Images in a story

AwkwardlySet

Literotica Guru
Some time ago, I asked about the best way to publish a map of my fantasy world and most people suggested publishing it as erotic art.
Then I saw this story.
https://www.literotica.com/s/vaid-empire-conquest-ch-23
It was published in SciFi, not in Illustrated stories, and I must admit I had no idea it was possible to do something like that. Huh.

Almost every story in this series has multiple images in it. Is this something new, or has it always been allowed to put images in categories other than Illustrated?

Last edited:
Interesting! I kind of thought they kept all the illustrated stories in that category as well. I suppose the author submitted their story as a document file with embedded images. I'm a little surprised. I can't recall ever seeing a story with art here, outside of the special category anyway.

That's the first time I've seen an illustrated story outside Illustrated Stories.

If it's generally allowed, then it makes the dedicated category a bit of a nonsense.

That's the first time I've seen an illustrated story outside Illustrated Stories.

If it's generally allowed, then it makes the dedicated category a bit of a nonsense.
My thoughts exactly. But more than that, if it is allowed, it opens many possibilities. We could use AI-generated images, or some other images if the former aren't allowed to put maps, images of the story protagonists as we see them, and so on.

My thoughts exactly. But more than that, if it is allowed, it opens many possibilities. We could use AI-generated images, or some other images if the former aren't allowed to put maps, images of the story protagonists as we see them, and so on.
And it would end up a complete waste of digital storage space. Can you imagine how much junk imagery there'd be? I shudder at the thought.

I’m comfortable leaving things to the readers’ imagination, aided by descriptions and the occasional actor suggestion. I have yet to find a worthy artist for illustrating my ficverse and doing it myself is too much work even with AI assistance. But others can do as they like.

I think that I’ll stick to the lovely @djrip drawing his beautiful pictures for my series cover art.

Speaking of which, Eden’s Explorations will need cover art soon 😬.

Em

I was unable to find another example of images in a story that isn't Illustrated category, except for MediocreAuthor's story that included diacritics. I assume she put them there as pictures, although they do represent text kinda, so in her case it was understandable. What I am wondering though is if this series was an isolated case that somehow snuck through the rules, or is this actually allowed?

There's always been the possibility of gaining an exception to post something with illustrations outside the category. I can think of a handful ( with a few fingers cut off ) over the years. It's an exception to the rule and not something you're likely to get.

Surprised to learn there's a full series allowing it.

One thing that may be aiding them is reusing the same image in multiple chapters. It only has to be uploaded once, and then can be referenced in other chapters. There's the "header" images that are on every chapter. That's copy/paste. Then I've noticed the same green succubus type character in multiple chapters. I honestly don't see where it adds much to the storytelling. They're essentially bestiary entries showing what the characters look like rather than representations of the scene where they're used. It would be neat to publish a bestiary showcasing these for someone who's really into the world, but in the middle of the narrative, I feel as if they interrupt the flow more than they help the story.

Last edited:
There's always been the possibility of gaining an exception to post something with illustrations outside the category. I can think of a handful ( with a few fingers cut off ) over the years. It's an exception to the rule and not something you're likely to get.
Ah, so it is an exception...
Well, if it's something that requires favor with Laurel, I can only dream of doing it 😄

I suppose if we can add art, we could put our covers at the beginning of our stories. I wonder how we go about finding out, hum, who's gonna ask?

The only reason you'd really want to put something in another category is if the images aren't sexual in nature. With very few exceptions, you'll get more reads in the dedicated illustrated category if the images are sexual. While some of the images in the mentioned story are nudes, they're not really the kind of thing the readers there are looking for. You'll probably get more eyes on them in Illustrated, but more genuine engagement in the category related to the written material.

As to covers, I strongly suspect the series feature will eventually lead to rolling out cover images for standalone works as well.

We could use AI-generated images,
No you can't. That would not be allowed even if other images are.

I for one am completely opposed to images in any story. I don't even like them in news articles if they break up the text flow.

No you can't. That would not be allowed even if other images are.

I for one am completely opposed to images in any story. I don't even like them in news articles if they break up the text flow.
To be honest, I would mostly like to be able to place a map in my stories, as I am very much enjoying my world-building. Being able to use AI-generated images of my protagonists or some specific landscape would be nice too, although I am not obsessed with that part.

If you use any image it will have to be drawn or created another way. AI content of any kind is not currently permitted on Lit. That may change someday, but the policy as of now bans it.

Back