re-submit a story?

I wrote "Pavlov's Kitty" 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I mistakenly had comments turned off at time of posting in LW. I turned it on after a few weeks, but obviously any readers had moved on without any potential comment. I need a bit of feedback to inspire a possible 2nd chapter. Can this story somehow be re-posted for another go?

I wrote "Pavlov's Kitty" 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I mistakenly had comments turned off at time of posting in LW. I turned it on after a few weeks, but obviously any readers had moved on without any potential comment. I need a bit of feedback to inspire a possible 2nd chapter. Can this story somehow be re-posted for another go?

Delete it, then re-submit. Now, you may wonder, "How do I delete a piece?" I asked Laurel and got this response:

Re: Please delete a post
Hi!

First, I want to let you know that you have every right to remove your stories from the site at any time for any reason.

Second, if you feel comfortable doing so, I'd appreciate knowing the reason(s) for your decision. We strive to improve Literotica ever day, and your comments can help us mend things that might need mending.

Be aware that we do not store site submission data - including votes, comments, and the text itself. Once it is deleted from our servers, we cannot restore it.

For security purposes and to make sure you (as the author) are the one making the removal request, you must follow this procedure: log into your account and create a story titled "REMOVE". In the body of the story, put the names of the submissions you wish removed along with (optionally) the reason for their removal. If you want all of your work removed, you can put that rather than listing every submission.

Story removals are usually done within 4-7 days.

Thanks for your support, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Once the story is gone, it is GONE, and you can re-submit, no problem.

Why do you need feedback for a second part? If you have a story to tell, go for it.

I think you can turn comments back on, too, although reposting it will put it in the "new" list which is what's going to generate most reads and comments, I think. Good luck.

Why do you need feedback for a second part? If you have a story to tell, go for it.

I think you can turn comments back on, too, although reposting it will put it in the "new" list which is what's going to generate most reads and comments, I think. Good luck.

It will, but we ask that authors not do that if at all possible. Readers come to the New Stories page looking for stories they haven't read before. When writers remove and resubmit stories, it is not uncommon for readers to either 1) report the work as a plagiarism ("I know I already read this on the site somewhere...") or 2) read the first bit, realize they've already read the story, and back-click.

We've had authors remove very popular works from the site, then resubmit them at a later date. The stories never achieve their previous rankings because many fans have already read and voted.

We don't have a policy forbidding the removal and posting of previous work because it's not too common of a thing and we understand there are circumstances where it might be necessary. Also, because of the volume of stories submitted, it's difficult for us to tell if we've read the story before or not. The only policy we do have is that previously submitted stories are not eligible to win any contests.

But if it becomes a thing - if people start removing stories and reposting them to stay on the New Stories page - we may have to make some sort of policy. We prefer less rules over more, so hopefully this will not be necessary. :rose:

FYI, if you want to make any changes to a posted story (text, category, tags, title, etc.), please follow the instructions here:
http://literotica.com/faq/05235347.shtml#05313767

If you have any questions, please let me know!

So let me get this straight...

You wrote only part of a story 4 years ago and left your readers hanging. Now you want to re-post the story and only write an addition chapter if your feel the comments warrant it. If not you would leave them hanging a 2nd. time?

How about this...

Why not write an entirely new story and finish it. Try posting it with comments and see if you want to write another (whole) story?

It will, but we ask that authors not do that if at all possible. Readers come to the New Stories page looking for stories they haven't read before. When writers remove and resubmit stories, it is not uncommon for readers to either 1) report the work as a plagiarism ("I know I already read this on the site somewhere...") or 2) read the first bit, realize they've already read the story, and back-click.

Thanks, Laurel. I think I meant to go on and say something about submitting an edited copy using similar steps.

I agree that authors shouldn't take down and re-submit stories as a regular thing, but I admit I was considering it with some stories I took down -- four or five years ago -- just to put them back up for those who enjoyed them before and perhaps to get new eyes on them. Personally I wouldn't be concerned about recapturing any former ratings or votes.

Thanks, Laurel. I think I meant to go on and say something about submitting an edited copy using similar steps.

I agree that authors shouldn't take down and re-submit stories as a regular thing, but I admit I was considering it with some stories I took down -- four or five years ago -- just to put them back up for those who enjoyed them before and perhaps to get new eyes on them. Personally I wouldn't be concerned about recapturing any former ratings or votes.

I wouldn't do that on a Web site, but I do it in the marketplace. The e-book market was so young back when I started publishing erotica there that I've found there's a whole new market for an expanded or further polished version of a three- or four-year-old e-book. I'm doing this mostly on a change of publishers. Of course a sentence is included in the blurb warning that it's a relaunch (and noting whether it's also a change of any sort). This should be enough for a previous reader to decide whether to acquire it again.

There are plenty of other erotica sites. You could just submit it somewhere it hasn't yet been featured and reach some new readers there. Which is probably not a bad idea just on its own merits.

Back