Author Reconstruction

I agree, Mansfield Park is one of those rare books which improves as a film. Fair point that Fanny is a Gothic heroine, but Edmund! He's no sort of hero at all

You have to read it in such an intellectual way to get into it. And Edmund is so shallow *yawn*. Even Henry Crawford is kinda predictable.

But Rozema's film is deliciously :devil: tee hee hee! Harold Pinter is brilliant.

Let's get us back on point.

I think Serafina and Naoko haven't chosen anyone. They've commented on other people's choices but I am curious as to their own.

Unless I am mistaken and they did choose and I simply missed it. :)

I think Serafina and Naoko haven't chosen anyone. They've commented on other people's choices but I am curious as to their own.

You've not added Isak Dinesen for Seven Gothic Tales and Out of Africa to your OP list. ;) I bring it up because women are in rather short supply on your list, and I don't think they should be.

Okay, I'm willing to go with Iain Banks, who did really die in his prime and not so long ago. (I say this as a favor to others--he wasn't much to my taste, though I admit his quality as a writer.)

I won't agree to people who would fritter away the additional time we gave them drinking (e.g. Chandler) or writing stuff I don't want to read (e.g. Sayers). Nor people who died so long ago that their stuff would be hopelessly out of fashion now (sorry, Willy), or people who bailed out of their own volition and deserve to be left in peace (e.g. Wallace).

Last edited:
You've not added Isak Dinesen for Seven Gothic Tales and Out of Africa to your OP list. ;) I bring it up because women are in rather short supply on your list, and I don't think they should be.

Females are slaves to modern fashions, the idea of making anything old new again offends them.

Given the choice, she'd rather wear a new dress to her funeral than an old dress to your's.

Last edited by a moderator:
...the idea of making anything old new again offends them.

Well... :rolleyes:

vaginal-rejuvenation-surgery-1-728.jpg

Females are slaves to modern fashions, the idea of making anything old new again offends them.

Given the choice, she'd rather wear a new dress to her funeral than an old dress to your's.

Spoken like a true female...?

As soon as someone confirms Isak as their 1 choice, I will add. No one has as of yet said so. Naoko did DISCUSS Isak, but did not choose. :p

Okay, I'm willing to go with Iain Banks, who did really die in his prime and not so long ago. (I say this as a favor to others--he wasn't much to my taste, though I admit his quality as a writer.)

I won't agree to people who would fritter away the additional time we gave them drinking (e.g. Chandler) or writing stuff I don't want to read (e.g. Sayers). Nor people who died so long ago that their stuff would be hopelessly out of fashion now (sorry, Willy), or people who bailed out of their own volition and deserve to be left in peace (e.g. Wallace).

Iaian Banks is already on the list, but if that's your choice, that's your choice. :)

*whisper* - just watch the film! Personally I find the only way I can read the novel is to think about how Jane Austen must've been sniggering up her mamaluke sleeve inventing this classic Gothic novel heroine, so pallid and demure that she can barely be seen in her white muslin dresses.

I must admit I haven't read the novel, but I suspect it suffers a bit from lack of context; the tongue-in-cheek aspects would probably have been more obvious to JA's contemporaries than they are now.

:eek: there is a whole series of them!

yep. We stopped at one, before it could turn us off sex altogether. That bad.

One of my "favourite" parts was when Elizabeth and Darcy start discussing Neanderthal Man, who wasn't named for another forty years after JA's death.

One of my "favourite" parts was when Elizabeth and Darcy start discussing Neanderthal Man, who wasn't named for another forty years after JA's death.

OMG! I can't resist it ... can I bear to hear how on Earth Darcy and Elizabeth end up talking about Neanderthal Man? :eek:

Sorry, I am being very :devil:. I'm enjoying the Austen conversation so much. Y'know me, I am an overqualified tease ;).

I will try to think of someone. Dead people are not normally my thing, even writing werewolf stories makes me laugh immoderately sometimes. But for you, dahlink, I will do my best.
:heart:

OMG! I can't resist it ... can I bear to hear how on Earth Darcy and Elizabeth end up talking about Neanderthal Man? :eek:

I think one of them was comparing some of the locals to Neanderthals. It came across as "let's establish how well-read Lizzy and Darcy are" but misfired badly.

I think one of them was comparing some of the locals to Neanderthals. It came across as "let's establish how well-read Lizzy and Darcy are" but misfired badly.

It cannot possibly have been as bad as that scene in Titanic where they name-drop Picasso as an irony trowel.

I wonder if Stephen Hawking would be on this list if he had passed away.

I find him rather fascinating. What level of will must he have to be almost completely immobilized and yet continue to advance the exploration of the quantum world.

It cannot possibly have been as bad as that scene in Titanic where they name-drop Picasso as an irony trowel.

Picasso had been painting since around 1901; his paintings weren't on the Titanic but it would at least have been chronologically possible.

"Neanderthal Man" was named in 1856, with the first fossil discoveries in the 1820s; P&P is set in the late 1700s, so talking about it then is the equivalent of having JFK pick up his iPhone to dial Khrushchev. (Also, I'm more of a science geek than an art geek, so I notice this stuff more.)

The book was also in sore need of a British beta reader - things like Mr. Darcy talking about his "ranch" made the dialogue as convincing as a Cockney Dick van Dyke.

Oh, I didn't mean it was more implausible. Just that kind of thing makes me cringe so much. Like when in plays set just before either of the world wars a character's stupidity is signalled by saying, in a tone that brooks no argument, that war is impossible. That scene in Titanic is the work of someone who once read a primer on 'show don't tell' writing and never forgot it. Real talking, as Tarantino realised long ago to his eternal credit, is neither plot nor character-driven. It is sufficient unto itself, like art.

Oh, I didn't mean it was more implausible. Just that kind of thing makes me cringe so much. Like when in plays set just before either ofthe world wars a character's stupidity is signalled by saying, in a tone that brooks no argument, that war is impossible. That scene in Titanic is the work of someone who once read a primer on 'show don't tell' writing and never forgot it. Real talking, as Tarantino realised long ago to his eternal credit, is neither plot nor character-driven. It is sufficient unto itself, like art.

I get what you mean. One of my pet hates is when a historical novel sets out to establish the heroes by giving them ostentatiously modern-day ideas about everything. To me it's far more interesting to show what made people tick and acknowledge that we're all short-sighted about something.

Take Paul Robeson - amazingly gifted man, far ahead of his time on so many issues, but he fell for Stalin hook, line, and sinker. I think that failing makes his story more interesting, not less.

Does hoping George RR Martin lives long enough to finish GOT count?

I get what you mean. One of my pet hates is when a historical novel sets out to establish the heroes by giving them ostentatiously modern-day ideas about everything. To me it's far more interesting to show what made people tick and acknowledge that we're all short-sighted about something.

Take Paul Robeson - amazingly gifted man, far ahead of his time on so many issues, but he fell for Stalin hook, line, and sinker. I think that failing makes his story more interesting, not less.

Authentic can get you in trouble. Until the mid 20s kids were considered small people with physical limits but good to go for work, responsibilities, and sexual relationships. Orphans often went to bordellos, to earn their room and board. My old man was in the military at the age of 13. I owned a shotgun when I was 3 years old. The real deal is too toxic for todays candy-asses.

Dahlink, I have given this A LOT of thought, in between packing the Piglet portmanteau for her trip up North. (She is also being taken to Burgundy; I have specified a bottle of white as a present and nominated my brother to choose it as he might also pay for one beyond the limits of Piglet pocket-money.)

There is of course Scheherazade who was saved from death and produced a story for 1000 extra nights.

arabian_nights.jpg

My proper nomination is Mary Wollstonecroft Shelley, daughter of Mary Wollstonecroft Godwin, the ... I don't want to say seminal, and oval is not right ... anyway she was THE totally revolutionary feminist writer.

Hey, I looked Mary Shelley up and I find she actually did write a few more novels than just Frankenstein! I must rush off and order them from Abe Books. The 'apocalyptic' novel: The Last Man sounds like it might have some heavy ideas about humanism in it, doesn't it?

Thank you, Montanos! Inspirational as ever.
:rose:

Back