I like Ships too


I know, believe me, I know (nice illustration, by the way— I'd love to see a similar lengthwise comparison).

It is almost impossible to imagine just how gargantuan those damn things are until you cruise 25' away from the length of 1,000' worth of floating hotel/apartment building.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that one of those things could tie up alongside a pier in any kind of crosswind without the assistance of three tugs.

God knows what they'd do if one of 'em was ever caught in a blow.



The Titanic was a liner travelling between specified ports on a regular timetable. She was designed to navigate the North Atlantic all year round before accurate weather forecasting. She was expected to maintain a regular schedule whatever the weather or sea conditions.

Modern cruise ships could not survive the winter North Atlantic without accurate satellite weather predictions that allow them to avoid storms or rough seas. They aren't real ships that can plough on through any sea. They are mobile hotels.

Liners aren't made anymore. Their robustness of construction, their considerable engine power and their limited passenger capacity made them uneconomic for cruising. They couldn't compete with long haul air travel.
 
longship+2.jpg
 

The April, 2018 issue of Vanity Fair has a riveting account of the sinking of the El Faro, a U.S.-flagged container ship that unknowingly sailed into the eye of Hurricane Joaquin in 2015 and sank in 15,000 feet of water with the loss of all hands.

El_Faro_ship.jpg


The article is largely based on the recovered voyage data recorder and the last 20 hours of conversations on the doomed vessel's bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Faro

On the whole, the story is absolutely terrifying— the usual cascade of seemingly minor problems accumulating to produce catastrophe. Reading the crew's words while knowing that they're all going to be dead in twelve/six/three hours is chilling.

It was both illuminating and horrifying. We sit here on land with our instant access to the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service radar and wonder how anybody could sail into the eye of a hurricane.

 
37703393_285499155348159_8027633887309987840_n.jpg



The “Arctic P” super yacht owned by billionaire James Packer (worth $80 million dollars) in Kukak Bay on the Katmai coast today 7/22/18
 
Back
Top