Romance novels for men?

[Personal attacks, accusations/insults against other Literotica authors, and trolling prohibited per our AH Forum Rules]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Men's romances: the Gor series, right?
 
Last edited:
As a separate genre? I don't think so.

I know that men read and write in the Romance category here. The majority of comments on my one story there appear to be from men.

A lot of men have read classic romances. My uncle used to read "historical novels," which were actually bodice rippers.

More romance stories might appeal to men if the main character were male.


I agree on the Bodice Rippers, since as a male I kind of like that old chauvinistic from back in the day, Also, I've enjoyed some of the BDSM stuff on the site, but then again, That just kinda stokes the caveman mentality a little. FSoG did nothing for me, either the novel or the movie, so now I believe I will try my hand at a BDSM Romace that would appeal to a more realistic crowd.
 
The thought was sparked by this note I received from a reader ...

Yes I noticed how they treat people who do not agree with their thinking. I was only on the chat once and I dont think they liked the fact that I questioned and disagreed with what was written. When it was all said and done, something I pointed out and had to copy and past to prove a point ended up being verified by Tefler. He could have stopped the bullshit if he had just opened his mouth sooner. Instead he let it go on for 5 minutes and in the end when I proved my point was spot on they shut up. But then I was ignored like I was not even there.

Perhaps I'm missing some important context, but on the face of it, "the author should've responded to vindicate me within five minutes" seems like a bit of a weird expectation.
 
I agree on the Bodice Rippers, since as a male I kind of like that old chauvinistic from back in the day, Also, I've enjoyed some of the BDSM stuff on the site, but then again, That just kinda stokes the caveman mentality a little. FSoG did nothing for me, either the novel or the movie, so now I believe I will try my hand at a BDSM Romace that would appeal to a more realistic crowd.

50 shades is an example of how NOT to write. first page had 5 different narrator voices....


or was the narrator supposed to be schizophrenic?
 
No one seemed to have mentioned...

The Executioner
The Destroyer
Longarm
the Nick Carter series

Generally I would think it would be long on mission accomplishment with the girl as a distraction/reward at the end.
 
Can we talk about the half-naked men on the front of most romance novels?

Are these compulsory nowadays for sales? I mean, it's rare to see a romance without one.

I dunno about you, but I get a bit irritated with the lack of variety.
 
Can we talk about the half-naked men on the front of most romance novels?

Are these compulsory nowadays for sales? I mean, it's rare to see a romance without one.

I dunno about you, but I get a bit irritated with the lack of variety.

Book cover design is set up to "usually" signal the genre of the book. Yes, a shirtless hunk is the traditional sign that the book is Romance in a signal that can be seen across a bookstore display counter. The shirtless hunk is similarly a signal of GM, so, if you peruse my titles in Amazon, it will be quite rare not to see one--and a book that doesn't show one doesn't sell as well as one that does. It's a tried and true book sale technique.
 
I think it's funny that you could use the same book cover for a Romance novel and a gay male story.
 
The cover signaling goes deeper than that. It can extend to what gender subsequent characters on the cover are, and what's in the background can be set to type--even the color scheme. Fifty Shades of Grey was being coy that way, as the title blurps out the traditional cover color scheme for BDSM-type books--and that's what you get on the cover of those books, several shades of gray.

This cover of mine, for instance reflects GM and also historical period (and a submissive protagonist as well--both the lace and the dipped head in submission]. Sepia is the color of atmospheric historicals set in the 20s and 30s. This cover won a GM cover competition because of what it reveals about the book off the top.

91fPet+2wvL._AC_UL436_.jpg
 
Last edited:
The thought was sparked by this note I received from a reader with whom I am friends, a man in Texas and a huggable sweetheart, who attempted to join the readership of Tefler's harem series over in Sci-Fi and was rebuffed after being invited to a Discord:

Another unprovoked attack, Etaski? Just like last time... yet you're still the victim and I'm the bully, right?

When it was all said and done, something I pointed out and had to copy and past to prove a point ended up being verified by Tefler. He could have stopped the bullshit if he had just opened his mouth sooner. Instead he let it go on for 5 minutes and in the end when I proved my point was spot on they shut up. But then I was ignored like I was not even there. [/I][/B]

What a wonderful anecdote. Except that never happened.

And given most of Tefler's series involves a large number of "sorority girls"

I see you still haven't read my work, but don't let that stop you critiquing it though!
 
Last edited:
I see you still haven't read my work the way I want you to

Corrected that for you.

Let it be, Tefler, and stop whining, please. There's more than one way to read any story. Sometimes it's unflattering. Sometimes it's hype. Sometimes it's reflective and insightful. I would think you get more than enough praise every day to ignore the other stuff.

Wise words from those more experienced: Leave the viewer to their own perception and keep doing what you do.

That was always the crux of the problem between us. I'll never see it the way you want me to. It's just the way it is.
 
Let it be, Tefler, and stop whining, please.

Wow! You made a baseless and unprovoked attack on me here and I responded. Yet you're telling me to "Let it be"?

You're the instigator here... again.
 
Last edited:
Continue this discussion somewhere else please.

Actually, I'm surprised that post was still in this thread, given the 'Personal Attacks' policy of the site, and the AH in particular.

Sure, Ruben, no problem. I won't be discussing it anywhere else, either.

It was a thought exercise of why we like formulaic writing, romances in particular, and whether it was really that different between men and women. I don't think it is, but that's my opinion.
 
Continue this discussion somewhere else please.

Actually, I'm surprised that post was still in this thread, given the 'Personal Attacks' policy of the site, and the AH in particular.

Sure. It's not me with the axe to grind.
 
Back
Top