Some Great Advice for Writers

Being a fan of television writing (as it's far better than most of the garbage foisted upon people in the multiplexes these days) and being a big Doctor Who fan I'd thought I'd post this interview with Show runner Steven Moffat.

It's not all related to that show if you're not a fan, but about his writing.

He's a great interview subject and it's a short interview at just ten minutes, his advice to anyone writing is a great bit of advice.

http://youtu.be/_qXuTwdlF9k

Thank you this looks awesome, my kids are huge fans of Dr Who and I must admit to being quite partial to a bit of Sherlock, I think Moffat is great, particularly at getting his audience to emotionally engage with his characters. I don't have time to watch it right now, but I've bookmarked it.

And sr71plt I don't need someone to prove their credentials to me as a writer to share a youtube video, I'm really glad the OP did, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Something I often tell my children when they're bickering is 'if you haven't got something nice to say then don't say it.' Maybe you should consider this, because I'd rather people who had useful contributions to make to this board weren't frightened off by the hostility shown by some of you regulars.

*puts flamethrower down* *hides behind sofa*
 
One more good advice for writers is to use this site in structuring bibliography. I don't know about you guys, but personally I hate to manage all these citations and choosing citation style. There're lots of good resources, last time I was using this one, http://kingcitation.com/chicago/, but there're better ones for APA style. It depends.:cattail:
 
One more good advice for writers is to use this site in structuring bibliography. I don't know about you guys, but personally I hate to manage all these citations and choosing citation style. There're lots of good resources, last time I was using this one, http://kingcitation.com/chicago/, but there're better ones for APA style. It depends.:cattail:

Yeaah, I totally support you. It's so annoying :(
 
Not that you'll encounter many bibliographies in short story fiction. :rolleyes:
 
Then you've not yet read The Botanists. I list my (non-plagiarized) sources. Not a formal bibliography, but still...

Absolutely right. And I'll bet you haven't read "Puttin' On the Ritz," which could have had footnotes and a bibliography, except that it's a short story.

(I'm just lying in wait for someone to say that my depiction of Hermann Goring dressing in a red silk dress, with heels, and making waiters from the Ritz Paris dining room waltz with him in his hotel suite isn't believable--I have the source citations ready to flash at them. But you don't footnote short stories.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top