anxious for feedback on 1st story submitted Emie's Epiphany

theo8emie

Virgin
I finally got the courage to submit my first story. I really enjoyed writing it and would like to add chapters to it. I am getting lots of views and some good ratings but I would really like feedback on what people liked about it, what they didn't like. etc.
The story is: Emie's Epiphany under erotic couplings

any opinions or comments are welcome.

Thanks

For a first time story, you've seemed to have done quite well. 4.50 rating is very good. You're writing flows nicely.

Warning! Harsh criticism to follow! Don't read unless you're up to having your baby ripped to shreds!

* The advice I like best on how to start a story is start it just before something interesting happens. Emie possibly buying a sex toy is not what I'd call interesting
* Way too much narrative summary in the beginning. I'd recommend at most two short paragraphs before having some dialogue
* I found the jumping back and forth in time very confusing. Combine that with the firehose of facts that was your narrative summary and I had to scroll back up a couple of times to reread a prior section. When she first met Theo, I thought because she was married that she was much older than she was. When she meets Theo at the reunion, she seemed to know him well at one point but when I scrolled back, she had apparently only talked with him one time
* The name "Emie", is it short for something? Otherwise, it is a very unusual name
* Their one evening being in a study group together was some magic moment that they've both cherished the rest of their lives? That feels super-forced
* And because it feels super-forced, the whole they're-acting-like-long-lost-friends comes across forced
* You need lots of dialogue while they are at the reunion. Did Theo and Emie even talk at the reunion? It's not clear that they did
* After last call, Theo and Emie finally have a conversation and it's about him taking her home
* They get to her place and you have a huge block of narrative summary. Don't tell us what they talk about. Show us them talking
* What happened to Emie being at a sex shop? That's completely lost now. Her being with Theo isn't a flashback - it's the story
* They make out and have sex. Nicely done
* Then at the very, very end, we are back at the sex shop for one paragraph

Thanks so much for the constructive feedback. That was exactly what I was looking for.

It's very good. I think the criticisms of 8letters are excessively harsh.

I think the framing with the sex shop and then going back in time works. It's clear to me. And it gives a lead-in to chapter 2.

The mix of dialogue and narration is a good balance. The writing is pretty good and the sex scenes are hot and also quite realistic and convincing.

Although the story is the usual "m and f meet and have sex", which can be very boring, there is sufficent interest here to make it different (for example when he seems to turn her down).

The only little thing I didn't like was the switching in and out of italics. I know the italics are supposed to be her thoughts but the distinction is not always clear.

Last edited:
Back