To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

"I was trained to take care of monstrous war stallions, and when I wasn't so scrawny anymore, I started fighting from their backs. I think I'm qualified." Christopher straightened his jacket, pretending to be insulted despite the grin on his face.
 
"Trust me, my love, you are anything but scrawny now." Kayla said with a hint of blush on her cheeks. "I can attest to just how strong you are."
 
"And I can attest to how much of a vixen you're turning into," Christopher teased her back, stepping behind her chair to smooth his hands down her arms in that goosebump-raising way while he planted a heated kiss to the connection of her neck and shoulder. Without waiting for a reaction, he stepped away to return to his work with a smirk on his face.
 
Kayla shivered as Christopher kissed the back of her neck before he smirked at her and went to return to his work. "That, my husband, will get you placed in the dungeon!" She called after him with a silly little smirk on her face.
 
"Good thing I've got all the keys, then!" Christopher called back as he went. That day, a bounty was set out for Sedgerickssen. By Ulfric's advice, it was a small fortune of a reward, but it demanded that he be alive. To bring him in dead would garner no reward at all. Ulfric needed him alive to better understand the Loyalists.

Christopher nearly doubled the city guard and the palace guard, ordering that no one without due cause or summons may enter. He placed guardsmen in the kitchens and at the cellar entrance to ward off possible poisoning attempts, and though he didn't give Kayla a personal guard, he made sure that Ulfric's more shadowy and unseen men were always within earshot of her when he could not be by her side. He did his best to keep everyone comfortable but well-protected.
 
Kayla continued her work, refusing to be interrupted by the pesky news of a rebel in her territory. She set a new tax structure and sent it off to the rest of her council to approve. She worked harder on that piece of legislature then she had anything else in her life. She was exhausted when the courier finally took it away and she sat back in her chair with a happy sigh.
 
As the courier opened the door to leave, Ulfric stepped in quietly and let the door shut behind him. "You know, your husband is a very interesting man. He can't hardly speak Norwegian at all, yet he manages to bring up a perfect understanding and trust with his men and the people he protects. Just ten minutes ago, he apprehended a thief while he was out to check on patrols."
 
"Christopher is dedicated to his queen and country." Kayla said as she looked at Ulfrid with a smile. "Have a seat and tell me how your search has been going."

She adored her adviser and took his opinion under great consideration. He reminded her of her step-father and Vincenzo was one of the greatest men she had ever met in her life.
 
"Search? Not so much a search as a waiting game." Ulfric pulled a chair from where it sat against the wall and he sat down across from her with a soft sigh as he settled. "All I need to do is listen and wait... But not too long." He never really told her too much about his spy network, but he told her what was important on a need-to-know basis. "I have the Guildmaster of my order of spies posting men anywhere and everywhere that information might appear. I've sent word to my daughter to arrange the same with the men she leads."
 
"Ulfric, they don't frighten me." Kayla said as she looked at her closest adviser. "To me they are nothing but cowards who have to hide in the shadows in order to do their work."
 
"I know you're not afraid, and as much as that gives me heart, it also terrifies me. Shadows will mask the flash of a drawn dagger, Kayla... If you don't pay attention, you might miss it. I don't want you to be scared or paranoid, but I want you to be careful."
 
"I will be careful." Kayla promised as she took Ulfric's hands in her own and squeezed them tightly. "I will not go anywhere without a guard or Christopher, if that makes you feel better."
 
"It makes me feel like any attack will end with a dead assassin and a bloody Lord Protector, which is honestly a little better." Ulfric lifted her hand to kiss it. "I love you dearly, Kayla, and so do Elhardt and many of your Jarls and lords. As safe as we know our sister and queen to be under the protection of Trondheim and her general, we still worry about misfortune that might befall you."
 
"If I do fall, Ulfric, it was in duty to my kingdom. Never feel sad about that. There are kings and queens all through history that would have wished to do the same." Kayla said softly as they talked a little while longer before he retired for the night.

Kayla worked until late in the evening, unable to sleep without Christopher by her side. She wondered what was keeping her husband that evening
 
Finally, just before midnight, Christopher arrived looking exhausted. With a deep yawn, he laid aside his uniform jacket before looking to Kayla. "Love, what're you doin' up?" He stepped over to kiss her cheek and wrap his arms around her.
 
"Waiting for you." She said as he kissed her cheek and hugged her tightly. "I can't sleep without you around, Chris."
 
"Aw, my poor lovely little lass," Chris teased and pulled her in closer to kiss her tenderly. "I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted and I need sleep, especially after how long you kept me up last time."
 
"Well, if my husband weren't so demanding on my time, I might have let you go to bed early last night." Kayla commented as she wrapped her arms around his waist and pressed her head against his shoulder. "I don't like it when you're gone so long. I start to worry that something happened to you."
 
"I'm sorry, love," Christopher leaned his head down to kiss her neck lightly in apology. "Work isn't so conducive to love." He took one of her hands and lifted her chin with a smile. "I may not be able to speak Norwegian yet, but I'll make sure to tell my men that the Queen demands I come home on time." With a chuckle, he pressed a soft kiss to her lips.
 
"They'll understand once you explain it's for a demanding queen." Kayla said with a smile as she returned her husband's kiss. "Come and sit by the fire and tell me about your search. I'll call for some warm cider."
 
"Well," Christopher sighed as he sat down. "We're waitin' more than anything. But we got a lead on a local group o' rebels tha' I'm going t'try to round up an' question." He looked up as she caught a passing serving woman and asked for the cider. He smiled as she returned to his side and he wrapped his arms around her to press a warm and inviting kiss to her lips. "How 'bout you?"
 
"I have been busy running a kingdom, my love." Kayla teased as he asked her about her day. "Boring laws that I have sent to have approved. It kept me at my desk all day long."
 
"Then I think tomorrow y' should do somethin' more interesting. I'm not goin' t' be so busy, so maybe we can take th' time to explore a bit o' your capital city," he offered. "Ulfric won't be too keen, but I'll be sure to increase security for 'is peace o' mind.
 
"Perhaps you could take me to all of your favorite haunts." She murmured with a smile on her face, loving the fact that he thought about her in the ways that he did. "Since you go into the city more often then I."
 
"We'll see what 'appens. We may just end up wanderin' a bit." He laid back on the sofa, his head in her lap. He gazed up at her with a grin, lifting a hand to touch her cheek. "Hm... 'ave I told you lately tha' you're th'most beautiful thing I've ever seen?"
 
Back
Top