I have a question about beta/readers editors

CandiCame

Rocket Grunt
Joined
Apr 12, 2011
Posts
26,765
I looked through the sticky posts and couldn't find the answer, but that doesn't mean that I didn't overlook it. I'm really bad to overlook stuff.

I'm working on a story for the Holiday contest and I'm scared I'm not going to get finished in time, because I'm trying to use the feedback from my last story to make this one better. I had a lot of people tell me that people want real plot and characterization, not just a fluffy sex scene- but that's making my story really long and I'm scared I'm going to run out of time.

I was wondering if it was possible to have a beta reader or editor (I'm really amateur writer, I'm not super sure what the difference is. I'm sorry.) look at it as I write it instead of waiting until it's finished. Is that a thing that happens or do you have to finish the story first?

The stickies said to give a 1 or 2 paragraph synopsis so I'll try:

A couple, Chuck and Steve, are spending the holidays at Chuck's family's house, a rural farm in the middle of nowhere. Steve is completely out of his element, and keeps seeing strange things in the woods until he is eventually kidnapped by Krampus.

So it'll probably be tagged: Gay Male, Non-con, and Non-human.

Also Chuck's family are werewolves (it's a sequel to my Halloween story) but I don't think that will actually come up in this story. It's meant to be a stand alone, like you shouldn't have to read the first one to read this one, but you can if you want to.

I appreciate any help at this point! I'm new to all this and I feel completely out of my element.
 
I wish I could answer your questions but I probably won't be any help.

I wish there were more volunteer editors here. I get that it is a pretty much thankless job, although they do get to read stories sooner :D

I wish I was better at editing then I would take on other people's stories.

IF/WHEN you find an editor and it clicks with them, you can probably work it out where they would be open to reading stuff as it's written. Some might even find it works out better that way for them to read some here and there when they have time instead of having to devote a large chunk of time to edit a whole story.
 
I was wondering if it was possible to have a beta reader or editor (I'm really amateur writer, I'm not super sure what the difference is. I'm sorry.) look at it as I write it instead of waiting until it's finished. Is that a thing that happens or do you have to finish the story first?

There aren't any rules (or even traditions) against it. You just have to find someone willing to do it, and it's not a function the Web site supervises or negotiates for you. You have to find them yourself.
 
Back
Top