The Lady of Skye (closed)

"Maybe people will start to come back." Kitty said, taking her brother's hand and squeezing it tightly. "I can only hope."
 
"If they don't now, they will someday when Durban takes the throne," Matthias promised her. "With you keeping him from losing his heart now, he'll be a fine king. And supported by his brothers, he'll make Inverness a haven the way it was before Tamblin and his father."
 
"I hope I live long enough to see the day." She said softly as her brother promised that one day everything would turn out right again.
 
"You will, love. I think your children will make sure of that more than anyone else," Matthias murmured, kissing her cheek and giving her hand a squeeze.

Martin eventually returned looking quite calm, and it took another minute for Tamblin to walk in as well looking a little more neutral than before, but still clearly quiet and depressed. It was almost a relief to him when Kayla came seeing his attention for a moment, asking his permission to go riding with Martin. He assured her that she didn't need permission for that sort of thing, and sent her along.
 
"Come with me, Da. You can ride on Thistle with me." Kayla insisted, pulling on his broad hand to get him to come with her. "Please? I can't ride really, really well."
 
Tamblin hesitated with a glance to Martin who, to his credit, remained quite calm and gave him a nod of welcome. Tamblin had no excuses, so he finally caved. "Alright, lass..." He scooped her up with ease and walked out with Martin once more. He still couldn't understand why Kayla insisted on loving him when her siblings so clearly taught her not to get attached or hopeful. And it wasn't long before Ashien trotted along after his sister, less to join in and more to keep watch over her. Boar eventually wandered out too, never comfortable with the twins being near Tamblin, even with the safety of Martin's presence.
 
Kitty watched the children run out after Tamblin and her father and she could only hope that perhaps Martin could teach them all to love their father for who he was. Maybe Mat would be right and her Pa could finally get her out of a marriage that was slowly killing her.

Before any more thoughts could pass through her head, a terrifying scream sounded from down the hallway. Kitty glanced around the great hall quickly, all of her children and her Ma accounted for. She glanced towards Mat as he got to his feet quickly, another screaming sounding from down the hallway as a serving woman hurried into the great hall with a worried look on her face.

"My lord. It's that woman. She's screaming in her sleep." The woman said, wringing her hands in her apron.
 
Matthias had been on his feet in an instant, thinking the scream had been Lucina or Kitty or a female member of staff. When the woman came out to tell him what was happening, he thanked her quietly and quickly made his way off toward the guest rooms.

A guard had woken Rosie, trying to calm her, and Matthias appeared in the doorway to see the man still trying to calm her.
 
Rosie was shaking, sobbing into her hands as the horrible images of her dream haunted her. She didn't even hear the guard as he tried to help calm her down after she had been woken so rudely by her dreams. She was embarrassed, frightened, and horribly disturbed by what she had seen in her dreams and she wondered if the nightmares would ever stop.

"I need to leave." She murmured, pushing herself onto shaking legs. "Please bring me my clothes. I have to leave."
 
Matthias quietly dismissed the guard, keeping his distance so that Rosie wouldn't feel trapped. "Where will you go?" He asked quietly, not telling her that she couldn't go, but not letting her go and get herself lost and caught out alone.
 
"I don't know. On another ship?" Rosie said, looking towards Matthias as he dismissed the guard. "I just can't stay here. Please don't make me stay here."
 
"I can't just send you off without any prospects or a place to go where you'll be safe. What's got you so spooked?" He asked softly.
 
"Those men." Rosie murmured, sinking back to the bed as great tears appeared on her lashes and dropped down her cheeks. "They'll come here and find me. He promised they wouldn't but I know they will. And then I'll have to go back. I don't ever want to go back."
 
"No one is going to reach you here," Matthias told her with absolute certainty. "Even if someone did follow, you will never be dragged back to the mainland. That is a promise. You are safe as long as my family has anything to say about it."

Matthias slowly moved round to her side, pulling out a kerchief to offer to her. "Whoever sent you here, the chance he took on your safety won't be in vain."
 
"I don't know who he is. I swear that I don't." Rosie said in a mess of tears as she took the offered kerchief and tried to dry her cheeks. "I don't even really remember the men. They haunt my dreams and I know that they did horrible things."
 
"It's alright," Matthias assured her when she told him she couldn't remember. "No matter what you can or can't remember, you're safe. We may find out at some point, but you don't need to be afraid of going back." Matthias had always been an understanding and accommodating sort, but he was also very firm and confident. There was no hint of doubt in his words or his expression as he reassured an absolute stranger that she was protected while he was around.
 
"How can you promise that?" Rosie asked, sniffling as she looked up at Matthias. "You don't know. You don't know the horrible things that people can do to one another."
 
"Maybe not from your perspective, but I do know more than most pomped up nobles. I've traveled far and wide learning from leaders, and I've seen the best and the worst. I've seen what humans will do to others for money and entertainment. I may not have been on the receiving end, but I have seen some of it." Matthias sat down beside her.
 
"I wish my dreams would stop." Rosie murmured in a soft, defeated voice, wringing the kerchief between her fingers. "I would give anything to sleep through the night without the painful dreams."

She was quiet for a moment, slowly sagging under the weight of her sorrow and her terrible nightmares. "I tried once to end them all." She showed him her right wrist, the angry scar from the dagger still red against her pale skin. "I got in trouble."
 
Matthias didn't react with horror or anger like others might have in her past. His expression remained calm as he looked down at her arm, and he gently took her hand. "I don't know how to help, Miss. But I'd like to. If you need a sympathetic ear, I'm willing."
 
"I wish I could talk about it." Rosie said softly as he took her hand. "I don't know if it would make me feel better."

Rosie let out a small sigh as if she had the weight of the world on her shoulders and squeezed his hand gently. "I'll have to repay you for all of this. I promise I will when I have the money."
 
"Don't worry about it. The only repayment I need is making sure you can stand on your own two feet when you're ready," Matthias assured her. He had shown sympathy, but never pity for the stranger with no memories. While he would support her as well as the rest of the wrecked crew, he avoided coddling and pity at all costs.
 
"I heard children outside. Are they yours?" Rosie asked, looking at Matthias as they simply talked in soft tones. "I'm sorry if I frightened them. I didn't mean to start screaming."

She remembered enjoying small children but she couldn't really remember ever being around them. Did she have children of her own? That she didn't even know with certainty. The healer had asked her so many questions that she simply had no member of. It made her sad to think about that.
 
"My sister's. The littlest ones have been curious about you and the sailors. I could hardly get them to leave the sailors be once we arrived." Matthias glanced toward the door. "They're lovely children, and don't think you startled them. They'll be more concerned with whether you're okay, rather than any fright."
 
"Perhaps I'll meet them soon." Rosie said with a sigh. "I'm weary. Even my bones are tired. Perhaps I'm older than I think I am."

Rosie knew she was talking in riddles and yet she couldn't make herself stop. He would probably think that she was odd, maybe a little muddled in the head. Still, she couldn't stop herself from saying odd things.

"If I tried to go back to sleep, would you stay until I do?" Rosie asked, looking up at Matthias with her wide eyes, exhaustion showing clearly on her face.
 
Back
Top