Beta vs Editor and other questions.

stoneartly

Virgin
Joined
Mar 22, 2015
Posts
4
I think I need a beta reader more than an editor. My writing, with the exception of the occasional homophone gaffe, is technically okay. I do use non-standard verbiage sometimes, the current story has someone being fed and "beered." Yes, I know that is not a word

I currently have a story in process that I would like someone to read. I started off thinking I would write a short one-page story (1000 words) and submit it just to see what people thought. It has grown to just over 5000 words so far with the potential for being much greater in length. I would like someone to read it to give me their opinions on literary devices and style.

The first chapter is in 7 parts. It involves two sets of parents and their four children; it goes back and forth between two locations in the same 3 day time period. I hope it reads as a prelude to the children and parents discovering secrets about one another. I like to know if that works.

I'm trying to slide character development into the sexy parts as I write. I find reading something that starts off as a physical description is disturbing. Additionally, I like to leave a little to the imagination on characters looks and physicality. I mean I don't know what a large cock is, I just know that occasionally I sling mine over my shoulder.

I would also like for you to read it to see if anything yells: Rejection! Rejection! Rejection! I read the FAQ, changed the story presentation to meet the requirements (I hope) but one can never be sure.

The story if listed will be in the novel novella category. Right now it includes parts that would be considered loving wives, exhibitionism, erotic coupling, and incest.

I think that is all. Thanks in advance for your consideration. If you wish to read it shoot me an email.
 
Just as a technical point - the best editors do a lot more than just fix the technical aspects of your writing. A decent ed will not only evaluate your plot and characterisation, but comb through your writing for flow and tone as well. I'd recommend one over a beta reader any day, even if you feel like you writing is clean. Hope that helps, and best of luck finding one.
 
There are different kinds of editors. A decent copy editor isn't essentially going to be your coauthor and your crutch for not really being ready to be published.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top