The Long Road Home (closed)

Sarah nodded, knowing that she would have to explain to Ian what was going on. That was a battle that she wasn't really prepared to have to fight, but it was necessary to stop all of the senseless killing that had been happening in her lands. After the room had been cleared out, she sat there and stared at Ian for a long moment, letting out a soft sigh.

"Tomorrow I want you to go to your home. I will have Durban send word when this is all over." She said softly. "I need to know that you'll be safe."
 
"No. I'm going t'stick by Shia if I can't help in th' field." Shia would need some support, especially if Sarin didn't make it. He was already silent and seemed broken.
 
"Do not go anywhere alone. If you have to leave, take a guard." Sarah said, needing to know that he was alright while she was trying to save her lands. "And please don't try and be a hero. I need you here and safe."
 
"I promise I'll try not to do anythin' stupid, love, as long as you promise t' come home safe." Ian's expression was as serious as she'd ever seen, and he was clearly more concerned about her than anyone or anything else.
 
"I'll come home. Never worry about that, Ian." Sarah said softly, wrapping her lover in a tight hug. "You still have to marry me. I'm not about to go anywhere until that happens."
 
"You don't have permission t'go anywhere afterward either," Ian reminded her, trying to keep his spirits up before they parted with one more kiss. They both had a lot to do and a limited time to do it before Oliver struck at those she loved again. And he wouldn't try to kill any of them directly. He'd strike at people like Sarin again, to make Sarah's loved ones miserable and useless. For Ian, it was his Wolf family hidden in the forest, and Ian was already sending warnings to his grandmother.
 
Sarah didn't look back at Ian as she walked away to find Durban. If she looked back she would most certainly crumble. This was a situation where she had to be strong. It was the only way that they would end this madness once and for all.
 
Durban's plan came together a little differently than his original idea, but that evening, Sarah was out with only a small guard under the fake mission of running supplies to some hungry families. It wasn't far-fetched considering Sarah's care for the hungry and the poor. There was tension in the air as they led a wagon along, and it felt as if eyes were upon them from everywhere. Likely as not, there were.
 
Sarah rode high in the saddle ahead of the wagon, her small guard on alert as they knew the enemy was near. It was a strange feeling to know that there were so many eyes on her that could not be seen, but she knew that she had to perfectly play her part or more people might die. She wanted to save as many lives as she possibly could in this senseless war.
 
The men riding on either side and behind Sarah had been chosen specifically for their loyalty to her, both longtime guardsmen for her family. Durban had chosen her guard after warning them all that they could die quite suddenly, and it was likely a few would before Durban could spring the trap to catch Oliver's man. Ten men had willingly volunteered, and Durban sent six of them with Sarah. Durban himself and Kell were following in the shadows and would strike as soon as Oliver's men appeared.

Quite suddenly, one man to Sarah's left let out a terrible cry and fell from his horse clutching his arm where a bolt had fine straight through his shield and into his arm. It was a sloppy shot and Oliver's man was about to pay for it. When ten men with crossbows and long daggers appeared to attack, so did a group of raging Scottish axemen and one streak of black that came bolting up the road to grab the dark-cloaked man coming straight for Sarah. Kell wrestled the man to the ground, suffering a few shallow cuts and a nasty bite to the arm when the man struggled.
 
At the sound of the man's cry of pain, Sarah reigned her horse in, standing her ground as men appeared from the woods with bows and swords. She refused to back down in this situation and she sat on her horse stoically as Kell killed the one man that was making his way towards her and Durban's men began to slaughter the rest.
 
Only one, a leader marked by his green cloak instead of black, was spared. Durban knew this man was the one they were after. The man tried to escape and when that failed, he tried to kill himself. Instead, Kell disarmed and subdued him. Out of Sarah's guard, one man had died and the rest were moderately wounded. Of Durban's men, only two were wounded slightly and Kell came out mostly unscathed.
 
"I suggest that you get information out of him as quickly as possible." Sarah said as she guided her horse towards where Kell was going through the man's cloak and searching for more weapons. "We don't have time to waste in any of this."
 
"Leave it to me," Kell murmured, hauling the man to his feet where Durban shackled his arms and legs. Sarah had seen Kell in action before when it came to getting information. He'd done it several times in her service to get Intel on the movements of Invernessian soldiers. It was bloody at best.
 
"Be on guard. If these men were here in the woods, there are probably more that we cannot see further down the way." Sarah said as Kell promised to get the information from the man that they had captured.
 
"Tha's why I'm takin' the lead from here," Durban nodded as his men fetched their horses and one brought his horse to him. "Stay in th'middle," he told Sarah and Kell, being that Kell was probably another target and Sarah was the main prize for Oliver's men.
 
Sarah nodded, pulling her horse towards the middle of the pack. She knew that this moment was serious if Durban were taking the lead for himself. There was no clear indication that there were more men out there in the woods waiting for them, but if she knew Oliver, it was a very likely possibility.
 
The feeling of being watched lasted for miles, until just outside Monaghan, Kell spotted a single rider crossing the road up ahead, heading in the direction of the border between Cavan and Monaghan counties. "Oliver's gonna know by th'time we get back... They've been watchin' the whole way," Durban murmured, but he was bothered by the fact that they hadn't attacked again now that they saw just how many men Sarah had. Surely they would've gathered more in the area and stopped them.

But when they drew near the keep, they found out why the return had been peaceful. Two dead guardsmen and five wounded lay in the courtyard, and Shia was sitting in the doorway, having collapsed against the arch, being tended to carefully by a doctor. Other healers hurried out to tend the wounded and it seemed things we under control again.
 
Sarah was quick to dismount when they returned to the keep and saw the chaos around them. She hurried to Shia's side, touching his cheek gently.

"What happened?" Sarah murmured softly to her wolf. "Sarin? Ian? Are they alright?"
 
Shia was clutching a bandage over a nasty stab wound in his side as the healer tended to a deep cut in the side of his neck, and he looked up at Sarah in silence. The healer spoke for him, "Ian is inside helping the other healers. But... I'm afraid Sarin took a turn for the worse while you were away and she's not doing well."
 
"We're not going to let her die. I promise you that, Shia." Sarah murmured as she looked towards the healer that was helping him. "Send the fastest rider to Dublin. I want the best healer my uncle has here before nightfall."
 
The healer nodded and rose once he was done with Shia and he headed inside to do as she asked. Shia slowly picked himself up, and it was easy to see he was deeply grieved by Sarin's worsening health. Never before had she seen him look so lost.
 
"You're not going to lose her, Shia." Sarah murmured as he picked himself up to his feet. "It's my promise to you. After all of the things that you've done for me in my life, this is the one thing that I can give back to you."
 
"Don't make promises you might not be able to keep, sweetheart," Shia muttered before kissing her forehead and heading inside. Ian came out to offer Shia help, but the old Wolf just went on to Sarin's side. Ian came to Sarah, kissing her cheek.

"How'd it go?" He asked quietly.
 
"Bad, if they were able to attack here." Sarah said as Ian came to her side. "And I don't like that Sarin is getting worse. I've sent a rider to Dublin to get my uncle's best healer. I can only hope that they're able to save her."
 
Back
Top