The Lady of Skye (closed)

"Th'sane part o' me does," Tamblin muttered softly, his shoulders slumping slightly. His gaze turned to the hall archway as Kayla scampered by, likely on her way to Lucina.
 
“You know if Matthias ever found out how you truly treated me, he would give you much the same as you want to give that Spaniard.” Kitty said softly as Kayla scurried last the entrance to the great hall, on the hunt for her grandmother. “And I’m sure it won’t be the last time you treat me like that either.”
 
Tamblin was silent after that, his head slowly dipping til he finally rose and quietly made his way out, likely to retreat to the library as he'd been doing the entire time they'd been there. Not once since they'd come to Skye had he lost his temper or raised his voice. It seemed that if anything upset him, he'd simply hide. He felt like a coward for it, but while he was in his right mind, it was the only peaceful approach he knew.
 
Kitty felt terrible for how she talked to Tamblin sometimes but the truth was the hardest thing to come to terms with. He had treated her dispicably and he would have to live with that for the rest of his life.
 
The next few days we're quiet, but tense for Matthias who was always on the lookout for Raul. He was also watching incoming ships for the Wolf Adrin, but he didn't show. That was, until early one morning when Rosie was out on the grounds with the older children before breakfast, and a familiar sight came through the courtyard gate. In uncharacteristically shoddy trousers, a vest, and tunic, a black Wolf with a duffle bag slung over his back came half-limping up the cobblestone path. He looked like he'd been through hell and lost almost everything. But it was the very Wolf that had seen Rosie off from Spain. While his outfit was ragged, it had clearly once been a fine ensemble of good cloth. There were small tears and rough patches here and there now, and the Wolf's free left hand was in a cast.
 
Rosie was in the courtyard with Durban, Selena, and Brogan, watching over the children as they did an experiment of sorts using some of Martin’s collection of scientific tools. Selena was especially interested in how things worked, insisting that her brothers were doing things all wrong from time to time. Rosie watched them with a smile until she saw the figure walking towards them and her heart started to race.

She stood up, unsure if she should greet him or not. As the children watched her, she made her way towards him and paused a short distance away.

“You’re my father?” She asked softly.
 
The dark Wolf came to a slow halt before Rosie, soft honey-colored eyes much like Tauren's meeting her gaze. As she asked him his identity, there was some visible sadness in those gentle eyes, but he couldn't help a kind smile, one she would remember from when he'd sent her off. "Rosalind," he murmured softly. "I'm so sorry it took me so long to get here, little cub." That was a nickname that sounded familiar as well, perhaps something he'd called her as a little girl. "I'd hoped Tauren would meet you... but he told me your circumstances led you to be taken in by the Duke's household."
 
Rosie was quiet for a long moment as he called her little cub and referred to her by her real name, the name that her mother had fought so hard to give her. She bowed her head slightly, thinking about everything that had happened to her to that point and whether she should trust this man who had bought her freedom or not.

"I don't remember you." She said softly, her gaze finally raising to his own. "I don't remember any of my time with you. I don't even know if I should trust you. I'm trying so hard...but...I just don't know what to think."
 
"I know you don't," he murmured. "You had no idea who I was when I came to find you, and there was no time to explain. I'm... I'm not entirely sure what happened to you, but I know it was horrible. No one deserves what happened to you and your mother, little cub. I wouldn't wish any of it on even my worst enemy."

He set down his pack. He wanted so badly to hold her and help her see he'd make everything all right again, but he knew he couldn't. She didn't know him anymore, and nothing he could do would take away what happened to her. "I... I'm not sure what to tell you, sweetheart. After we parted at the harbor in Spain, I lost what little I had left. I have nothing to offer you, and it took every string I could pull to get a ship here myself. I have my business back in Ireland still, but... it'll be some time before I can get back there. I'll be living with Tauren for now, trying to pull my weight while I wait on money from the shipping line. I won't force you to deal with me, but... if you want to talk, sort out what happened... or if you need to vent and let me know how badly I failed as a father... I'll be around. I'll be happy to get you some money to go wherever you need as well, just say the word."
 
"I just need time. It's coming back, slowly, but it isn't as fast as I would have hoped it would." She said softly as he explained what he would be doing now. "I remember Ma, very vividly. I remember my own child more clearly that I did before. However, there are still a few things that are very unclear. I don't know if it will ever come back."
 
Adrin's eyes widened slightly as his brows furrowed with worry at the mention of her own child, but he chose not to ask right then. "If you have any questions... if you need anything at all... just say so, little cub. I failed your mother... I couldn't reach her in time. And I know I failed you in another way, but I at least want to make sure you'll be okay in this new life. That's all I need. I can't even claim to be a real father at this point..."
 
"Just because I don't remember you or our time together doesn't make you any less of my father." Rosie said quickly, knowing that this had to be as painful for him as it was for her. "And I'm safe here. That's what you wanted, right?"

The sounds of footsteps behind her made her turn and Rosie saw Matthias approaching. At the curious look on his face, she turned back towards the wolf and went to introduce them properly. "This is my father, Matthias. Adrin, this is Matthias McTavish."
 
Adrin bowed his head immediately upon hearing Matthias' name. "Your Lordship."

"Adrin. I'm glad to see you made it," Matthias nodded to him, bidding him with a motion to stand straight. "We've been looking after Rosie since the ship she was on wrecked in a storm in the harbor."

"Thank you, sir. You have no idea what she means to me..."

"No, friend, I think I do. But there's a lot to sort out... The most pressing of which would be a certain Spaniard." Matthias looked to Rosie, knowing it was her issue to share. He didn't want to be overbearing.
 
Rosie was always uncomfortable when it came to Raul. She didn't like being in the middle of a situation that she had no control over, let alone something that she barely had any memory of.

"I think he already knows, Matthias. He bought me from Raul's brothel." Rosie said softly, looking between the two men. "Raul Valez married me shortly after Ma died. I suppose that means we've been married for a few years now."
 
Adrin shook his head, growling something in a tribal language that sounded familiar. "Bastard. So he intends to take my money and still keep my cub? It sounds like I ought to take everything back and leave him with nothing. I don't want to come to blows with him, but if that's what it's going to take..."

"I ask that you don't resort to violence unless he strikes first. My father and I are watching him for any excuse to arrest and deport him. But if he comes for Rosie again, he may be facing a more dangerous foe in my brother-in-law."
 
Rosie felt as if she were caught in the middle of a vicious tug of war. On one side was Raul, intent on keeping her for some reason. On the other those that truly cared about her and wanted her to be safe.

“Do you know why all of this started?” Rosie asked her father. “Why he won’t let me go?”
 
"I only know two things about Raul Valez. First, that he considers women to be possessions to be bought and sold. And second, that he doesn't like losing his toys. He's little more than a petulant, angry child in a vicious man's body. He thinks himself some ruler because he owns a brothel, and he acts like a spoiled prince. Beyond that... I don't know his motivations."
 
Rosie glanced up at Matthias as her father told them what he knew about the situation. “Maybe once you’re settled in, Matthias can bring me to see you. We can talk more. Maybe I’ll remember something else by then.”
 
"I can see you there safely," Matthias nodded.

"I'll be with Tauren, then," Adrin nodded. "If you come to the village, the warriors know him well and can show you where he lives." He sighed quietly. "I'd better get started that way. He's probably worried half to death about me," he smiled lightly at that. "My little brother always has. I'll see you soon, little cub. Sir," he nodded to Matthias as well.
 
Rosie could see the sadness in her father's eyes as he backed away to leave. She wished that she could tell him more, sooth his wounded soul at losing his mate and then losing his daughter to a faulty memory. Before he could get too far away, Rosie moved from Matthias's side and caught Aldrin in her arms, hugging him to simply give him something to hope for.
 
Adrin paused as Rosie's arms wrapped around him from behind, and she would be able to feel his chest tense to hold back emotion at the simple action. He slowly turned, and wrapped Rosie up in his own arms, holding her for the first time in a decade. "You look so much like her," he whispered, laying his head against hers.
 
“I never thought I did.” Rosie said softly as her father wrapped her in a tight hug and spoke softly about her resemblance to her mother. “Her eyes were darker and her skin more tan.”
 
"She always said you got your hair and eyes from her mother. But you have her face, no doubt." Adrin drew back to hold her at arm's length and gave her a smile. "And you're beautiful. Just like her."
 
“Was she happy with you? For even just a little while?” Rosie asked softly, knowing that her mother had been a very sad person when she was little and they had first landed in Spain. “She kept a painting of a tree in our rooms and she would cry each time she looked at it. She would never tell me what it meant to her.”
 
"We loved each other... And we had happy moments. But life was too rough for her to be happy. I tried my best, little cub. I swear I did..." He sighed as she mentioned the tree. "Tauren painted that for her... It's the tree near my home on the hill, where I vowed to take care of her, where we took you when you were a baby for picnics... The last place we saw each other before she was taken away."
 
Back
Top