To publish or not to publish?

So 15k would be 30 or so pages?

Just over 50 with 5"x8" size, which is the size of my 'professionally' published book.

I don't think you're going to get a paperback out of 15K. The minimum I've put to paperback was 25K, and the publisher had to do some fudging to make the minimum required to paperback that.

I wasn't expecting to either! But it was an interesting thing to do on a Saturday night. The ISBN was free, so it hasn't cost me anything except for time and the odd bit of cursing at Gimp.

Just over 50 with 5"x8" size, which is the size of my 'professionally' published book.

I wasn't expecting to either! But it was an interesting thing to do on a Saturday night. The ISBN was free, so it hasn't cost me anything except for time and the odd bit of cursing at Gimp.

Glad you managed to get it set up.

I'll say one thing here. I used to be a huge booster for free alternatives like Gimp. Then one day, I saw Photoshop Elements on sale ( I think it was around $40 ) and thought, "What the hell."

I'll never go back. Everything is a hundred times easier in Photoshop, and it's no more difficult to learn than Gimp.

Very thoughtful and generous!

Alright. I just self-published two months ago, so I can relate to your situation!

I waffled a bit, too. In short: do it. It's totally worth it. Kinda hectic and more work than you think it'll be, but a fantastic experience altogether.

Over Red, that was a very informative, thoughtful, and generous answer! Thanks for sharing the information and some of your personal experience. I have no interest in publishing at present, but I copied your advice for that "just in case" scenario. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

I'll say one thing here. I used to be a huge booster for free alternatives like Gimp. Then one day, I saw Photoshop Elements on sale ( I think it was around $40 ) and thought, "What the hell."

I'll never go back. Everything is a hundred times easier in Photoshop, and it's no more difficult to learn than Gimp.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Paintshop Pro. It's so easy to do things.

Now, with this nagging at me I went back and looked up some things.

Create space will charge $385-at least that was the price two years ago, for formatting. Now I don;t know if that is standard or based on length, but I did have that number from them in an e-mail when I was asking them a lot of questions.

My wife paid Balboa an outrageous amount, one I wouldn't even want to post here and I told her not to but "they know Heayhouse!" seemed to make it worth all the money.

Her second and now third books are being done through createspace. So far I have refrained from "I told you so" but she has not owned up with "You were right"

Ah, marriage.

Please could someone in the US click on >this< link and confirm that the novel is free please?

On another screen, it's showing as $0.99 and another as $1.24. :confused:

Back