I've loved poetry most of my life...

NebraskaFetish

Really Experienced
...but am not sure "if" I'm a poet. Does that make sense? Does that sound too odd? I've taken creative writing classes in high school and college and have loved writing for many, many years.

When I've worked on poetry, it's always been something that's come from my heart. Sometimes it rhymes and sometimes not. Sometimes I've worked on a structured set of stanzas and plenty of times I've just "freestyled" it.

I know I'd never be anywhere close to the poetic greats out there, but "what makes one a poet"? Or, maybe the better question is, to you poets at Lit what makes you feel like one?

Greetings, Nebraska.

I feel like a poet most when my own writings play out in my thoughts like a song on the radio.

Hello, Nebraska!
I feel like a poet in two ways:
1. When I remember that I lived like a poet and try to capture the essence of any such moments in verses.
2. When I think that this world is too beautiful (though it could do with some improving) and has to be recorded in songs.
In both I am only partially successful.

:)

I don't feel like a poet anymore than I feel like a human, mother, woman. I just am.

Hi Nebraska. :)

I don't think it matters whether I feel like a poet. It matters that I write (and read). When I am actually writing poetry I don't think to myself "hey I'm a poet now." I am, however happy when I am writing poems. Maybe "happy" isn't quite the right word, either--maybe more like I feel like I'm doing something I should be doing.

Hello all. :) Thank you for your insight thus far. I've been checking out the various boards of Lit and the poetry one did catch my eye. I guess I'm still finding myself and/or my place, and perhaps will submit poetry of my own sometime.

Hello all. :) Thank you for your insight thus far. I've been checking out the various boards of Lit and the poetry one did catch my eye. I guess I'm still finding myself and/or my place, and perhaps will submit poetry of my own sometime.

I hope you do, Nebraska. Speaking for myself, I don't think I ever thought about your question, which isn't to say you shouldn't think about it if it's important to you.

I suppose it's a question that's been asked many times and everybody's answer is different because what you (or I) feel is poetry is going to differ in everybody elses eyes. First and foremost write for yourself, sure ask others opinions as to how you can better your writing that's the way you will grow and learn how to express yourself more poetically.
If you scroll through the various threads you will find tutorials, a lot of them mine but don't let that fool you I'm still learning too! There's some great Tutors on here if you only ask, they taught me far more than I have ever learned elsewhere.
So welcome ............ enjoy :)

Annie's Teach Ins are awesome check out the "Here there be challenges" thread on the main page in the stickies and most are in there, as well as many other writing challenges to help you spark some inspiration :)

as to the question from my perspective I'm still not a poet but I do like to string words together and play around.

if you do submit some writing there are a lot of helpful people that will critique but poetry is a very quiet part of lit for the most part, so don't be discouraged by a lack of responses.

Annie's Teach Ins are awesome check out the "Here there be challenges" thread on the main page in the stickies and most are in there, as well as many other writing challenges to help you spark some inspiration :)

as to the question from my perspective I'm still not a poet but I do like to string words together and play around.

if you do submit some writing there are a lot of helpful people that will critique but poetry is a very quiet part of lit for the most part, so don't be discouraged by a lack of responses.

Thank you Tod :rose:

...but am not sure "if" I'm a poet. Does that make sense? Does that sound too odd? I've taken creative writing classes in high school and college and have loved writing for many, many years.

When I've worked on poetry, it's always been something that's come from my heart. Sometimes it rhymes and sometimes not. Sometimes I've worked on a structured set of stanzas and plenty of times I've just "freestyled" it.

I know I'd never be anywhere close to the poetic greats out there, but "what makes one a poet"? Or, maybe the better question is, to you poets at Lit what makes you feel like one?

If you want to be an automotive mechanic, you only need two things. First, you have to want to work on a car. Second, you have to find someone to pay you to do it. Tools and training are secondary, and not all that important.

To be a poet, requires much less. In modern times, we have abandoned all definitions of poetry which limit the form of a poem. I submit the seven line non rhyming limerick as an example. One cannot claim it is not a limerick, anymore than one can claim it is not a poem. I'm sure poets are to blame for this state of affairs and we only have ourselves to blame.

In short, if you want to be a poet, you are one. The poetry is as secondary as the mechanic's socket set.

Back