Story Rejection Excuses

Wait a minute . . . are you attempting sarcasm?

FYP

@TTG - Now it's water under the bridge.

Luv and hugs,
R B Launcher aka my middle name is 'brat'.

@OP general consensus is the premise crossed the line. My first story was rejected, I reworked it and resubmitted it.
If I may pass along a few words of wisdom from AwkwardMd:

We should all be lucky enough to have a hobby as cathartic as writing.

Last edited:
This thread brings up a question I've had. What would the site do with an essay - non-fiction - that is basically or wholly non-erotic?

The Reviews and Essays category is on erotic topics. Here's their tag line for said category. "Your take on art, films, & all things sexual."

I don't know. In my second attempt at submitting here I had a short (~600 words) piece of writing rejected from non-erotic as it did not have enough of a story-line, and also rejected from non-erotic poetry (and quite honestly it was a love poem). I can't remember the reason for the poetry rejection. I scratched my head in bewilderment as to what I was doing wrong....and wrote smut for the next successful submission :)

That's a simple one, actually. The site will not post micro-stories, those under 750 words.

That's a simple one, actually. The site will not post micro-stories, those under 750 words.

Unless you submit several stories as a single post. I do that with my 50-word stories. 50-words x 15 stories (plus copyright notice and titles) is more than 750 words.

Ah, that will have been bumped because stories must be at least 750 words - and possibly prose rather than poetry?

As I understand it, poems longer than 750 words go in the appropriate story section. At least, that's what happened with mine.

As I understand it, poems longer than 750 words go in the appropriate story section. At least, that's what happened with mine.

I wonder where Coleridge would have put Christabel? Sci-Fi and Fantasy, or Incest? As you mentioned (I think it was you), in the Lit tradition of the great unfinished story.

I am proud to have had a story rejected by Lit. I received this advice with the rejection:

Is there excessive degradation, violence, snuff, or abuse of characters in your submission? If it is submitted as a Horror story, is it more snuff than actual horror?

I have read more violent and degrading material than my own on this site, but clearly what I wrote got under someone's skin. It was labeled BDSM and CFNM but it was just too much for someone. I am sure this indicates that I did a pretty good job. No snuff, by the way, just some serious femdom discipline.

I am not proud to have had some of sloppier work published. (I only have a dozen or so on here, but some aren't too good.)

I am proud to have had a story rejected by Lit. I received this advice with the rejection:

Is there excessive degradation, violence, snuff, or abuse of characters in your submission? If it is submitted as a Horror story, is it more snuff than actual horror?

I have read more violent and degrading material than my own on this site, but clearly what I wrote got under someone's skin. It was labeled BDSM and CFNM but it was just too much for someone. I am sure this indicates that I did a pretty good job. No snuff, by the way, just some serious femdom discipline.

I am not proud to have had some of sloppier work published. (I only have a dozen or so on here, but some aren't too good.)

Did you resubmit, after an edit to remove ambiguity, or with a note confirming there was none of those things? A rejection isn't final, you get the opportunity to address the rejection questions (that's a generic response, btw, where that content/alleged content is concerned).

Laurel scans everything and is pretty good at identifying borderline content (LC, hush, we know ;)), but is open to either rework or to be convinced.

Did you resubmit, after an edit to remove ambiguity, or with a note confirming there was none of those things? A rejection isn't final, you get the opportunity to address the rejection questions (that's a generic response, btw, where that content/alleged content is concerned).

Laurel scans everything and is pretty good at identifying borderline content (LC, hush, we know ;)), but is open to either rework or to be convinced.

I did not resubmit. I compared my work to some others on the site decided that the rejection was arbitrary. Then, decided that Lit simply does not deserve a non-exclusive right to publish that piece. I took my ball and went home.

I did not resubmit. I compared my work to some others on the site decided that the rejection was arbitrary. Then, decided that Lit simply does not deserve a non-exclusive right to publish that piece. I took my ball and went home.

Booo! Some of the femdom gets fairly dark - I can't imagine how you could have tripped over the line unless there was significant blood loss, flaying, castration, or sustained exposure to Nickelback.

Back