"The Star-Spangled Banner" turns 200

I was reading a sports-oriented board once, and someone started a thread complaining that the lyrics of the anthem, as posted on the scoreboard, were in the form of questions: "O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave/O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?" He was under the impression that it was some sort of liberal weaselyness, expressing doubt that this really was the land of the free and the home of the brave.

But no, those are the lyrics as Key wrote them.

Do they not teach it in school any more? I remember a couple of days in the sixth grade devoted to parsing out the words and learning the background story.

I think you people are nuts.. this song, sung correctly and by someone with a great voice...is amazing.

Unfortunately, we don't have a federal law restricting the performing of the anthem to those people.

For reasons I'll never understand sports promoters repeatedly give the spotlight to egomaniacal, ass-twerking wannabe blues singers who think they'll improve the song with extended warbling on every verse.

I was reading a sports-oriented board once, and someone started a thread complaining that the lyrics of the anthem, as posted on the scoreboard, were in the form of questions: "O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave/O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?" He was under the impression that it was some sort of liberal weaselyness, expressing doubt that this really was the land of the free and the home of the brave.

But no, those are the lyrics as Key wrote them.

Anyone who understands English would know that the question in the last two lines of the song refers to whether or not the flag was still waving, not whether the real estate under attack was populated by free and brave inhabitants.

Back