all join me on deck, I'll show you the trick up my sleeve that is probably the most useful to the ship"

Rather than turning to leave for the deck, Luca turned to his new captain, giving a slight bow and extending his arm to her like he was suitor at a ballroom dance "my captain."
 
Top side they all go …

Jura leaned over to Blade and grunted quietly “And you call me evil … listening to that poem was torture!”

Red look down the table to the big minotaur. “I heard that!” she warned him. He looked at the deck, sorry and ashamed he had upset the very sexy redhead.

Red stood up, put away her sword.

“We fight only when necessary … like when merchant sailors refuse to give up their ships to help us get rich!” She joked and then placed her arm in Luca’s hand. “Welcome to the crew … a demonstration of your abilities would be wonderful.” She commented. She let Luca guide her out of the wardroom.

The rest of the officers were not so sure about this new comer. Nya whispered to Blade and Jura “we’ll need to keep an eye on this one … but the Captain Red is pretty good judge of character … and Luca's character will come out over the next few weeks. I’m sure of that” She commented. They all made it top side and gave Luca some room for his demonstration.
 
Last edited:
Once on deck and given room to move, Luca stretched out his arms to work the kinks from his shoulders, not that there would be any real physical aspect to what he was about to do, he just hadn't had a chance to do his morning stretches. That little delay out of the way, he turned his attention to actually demonstration his ability.

He tucked the end of his staff in under his arm and held it aloft, staring up in to the sky with closed eyes and without explanation. He stayed that way for about 30 seconds, motionless and seemingly doing nothing but holding a stick upwards which waved in the breeze. Of course, to those who could see, truly see, as he could, he was anything but inactive, the air around him was flooded with the winds of magic, mixing with the lackluster mortal breeze that filled the ships sails.

Without a word he swung his staff down to point forward, the winds, both mundane and magical, following suit and gusting forwards, lifting hats from heads, blinding those with long hair and ultimately, filling the sails to near breaking point, propelling the ship through the waves with renewed speed. "So, what do you think?" Luca asked no one in particular, bringing his staff to rest on his shoulder with a flourish as he regarded those watching his little performance "will I be of use? Or would you like to see more of the tricks up my sleeve first?"
 
Caitwyn simply watched and smiled as Jabnil admired the cloaks while rambling on about clothes, dishonest merchants and fostering the 'mystery' that surrounded her. “I think it is wonderful! What do you two think?” she asked while modeling one of the cloaks which had captured her attention.

"It's definitely you," the halfling smiled. She didn't have the heart to tell her that it was almost certainly stolen. Finding a tailor of any talent in these remote parts was difficult enough, let alone one who could have fashioned that. No, it was far more likely to have been plundered from some merchant's vessel crossing the sea.

Caitwyn made her way over to examine the wares on display as well. "Nice, but I can never find anything in my size. So what brings you to our sleepy little port?" she asked casually while eyeing the stitching on another cloak.
 
Jabnil

Jabnil handed the required coins to the cloak merchant as Caitwyn asked her the question about why she was in this sleepy little port village. Jabnil really had no idea why she was here. Targas had told her she needed to learn from her mistakes. As far as she could tell, she had never made any mistakes. But here she was … she needed to learn something.

She looked over to the Halfling “I’m not really sure why I’m here … Chauntea’s will, I guess. I’m one of her high level clerics. I’m hoping she will give me a sign … that something will appear … like maybe a great ship to carry me away on a fantastic quest … something like that will help me understand what I’m to do next.”

As Jabnil was saying this … Chandra Bristlewick return to the market with her this time was a short, stoop-backed old man with a leathery, weatherworn face; watery blue eyes; and a small halo frizzy white hair around the side of his head. He was completely bald on top. He walked with a slight limp and wore short pants and an open shirt. There was a dirk hanging from his belt, but it looked more like a tool than a weapon.

“Aye she be a comely lass!” He said to Chandra as they approached Jabnil, Caitwyn and Amlugeth.

“Jabnil … Me name be Rickety Hakes un I run th' squib operation.” He explained with his thick pirate accent.

“It be important that th' people here be safe. I like to be direct wit' people so I’m goin' to ask ye directly. What be ye doin' here?” Rickety asked
 
Red

“A half-elf mage … as well as a captain, how interesting!” Red said. “I told you he would be useful” She said to Nya, Blade, and Jura. There were grunts in reply, but not so much in agreement … more like “we’ll see about that” grunts.

“Ok everyone back to their duties” Red ordered and the officers dispersed. Nye whispered to Red as she returned to her station “remember … A kitten of death” Red laughed at her comment. Luca small boat had already been hauled out of the water and hung from the davits.

“Your craft is ready for repair” Red said to Luca “you can bunk in the carpenter’s cabin. Oh and thanks for the wind” she added then she walked over to the helm and double checked their heading.

The rest of the day was uneventful and the ship made excellent time with the added wind. The spell wore off after a while, but the ship’s speed continued to be good. Nya did manage to finish her interrupted conversation with Flitter, only this time it was on the main deck as Nya steered the ship.

“The sails are holding true” Nya said to the small fairy. Flitter nodded “yes … it is a good ship and the lines are strong. I just hope the half-elf mage does not add anymore wind to them!”

“No … I think it was just a demonstration of his abilities … could be very handy in a battle however, or when we are being chased by a pirate hunter” Nya answered.

Flitter nodded and then changed the subject on the Cecaelia. “I can answer your questions now.” She said.

“What?” Nya asked having forgotten what she had asked. “Well … you asked about my knowledge of ships … I have been on ships for almost as long as Reaver. I have learned many things over those years, so line tension and rigging I know a lot about” Flitter answered with some pride.

“And you asked how I met Reaver … well, I can’t tell you everything however, I can tell you we both like good pranks.” Flitter answered.

Nya nodded “Yes Fairies are known for pranks … but Reaver seem so serious. He hardly talks.” Nya said.

Flitter giggled “Oh there is a devil inside him … trust me” she answered.

It was not long after that conversation that they saw the coast line of the Slithering Coast. Red had them parallel the coast for a few hours. She had her spy glass out and continued to look at the coast. Nya finally asked her “Will you be able to find it?”

Red did not take her eye from the glass “Aye Nya … we are close … but the entrance is well hidden.” She answered. Not more than ten minutes later she called out to Nya “I found it!”

Nya ordered half sails … and turned the ship towards the land. Rounding a tall headland revealed a hidden cove at the mouth of a wide jungle river. A series of docks had been built upon this estuary, with the building concealed beneath the overhang of the thick jungle. Nya now noticed a wooden watchtower standing on the promontory of the headland carefully concealed among the trees to provide a clandestine view of the sea.
 
Jabnil

“I was just explaining to my two new friends here … Caitwyn and Amlugeth. I’m a cleric and my patron deity is Chauntea. Chauntea sent me here to learn something, I’m not sure what. But I think I have learned a lot so far. I found out I like rum … oh and sex. Sex is awesome! I like shopping and I met some nice people here. I’m hoping Chauntea will give me a sign … of what I should do next … like maybe a great ship comes here to carry me away on a fantastic quest … something like that.” Jabnil explained.

Suddenly messenger ran up to Rickety “Sir … a ship be approaching… she’s be a beauty.”

Rickety looked back to Jabnil “Chauntea may have answered ye request” Rickety replied “I must say ahoy to our new visitors, excuse me” He said and headed towards the docks.

Red


As they approached the dock facilities, a longboat was rowing out to them. There were 6 sailor and an old man in the boat. The sailors were armed only with dirks. Red was forward near the bow next to Blade and Luca. She told both of them, “The old guy is Rickety Hakes, retired buccaneer, former 1st mate, served aboard the beard whore. He is a good man.” Red stated.

Rickety hailed the Orchid of the Sea and requested permission to come aboard.

“Permission granted” Red called back. As the rope ladder was dropped to the long boat and Rickety and his sailors came aboard.

“Red a pleasure to see ye again. Be ye th' cap'n?” Rickety asked as his eyes looked over the ship.

“Aye … and she needs a squibbing” Red said switching to her pirate accent. “Reaver!” She called

Reaver walked over and explained his ideas to Rickety “She has too many masts. A ship this size can get away with just one large sail and one mast. Need to add some oar banks for added power and movement in calm seas. Capt’n wants to cover the prow in copper or bronze to form a ram and definitely upgrade our balistas. At the moment they are mainly for show and only have short range capability. We want long range and have them capable of firing fire arrows and chain shot twin bolts to take down other ships rigging. Lastly we want grapples and boarding planks to make taking other ships easier and maybe short ladders as well as we are a low draft boat and some will be higher." He finished.

Red nodded with him “Thar be a pair more thin's I be needin' added. Th' figurehead needs to be a dragon’s head 'n I want to be able to blast out Greek fire of it.”

Rickety’s eye brows went up at that request “I be a cutlass sandwich …” he said surprised at how clever it was, then he thought about all the modifications and the costs. It took a few moments but he finally said “That be 2,500 gold pieces 'n it gunna take 5 days. We’ll need to place her in th' dry docks.”

Red reached into one of her side pockets and handed Rickety a bag full of gems. “This is ye down payment. Please get started right away.”

Red turned to Blade “Everyone is granted shore leave, but I want 25% of the crew sleeping on the ship just in case we need to go to sea quickly” She ordered. There were affirmative nodded from her officers.
 
Blade

Well the summoning of wind was impressive, he'd admit that, but what was this half-elf hiding? The creature Blade saw now, did not really look like the creature who had sat up in the little boat. When Red dismissed them, he headed back up to the crow's nest. There was no more surprises until the came into sight of land, which he called down of course. He had been here a few times and would have called the entrance if Red had missed it, but he had trust and faith in her and that wasn't misplaced as she guided them towards the entrance.

He was sitting on the lower beam of the main sail, listening to the conversation between Red and Rickety, he can remember the old man and knew that the old man would know that where Red was, there Blade will be. Blade suck on his teeth, wondering what Red would get up to. That woman can at times surprise even him.
 
Back
Top