Bitching about Boston

Why, is there a bronze statue of Edward Everett Hale in the Boston Public Garden ?

(Boston, land of Olde Things- Boston Common, oldest park in America ?)

Educated at Harvard, Edward Everett Hale began his Unitarian ministry by serving for ten years in Worcester, Massachusetts,
and then, for 43 years, pastoring Boston’s South Congregational Church (Unitarian). He was keen to abolish slavery, advance
tolerance, and reform public education, as well as to have the government regulate monopolies.

Asked when he was a U.S. Senate chaplain, “Do you pray for the Senators, Dr. Hale?” he replied,

“No, I look at the Senators, and pray for the country.”

{gsgs comment-Like television, a bronze statue adds 20 pounds to your figure ?}

http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/UIA Online/45hale.html
 
March 5, 2013

yay for Search and Rescue
Snowmobile gave the youngling a lift
Teen was walking out.

Missing teen found. Tuesday morning authorities reported finding a 17-year-old male near Caribou Pass.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...ties-missing-medford-teen-found-on-sugarloaf/

They had to call off the rescue yesterday, because the weather conditions were so bad.
It could have been much worse. Luck of the draw.
 
Playing the if, and when game-

All the snow that melted, may be replaced by new snow.

03/05/2013

The Stormwatch is in effect from late Wednesday night through Friday morning. The forecasters said
the storm would be a long one, with snow becoming heavier early Thursday morning and into the day
Thursday. It’s expected to gradually taper off by Friday.

Up to 10 inches of snow could fall in some areas of Eastern and Central Massachusetts from a storm that will
arrive Wednesday night and persist into Friday morning, National Weather Service forecasters said this after-
noon.

Potentially dangerous flooding along the coast that could rival, in some areas, the impacts of the Blizzard of 2013.

“I can guarantee you that many beaches will look quite different this summer after all of these coastal storms.”
-David Epstein, meteorologist

http://boston.com/metrodesk/2013/03...ervice-says/7KAhagJVscayEOHwAUrgXL/story.html
 
Gave us, a half a billion dollars worth of help, and more- When no one else, answered the plea. *sigh*
 
A nice weekend for a trip-

http://www.pem.org/press/press_release/236-the_nick_cave_experience_at_pem

Original and otherworldly, Nick Cave's art blends the boundaries between sculpture, costume, video, dance and public performance in unexpected ways. The Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) continues its growing contemporary art program with three never-before-seen Nick Cave Soundsuits made especially for this exhibition, alongside his immersive film projection. FreePort [No. 006]: Nick Cave will be on view at PEM March 2 through May 27, 2013.

Cave's humanoid Soundsuit sculptures are built from a diverse bricolage of found objects and materials collected by the artist, including twigs, sisal, beads, sequins and feathers. When worn, Cave's Soundsuits take on a larger-than-life dimension, obscuring the wearer's identity, gender and class and unleashing the sculpture's kinetic potential. Drawing on his experience with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Cave choreographs performers' movements to activate the Soundsuits' inherent motion and highlight their mesmerizing appeal. Two Soundsuit performance films, Drive-by and Clowning, will be presented in conjunction with this exhibition.

Cave, who since the early 1990s has created more than 500 Soundsuits, plans to explore new artistic avenues.
 
TV Weather reporter's van, parked along the side of a main thoroughfare.
Who is pouring over the footage and finding psycho, dangerous drivers,
doing insane things, on the roads ?
 


BOX_0.png




 
It must be cold and brisk, outside, My face and ears are thawing. *bloodrush tingles* Like tonic bubbles.
 
TV interrupts news for National Weather Advisory for Massachusetts

Moar snow Moar flooding Moar wind. Less visibility.

A winter storm warning went into effect at 7 this morning, and is expected to remain in effect until 1 Friday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service.

Some schools in northern Central Massachusetts are closed today. Other districts called for delayed openings or early dismissals.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130307/NEWS/303079710/1116

Clue # 1

Boston is getting hit, too.
 
More than a Nor' Easter ?

High tide pushes at houses. A blanket of sea foam. Heavy sprays over the sea wall. Another high tide in the morning.

Mayor Menino is asking people to stay off the roads, for the morning commute.

Some roads may be dangerous to drive on. Slide off the road.

Northeastern Uni took it seriously.

Worcester has bought a deficit- Way over budget- snow removal is expensive.

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/weather_wisdom/2013/03/snow_will_accumulate_overnight.html

The if and when game. The second wing of the storm is headed for Boston.

Might drag in to Saturday. Check your airport cancellations.
 
Wading through snow, or wading through a flood ?

Snow will continue through Friday morning and perhaps into the mid-to-late afternoon across portions of the coast before winding down.

A heavy, wet snowfall accumulation of 6 to 10 inches is possible in the metro Boston area.

South of Boston, along the coast 4 to 8 inches were forecast. Cape Cod and Cape Ann will see 2 to 5 inches

The MBTA seems to be having some problems.

The website did open to a weather alert instead of the usual page.

http://www.mbta.com/weather/

Yes. We got snow. Time to go and dig out.
 
Center of storm system, 600 miles to the East- Baby Nemo, has the power. Who was picked to get two feet of snow, this time ?
 
Stopped snowing. Now, the TV news crews are obsessing about the floods. High tide tonight, but not wicked high.
 
Moar snow tonight ? Slippery tonight, black ice tomorrow night. (Highly possible.) Melt-y and sloppy, Saturday.
 
It's not your grandparent's Boston Globe, anymore.

How did Boston.com, powered by the Boston Globe, glom on to this trash?
-Erik Wemple on March 11, 2013

“The story arrived deep within our [Boston.com] site from a third party vendor who partners on some finance and market pages
on our site. It was never on the Boston.com homepage. We never knew it was there till we heard about it from outside.”
- Brian McGrory, editor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-com-had-no-control-over-bogus-krugman-post/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/files/2013/03/krugman.jpg

PS- thør, I am imagining, that my snow is crying out- "Help, I'm melting!"
PSS- thør, I am in envy, of the fact that you have year 'round snow.

All I have I have, is slushy little piles left over from the Zamboni scrapings.
 
It's not your grandparent's Boston Globe, anymore.

How did Boston.com, powered by the Boston Globe, glom on to this trash?
-Erik Wemple on March 11, 2013

“The story arrived deep within our [Boston.com] site from a third party vendor who partners on some finance and market pages
on our site. It was never on the Boston.com homepage. We never knew it was there till we heard about it from outside.”
- Brian McGrory, editor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-com-had-no-control-over-bogus-krugman-post/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/files/2013/03/krugman.jpg

PS- thør, I am imagining, that my snow is crying out- "Help, I'm melting!"
PSS- thør, I am in envy, of the fact that you have year 'round snow.

All I have I have, is slushy little piles left over from the Zamboni scrapings.


The credibility of everything is diminished. I believe very little on economics or climate from The New York Times and almost nothing from NPR these days.


Common sense and honesty have taken a backseat to simply producing what the readers and listeners want to read and hear.


 
All through that day, we kept up with the news- radio, TV.
I was just watching Ed Sullivan re- visit- and was kind of floored,
to hear that fans were tear gassed at Boston Garden.

I do not know if I heard that fans were gassed. I do know that I heard that it
was so hot and breathless at the Garden, that Mick dumped water on the fans.
Mick used the silver pail, on the next night, to dump confetti.

July 18, 1972
July 19, 1972

“Without question it was the Stones in ’72 at the Garden. It was as amazing as you can imagine. And it was a combination
of events that you just can’t orchestrate. It was the kind of thing that made the Stones what they are. I mean, the biggest
rock-and-roll outlaws in the world get arrested and then make a mad dash to Boston with a police escort! And, I remember
Mayor White throwing a football out into the crowd to keep everyone occupied. And, then, finally, they arrived:
the street-fighting men with all the rock-and-roll lifestyle they had. And they kicked ass.”

- Joe Perry

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/25544-40-greatest-concerts-in-Boston-history-3/
 
Mar. 12, 2013

Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston replaced disgraced Cardinal Bernard Law

Cardinal Bernard Law was saved from facing the RICO Act by the Pope.
(Cardinal Bernhard Law ran away from Boston. The RICO Act was used on others, who covered up the rape of children.)

Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston is the chairman of the U.S. bishops' Committee on Pro-Life Activities.

Cardinal Sean O'Malley has asked members of the House to approve the Health Care Conscience Rights Act.

(If it becomes a law, anyone in the health care profession will be allowed to deny care to patients if they feel like it.)
Is this Part II, of the fight over providing birth control to women who work in Catholic owned hospitals ?

Cardinal Sean O'Malley is in Rome to participate in the conclave to select a new pope.

Cardinal Sean O'Malley wanted his Boston Catholics to pay attention to Faithful Citizenship: A Catholic Call to Political Responsibility

("Voter's Guide" identifies five issues it calls "non-negotiable": abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem-cell research, human cloning
and same-sex marriage. Supporting any of these issues, according to the guide, would disqualify a political candidate as a viable
option for a faithful Catholic. )

Pledge to the flag of Vatican City ! Do not pledge to the American flag.

The Cardinal made a pledge to shed his blood. He did not pledge to shed his blood for America.
 
"Vatican analysts for the leading Italian newspapers have repeatedly listed
Cardinal Sean O’Malley as one of the favorite contenders in the conclave"

"Vatican III would have to look at things like the dignity of the human person,
empowerment of the laity, the role of women and the sex abuse scandal"

"The Synod of the Bishops took place in Rome in October 2012 and was dedicated
to “The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith"

{gsgs comment- Was it a coincidence that the History Channel picked this time period, to show their religious miniseries ?}

{gsgs comment- Will we hear the words, Giovanni Patrizio (Eminence Seán Cardinal Patrick O’Malley) ? }
 
3/14/2013

Sour grapes, from the little @#%&! in a brown robe ? Cardinal Patrick O’Malley wore his red party dress and red hat,
during his visit to Vatican City.

"....during his visit to Saint Mary Major, [newly minted Pope] Francis “discreetly’’ greeted Cardinal Bernard F. Law,
who was the archpriest of the basilica before he retired from that post."

Ugghhhh! I am guessing, that Cardinal Bernard @#%&! F. Law received the assurances he wanted.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...ing-vatican/ASAF5f2wgvCUg2i7O5H0KI/story.html
 
Wow. Nick Cave at the Peabody Essex? Badass. Thanks for the heads up! I moved back to this town last year. In spite of the awful weather and the rudeness and the bad catholic culture, I love the hell out of Boston.
 
Half arsed management of the storm. It is a mess, out there.

$40,000.00 per storm, for the bedroom towns. Snow showers,

tonight ? You know, how it goes....
 
Back
Top