What was the last book you read?

Almost done with the Bonesetter's daughter....but I misplaced it somewhere. :rolleyes:
 
JamesSD said:
The last book I read was David Searis's "Me Talk Pretty One Day". I really liked it.

Love David. Used to have all his books. You should read his new one "Dress Your Family In Courderoy and Denim"

He's a great guy if you ever get a chance to meet him. Also, you can sometimes hear him read his stuff on NPR on Saturdays, on This American Life
 
she_is_my_addiction said:
Love David. Used to have all his books. You should read his new one "Dress Your Family In Courderoy and Denim"

He's a great guy if you ever get a chance to meet him. Also, you can sometimes hear him read his stuff on NPR on Saturdays, on This American Life
Yeah, my first exposure to David actually was on NPR.

Dress Your Family is definitely on my to read list.
 
"Magdalena" by Sarah Aldridge.

Not a great novel, but a moving one.
 
have read

Churchill - A history etc. Very good.

John Harris. - A Kind of Courage. Good.

Denis Wheatley. - The Devil Rides Out. Brilliant first time round.

Nicholas Monserrat. The Cruel Sea. Very Good.

Enid Blighton. The Boy Next Door. Exciting when you are 9.

Wilkie Collins. The Woman in White. I had to read it eight or more times at school. I loved it in the end.

Shakesphere - Macbeth and Twelveth Night (old English spelling). Again I had to read them time and time again in school and almost look at every line in isolation. They were great.

Patrick Moore. Atlas of the Universe. Lovely pictures.
 
I just finished Nicci French's Killing Me Softly. a great book abou tloving obssessions and the passion involved. Slight references to BDSM but nothing explicit. I REALLY enjoyed it.
 
I recently finished reading "From the Borderlands" or "Borderlands V" (I think it's five), a short story collection. All the stories were fairly good. Stephen King's "The Stationary Bike" was the only one that stood out.

Reading one called "City of the Dead" right now, by Brian Keene (whom I've never heard of until now). Not bad, for an off-beat take on Zombies, and a second novel in a series I'm unfamiliar with.

Q_C

p.s. I almost bought the latest Analog, too, but grabbed "City of the Dead" instead.
 
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" (And I've just started re-reading "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", working my way through the series again so that by the time my friend returns 'Prince' I'll be ready to read it again. Sad case, me.)

"The Paladin" by C J Cherryh (I love Cherryh's work, but find some of them hard work. I'm still trying to get into 'Heavy Time')

"The Zen of CSS Design" by Dave Shea and Molly E Holzschlag.

Alex
 
ABSTRUSE said:
What's this one about?
It's about using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to control the layout of web pages. It's essentially the 'book of the web site' but a lot easier to read in bed :D

The web site is at http://www.csszengarden.com/ but is probably only of interest to designers. I got interested because I was working with first-year computing students doing basic web pages.

Alex
 
The Guardian
pretty good...dont know why but i seem to have had a run on nicholas sparks lately.
 
Behind closed doors ~ by Jenny Tomlin

Very sad but good read... :rose:
 
Mary Dorcey's 'Biography of Desire'

"Whatever happens between you and me, there's no going back. Even if I were never to see you again, I am changed forever by my love for you."
 
I just finished James Paterson's London Bridges. I am now reading his book "lifeguard"

If I could make a reccomend, I would tell you all to read his series about the bird kids. Lake house, beach house and I believe there is one more. Very interesting.
 
Kate Adie: Corsets to Camoflage - the history of women in wartime. The interesting part was what women did in World War 1. The British Establishment didn't want them anywhere near the trenches so the British volunteer nurses joined the Belgian, French and Serbian armies.

The FANYs (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry) in Belgium drove ambulances as close as possible to the fighting. They had learned to drive on the fathers' cars. They drove through artillery fire and on at least one occasion operated on the injured while the hospital staff were hiding in the shelters from shellfire. They were renowned for wearing massive fur coats (bought by daddy) as part of their uniform and were sometimes affectionately described as giant hamsters. Their ambulances had exposed driving positions - no roof and no windscreen because safety glass wasn't available.

Another group of nurses set up a casualty clearing station immediately behind the trenches and in range of the enemy guns. They worked there for three years until the German advance of Spring 1918.

The nurses in Serbia advanced and retreated with the Serbian army, sometimes carrying the injured many miles on stretchers.

They were a considerable contrast to their society sisters who would hand out white feathers to any man not in uniform knowing that they themselves didn't have to do anything for the war 'We don't want to lose you, but we think you ought to go...'

Almost all the nurses that went from the UK to the various fronts were unpaid and had to maintain themselves and their first aid supplies from their private incomes.

Og
 
A book that might interest you is "Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale" -- by Gillian Gill.
Not only is it an excellent biography of an extraordinary woman, but it also places her life and work in the context of her family and culture in a way not often found in most biographies.
 
The last book that I completed was The Once And Future King. Which I finished after the Half-Blood Prince. I have had the ONce and Future King for many years and it's taken me forever to get through it. I would recomend it to anyone who wanted an over-view of the Arthurian Ledgend, but other than that it was not an easy read. I read it out of interest in the subject and a desire to read what I felt would be be a good interpretation of the 'original' mythogy, before reading more modern takes on it. Parts of it were a lot of fun though. And to tell you the truth, now that I've made it through, I'll probably do a re-read. But I plan to check out *his* sources, esp. Mallory and the early celtic poems and then at some point read some of the newer stuff. I would recomend reading this book with a studyguide nearby. I had to look up a lot of unfamiliar stuff, and sometimes I just couldn't tell what was going on.

Recomended for scholarly readers only:)
 
I am currently reading through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am on Book 4 "The Shadow Rising"
 
I'm currently finishing "Trace" by Patricia Cornwell. I'm very much into crime stories right now - easy reading before university starts again.
 
In the last week or so:

The Reckoning, by Jeff Long. I read Descent, by this same author a couple of years ago, and couldn't get enough of it, so when I saw this book there was no question of skipping it. It has an otherwordly atmosphere, and it takes place in modern day Cambodia, when a photojournalist finds the trail of a lost U.S. Squadron. Good stuff.

People of the Raven, by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear. I've read most of their "People of the..." books, and the research and historical detail is amazing. Kathleen O'Neal Gear is a former state historian and archaeologist for Wyoming, Kansas, and Nebraska. Her husband is also an archaeologist. This story centers around the Kennewick Man (for those who haven't heard of it, he was a caucasion here in North America when it has been long thought to be nothing but pre-Indians, which are part of the general Asian group). Nice, interesting storyline.

Day of the Dead, by J. A. Jance. It's basically a murder mystery, with some twists and turns, but no real surprises.

The Confession, by Sheldon Siegel. Another murder mystery seen from the eyes of two defense lawyers. A priest is arrested for murder, yada, yada, yada. Better than the one before it on the list.

The Lonely Girls Club, by Suzanne Forster. Another mystery, but this one is a little different than most. There are two storylines going at the same time: one involving three very successful women in their mid-thirties (one is the First Lady), and the other involves those same three women back when they were 15, and were all scholarship students at a very exclusive finishing school. Good story.
 
Back
Top